Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle Saying No Way On R Wilson/R Wilson Contract (Merge)

dw49

Cash on hand is certainly not a problem for Paul Allen. He probably has 50 million hidden in his couch

Yup. It's all about structure. I honestly think they could have banged this contract out in 2 hours if they weren't trying to play hardball. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. It's all about structure. I honestly think they could have banged this contract out in 2 hours if they weren't trying to play hardball.

I understand the player wants to make all he can. But if he plays out his current deal, then somehow gets 5/125 next year. Its still less money in the long run than if he signs for 21 a season right now. As it stands he is only going to make 1.5 this year

Not really how it works. The whole point of signing bonuses (and other ways of doing bonus money) is to spread the impact of the cash over the life of the contract. You can do a five year proration, so a $30m signing bonus only counts $6m against the cap for a contract of 5+ years. Then you add his yearly "salary" on top of whatever prorated bonus there is. 

There are significant cap considerations, obviously, but the actual cash isn't an issue. They can use any number of mechanisms to lessen the blow of big bonus money. 

Thanks for clarifying. Did you read the ESPN article I posted because he claims the Hawks cannot give Wilson more than $20 mil bonus.

Thanks for clarifying. Did you read the ESPN article I posted because he claims the Hawks cannot give Wilson more than $20 mil bonus.

Yeah, I'm looking at it now. That's not really the point. They have about $10m in cap space remaining this year. If they give him a $30m signing bonus, for instance, that automatically increases his cap hit by $6m in 2015, (30 divided by 5 = 6) which means they only have $4m in cap space for the remainder of the season. But they can do a number of things to mitigate that.

1) They can restructure Jimmy Graham, and easily reduce his 2015 cap hit by about $3m.

2) They can split his signing bonus between 2015 and 2016, half as a signing bonus, half as a guaranteed option bonus in 2016. Or however you want to split it. That way his 2015 cap hit only rises by $3m in 2015. 

There are other options as well. That's not really a sticking point, it just means they have work to do. We already know that.

He may see the field, but his height is a good reason why he threw that interception. He wasn't tall enough to get the ball over the linemen and at a downward angle. Thus the ball was high at the chest and not in the receivers gut like it should have been. Had he been taller he would have been able to get the ball down more.

And we wouldn't be discussing this.

interesting point

Wow.  If I'm Russell Wilson, I take that contract very happily.  He has the league's best defense and one of the best RBs in the game to help him.  He's worth less than $21 mil per year, in my opinion.  If the Seahawks have offered that, I'd take it

If it's a good contract with good guarantees , I'm with you . But what do I know...