Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign UDFA Demarco Cox

RockThatBlue

Another project player?

Ya, it's nice that Grigson turns over all these rocks looking for talent but I doubt he even makes the roster. Playing T in the NFL is one of the most difficult positions to learn, and most important, especially when you are protecting the franchise. Keep drafting players like Mewhort Mr. Grigson, I'll feel much better!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, it's nice that Grigson turns over all these rocks looking for talent but I doubt he even makes the roster. Playing T in the NFL is one of the most difficult positions to learn, and most important, especially when you are protecting the franchise. Keep drafting players like Mewhort Mr. Grigson, I'll feel much better!

I doubt it too, but I'll hold my judgement.  Joe Reitz never played Tackle in college either, he was a converted basketball player. At least offensive line/offensive tackle is not foreign for Cox, he's just indulging on a higher level now.  It won't be as foreign as Danny Adongos' transition from Rugby to Football.  At least Cox was a high school all star at the position.  Hopefully he can get back on the bike and ride it like he used to.

I doubt it too, but I'll hold my judgement.  Joe Reitz never played Tackle in college either, he was a converted basketball player.

At least offensive line/offensive tackle is not foreign for Cox, he's just indulging on a higher level now.  It won't be as foreign as Danny Adongos' transition from Rugby to Football.  At least Cox was a high school all star at the position.  Hopefully he can get back on the bike and ride it like he used to.

Ya, I don't want to discount the guy altogether but even a guy that was a great high school tackle is going to have a lot to learn to be doing it in the NFL. I may be wrong but didn't Reitz play a lot of G before transitioning recently to T?? And when I say a lot, I mean like 3 or 4 seasons?

Ya, I don't want to discount the guy altogether but even a guy that was a great high school tackle is going to have a lot to learn to be doing it in the NFL. I may be wrong but didn't Reitz play a lot of G before transitioning recently to T?? And when I say a lot, I mean like 3 or 4 seasons?

I mean he never played any of that in College.  Same as or similar to Cox

Reitz got most if not all his experience in the Pros.

For the Colts, Joe Reitzicon-article-link.gif had a very similar collegiate resume to that of Cox. Reitz played just basketball in college (Western Michigan), before heading back to football, where he was an All-State participant in high school.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Sign-Former-Basketball-Player-Demarco-Cox/bd68917f-61df-44af-ae32-d4e9698b4fb0

I mean he never played any of that in College.  Same as or similar to Cox

Reitz got most if not all his experience in the Pros.

I understand that he didn't play football in college. Im saying when he did begin to play in the NFL he began at G, if I'm not mistaken, which is a much less demanding position when it comes to athleticism and footwork compared to playing T in the NFL. That's all I'm saying. If this Cox guy can go from no college ball to being a contributor at T in the NFL right away I'd say that pretty amazing and a long shot obviously.

He'll gain weight.

But he shouldn't be 300 until next year.

He won't (or shouldn't) be 300 by camp.    That's too much weight way too fast.    It won't be good weight.

Feels like a candidate for the practice squad for 2 years...  or even three.    And that's fine.   As long as the kid wants to get better, he appears to have good tools to work with.

Good for Grigson.    Good for the Colts.     Like it!    :thmup:

Very similar to Ulrick John.  He was about 280 when he was drafted late....he is at 300 now.

The Colts are very high on John.  Good to have the future learning the system.

I understand that he didn't play football in college. Im saying when he did begin to play in the NFL he began at G, if I'm not mistaken, which is a much less demanding position when it comes to athleticism and footwork compared to playing T in the NFL. That's all I'm saying. If this Cox guy can go from no college ball to being a contributor at T in the NFL right away I'd say that pretty amazing and a long shot obviously.

I don't think anyone is looking at him to be an immediate contributor.  He most likely will be on the practice squad if he makes it at all.  

Agreed, it would probably mean he'd beat out John. At least at this point, assuming we don't draft another T.

I imagine he'll be on the PS, although sometimes these guys get mysterious injuries and we hide them on the IR. Especially if he shows real promise.

Basketball power forward or C to football OT seems like a natural. They usually have the bulk and mobility. Can't wait to see how he does.

With WHAT football background do you see him fighting for a spot in the rotation?

From what I can tell here,  he last played football in high school.

O-line    Marcus Pollard  worked out pretty well for the Colts its worth the shot .  everyone says fix the o-line & d-line Grigson  realizes our weaknesses & he's addressed them pretty well this FA period & I look forward to the draft obviously our Colts have many holes to fill .

Despite the fact he never played college football,[1] Pollard was signed by the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent in 1995. He developed into one of the better pass-catching tight ends while with the Colts. His best season was 2001, when he totaled 47 receptions and 8 touchdowns, including one for 86 yards.

O-line    Marcus Pollard  worked out pretty well for the Colts its worth the shot .  everyone says fix the o-line & d-line Grigson  realizes our weaknesses & he's addressed them pretty well this FA period & I look forward to the draft obviously our Colts have many holes to fill .

Despite the fact he never played college football,[1] Pollard was signed by the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent in 1995. He developed into one of the better pass-catching tight ends while with the Colts. His best season was 2001, when he totaled 47 receptions and 8 touchdowns, including one for 86 yards.

I understand the concept.    And I'm not saying he's never going to make the team.

I just think the idea of him fighting for a spot on our 53-man roster is -- at best -- a long shot.   If he makes the practice squad I'll be very happy and hopeful for a long-term payoff....

I understand the concept.    And I'm not saying he's never going to make the team.

I just think the idea of him fighting for a spot on our 53-man roster is -- at best -- a long shot.   If he makes the practice squad I'll be very happy and hopeful for a long-term payoff....

So few NFL teams so many players ready to enter the NFL each year at best its always a long shot IMO thats what makes the NFL so special the cream will rise to the top .

Tony Mandarichs return to the NFL was a long shot - A QB drafted in the 6 'th round playing in 6 Superbowls winning 4  is my fav long shot they happen . 

We have less than 70 players signed...expect to see more signings like this..they are cheap and while there's a slim chance he'll become the next Alex Mack of OTs , still a chance.

You already knew this, but to clarify for others...Alex Mack is a center not a tackle.  Your comparison was in talent.  :thmup:   I had to read it twice...:)  Yes I am getting old :)

I see him fighting for a spot in the OL rotation not stuck on the PS with his prior Football Experience

Based on playing HS football 5 years ago?  A 6'8" 280lbs OT?   I'll give you 10:1 odds he doesn't have a single snap on the OL in a regular season game.  I'd imagine it'd take at least a year just to build his body for the position, let alone the skills.

Based on playing HS football 5 years ago?  A 6'8" 280lbs OT?   I'll give you 10:1 odds he doesn't have a single snap on the OL in a regular season game.  I'd imagine it'd take at least a year just to build his body for the position, let alone the skills.

I never said he wouldn't go to the PS but that he wouldn't be earmarked for the PS the way Adongo and Swoopes were

You already knew this, but to clarify for others...Alex Mack is a center not a tackle.  Your comparison was in talent.  :thmup:   I had to read it twice... :)  Yes I am getting old :)

We're all getting old, Brent!

Well....    old-er....

OK.....     older-ish!     :thmup:

Yeah, Cox is probably on the PS for the season, if he makes the PS.

Grigs always brings in some pretty good UDFAs after the draft...between them and the late round draft picks, it could be tough for Cox to even make the PS.  Same goes for Danny Dongo and perhaps Swoope. If the new players look better than Cox/Dongo/Swoope then they deserve to get the PS spots ahead of them for the overall good of the team.

I hope Grigs makes the right decision for the team instead of insisting on keeping the experiments he has become attached to.