Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Spikes signed / released (merge)

amfootball

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Jamie Collins, Spikes was pretty much expendable.

Faster 40 yard time, higher vertical, same body weight >>>>> extra 10 reps on the bench press.

When you're 250 lbs and can hit fast at a 4.5x 40-yard-dash speed, it matters nothing what you can bench press.

Just wanted to make sure of something...........?

Is this still a website for Colts fans?

Are we allowed to post things too,  or it now only about the Patriots?

Seems like these ants are just never going to leave our picnic.....

I posted because I know Colts fans at one point were interested in Spikes as a run stopper. I didn't realize he had not signed anywhere. Not sure the Pats will even take him back but he visited ...

I am kind of surprised he hasn't generated more of a market. I figured by now he would of been snatched up by someone. I guess he pretty much is a one-trick pony.

I was surprised too which is why I posted the thread as I would have thought NE would not have been on his radar at all but perhaps no other teams wanted him. Buffalo had only signed him to a one year deal last year anyways. I think some of it may speak to the need in the NFL right now for LBs to be more athletic and be able to cover given all the guys in the backfield that can catch and the athletic TEs.

I was surprised too which is why I posted the thread as I would have thought NE would not have been on his radar at all but perhaps no other teams wanted him. Buffalo had only signed him to a one year deal last year anyways. I think some of it may speak to the need in the NFL right now for LBs to be more athletic and be able to cover given all the guys in the backfield that can catch and the athletic TEs.

Yeah I figured that there was no way he would go back to NE and I thought NE would want no part of him either. I agree that the NFL wants more athletic LBs to cover TEs and RBs. Spikes would of been a good linebacker and a hot commodity 10 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

They are slowly putting the pieces of the puzzle together one by one like they always do.  It's been interesting looking at all the different corners they've gotten rid of including today with Chekwa.  It seems weird at a glance, but I was looking over some of the young guys they picked up in the draft and UDFA and I think they'll be alright.  Guys like Daryl Roberts, Eric Patterson from Ball State, and King from Auburn are all big to decent sized corners who can run and play press man coverage.  Add them to the mix of what they already have and I think the Pats will still be okay back there.  Not as good as last year, but this game is about youth when it's all said and done.

• 2 weeks later...

It was just recently reported how Spikes rejoined the Pats and the story is quite interesting, http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/05/29/brandon-spikes-and-the-hoodie-kissed-and-made/wBvjPZiy1B7JUO2hZzjdUL/story.html?p1=feature_sec_hp.  Apparently it was Belichick that outreached to Spikes to see if he wanted to come back which surprised Spikes given how he left calling his time in NE "four years a slave."

It is always amazing to me how stories like this don't even register with the media as it does not fi the narrative of Belichick being the cold blooded GM that just cuts guys once they are no longer of service to him. Spikes left NE in terrible fashion. Trashing the team on the way out. That was just one year ago. And here is Bill outreaching to him to mend the fences and bring him back to help the NE defense vs the rush. Belichick never gets enough credit IMO for his player relation skills which have served him well as GM over this unprecedented run the last 15 years.

He's easily better than either of our starters. Unsurprisingly, the Colts aren't interested.

Must be your opinion of him is a little higher than GMs in the NFL that could use another ILB ? I see he signed for around 1.2 mill .. just about the same money as Irvin received from the Colts. In any event , it doesn't look like he attracted a whole lot of attention when you look at his 1 year deal at that #.

For what it's worth , I have a hard time understanding how one would consider him easily better than Freeman if healthy. 

Must be your opinion of him is a little higher than GMs in the NFL that could use another ILB ? I see he signed for around 1.2 mill .. just about the same money as Irvin received from the Colts. In any event , it doesn't look like he attracted a whole lot of attention when you look at his 1 year deal at that #.

For what it's worth , I have a hard time understanding how one would consider him easily better than Freeman if healthy. 

His value went down IMO because he left NE like a punk and then had a sub par year in Buffalo. In addition, he can't cover but is a beast against the run. He will be great for us on obvious run downs but will be a part-time player. Typical Bill signing. Gets the value he needs cheap for a player that had no job offer.

His value went down IMO because he left NE like a punk and then had a sub par year in Buffalo. In addition, he can't cover but is a beast against the run. He will be great for us on obvious run downs but will be a part-time player. Typical Bill signing. Gets the value he needs cheap for a player that had no job offer.

He just a guy IMO.

2 down ILB as you say. 

Freeman and Jackson (at this point in his career) are both average ILB talents. I think, if he heals up, Irving will be better than either of them.

Spikes has always been an excellent run defender and held his own in coverage. I really don't understand the lack of market for him. Pats got a steal.

Freeman and Jackson (at this point in his career) are both average ILB talents. I think, if he heals up, Irving will be better than either of them.

Spikes has always been an excellent run defender and held his own in coverage. I really don't understand the lack of market for him. Pats got a steal.

I'm not claiming to have watched film on Spikes but I've read he's bad in coverage.. not "holds his own" as you claim. If Grigson is paying Jackson just short of 6 mill and Freeman 2.4 and Spikes (1.3 mill) is way better as you suggest , we need a new GM. 

I'm not claiming to have watched film on Spikes but I've read he's bad in coverage.. not "holds his own" as you claim. If Grigson is paying Jackson just short of 6 mill and Freeman 2.4 and Spikes (1.3 mill) is way better as you suggest , we need a new GM.

maybe we do

He just a guy IMO.

2 down ILB as you say. 

Yes and no. He is great verse the run. He caused many fumbles from RBs when he was in NE which earned him the nickname sand man because he puts guys to sleep. I always kind of liked that one. :)

But yes, he is very limited in coverage so you are getting a 2 down guy but he is a great player for those 2 downs.

As a run stuffer there's little doubt, in my mind, that Spikes is better than either of our guys and in coverage he's better than Jackson, though, coverage certainly isn't his strength. As far as needing a new GM, well, 30 other GMs also didn't sign him. Like I said, it's a bit baffling to me.

Just wanted to make sure of something...........?

Is this still a website for Colts fans?

Are we allowed to post things too,  or it now only about the Patriots?

Seems like these ants are just never going to leave our picnic.....

I kind of like having them around..

Especially when week six rolls around and we finally bust through and step over that Patriots wall.

Spikes is phenomenal against the run but suspect against the pass.

We're paying Jackson $6 million a year to come in and stop the run [ since we all know he can't cover for a lick ]

Hmm.. Maybe we do need a GM..

I'm kidding obviously. I actually like Jackson..

Spikes is phenomenal against the run but suspect against the pass.

We're paying Jackson $6 million a year to come in and stop the run [ since we all know he can't cover for a lick ]

Hmm.. Maybe we do need a GM..

I'm kidding obviously. I actually like Jackson..

Jackson is making 5-6 times what Spikes will make this year and he's worse against the run and terrible in coverage. He seems like a great locker room guy (as long as no one orders pizza, amirite?) and a great leader, though.

I'm still bummed we didn't get Karlos Dansby last year, rather than DJ.

Jackson is making 5-6 times what Spikes will make this year and he's worse against the run and terrible in coverage. He seems like a great locker room guy (as long as no one orders pizza, amirite?) and a great leader, though.

I'm still bummed we didn't get Karlos Dansby last year, rather than DJ.

I thought Jackson had a decent year for us. He should benefit from our improved front seven this year. At least I hope.

I guess everyone forgot that Brandon Spikes is a documented knucklehead.

Yeah, when he left for Buffalo & made that "slave" comment I wasn't very impressed. Nice NE addition like you said AMF. Apparently, you can go home again. Who knew?  haha