Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle Saying No Way On R Wilson/R Wilson Contract (Merge)

dw49

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me wonder how much the organization thinks their winning is due to Wilson alone

It's obvious he isn't the only factor.

But he will get that kind of money somewhere and he has led his team to 2 Super Bowls in three seasons while winning one.

They'd be dumb not to pay him and I couldn't blame him if he went elsewhere to get his payday.

Brady is cited in an inconclusive report for maybe being aware of air ball pressure deflation in a 45-7 blow out win = Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds.

Colts fans ...

Inconclusive? Really?

There was definitely a conclusion.

Was that Ravens game a blowout too?

I'm surprised he intercepted it, you know, with how inflated it must have felt...

A 2nd gem in the same thread. Indigo is on fire right now. LOL! You sharp wit is like dragon fire tonight. You get an A+ for perfect sarcasm. I'm rolling on the floor. No really, I am.  :lol:

It's obvious he isn't the only factor.

But he will get that kind of money somewhere and he has led his team to 2 Super Bowls in three seasons while winning one.

They'd be dumb not to pay him and I couldn't blame him if he went elsewhere to get his payday.

I agree 100% RW is going to get paid eventually. He's not leaving the Pacific NW anytime soon, he's a superb, clean cut ambassador for Seattle. Franchise deals for elite QBs always get hammered out sooner or later. 

$20mill a year is just plain greedy

So, if Seahawks owner Paul Allen offered you $20,000,000 a year for say 4 years you'd walk away & say "That's just too rich for my blood" CM? Somehow, I highly doubt that. 

What you call greed; I call good ole USA capitalism. It's not like Russell robbed a bank. 1 SB ring & darn near another 1 back to back is worth a Brinks truck delivery to me. He's proven he belongs in elite QB company. 

I'd gladly pay him as say opposed to what Andy Dalton got who can't win 1 playoff game despite a juggernaut defense & battering ram ground game in Cincinnati I can promise you that much.  

Off topic:

Hey Indigo,

I can't remember if you're in my list of friends or not, but anybody that makes me laugh hysterically like you did in this thread automatically gets elevated there like winning a lifetime achievement award at the Academy of Motion Pictures. Nice work! Bravo! When you're hot, you're hot Indigo. 

It's not like getting inducted into the Rock-N-Roll HOF or anything like that. I just appreciate people with brilliant sarcasm & a fantastic sense of humor that's all. Keep it up!  :thmup:

My apologies for the brief detour everyone. Back on track now...

There are only around 1700 NFL players in the world. With the money the NFL makes the players deserve every penny they can get. The owners were having wind fall profits and that is why they must now pay at least 89% of the cap on players.

I would like to see all of these stadium's paid for by the actual team's and not taxpayers.  Let these teams and players pay for the building they work in like everybody else.  Their salaries would look a whole lot different if they were not subsidized by taxpayer money. 

Brady is cited in an inconclusive report for maybe being aware of air ball pressure deflation in a 45-7 blow out win = Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds.

Colts fans ...

While the Bonds,Armstrong comparisons are not great they do at least show a degree of consistency, i.e, a cheater is a cheater regardless of what they did.

BOTT's point is there was a double standard in perception by Pat's fans. One's choking, one's a great play by D despite being very similar plays.

So thank you for pointing out that Colt's fans are consistent in their opinions and don't look at things through fan tinted glasses. Flattery will get you everywhere. :P

Yes--just think how many years it would take someone who actually saves lives to earn that sort of money. They're footballers, and their 'market value' is way over the top for what they actually contribute to society. I understand the argument that their career could be over in a flash, but the average fan would probably take 200 yrs to earn that sort of money.

This couldn't be any further from the truth. There is a reason we're talking about him. We're responsible for his contract because of what he contributes to all of us.

So, if Seahawks owner Paul Allen offered you $20,000,000 a year for say 4 years you'd walk away & say "That's just too rich for my blood" CM? Somehow, I highly doubt that. 

What you call greed; I call good ole USA capitalism. It's not like Russell robbed a bank. 1 SB ring & darn near another 1 back to back is worth a Brinks truck delivery to me. He's proven he belongs in elite QB company. 

I'd gladly pay him as say opposed to what Andy Dalton got who can't win 1 playoff game despite a juggernaut defense & battering ram ground game in Cincinnati I can promise you that much.  

If the owner offered me the $10mill he is possibly offering I would take it in a heartbeat--fighting over the extra $10m is greedy.

And as for guys like Dalton and Cutler--they should be paying for the privilege of being in the NFL

If the owner offered me the $10mill he is possibly offering I would take it in a heartbeat--fighting over the extra $10m is greedy.

And as for guys like Dalton and Cutler--they should be paying for the privilege of being in the NFL

This statement gets me every time. You must be young.

You mean three years from now? He plays Year 4, then they tag him in Years 5 and 6, and he leaves before Year 7 to play baseball? After he's made $50m in six years, maybe. Doubtful, especially enduring a contract year, plus two tagged years, and now really having a chance to cash in in NFL free agency (after Luck's deal is on the books). He'll be 30 by then. Go play baseball at 30? Aaron Rodgers got $110m at 30 in 2014; what could Russell Wilson get in 2018?

I don't think it's really an option.

I'm saying he signs the first tag to get money but not the second tag.  And I'm not saying he take up baseball as a career but instead uses it to force the seahawks to pony up the dough.

He's a qb.  He has incredible leverage just by threatening not to play.  Seahawks don't want to suck again.

I fail to understand what age has to do with anything, but seeing you think it does, I'm 55 (so, yes I am young)

Because I would think that any adult would realize that what you said was completely unrealistic, and that you would literally be the first person to have that perspective when put in that position.

Colts fans ...

Every topic discussion turns into Brady vs this quarterback, this quarterback vs Brady. It gets old comparing him to every quarterback in existence. We get it already. 

I'm saying he signs the first tag to get money but not the second tag.  And I'm not saying he take up baseball as a career but instead uses it to force the seahawks to pony up the dough.

He's a qb.  He has incredible leverage just by threatening not to play.  Seahawks don't want to suck again.

I think him threatening not to play is as empty as a threat can possibly be. I can't see a 28-29 year old QB walking away from $28m guaranteed (or whatever the second tag would be; something in that range) to go play baseball for a tiny fraction of that. I think the Seahawks' reaction would be "yeah, okay Russell, when you're done pouting, why don't you come negotiate in good faith?" You don't threaten to go play in a different league because you can't reach terms on a long term contract, not when that different league isn't going to pay you anywhere near what you're asking for. 

If his contract situation were to drag on that long -- and I don't think it will, by the way; I think his deal gets done this offseason -- and the Seahawks were willing to use the tag on him a second time in a row, he really doesn't have any leverage. He can threaten to retire or go play baseball or whatever, but they have his rights until they relinquish those rights. 

I think him threatening not to play is as empty as a threat can possibly be. I can't see a 28-29 year old QB walking away from $28m guaranteed (or whatever the second tag would be; something in that range) to go play baseball for a tiny fraction of that. I think the Seahawks' reaction would be "yeah, okay Russell, when you're done pouting, why don't you come negotiate in good faith?" You don't threaten to go play in a different league because you can't reach terms on a long term contract, not when that different league isn't going to pay you anywhere near what you're asking for. 

If his contract situation were to drag on that long -- and I don't think it will, by the way; I think his deal gets done this offseason -- and the Seahawks were willing to use the tag on him a second time in a row, he really doesn't have any leverage. He can threaten to retire or go play baseball or whatever, but they have his rights until they relinquish those rights. 

I doubt he will, but honestly it's something I think I would do if I'm that unhappy about the tag.  

Yes--just think how many years it would take someone who actually saves lives to earn that sort of money.  They're footballers, and their 'market value' is way over the top for what they actually contribute to society.  I understand the argument that their career could be over in a flash, but the average fan would probably take 200 yrs to earn that sort of money.

This line of thinking is so wrong.  Wilson works hard at a profession that pays large amounts of money to the people in that profession.  It's not greedy when he asked to get paid his market value.  And no, his market value is not based on what he contributes to society nor should it be because the US is still a free market society (even though there are * who want to take this country away from a fee market society) his market value is based on the market for which he is employed.

Okay, go tell your boss you will work for half to 2/3rd of what another company is willing to pay you.

I doubt he will, but honestly it's something I think I would do if I'm that unhappy about the tag.  

Even though the 2nd tag would guarantee you 120% of the first tag ? Players don't get tagged twice as it's too expensive a contract for the club to handle. Who needs guaranteed money if the year one tag is around 20 million and the year 2 tag would have to be 20% more ? The problem with the tag is if you suffer a bad injury or play horribly in that 1st tag year. The second year tag is a massive payday....

you understand he would be in the minors several years before coming up to the bigs right? He probably wouldn't make 25 million in his entire baseball career

you understand he would be in the minors several years before coming up to the bigs right? He probably wouldn't make 25 million in his entire baseball career

I'm not talking about him seriously pursuing baseball.  It's a threat to get them to negotiate seriously.  

Heck he doesn't need to play baseball, just threaten not to sign the tag.  Let them know that you have no problem watching them go out there and suck again on TV because they won't pay you what you deserve.  

When they realize that even with a great defense that can't compete for championships without a quarterback, they will show him the money.  

I'm not talking about him seriously pursuing baseball. It's a threat to get them to negotiate seriously.

Heck he doesn't need to play baseball, just threaten not to sign the tag. Let them know that you have no problem watching them go out there and suck again on TV because they won't pay you what you deserve.

When they realize that even with a great defense that can't compete for championships without a quarterback, they will show him the money.

he will sign the 20+ million dollar tag. Seattle knows baseball isn't a real option for him. I'm guessing they get a contract done before it gets to that point though