Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what sleeper / "reach" would you be okay with in the 1st?

assuming we can't trade down (every team wants to trade down, very few actually end up being able to), there's a good chance Grigson takes someone that most fans have a 2nd round grade on.

-personally, a guy I really like is ILB Stephone Anthony out of Clemson.

-safety Damarious Randall out of Arizona State is another obvious possibility that has been discussed many times.

-CB/S Eric Rowe out of Utah has gotten some buzz as a 1st rounder, but I still see him as a 2nd round grade who I could see being an acceptable pick at 29.

-a couple other fringe 1st rounders worthy of the pick could be OT Jake Fisher or OLB Eli Harold.

what say you?

Fisher is starting to get a lot of buzz as well as Eric Rowe. I would rather have Rowe over Randall since he can play safety and CB. If we want a pure FS though, Randall. Not a sleeper, but Landon Collins seems to be falling like a rock, but I can't see because all of the smoke. With all these players clustered at the end of the 1st, if we could trade back around 5-6 picks, pick up a late 3rd or early 4th, I think we would get one of the players we want.

I will not only give you a presumed reach I would be OK with. I will give you a real possibility at #29.

Denzel Perryman.

I am serious. Perryman is the biggest hitter in this draft.

Yes, but he is only a 2 down player, he cannot cover. So you don't get a 2 round ILB who can't cover in the first. Only Kendricks would fit with us in the first. He is rated the best cover guy of all the linebackers. He would really help. I would not have to worry about DQ getting torched.

Yes, but he is only a 2 down player, he cannot cover. So you don't get a 2 round ILB who can't cover in the first. Only Kendricks would fit with us in the first. He is rated the best cover guy of all the linebackers. He would really help. I would not have to worry about DQ getting torched.

Perryman is the take on linebacker, and he stops the run. Pair him with Freeman and we won't see Perryman much in pass coverage. 

Perryman is the take on linebacker, and he stops the run. Pair him with Freeman and we won't see Perryman much in pass coverage.

I'm fine with Perryman or Kendricks. No other ILB is worth our top 2 picks imo. Indy has never had a playmaker at LB and I feel like these 2 could be that.

Perryman makes Jackson expendable and Freeman and him could become an amazing duo. Kendricks could replace Freeman but then we have another hole to fill next year.

I'm fine with Perryman or Kendricks. No other ILB is worth our top 2 picks imo. Indy has never had a playmaker at LB and I feel like these 2 could be that.

Perryman makes Jackson expendable and Freeman and him could become an amazing duo. Kendricks could replace Freeman but then we have another hole to fill next year.

Huh? Duane Bickett, Jeff Herrod, Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, hell I would even throw in Clint Session... The Colts have had a good handful of playmakers at LB.

i don't think he would have to just play 3 tech if he added a little weight i think he could play Nose as well as End

He's right at or just a tick over 300lbs... I wouldn't want him adding any weight, especially at his height. I think it would hinder a lot of the mobility/agility he brings to the table at his size.

although Preston Smith would also be on my list really like how he would be in our scheme guy just jumps out to me when i watch his game tape

Preston Smith is someone I havent watched much.  I have heard that he has great versatility though, and have even heard him compared to Pernell McPhee (who I wanted in free agency).  any validity to that?

Preston Smith is someone I havent watched much.  I have heard that he has great versatility though, and have even heard him compared to Pernell McPhee (who I wanted in free agency).  any validity to that?

quite a bit actually he has the strength to play at the line and get consistent pressure and the speed to come off the edge very impressive prospect

Perryman's position is where Dqwell plays.

Since he's practically locked into a 2-year deal,  I see no chance that we're cutting him and so I don't want to spend a 1st R pick on a guy who won't have a position for a year.

Jarrett doesn't fit out scheme.    Not even close.   He's 6'1" and 305.     Who have we had in the Grigson years that fits that description?      No one.     He's not a NT,   he's not a DE,   he's not a DT,   at least not in our system.

Kendricks I could support.    I guess Randall, I could support.   If Pagano is signing off on him,  then OK.   But I don't think we're getting the value for the 29th overall pick.    

Not sure if Fisher or Oghbughi (sp?) are fits.    I think they're ZBS guys and not power/man blockers.

This is not a pick that can be blown.     Honestly,  I'd simply rather trade down and get a 4.   I think we'd be able to do that.

Trade down targets are guys we've already listed.    All the above names,  plus guys like Phillips and Davis.

I hate taking a guy who should be available in the 2nd round with a 1st round pick.    I hope that doesn't happen.

Did I mention we can't blow this pick?

Jarrett doesn't fit out scheme.    Not even close.   He's 6'1" and 305.     Who have we had in the Grigson years that fits that description?      No one.     He's not a NT,   he's not a DE,   he's not a DT,   at least not in our system.

Sure he does. He would fit in just fine at the 3tech spot. Not only that, he would slide in as a 1 in nickel packages. RJF fit, and he's roughly the same build, however his contract DID NOT fit.

Sure he does. He would fit in just fine at the 3tech spot. Not only that, he would slide in as a 1 in nickel packages. RJF fit, and he's roughly the same build, however his contract DID NOT fit.

Jarrett is smaller than RJF and is a one-gap DL with shorter arms.

I think he's a bad scheme fit.   Everything I read says he's a bad fit.

Feels very much to me like a poor man's Aaron Donald.    I hope that's taken as very high praise because that's how it's intended...     But as this NFL.com profile explains,  he's a 4-3 guy and not a 3-4 guy.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/grady-jarrett?id=2552327

I'm happy to read something that says otherwise if you can find it.....

Jarrett is smaller than RJF and is a one-gap DL with shorter arms.

I think he's a bad scheme fit.   Everything I read says he's a bad fit.

Feels very much to me like a poor man's Aaron Donald.    I hope that's taken as very high praise because that's how it's intended...     But as this NFL.com profile explains,  he's a 4-3 guy and not a 3-4 guy.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/grady-jarrett?id=2552327

I'm happy to read something that says otherwise if you can find it.....

Jarrett is shorter but bigger than RJF. I believe he would be stouter against the run and better as a pass rusher at the 3tech spot than RJF was.

"I think grades on him will really vary since the only real fit for him is in a 1-gap 4-3 defense on the nose."

Again, in our nickel packages he would be used exclusively there, and probably paired with Art Jones. As much as the Colts switch in and out of their 3man and 4man fronts, I think Jarrett could easily be a fit.

Huh? Duane Bickett, Jeff Herrod, Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, hell I would even throw in Clint Session... The Colts have had a good handful of playmakers at LB.

You considered Clint a playmaker? I think our definitions are a tad off. Either way I cant speak much for anything older than the Manning years as I'm young but I don't hold Session in very high regard as a LB. we had LB that exceed in one area but just flat out useless in others. But routinely would have the middle of our defense soft. I want the middle of our defense to be the hardest thing to run on and catches over the middle punished. And I can't seem to recall having that in the past 18ish years I've watched Colts football.

Fisher is starting to get a lot of buzz as well as Eric Rowe. I would rather have Rowe over Randall since he can play safety and CB. If we want a pure FS though, Randall. Not a sleeper, but Landon Collins seems to be falling like a rock, but I can't see because all of the smoke. With all these players clustered at the end of the 1st, if we could trade back around 5-6 picks, pick up a late 3rd or early 4th, I think we would get one of the players we want.

Randall also played S and CB for Arizona State like Eric Rowe did for Utah.