Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will NOT Re-Sign the Legendary Number 87: Reggie Wayne. (Merge)

BrentMc11

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last half he was injured. You really going to count that?

Yes - of course because you have to account for that.  It all adds up.  Slow, & injured does not get better with age.

Stop thinking emotionally and put yourself in the Colts' shoes - they did what they had to do.  Any football person would say the same.

And now, One remains...

This is the Banner in my Colts Room.   #4 is the only one left on the team.   Now Reggie joins the group of "former" players.  We sure have a lot of good memories here.

A little sad, but happy to have experienced a great Era with this bunch.

That's a two way street IMO, he should also recognize that he was a shell of himself last season and shouldn't realistically expect the Colts to keep him. He was handsomely rewarded for his excellent play over the years, he should recognize that it's time to retire. I'm against parading a guy out there on some kind of farewell tour. If he had come out and retired first would you be complaining that he didn't come back to give the fans one last hoorah? I doubt it. The Colts owe it to the fans and the other players on the team to put the team in the best position to win, not to be "loyal" to a guy that can't play anymore. There's only 45 spots on an active roster on game day, you can't waste any of them on someone that you know can't play.

First off, you have NO idea what I would say in certain situations.   I think he should have been able to retire first before letting him go.   I think players of his caliber need to know that they are playing for a team that wont just toss them aside when the end comes and that they should be able to go out with the dignity they deserve.  How many jerseys did Reggie sell for the Colts to give them the money they need to sign great players?  The Colts would have never been in the position they are in if it wernt for some of the players that are no longer there. Peyton, Marvin,Clark, Saturday, I could go on.  He deserves more than a boot out the door.  I guess I see the players as human and not just a statistic.

Yes - of course because you have to account for that. It all adds up. Slow, & injured does not get better with age.

Stop thinking emotionally and put yourself in the Colts' shoes - they did what they had to do. Any football person would say the same.

Well I'm not thinking emotionally but thanks for telling me how I feel and what to think. I still think he has value at a cheaper deal.

And now, One remains...

This is the Banner in my Colts Room. #4 is the only one left on the team. Now Reggie joins the group of "former" players. We sure had a lot of good memories with this bunch.

Robert Mathis is still around

First off, you have NO idea what I would say in certain situations. I think he should have been able to retire first before letting him go. I think players of his caliber need to know that they are playing for a team that wont just toss them aside when the end comes and that they should be able to go out with the dignity they deserve. How many jerseys did Reggie sell for the Colts to give them the money they need to sign great players? The Colts would have never been in the position they are in if it wernt for some of the players that are no longer there. Peyton, Marvin,Clark, Saturday, I could go on. He deserves more than a boot out the door. I guess I see the players as human and not just a statistic.

I bet you'd be the first one in line to blame Grigson for a lack of production at the wide receiver position if he had elected to re-sign Wayne.

Robert Mathis is still around

Yes he is.  I was,however referring to the 8 on my banner.  He is not on this banner.  The 8 on the banner are, Adam, Peyton, Sanders, Addai, Clark, Harrison, Wayne, and Freeney.

Well I'm not thinking emotionally but thanks for telling me how I feel and what to think. I still think he has value at a cheaper deal.

If this is you rationally thinking about the situation - wow.

He was on a cheap deal already.  Finances had nothing to do with it.  None.  

I have simply tried to tell you what the Colts very likely thought in this decision.  Think of it as a free education that you apparently are choosing to ignore.

He was on a cheap deal already. Finances had nothing to do with it. None.

I have simply tried to tell you what the Colts very likely thought in this decision. Think of it as a free education that you apparently are choosing to ignore.

Reggie Wayne had no deal, therefore it could not be a cheap deal. His contract was up which means the Colts would have had to commit money to him that they do not have committed to anyone at this point which would have hurt the team.

And now, One remains...

This is the Banner in my Colts Room.   #4 is the only one left on the team.   Now Reggie joins the group of "former" players.  We sure have a lot of good memories here.

All I can say is WOW!

Is an AWESOME banner you have.  What about Edge? 

Yes.  My son bought this for me after the SB Win that year.  It hung outside for awhile, so it is a little faded.  I wish I hadn't let it fade :( .

Edge was no longer on the team for the SB win, but Mr. Irsay did give him a ring which I thought was awesome.    I have a shirt that has Peyton, Edge and Marvin on it.  It is a favorite.

Yes.  My son bought this for me after the SB Win that year.  It hung outside for awhile, so it is a little faded.  I wish I hadn't let it fade :( .

Edge was no longer on the team for the SB win, but Mr. Irsay did give him a ring which I thought was awesome.    I have a shirt that has Peyton, Edge and Marvin on it.  It is a favorite.

Well, I love it

Don't want to be selfish but I really don't want Wayne to play elsewhere and I want him to retire as a Colt and to not play for any other team. Please Reggie.

I totally agree...but if they are going to part ways with Peyton and Marvin, Irsay has set a precedent. It would be pretty f'd up if they kept him under the circumstances.

We didn't give him one more year because it's a waste of a roster spot.  Look, I love Reggie.  Pains me to see him go.  But, we have to do what's best for the team.  He can't produce anymore, was dropping passes left and right 2nd half of the year, couldn't get any separation.  We can't have a liability taking up a valuable roster spot.  It's human to think with our hearts rather our heads, but this was 100% the right decision.  Look at the Patriots.  They will cut a player THE SECOND they are in decline (or even about to be in decline - BB must be psychic).  And what do they have to show for it?  4 rings.  I hate the Patriots, but I respect the way they manage their roster.

My guess is he goes to Seattle, They seriously need wr help, He is not what he once was but he would still be the best they got more then likely even at this stage in his career, Maybe he goes to NE, They need wr help, Maybe he lands in Denver

According to this new ESPN report from Mike Wells,   Reggie wanted to play one more year and then retire.

There were talks,  but it never reached the point of finances....    the Colts were ready to say goodbye and did so...

This is a NON-premium story available to everyone....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12439053/reggie-wayne-wanted-play-one-more-year-indianapolis-colts

He was on a cheap deal already. Finances had nothing to do with it. None.

I have simply tried to tell you what the Colts very likely thought in this decision. Think of it as a free education that you apparently are choosing to ignore.

You're free education is only an opinion.

I'm not saying you're wrong about it being a business decision. But I think he could still provide value to the team at vet minimum or a similar deal.

First off, you have NO idea what I would say in certain situations.   I think he should have been able to retire first before letting him go.   I think players of his caliber need to know that they are playing for a team that wont just toss them aside when the end comes and that they should be able to go out with the dignity they deserve.  How many jerseys did Reggie sell for the Colts to give them the money they need to sign great players?  The Colts would have never been in the position they are in if it wernt for some of the players that are no longer there. Peyton, Marvin,Clark, Saturday, I could go on.  He deserves more than a boot out the door.  I guess I see the players as human and not just a statistic.

the nature of the game has changed, we as fans can no longer root for players, just root for the team and the x or o that fills a position, players are here today and gone tomorrow, don't get attached to players, they are just chess pieces,

And now, One remains...

I have that exact same banner! Love it, but yeah, it hurts a little knowing only one of those guys remain.