Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will NOT Re-Sign the Legendary Number 87: Reggie Wayne. (Merge)

BrentMc11

Just stopping by to say thank you Reggie Wayne for the many great years you gave us. Thanks for your decision to stick with the Colts and help them get off to the right start on a new era. You are forever a Colt...one of our greats! You and Marvelous Marv were a dynamic duo! Hope the Colts give you a proper send off and that we see you continuing to be affiliated with this franchise in a new capacity. God bless.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always sad when a great player with a great heart reaches the end of his career.

The Colts still need Reggie if he is willing to be a coach.

Somebody needs to teach the young guys the things to do to be a pro NFL WR...who better than Reggie?

don't say he never ever complained. I remember Reggie a couple of times was angry not gettin the ball enough in the playoffs and saying I'm not gonna play if I'm a decoy. Then the half butt route in the SB vs Saints for a pic6. They all complain sometime. He was good but just time to move on like they did with Marvin.

That pick 6 was not his fault. Manning threw that ball directly to Tracy Porter, and a few plays before that, Peyton was almost intercepted, along with nearly be picked a second time on the Colts final drive. That was just a perfect play waiting to happen, that was not Wayne's fault. Watch the play from behind and he threw the ball directly to him, but of course it's Peyton Manning, it's never his fault when he throws games like that. Nor was it Wayne's fault they choked away a 10-0 start and got outscored 31-7 the rest of the game. You guys lost to a better team that day. 

Wayne was hands down one of your best receivers ever, and a future Hall of Famer. I'd be a little more appreciative of him now that he is leaving instead of blaming him on a SB loss that totally was not his fault. The Colts were out coached, out played, and were just beaten by a team that wanted it more that day. It happens. 

You know what's the worst about this, and what really aggravates me? That Pagano pleased with Reggie, that he couldn't do it without him. Now three years later they won't let him play out his contract or play at least one more season to pass up Marvin harrison for all time receptions and yards. Utter nonsense.

33 more receptions and 236 more yards. Lost disappointed in the colts by their lack of respect for him.

He would also be 3rd and 7th, respectively, all time career leader.

don't say he never ever complained. I remember Reggie a couple of times was angry not gettin the ball enough in the playoffs and saying I'm not gonna play if I'm a decoy. Then the half butt route in the SB vs Saints for a pic6. They all complain sometime. He was good but just time to move on like they did with Marvin.

With all due respect, Mr. Bozo,  I was referring to Reggie's longevity, his film preparation, his clutch catches in high pressure situations, & giving other WR's & TE's around him a chance to flourish. 

Someone of Reggie's stature & universal respect across the league isn't worthy of some random Terrell Owens comparison. Wayne never had a larger than life all about me ego. Nothing could be further than the truth. 

So, what's your point? Because Reggie got upset over not getting the ball once he's not a saint? Newsflash sir. I can blow my top occasionally too, but that doesn't automatically make me a colossal jerk either.

Forum members here are recognizing HOF greatness. Don't sweat the small stuff sir.  You have a right to your opinion yes, but don't miss the forrest for the trees. On today of all days, INDY fans are honoring his glorious career in a Colts uniform not mentioning some insignificant outburst which means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

That pick 6 was not his fault. Manning threw that ball directly to Tracy Porter, and a few plays before that, Peyton was almost intercepted, along with nearly be picked a second time on the Colts final drive. That was just a perfect play waiting to happen, that was not Wayne's fault. Watch the play from behind and he threw the ball directly to him, but of course it's Peyton Manning, it's never his fault when he throws games like that. Nor was it Wayne's fault they choked away a 10-0 start and got outscored 31-7 the rest of the game. You guys lost to a better team that day. 

Wayne was hands down one of your best receivers ever, and a future Hall of Famer. I'd be a little more appreciative of him now that he is leaving instead of blaming him on a SB loss that totally was not his fault. The Colts were out coached, out played, and were just beaten by a team that wanted it more that day. It happens. 

In retrospect, our staff was completely caught off guard by Sean Payton's onside kick in the 2nd half, which swing the momentum in New Orleans favor. TE Dallas Clark was a thorn in Payton's side in the 1st half of that 2009 SB. So, if you wanna say INDY was unprepared for that trickery, yeah Bogie SW1 will buy that. Nice post. I ran out of likes. 

I won't slam Manning either. Tracy Porter just made 1 miraculous, game changing pick in the SB to his credit. 

Reggie does not want to play for anyone else

I know that's what he said in December and he might very well not want to but now that the Colts have said thanks but no thanks to him things might change depending on how much he wants to play.  I don't think he's going to go some place just play one more year it would have to be right which is why I think Denver would be a place he could end up if things are right and I wouldn't rule out the Dolphins depending on what they do in free agency and I also wouldn't rule out retirement. 

So why couldn't they sign him to a 1 year team friendly contract? Even more nonsense

They clearly have plans that don't involve Reggie. Maybe they didn't want to ask Reggie to come back and ride the bench. He's not number 1 or 2 any longer. This is just the nature of the beast that is the business side of the NFL. It happens, it was the right decision.

after the way the colts handled the departure of peyton and wayne I will no longer be a fan of a player. the game has become a game of no name x and o players, it has become a business of filling positions will hired gunslingers, it is hard to become a fan of a player who is loyal to money and not a team. imo the colts could be a little kinder to fans of the players and give them a departure with diginity, sad day.

1) Dear God...

2) You are also not being truthful

Will miss Reggie. He was a great player for the colts. Glad that I got to see him play his last game this year in the playoffs. Its just to bad that injury bug has gotten to him last 2 seasons.Really believe that the biggest reason the colts decided not to resign him.  Will miss his training camp entrances.  They were great and funny.

THANK YOU REGGIE FOR ALL THE GREAT SEASONS  AND MEMORIES 

Sad sad news. Love Reggie.

I do hope he retires too. I think deep down I was often in denial about his decline and the injuries mounting up.

Will he retire? No idea. But, he more then anyone would bug me so bad if I saw him in another uniform.

It does bother me we could not get another ring for him. But, hey we made it to the AFC title game.....I guess we went as far as we could.

Thanks for everything Reggie!

Because they are trying to win and they feel he would not help them do that. Really that simple and the correct call.

I must disagree with the statement that he can't help them win games. He was still an excellent possession option.

I was fine all day until I started watching the videos, my gosh he has been amazing receiver.  We are truly blessed to enjoy watching this guy play for us colt fans for so long.

It's hard watching your favorite players being let go but it allows us to remember and appreciate how good they actually were. 

From his catch,fumble,catch in the AFCC game against the Patriots to the SB TD, the Packers game, so many great memories. . . 

Thanks Reggie! :blueshoe:  :1colts:  :1colts:  :goat:

Some others have said it but the last 3 years were also made possible thanks to Reggie Wayne. Staying here and helping a young squad in transition grow along with playing his butt off spoke volumes. Tremendous player and person.

I feel his legend increased even more in the Luck era.

I hope he retires and sticks around to cheer us on. He is close to Pagano too.

If by chance he does keep going with another team I also completely understand if he feels his body could handle it.

I must disagree with the statement that he can't help them win games. He was still an excellent possession option.

Reggie is my all-time favorite Colt.  Bar none.  But were you asleep for the last half of the season?

I appreciate the emotion of yesterday's news and the resulting love for 87.  But the Colts are running a business and HAVE to look at is as such.  They cannot afford to make decisions based on feel-good stories about a true team legend.  They absolutely made the right football decision, painful as it was.

Two things:

1. Firmly believe that Reggie retires now.

2. If that was what Reggie was going to do anyway (we may never know now), why not let him wait till he announces it? He deserves a little more time and respect than essentially saying "we don't want you even if you do want to come back" when in reality, he wasn't going to come back anyway.

I agree, he deserves and has earned the respect this team should give him.

Man...I hope Reggie goes to play with Peyton and lights it up for one last year. While I realize it is a business decision, I am disappointed in the front office for not bringing Reggie back (assuming he wanted to).

Yes, there are just some players who deserve that kind of respect.  He helped build that stadium along with Peyton,Marvin and Edge.

Would love to see him with Peyton one more year.   There have been other unsung heroes that I wanted to have retired as a Colt like Marcus Pollard,  he gave his all when he played here.  Just sad to see the end of an era.  Good Luck Reggie

The business side of football sucks some times ,

Everyone knows the greatness and history associated with number 87. He truly is one of a small handful of players who really define the Colts as an organization. He was already a Hall of Famer in the making when Chuck and I arrived in Indianapolis in 2012, but no one has contributed more, on the field and in this building, to our turnaround, our continued growth, and our overall success since then. Reggie was the catalyst that sparked and ignited the team during our comeback against Green Bay in 2012. His gritty performance that day and that entire challenging season infused us all with the belief we could overcome any obstacle. His dedication and the example he set are second to none. We wish him nothing but the best in whatever new endeavor he pursues.

Head coach Chuck Pagano also chimed in:

My relationship with Reggie goes back to my coaching days at the University of Miami. He is the epitome of what a coach looks for in a player. Hard work, dedication, and sacrifice are just a few ways I would describe him. He encompasses everything that is right about this game, on and off the field. I am so grateful I had the chance to coach Reggie again when I arrived in 2012. It was a blessing to see the impact that he made with this organization and Colts fans around the world. I wish him all the best in the future and thank him for representing the horseshoe in the most professional manner.

Yes, there are just some players who deserve that kind of respect. He helped build that stadium along with Peyton,Marvin and Edge.

Would love to see him with Peyton one more year. There have been other unsung heroes that I wanted to have retired as a Colt like Marcus Pollard, he gave his all when he played here. Just sad to see the end of an era. Good Luck Reggie

That's a two way street IMO, he should also recognize that he was a shell of himself last season and shouldn't realistically expect the Colts to keep him. He was handsomely rewarded for his excellent play over the years, he should recognize that it's time to retire. I'm against parading a guy out there on some kind of farewell tour. If he had come out and retired first would you be complaining that he didn't come back to give the fans one last hoorah? I doubt it. The Colts owe it to the fans and the other players on the team to put the team in the best position to win, not to be "loyal" to a guy that can't play anymore. There's only 45 spots on an active roster on game day, you can't waste any of them on someone that you know can't play.

Reggie is my all-time favorite Colt. Bar none. But were you asleep for the last half of the season?

I appreciate the emotion of yesterday's news and the resulting love for 87. But the Colts are running a business and HAVE to look at is as such. They cannot afford to make decisions based on feel-good stories about a true team legend. They absolutely made the right football decision, painful as it was.

The last half he was injured. You really going to count that?