Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something no one else is talking about after round 1

I'm still unsure on Mariota.  I feel like the Titans are going to trade him at some point this offseason.  I don't think he'll stay a Titan and I'm sure the teams that pursued him before will continue in that pursuit during the offseason (ie. the Eagles).  Maybe the Titans are waiting for teams to make more picks so they can get actual players in return instead of just draft picks?

I'm still unsure on Mariota.  I feel like the Titans are going to trade him at some point this offseason.  I don't think he'll stay a Titan and I'm sure the teams that pursued him before will continue in that pursuit during the offseason (ie. the Eagles).  Maybe the Titans are waiting for teams to make more picks so they can get actual players in return instead of just draft picks?

Certainly a possibility. Take him while the clock is ticking during the draft, then do the trade behind closed doors after all the hoopla and dust has settled. I've heard a few people theorize the exact same scenario prior to yesterday.

Word that I'm hearing is the Titans want him and plan on keeping him.  

I think a trade would have happened by now.  Nearly everyone knew Winston was going to the Bucs.  While there was a chance they take Mariota, I would have thought that the Titans would have fielded offers ahead of time and pulled the trigger on draft day.

Sounds to me like all the trade rumors where smoke and mirrors and the Titans planned on taking him and keeping him all along.

Personally I would have tried to package him for picks, but I don't really believe in him.  However if he turns out to be a legitimate franchise QB then he's priceless football wise.

Well we might not see them at the start of the season but I'm guessing they will be starting by the time the season is over.

With Mariota I think we just need to keep him in the pocket.

We're guaranteed to see Winston barring injury. You don't take a guy #1overall to ride the pine

I think it's unlikely as the first round is done. They would want to make their own pick rather than hope one of the teams that wanted Mariotta drafted a player they were interested in. I mean ya never know but that's not how these kinds of trades come down. 

It's official, we'll be playing Mariota and Jameis Winston next season, the first 2 overall picks in the draft. Thoughts?

My thoughts are simple: TB and TEN are two games we SHOULD win.

I am not sold on Mariota as a NFL long term starter. I said on the Colts chat on day one of the NFL Draft, I've had him as Vince Young II for a couple of years. I think he will have some short term success and then ultimately end up a bust based on the hype around him in some corners. I hope to be proven wrong as by all reports, he is as nice a guy as you will come across in the NFL.

I've had Winston as a winner in the NFL and watched most of his games since coming out of HS as a hyped "once in a generation" QB. He has that IT factor. Jameis makes all the throws and his team will follow him. I don't know what his ceiling is though he can be a winner in the NFL if he matures.

The sleeper in the NFL Draft at QB that I like, and BRAVO to NO, is Garrett Grayson. Grayson is in the ideal environment and I think he could be one guy that a lot of teams will regret passing on.

We're guaranteed to see Winston barring injury. You don't take a guy #1overall to ride the pine

Ehh you might give him some time.  Glennon is not a bad option really, I'd love it if we could get ahold of him as a backup. 

Seems like when Tennessee had Vince Young they gave us all sorts of fits...then when they switched to Kerry Collins our pass rush was able to get after him. We have to be disciplined in staying in our lanes but overall our pass defense is one of the best in the AFC...I like our chances against young qbs. The division is going to continue to tighten as these teams progress with Bortles and Mariota and that defense in Texas is getting better and better. 

Ehh you might give him some time.  Glennon is not a bad option really, I'd love it if we could get ahold of him as a backup. 

I wouldn't mind a young qb like that behind Luck....I was actually hoping for someone like Colt Mccoy that has proven he doesn't have starter stuff but always plays professionally and seems ready to step in. I was hoping Hasselbeck was going to retire as its been a long time since he has had to start and it wasn't like he was lighting it up down there in Tennessee when he was. Luck is about at the stage where he has about as much to share in the film room etc as someone can share with him. I think there is going to be several of these guys like Glennon etc get back up opportunities in the next few years and wouldn't suprise me to see us sign one.

I know that the Radio announcer for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Gene Deckerhoff, won't have a problem announcing Jameis Winston as the Bucs QB!!  Deckerhoff is also the Florida State University football radio announcer.  So he called Winston's game at FSU, an will continue to do so at Tampa Bay.  Kind of a funny factoid, to me.

I'm not sure how long it will take Mariota to get used to Whisenhunt's offensive scheme and start running it effectively.  We'll see if Mettinburger gets the initial starts out of pre-season or not. Whisenhunt wants Mariota to be ready game 1, but Mettinburger wants to compete for the starting job.   Next year, Mariota will be more formidable.  Winston will look good, but Tampa O line could be the achilles heel.

Word that I'm hearing is the Titans want him and plan on keeping him.  

I think a trade would have happened by now.  Nearly everyone knew Winston was going to the Bucs.  While there was a chance they take Mariota, I would have thought that the Titans would have fielded offers ahead of time and pulled the trigger on draft day.

Sounds to me like all the trade rumors where smoke and mirrors and the Titans planned on taking him and keeping him all along.

Personally I would have tried to package him for picks, but I don't really believe in him.  However if he turns out to be a legitimate franchise QB then he's priceless football wise.

I think the trade rumors were legit.  I just think that a deal couldn't be reached or TEN changed mind at last second.  Because, if they were intending on taking him all along there is no need for "smoke and mirrors" because he was their's for the taking, they didn't need to use "smoke and mirror" tactics to get him to fall.

I think the Titans really wanted Rivers, but they couldn't come to terms with the Chargers. I also think the Bears and Eagles really wanted Mariota, but the Titans didn't want anything to do with Cutler or Bradford, and the price tag was too high without those QB's being a significant part of the trade. 

It's just that type of QB (inexperienced or bad) that our D turns into Joe Montana.

Be very afraid...

Last year those types of QBs made our D look like the 1985 Bears. We have to be scared of the teams that can run it down our throats or have coaches that can scheme for our press coverage.

It's official, we'll be playing Mariota and Jameis Winston next season, the first 2 overall picks in the draft. Thoughts?

Gee, AFC South teams with actual NFL QB talent. The 6-0 Division record will soon be at risk. Andrew, Chuck and Grigson are17-1 in the South.