Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle Saying No Way On R Wilson/R Wilson Contract (Merge)

dw49

At least it's being reported that they are far apart....

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.

Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report seconds that.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it's being reported that they are far apart....

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.

Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report seconds that.

Wow. That is not good.

You wonder if they would be at this impasse if Wilson did not throw that pick in the SB.

If they use the tag on him the 2nd time isn't that going to be pretty close to what he wants per year anyways?

Wonder if Wilson will consider going and playing baseball as opposed to signing the tag.  

He might want to sign the first one just get get some money, but if they do it a second time and he wants to force their hand he could just say he's gonna go play baseball.

If they use the tag on him the 2nd time isn't that going to be pretty close to what he wants per year anyways?

Wonder if Wilson will consider going and playing baseball as opposed to signing the tag.  

He might want to sign the first one just get get some money, but if they do it a second time and he wants to force their hand he could just say he's gonna go play baseball.

He's not gonna go play baseball over a contract dispute. It would take him five to seven years to reach free agency in MLB. 

Wow. That is not good.

You wonder if they would be at this impasse if Wilson did not throw that pick in the SB.

Or maybe they don't want to commit top dollar on a great rusher/mediocre passer. Everyone knows those who run are most at risk of suffering a catastrophic injury.

Just for some perspective, Peyton Manning was franchise tagged twice, before receiving top QB money. Drew Brees was franchise tagged before being made the highest paid player in the NFL. Joe Flacco played out the final year of his contract. I think the noise about this is very premature, and ultimately won't matter.

He's not gonna go play baseball over a contract dispute. It would take him five to seven years to reach free agency in MLB. 

Ehh if he has some money he always could.  Just think about it. . .  Wilson plays out this contract, the seahawks tag him, he signs the tag and takes home 18 million.  

But the Seahawks still don't want to pay him.  So they tag him again for more money.  Not sure how much that would be 20 to 22 million but at no security or anything.

At this point the Seahawks are hurt more by losing Wilson then Wilson is by playing baseball.  Sure he doesn't make a lot of money, but he's banked enough to take care of himself for the rest of his life.  On the other hand the Seahawks go from the top of the NFL to the bottom half.  

I think threatening to play baseball will make the Seahawks more willing to give up more.  Then Seattle's only options are A. Throw the season. B. Show Wilson the money, C. Trade Wilson away to a team that will show him the money.

$20mill a year is just plain greedy

Everyone is greedy they just don't admit to it.  Wilson is well within his rights to demand market value for his play.  And 20M is probably on the cheap end for that.  Because I'm sure there is some teams out there that if Wilson became an FA would offer more then 20M for him.  

Just for some perspective, Peyton Manning was franchise tagged twice, before receiving top QB money. Drew Brees was franchise tagged before being made the highest paid player in the NFL. Joe Flacco played out the final year of his contract. I think the noise about this is very premature, and ultimately won't matter.

First of as you said , baseball is no option , nor is it IMO a negotiating chip. Secondly , again Imo , it's not surprising the two sides are far apart at this point in time. I'm sure his agent views him as a top 3-4 QB and thinks he should be paid accordingly. Seattle management on the other hand has a whole lot of very good players to retain and 20+ mill for RW would put a real stress on that process. Also I'm not sure he is a "no brainer" to be worth that kind of contract.

As far as the two years on franchising him , I can see one year but have a hard time thinking this is not such pure conjecture at this point regarding the "2 year plan,"

Greedy? You're going to think Luck is the greediest play in the NFL next year...

Yes--just think how many years it would take someone who actually saves lives to earn that sort of money.  They're footballers, and their 'market value' is way over the top for what they actually contribute to society.  I understand the argument that their career could be over in a flash, but the average fan would probably take 200 yrs to earn that sort of money.

I don't blame Wilson dw49. The Hawks have paid everyone but him. The secondary, Lynch, now he wants his.

I agree , it's his agent's job to get him as much as possible . As you infer... I don't see anyone else giving Seattle "discounted deals."

I do think this one is a bit like the Joe Flacco situation a few years back. You can really make argument to what his market value is. 20+ mill , like Rodgers is getting , Manning and Brady could get  and Luck will get. Or is it around 16-17 mill for a very nice QB that is not quite on that "top level ? "

Seattle's cap situation is going to be so brutal in a few years.  Wagner, the entire secondary, Jimmy Graham, Lynch, and Wilson...that's a lot of money in a handful of players.  I think this is why you should keep your mouth quiet if you're the owner or GM of a team.  They get excited and come out and tell the world they're going to give him the biggest contract in NFL history.  Now they're backtracking and they look silly.  Just don't go saying anything to the media and get the contract done instead of creating all this fanfare.  Regardless, as it has been stated before, this won't matter.  I think it's highly unlikely that Russell Wilson doesn't sign a long term contract with the Seahawks, be it this offseason, or after they use the franchise tag a couple of times.

I agree , it's his agent's job to get him as much as possible . As you infer... I don't see anyone else giving Seattle "discounted deals."

I do think this one is a bit like the Joe Flacco situation a few years back. You can really make argument to what his market value is. 20+ mill , like Rodgers is getting , Manning and Brady could get  and Luck will get. Or is it around 16-17 mill for a very nice QB that is not quite on that "top level ? "

Yes, his situation is complicated. He is a SB champion, been to two bowls and has a better passer rating than Flacco BUT as we have discussed, he is not a traditional pocket passer and his last two post season games were not good so Seattle is between a rock and a hard place. I don't blame Wilson for wanting 20 mil+ but agree with Seattle's FO that he is also probably not worth that- he is not Luck, Brady, or Rodgers.

Ehh if he has some money he always could.  Just think about it. . .  Wilson plays out this contract, the seahawks tag him, he signs the tag and takes home 18 million.  

But the Seahawks still don't want to pay him.  So they tag him again for more money.  Not sure how much that would be 20 to 22 million but at no security or anything.

At this point the Seahawks are hurt more by losing Wilson then Wilson is by playing baseball.  Sure he doesn't make a lot of money, but he's banked enough to take care of himself for the rest of his life.  On the other hand the Seahawks go from the top of the NFL to the bottom half.  

I think threatening to play baseball will make the Seahawks more willing to give up more.  Then Seattle's only options are A. Throw the season. B. Show Wilson the money, C. Trade Wilson away to a team that will show him the money.

You mean three years from now? He plays Year 4, then they tag him in Years 5 and 6, and he leaves before Year 7 to play baseball? After he's made $50m in six years, maybe. Doubtful, especially enduring a contract year, plus two tagged years, and now really having a chance to cash in in NFL free agency (after Luck's deal is on the books). He'll be 30 by then. Go play baseball at 30? Aaron Rodgers got $110m at 30 in 2014; what could Russell Wilson get in 2018?

I don't think it's really an option.

You mean three years from now? He plays Year 4, then they tag him in Years 5 and 6, and he leaves before Year 7 to play baseball? After he's made $50m in six years, maybe. Doubtful, especially enduring a contract year, plus two tagged years, and now really having a chance to cash in in NFL free agency (after Luck's deal is on the books). He'll be 30 by then. Go play baseball at 30? Aaron Rodgers got $110m at 30 in 2014; what could Russell Wilson get in 2018?

I don't think it's really an option.

The baseball option is for a star type player that wants to try doing both. D Sanders ... M Jordan come to mind. Bo Jackson was the freak of nature that did both. But even Jackson didn't try to go back to baseball at age 27 (RW turns that in Nov, 2015) and that's what this would entail. To think that Wilson could use that option as leverage to get a larger contract in this situation is laughable. Utterly impossible . He's would start off in low A ball at age 27.That in itself is a joke. But say he reaches the majors by age 30. Now he can't become a free agent until approx age 36. He could make 4-8 mill per year during his arbitration years but bottom line is by the time he's ready to sign a big contract , he's war past his peak. 

All he can do with baseball is threaten to try to play both unless they give him the contract he wants. No notable leverage there IMO.

Yes--just think how many years it would take someone who actually saves lives to earn that sort of money.  They're footballers, and their 'market value' is way over the top for what they actually contribute to society.  I understand the argument that their career could be over in a flash, but the average fan would probably take 200 yrs to earn that sort of money.

There are only around 1700 NFL players in the world. With the money the NFL makes the players deserve every penny they can get. The owners were having wind fall profits and that is why they must now pay at least 89% of the cap on players.

Which begs the question as to why Seattle wanted to get him done now. The Colts are going to wait to after next year to do Luck and may end up potentially franchising him ...

Which begs the question as to why Seattle wanted to get him done now. The Colts are going to wait to after next year to do Luck and may end up potentially franchising him ...

It doesn't beg that question. The Colts have a fifth year option for Luck.

Unfortunately, people aren't paid based on what they contribute to society. They're paid based on what they contribute to their company and/or industry. 

Yeah, almost as though he had seen the play call/formation on film, or something.

Uncanny.

Tracy Porter jumps route in SB = Manning is a choker

Butler jumps route in SB = great play by defense

Patriots fans.......

Wilson is a below average AAA baseball player there is no way he leaves football for baseball

Tracy Porter jumps route in SB = Manning is a choker

Butler jumps route in SB = great play by defense

Patriots fans.......

Brady is cited in an inconclusive report for maybe being aware of air ball pressure deflation in a 45-7 blow out win = Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds.

Colts fans ...