Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryans bully D re-signs Jerry Hughes [Merge]

ColtsBlueFL

It was a good pick by Polians at the time....Freeney coming off injuries and Mathis contract was going to come up soon...we give the guy a couple years to learn and then plug him in instead of re-signing Mathis or Freeney....things changed...and well he was out...but you can't say Bill didn't make a good pick on that one (now some of the other late ones...lol different story).

He was, arguably, a top 10 DE in the league last year and you have to figure Rex Ryan knows what he wants for his defense.

Ya, they pretty much had to have him I just can't believe the amount of these contracts. The guy has 25 sacks in his career. Granted he's been a real good player for Buffalo. 20 sacks in 2 years but wow, 45m is crazy money. This FA market is going to be nuts.

Ya, they pretty much had to have him I just can't believe the amount of these contracts. The guy has 25 sacks in his career. Granted he's been a real good player for Buffalo. 20 sacks in 2 years but wow, 45m is crazy money. This FA market is going to be nuts.

The only figure that matters is the guaranteed money

I agree the contracts in the NFL seem nuts.  But in the case of Hughes he has been the total package for them.  He's been good against the run, good at rushing the passer, causing fumbles, setting the edge,  Like Bott said the main thing to look at is the guaranteed money, which is $20 so it's a good payday and one I think he's earned in Buffalo.

:scratch: I know, he's played well for Buffalo. 20 sacks in last 2 seasons I think. But, that's ridiculous money for that kind of production. JMO

A million dollars a sack is a good rule of thumb based on recent history.

Dude just needed time and snaps to work on his game, The physical talent was there from day 1, Physically he was a 1st round talent, Mentally he was more like 3rd round, He still has developing to do....which is creepy if he realizes his full potential and 100% applies himself