Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you hate the Dorsett pick, you might not understand chess.

So many people griping about the Pat fans laughing at us because their team will be able to continue to run all over ours.  It seems to be that if Grigson and BB are playing chess, then Grigson just made a move that should scare the heck out of Pat fans.  If the Pats had our receiving corps and we had their CBs, you'd all be freakin' out right now!  Honestly, if we have T.Y. and Dorsett on the field at the same time with some of our other mismatches (AJ, Fleener, Moncrief), how in Sam Hill are they gonna cover them all?  Not to mention that we have what is likey to be the NFL's best QB this year.  I'd say the Pats are in "check", and they don't have a lot of counter-moves they can make. 

Belichick is playing chess. Grigson is playing checkers.

You are 100% correct. The Patriots are not afraid of anyone we could ever field on offense because their team is better built and coached.

Griswold could not play chess with BB.  Griswold is playing checkers.  No way the Pats care about an offensive piece we added, especially a receiver.  He's seen this now for 17 years,  The pick was terrible considering lessons learned over the years (or apparrenty not learned) and glaring needs.  End of story.

So many people griping about the Pat fans laughing at us because their team will be able to continue to run all over ours.  It seems to be that if Grigson and BB are playing chess, then Grigson just made a move that should scare the heck out of Pat fans.  If the Pats had our receiving corps and we had their CBs, you'd all be freakin' out right now!  Honestly, if we have T.Y. and Dorsett on the field at the same time with some of our other mismatches (AJ, Fleener, Moncrief), how in Sam Hill are they gonna cover them all?  Not to mention that we have what is likey to be the NFL's best QB this year.  I'd say the Pats are in "check", and they don't have a lot of counter-moves they can make. 

The Pats have been adding depth and rushers to their front 7 to off-set the young secondary. They also picked up the 5th options on Hightower and Jones so they are going full bore with making their front 7 more dominant to take pressure off the secondary. We will see how it shakes out.

We could have traded back into round 2 and gotten two of the following: DL, Edge rusher, NT or S.  Excellent talent left for today.  Dorsett may be BPA, but we did not need another WR.  I sat and watched draft for 3 1/2 hrs and then with great excitement and anticipation waited for the Colts' pick.  Holding my breath, fidgity and nervous, A NT, S, Edge rusher (Gregory stil there)......WHAT!  A WR?  No!  tell me it aint so.  Wow, after the Trent Richardson screwup, you would have thought that Griggs would have taken a defensive player so that we could "Stop the run" and be competitive with the Pats and Steelers and other rushing teams.  Really concerned.  any thoughts?

We could have traded back into round 2 and gotten two of the following: DL, Edge rusher, NT or S. Excellent talent left for today. Dorsett may be BPA, but we did not need another WR. I sat and watched draft for 3 1/2 hrs and then with great excitement and anticipation waited for the Colts' pick. Holding my breath, fidgity and nervous, A NT, S, Edge rusher (Gregory stil there)......WHAT! A WR? No! tell me it aint so. Wow, after the Trent Richardson screwup, you would have thought that Griggs would have taken a defensive player so that we could "Stop the run" and be competitive with the Pats and Steelers and other rushing teams. Really concerned. any thoughts?

Without Luck we would be the Browns. The level of ineptitude our coaches and front office have reached is embarrassing.

Guys, I think the doom and gloomers on this site are really over-estimating  the # of holes we have on this D!  Did you realize we had the #11 D (or something like that) last year?  Yeah, yeah, yeah, 6 AFC South games, I know.  But we added an explosive player with some special traits (I guess "Blue Traits" is Grigson's new term).  I don't think the same thing can be said about about Malcom Brown or whatever Defensive player y'all wanted.  Honestly, he's more likely to be the second coming of Fili Moala than the second coming of Richard Seymore.  No Blue Traits in him, just generally good physical traits and game tape.

First, you shouldn't give Grigson credit for making a move based on some type of incredible knowledge where he's thinking 10 steps ahead. He made a foolish decision based on who was the BPA, and from the press conference it seems to be mostly because he ran a 4.3 that he was even that high up on the board to begin with. At this point Grigson is starting to sound like Al Davis.

But to your other point about how people will cover them all, it's not that simple. Do you really think no one has thought to do that  before? Just stack up at WR and try to have an un-coverable receiving core. It doesn't work and it won't work because it's not hard to scheme for that. You line up with 4-5 WRs every play and you give your QB 5 different progressions to go through. On top of that you have to make sure that the routes they're running don't intersect and throw each other off, and there is only so much field to work with. And we haven't even calculated in pass rush yet.

This wasn't a chess move. It was a foolish move made by a GM who has very questionable values when evaluating prospects. It has just finally come to light that the Colts will never draft great defensive players under Grigson because he doesn't have an eye for defensive talent and puts more value in offense than anything else.

Yeah right!!! If Luck is running for his life and we can't run the ball still, how is Luck going to find his "plethora" of weapons we have drafted for him?

Same way Peyton couldn't find Harrison, Wayne, Stokely and Clark when Diem was getting delayed blitzes from Bruschi/McGinnest, Lilja was getting blitzed by Joey Porter, and same way Peyton was on the sidelines with the other team having 7 and 8 minute drives against his DL.

who cares if we have better WRs than their CB's. They have inferior WR's that get open 3-5 yards down the field and a sub par runningback who looks like a pro bowler everytime he faces us. Our WR's will get to watch from the bench while the Patriots sustain 5-7 minute drives, then Luck will go back out there and try to get it all back with 2 throws and make dumb mistakes bc he knows he can't come back to the bench with no points knowing he will be sitting there another 6 minutes of game time.

Your 11 hours straight of overreaction is embarrassing, go get your username and password for the patriots forum and kiss bill and tom's butt over there...it's not what I would've done with our first, but the whining filling up every post is annoying, 8 picks left and lots of good players

We just need to get some young playmakers on defense. Dorsett is a luxury. A big run stuffing DT, a ball hawking safety, or a ILB with coverage skills is a necessity. We just need to start getting some good young players on defense.

So many people griping about the Pat fans laughing at us because their team will be able to continue to run all over ours. It seems to be that if Grigson and BB are playing chess, then Grigson just made a move that should scare the heck out of Pat fans. If the Pats had our receiving corps and we had their CBs, you'd all be freakin' out right now! Honestly, if we have T.Y. and Dorsett on the field at the same time with some of our other mismatches (AJ, Fleener, Moncrief), how in Sam Hill are they gonna cover them all? Not to mention that we have what is likey to be the NFL's best QB this year. I'd say the Pats are in "check", and they don't have a lot of counter-moves they can make.

Just how is Luck going to get them the ball if Malcolm Brown, Hightower, Collins, Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, et al., are rushing a mediocre o-line?

Didn't Luck get hit a ton last season?

Yeah right!!! If Luck is running for his life and we can't run the ball still, how is Luck going to find his "plethora" of weapons we have drafted for him?

Same way Peyton couldn't find Harrison, Wayne, Stokely and Clark when Diem was getting delayed blitzes from Bruschi/McGinnest, Lilja was getting blitzed by Joey Porter, and same way Peyton was on the sidelines with the other team having 7 and 8 minute drives against his DL.

I understand the disappointment...but you were the first guy on this board that I remember who recognized the need for the pendulum to swing back toward the smaller speed receiver that can get separation in the NFL.  You beat great coverage teams like Seattle with guys like Emanuel Sanders (you recognized the counter-move immediately when the bronchos made it).  Sanders even had Toler beat 2 or 3 times in the playoff game...but Manning wasn't himself and couldn't convert it.

I wish that a defender would've been BPA, but I'm sure glad we used our first pick on a guy that will likely be a difference-maker for 10 years.  When the dust settles, you'll be on board with that.  

Look, I think Dorsett is one of the best young men in this draft with his million dollar smile and great character. But unless he turns out to be the next Antonio Brown or souped up version of Hilton, I still don't understand the pick. You can have all the WRs you want, but if the Pats can continue to run the ball down our throats, it keeps our offense off the field. Remember, the faster Indy scores, the faster the defense has to get back on the field.

And they just upped their pass rush with Malcom Brown so how are we gonna keep Luck clean and give him time to get the ball to all these weapons?

People are going to love him once the games start, the guy can ball, patriots have no corners to hang. Now these next two rounds has to address this run D for sure then all will be well(although we missed out on Malcolm Brown)

If not, the only hope is to get home field advantage and win a 41-37 shootout vs pats

I understand the disappointment...but you were the first guy on this board that I remember who recognized the need for the pendulum to swing back toward the smaller speed receiver that can get separation in the NFL.  You beat great coverage teams like Seattle with guys like Emanuel Sanders (you recognized the counter-move immediately when the bronchos made it).  Sanders even had Toler beat 2 or 3 times in the playoff game...but Manning wasn't himself and couldn't convert it.

I wish that a defender would've been BPA, but I'm sure glad we used our first pick on a guy that will likely be a difference-maker for 10 years.  When the dust settles, you'll be on board with that.  

True. But Grigson has established in 3 years of drafting he can get those playmakers like T.Y.Hilton and Moncrief in rounds 3. Since his evaluation of skill positions is good enough to find later round playmakers at the WR position, I did not understand this pick.

One thing to note is....I have not seen anyone really complain about the player named Phillip Dorsett.

We just question the 1st round selection when there were some defensive beasts to be had.  I think Dorsett is a great kid and will be great for the city of Indianapolis.

Agree 100%. All the weapons we had in the past and still couldn't win a SB until our defense stepped up and were able to run the ball. One SB is nice but really wanted to step up and build a power in the trenches for once and have chances to win multiple ones. Unfortunately, starting to really fill we are gonna waste Luck like we did with Peyton. Hope I am totally wrong.

True. But Grigson has established in 3 years of drafting he can get those playmakers like T.Y.Hilton and Moncrief in rounds 3. Since his evaluation of skill positions is good enough to find later round playmakers at the WR position, I did not understand this pick.

Philosophically - no argument, but Grigs has to live with projections of performance delta, and I assume that, for our scheme, he didn't see the performance delta between Malcom Brown and other DL on his board and does see if for Dorsett.  

I think it is a safe bet that Grigs and Pags both wanted BPA to be a defensive stud - they'd have a whole lot fewer questions to answer right now.  They are leading rather than pandering.  Ultimately, they'll keep their jobs or lose them based on the convictions they acted on.  I can live with that....not sure why so many can't right now.

The Pats have been adding depth and rushers to their front 7 to off-set the young secondary. They also picked up the 5th options on Hightower and Jones so they are going full bore with making their front 7 more dominant to take pressure off the secondary. We will see how it shakes out.

Honestly if the Colts don't fix their O-line this could be the undoing. If they can land a good O-lineman today I like their chances against anyone in the world, but with Cherlius coming off injury and Reitz so injury prone, I don't know how we're going to run the football against a team like the Pats.

At some point, you just have to ask yourself, what the heck is going on here. A wide receiver? What?!

What happened to "power run"? Grigson just scrapping that plan already?

I immediately thought of this forum when I saw they took a 5'10 WR. The only thing dumber would have been them taking a QB in the first. 

At some point, you just have to ask yourself, what the heck is going on here. A wide receiver? What?!

What happened to "power run"? Grigson just scrapping that plan already?

I immediately thought of this forum when I saw they took a 5'10 WR. The only thing dumber would have been them taking a QB in the first. 

Says the Browns fan, whose team gave a center $8m/year, then drafted a center at #19.

And then the derisiveness toward a "5'10" WR", when Antonio Brown rips the Browns apart twice a year...

We could have traded back into round 2 and gotten two of the following: DL, Edge rusher, NT or S.  Excellent talent left for today.  Dorsett may be BPA, but we did not need another WR.  I sat and watched draft for 3 1/2 hrs and then with great excitement and anticipation waited for the Colts' pick.  Holding my breath, fidgity and nervous, A NT, S, Edge rusher (Gregory stil there)......WHAT!  A WR?  No!  tell me it aint so.  Wow, after the Trent Richardson screwup, you would have thought that Griggs would have taken a defensive player so that we could "Stop the run" and be competitive with the Pats and Steelers and other rushing teams.  Really concerned.  any thoughts?

There are still defensive guys left lots of them!

I would now like some Carl Davis please!!

That would be an excellent outcome.

As for those who are clamboring for a RT, please remember that there is a learning curve at that position..........getting a drafted player to start there this season would be lucky.  Lets give the brain trust a chance to pick some solid defensive players tonight, and head into Day 3 with a full head of steam.

Just how is Luck going to get them the ball if Malcolm Brown, Hightower, Collins, Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, et al., are rushing a mediocre o-line?

Didn't Luck get hit a ton last season?

You do realize that you just named a pretty mediocre group of pass-rusher, don't you?  Our O-line is just about to come into its own, and you're jumping ship at the wrong time. 

You have 5 great receivers but still an average Offensive Line with a lot of questionmarks (Holmes, Cherilus...) and a Defense that got destroyed by the Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots (twice). Look i really like Dorsett and he is a great player, he was probably the best player available (so was Werner? so was Richardson?) but I honestly fear that we are repeating the mistakes we did in the Manning years: A great Offense but an unbalanced team with an average Offensive Line and a average Defense at best. I thought this was one of the reasons we restarted the whole team. 

You do realize that you just named a pretty mediocre group of pass-rusher, don't you? Our O-line is just about to come into its own, and you're jumping ship at the wrong time.

I hope you're right about our O-line. I like Castonzo and Mewhort, I think Herremans was a good short term add. Gosder's injury problems are a huge concern IMO, but we may add another lineman today.

Just talking round 1 comparisons, they'd have to hope that their 330 pound DT can knock over Holmes and get to (or catch)Luck quicker than our 4.25 WR can break off his route and catch the ball. I like our chances a lot.

And if Thomas and Cherilous come back, the Oline is probably very good. We don't really have enough info to judge that, however.