Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will NOT Re-Sign the Legendary Number 87: Reggie Wayne. (Merge)

BrentMc11

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that Reggie is the one who made this decision because he felt it was time to retire.

If not, I am very saddened by this news.  He has been one of my all time favorite players.  

Thanks for all the great games, loyalty and years with the team, Reggie.

i think this is a case of the Colts making up their mind before Reggie has made up his or else they would have announced Reggie is retiring. Now Reggie could very well retire based on this and if he does I am sure the Colts will do it right.

I know the term "horse shoe guy" has lost some meaning withb the off the field issues lately but if anyone was the embodiment of what it means to be a horse shoe guy it was Reggie Wayne. This is a big loss for the Colts in terms of leadership,

Reggie said on his radio show back in December he wouldn't play anywhere else. If that's still true and he does retire I think the Colts would be wise to bring him back as an assistant WR coach or something. On the same show Regge said he would take a job with the Colts if offered once he was done playing and they could use the leadership and knowledge Reggie would bring to that role IMO.

I hope he chose to not play and we the colts staff didn't decide for him. The way Reggie in paganos words "took a chance" and came back to play for the colts after the rebuild I think the colts owe it to Reggie to give him the benefit of doubt and give him one more year. I really hope this was Reggie's decision.

Reggie Wayne will aways be one of my 2 favorite Colts of all time. It's Peyton and Reggie for me. When he decided to comeback after the 2-14 season and he was a free agent will always keep him near the top of Indianapolis favorites as well as the way he carried himself on and off the field.

Oh Gosh, Reggie!!! Where do I start with him? I ran into him outside St. Elmo's steakhouse posing with fans while returning from the SB village. It was a gut decision time for him, sticking around to see the new regime, with Andrew Luck get kick started. I naturally posed just like other fans with him, still have that pic on my iPhone till today :). I told him "man, I still remember your game winning TD vs the Patriots in that 4th & 2 game, I hope you stick around."  I am glad he stuck around, and in my book, my favorite Colt outside Peyton Manning. Sad day for me.

Love ya, Reggie!!! Just don't sign with evil Belichick who loves ya too!!! :)

With the way Reggie has taken so many young wide outs under his wing, WR coach or assistant coach would be a natural position for him, IMO, if he is willing to go that route.

If this was not Reggie Wayne's decision,t hen this ticks me off.  He was stellar in 2012.  He was stellar in 2013 until he got hurt and put on IR.  He was playing really well in 2014 until he suffered multiple injuries that plagued him for the second half of the season.  I see no reason not to believe that he could still be a key contributor in 2015 if he wanted to play and recovered to full health.

I just really dislike that the Colts would pre-emptively force instead of simply waiting for Reggie to make the decision for himself.  Just not the way I would treat a legendary player.

I wish they would have let Reggie come back for one more year he is definitely deserving of it and still has a little left in the tank not to mention his locker room leadership. I hope they offer him a coaching position seeing how he has worked miracles for TY and Moncrief.

Seeing how they showed Reggie the back door i see them doing Redding the same way.

All in all I can see the FO going after his buddy AJ to replace him and that would cheer me up a little because i was under the consumption that we would be giving Reggie one last year to out on top.

No loyality fer sure, but it could be hard for him to produce at level we are all used to seeing with his surgery. I'm glad I saw him catch a TD though at 1st ever NFL/Colt game vs Titans in 9/14. That 12 hour driive from NY was well worth it.

I remember when many of the fans were upset and thought Polian was an * for drafting Wayne.  Then after his first couple of years in the league many Colts fans started calling Wayne a bust because he was a first round pick but was still the #3 WR behind Harrison and Pathon (until he got hurt) and then in 2002 he was behind Harrison and Ismail.

But the man just kept working and working and then all of a sudden the Colts have the best WR duo in the NFL for a lot of years.

Reggie Wayne, thank for the hundreds of great catches you have made, thank you for making arrivals at training camp someting to anticipate and thank you for be a true professional in every sense of the word; you will be greatly missed.

i don't think Reggie had made up his mind yet. The Colts had made up theirs so they announced it. So I agree with you. With that said, if Reggie decides he is done he will be back here to officially retire. If he truly wants to play Denver would probsbly be interested in him if he would come cheap.

I could get on board with this. My script would be for he and Peyton to ride off into the sunset together with SB trophy in hand

:-)

Re-signing Reggie may be the best move Grigson has made to date.  Without Reggie in Luck's first few seasons, this could have gone completely differently.   Without Reggie, I highly doubt we're a playoff team the first 3 seasons. 

Reggie is one of the greatest Colts - one of the many borderline hall of famers we've had in the past 15 years.  I wish we could have gotten Reggie over the hump and into the hall, but I'm not sure we did.  The injury last year hurt.  Not adding another ring or two when you had the opportunity hurt.    

Sad day, But its not surprising unfortunately. I am however surprised he was not given a bit more time. Its only March. Will be weird to see him in a different uniform.....On a side note....Does anybody else really think this Brandon Marshall trade to the Jets is a real non story after you get past the fact that its Brandon Marshall.......I mean he is going to a team with Geno Smith at QB....Geno freakin Smith

I thought I could take them cutting ties with anyone after what happened with manning...I couldn't, this hurts just as much. I actually shed a few tears. Please retire Reg, seeing him in anything other than blue and white will kill me.

I don't know and neither do you.

But tell me - why would Indy announce "not re-signing" him instead of him announing his retirement?  Irsay was quoted as saying this move now allows Reggie to seek playing time elsewhere if that is what he chooses.  That sounds like he was retired from the Colts.

Agreed. Whether or not he really wants to retire or not is a moot point. Nature of the business unfortunately.

Thanks for all the great memories Reggie.

Sad day, But its not surprising unfortunately. I am however surprised he was not given a bit more time. Its only March. Will be weird to see him in a different uniform.....On a side note....Does anybody else really think this Brandon Marshall trade to the Jets is a real non story after you get past the fact that its Brandon Marshall.......I mean he is going to a team with Geno Smith at QB....Geno freakin Smith

Your last comment on Marshall will get lost and rightfully because it does not belong in this thread.

Your last comment on Marshall will get lost and rightfully because it does not belong in this thread.

I know but at the same time had this trade not happened Wayne not returning as a Colt right now would be the biggest story they would be discussing

Sad sad Day, Im nervous now that a hole lot of class will not be with the colts any longer,This team will miss the leadership and commitment that he brought with him. My fear is the colts will continue to peruse players with less integrity and troubled pasts, All most all the players that are rumored to be interested in coming here as fa are not being resigned( by there current team) for a reason, I dont think they will find a REGGIE, out there. Please make a coach out of him(REGGIE) The Colts Need to uphold there reputation For being a respectable team,Reggie was a the pinnacle of a professional. Thanks Reggie

I'm starting to HATE March 6.

I wish Reggie would have been able to announce on his own terms. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but he said he didn't want to play for anyone else. If he still wants to play, that's obviously his choice. But there's something special about having a long career with one team. And then there's real life, where days like this happen.

If he goes on to play somewhere else, I wish him the very best. But he's a Colt. 

wayne2.gif

reggie-wayne.gif?w=640&h=360

Week5WayneRoutea.gif

reggie-wayne.jpg

reggie-wayne-570x339.jpg

Farewell, Reggie. And thanks.

I'm starting to HATE March 6.

I wish Reggie would have been able to announce on his own terms. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but he said he didn't want to play for anyone else. If he still wants to play, that's obviously his choice. But there's something special about having a long career with one team. And then there's real life, where days like this happen.

If he goes on to play somewhere else, I wish him the very best. But he's a Colt.

wayne2.gif

reggie-wayne.gif?w=640&h=360

Week5WayneRoutea.gif

reggie-wayne.jpg

reggie-wayne-570x339.jpg

Farewell, Reggie. And thanks.

That giants catch is one of my favorites.

I mean this with the upmost respect.  He is a future HOF and definitely one of the best Colts to ever put on a horseshoe helmet.  That aside, some players go a season or two too long.  Reggie went one season too long.  I'm not sad to see him go, because I'm so excited about our future.  Football is a business, and that's what happens to athletes.  I look forward to seeing him in Canton, but it is definitely a good thing he is done as a Colt.  With the perspective as things most go on and the team must continue to improve.  That wasn't going to happen if RW was on the roster.  It would be very disrespectful to make him ride the bench, so this is the best move for the franchise to make.