Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will NOT Tender AQ Shipley

TKnight24

Eh that was only 1-2 times, Harrison has the bigger upside compared to Shipley, He is bigger and stronger, He can pancake NT's off the ball consistently, Shipley rarely could,

Shipley probably told them he would not sign the any tender offer they put in front of him.  I don't blame him.  The team screwed him over twice, I would not want to be in Indy if I were him.

Yeah, Shipley should thumb his nose at the Colts because he obviously is in demand, right? Some of you guys crack me up.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never understand the love for Shipley.  Did not understand two years and it is lost on me again.  He seems a really good guy but on the field he is nothing special.  As it relates to this move today - why would the Colts do it.  The odds are strong he will be available in camp should the team need to make a move due to injury.  So why count him against your roster now? 

He's certainly no Jim Otto, but I think he's better than what we have now.  Harrison was a hot mess at center.  You would see botched snaps and pressure up the middle all the time.  With Shipley, he at least managed to hold his own.  He wasn't excellent, but he got the job done and you didn't have to worry about him.  The lack of support Shipley has received from Grigson and the coaching staff is bizarre to me. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were reports after our brutal loss to the Cowboys that Shipley wanted to leave Indy ASAP in the offseason?

Like I said on ESPN, based on measurable performance in my opinion Shipley was our third best O-Lineman last year.  Not just his performance, but his key ability "availability."  Obviously he didn't do something wrong or he'd have been fined or suspended.  This was flat out prejudice against him based on something unlikely to ever be exposed.  Shipley won't talk or he'll never get a chance elsewhere and Pagano disgracefully refused to ever comment on why they pulled him.   At worst, he was a very solid backup who could play 3 positions (RG, LG, C) and special teams.  And he could start and outperform the other two starters at C.  For that he gets benched and released.  Brilliant move Grigson/Pagano.  Good to see you're fixing our problems so capably by letting him walk.  

:scoregood:

You would think that Shipley was an all pro or something the way some are talking about him. He evidently is not that good or the Colts would have kept him. The coaching staff sees these players on a day to day bases not on a couple of plays. I would think there would be more important and more interesting things to talk about besides a player who cant win and keep the position.

You would think that Shipley was an all pro or something the way some are talking about him. He evidently is not that good or the Colts would have kept him. The coaching staff sees these players on a day to day bases not on a couple of plays. I would think there would be more important and more interesting things to talk about besides a player who cant win and keep the position.

I think you might be missing the point. Our Offensive line was so bad last year it was hard to see why a guy like Shipley, who was playing well, got benched and now is a FA. We needed all the help we could get. I understand looking to the future but Harrison was not getting the job done even when he was given so many games to improve and before Holmes was healthy. Its a head scratcher but I agree its time to move on.

it's a waste of time he's the best linemen here lol everyone loves the weak short armed smurf

He's certainly no Jim Otto, but I think he's better than what we have now.  Harrison was a hot mess at center.  You would see botched snaps and pressure up the middle all the time.  With Shipley, he at least managed to hold his own.  He wasn't excellent, but he got the job done and you didn't have to worry about him.  The lack of support Shipley has received from Grigson and the coaching staff is bizarre to me. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were reports after our brutal loss to the Cowboys that Shipley wanted to leave Indy ASAP in the offseason?

I don't remember that but wouldn't be a bit surprised.

He played better than the two guys he was cast aside for. Pretty much everyone outside of the organization saw it, so it's a confusing situation.

As for more important and interesting things to talk about, it's the offseason.

There was no reason to delay the possible progression of our young guys for a player marginally better young guys can't get better without experience

I can respect that. Here is Shipley's scouting breakdown from the combine. The short arms argument doesn't fly with me. Big deal, so he doesn't have ideal arm length. You don't become 1st team all Big 10 and Rimington Award winner if you can't play. Granted that was college and this is the NFL.

From NFL.com

After playing on both lines as a redshirt freshman, recording two sacks in limited playing time at defensive tackle, Shipley manned the pivot for the Nittany Lions for every game the past three years. He earned the 2008 Rimington Trophy as the nation's best center after garnering first-team All-Big Ten honors the past two seasons. His leadership off the field and toughness on the field makes him the type of character player NFL teams look for. Had an arm span of 29 3/4 inches and a hand span of 8 1/2 inches at the combine.

Analysis Strengths Positives: Stout, tough and physical at the point, plays like the former nose guard he is. Strong anchor in pass protection, and does not get bull-rushed as he uses his wide base to maintain leverage. Battles everyone and anyone on the field, playing through the whistle. Good enough feet to combo (in either direction) then get to the linebacker or safety and angle him while engaged. Adept at shotgun. Gets hands up quickly after the snap. Gets off his man to pick up late blitzers using his feet and hands. Only adequate moving laterally on pulls, but is still able to wall off linebackers inside. Team leader. Makes accurate line adjustments. Negatives: Lacks height, bulk and arm length. Projects to center only, probably in a zone-blocking system. Short arms prevent him from maintaining contact with tackles on the move, which lets his man shed or get past him. Initial punch is only adequate. Does not consistently sustain his blocks, especially against stronger tackles.

Yeah, Shipley should thumb his nose at the Colts because he obviously is in demand, right? Some of you guys crack me up.

I guess it's because I have enough pride to not be treated like the Colts treated Ship and I assume other people have pride as well.  Apparently you are not one of those people.

Additionally, I bet Ship gets picked up.  Not in the first wave of FA but well before OTAs.

this board is in love with him for some reason he's supposed to be the savior of the line it's just ridiculous cause he's not that good

Strawman. . . no one is calling him the "savior of the line"

We're calling him. . . better right now then Satele, Harrison and Holmes. . . all people he's played behind while with the Colts.

Some people complain the AQ missed calls and wasnt a very good run blocker. Yet we ran for more yards and had better overall line play when he played. I dont get it. AQ should have played last season and should have been signed on that tender. 

Strawman. . . no one is calling him the "savior of the line"

We're calling him. . . better right now then Satele, Harrison and Holmes. . . all people he's played behind while with the Colts.

like me and others have said its stupid to stop the progression of our younger guys for a player who is just a littke bit better

I actually do not believe they'd "obviously" keep him if he was "that good" because he WAS "that good" and they benched him.  So sorry, but evidence suggests they absolutely would dump him even if he was, in fact, our third best lineman last year and a big bargain financially to boot.  They had something against him which was not performance based or Pagano would have said that when he was repeatedly asked why Shipley was pulled.  Someone disliked the guy for some unknown and likely never to be found out reason.  It isn't just us message board folk who questioned this, many reporters and media did as well.  He may only be a C player or even a  C-, but when all but two of our other lineman were D's or worse, why not keep the C until you rid yourself of the D's and F's and Incompletes and upgrade to B's or even an A or two to go with Mewhort and our "A" left tackle?

I actually do not believe they'd "obviously" keep him if he was "that good" because he WAS "that good" and they benched him.  So sorry, but evidence suggests they absolutely would dump him even if he was, in fact, our third best lineman last year and a big bargain financially to boot.  They had something against him which was not performance based or Pagano would have said that when he was repeatedly asked why Shipley was pulled.  Someone disliked the guy for some unknown and likely never to be found out reason.  It isn't just us message board folk who questioned this, many reporters and media did as well.  He may only be a C player or even a  C-, but when all but two of our other lineman were D's or worse, why not keep the C until you rid yourself of the D's and F's and Incompletes and upgrade to B's or even an A or two to go with Mewhort and our "A" left tackle?

AQ got a 40 on his wonderlic. He's better than a C, C- :thmup:

I havn't heard any such reports but I don't think a player like Shipley would be picky about what team he wants to play for.  

If Shipley wants out then that's fine we don't need him that bad and it's his fault.  But I have my doubts about that.  When you are at the level he is. . . you tend to not burn bridges.

He's a stop gap type player that has been cut , traded for a song or just not resigned his whole career. I never saw so much fuss about a player that has no ceiling and has pretty much proved to be a plug in guy. He voiced his displeasure this year as you refer above. Makes total sense that he's not being resigned.

like me and others have said its stupid to stop the progression of our younger guys for a player who is just a littke bit better

Fair enough. . . but does the staff even know what younger guy they want to progress right now?  Because it would make sense to me to keep that guy, keep Shipley as the backup and let the 3rd one go.

Fair enough. . . but does the staff even know what younger guy they want to progress right now? Because it would make sense to me to keep that guy, keep Shipley as the backup and let the 3rd one go.

idk I think they one give Holmes a fair chance if he can stay healthy and Harrison has very good size and is very sting that's great for a C

Fact is he's not much better then the younger guys here. I don't know why so many think they know more then our HC and GM when they see them in practice everyday. if he was as good as people here seem to think don't ya think he wouldn't be getting cut?

Actually, that's not true at all, either. I made my points pretty clearly if you want to go back and re-read them.

I said it would be better to get Moore then having a stop gap in Adams cause Adams has like a year or 2 max left and that was obviously a bad idea cause there is a chance he would pull a Landry to you any FA can fail but it's a risk teams have to make

I saw the snaps hit the ground more than once or twice. He also got the snap count screwed up a few times. He may have the bigger upside and backside but he didn't play better than Shipley last year.

The Ravens didn`t want him either because he didn`t play well. He didn`t get abused here for a couple games and he became our Mack. lmao!

I said it would be better to get Moore then having a stop gap in Adams cause Adams has like a year or 2 max left and that was obviously a bad idea cause there is a chance he would pull a Landry to you any FA can fail but it's a risk teams have to make

If we were going to sign Moore why wouldn't we re-sign Adams as well? Last I checked most teams by and large use 2 safeties. I have no issues with Moore, it's the idea that "they're younger big name guys so they're an upgrade". And you suggested we sign 2 new FA safeties and let Adams walk. FA is a gamble, no matter how good the player is. We know what we have in Adams, he played extremely well last year, better than Moore. His play won't just fall off a cliff one day.

If we were going to sign Moore why wouldn't we re-sign Adams as well? Last I checked most teams by and large use 2 safeties. My issue was with you suggesting we sign 2 new FA safeties. FA is a gamble, no matter how good the player is. We know what we have in Adams, he played extremely well last year, better than Moore. His play won't just fall off a cliff one day.

well if Adams is cheap I wouldn't mind him as depth but the reason I said 2 was cause Moore is a FS and Searcy is a SS

Searcy is very good matching up against TEs something we struggled with alot last year

The safeties are interchangeable in the Colts defense and if Adams is back he'll be starting.

like I said Searcy was good against TEs that is very good for us but I guess we can use Adams this year and be in the same position next year looking for a safety the draft this year is weak and idk any FA Safties next year

He was that good? Sorry, no bingo in that comment.

That's kinda my thought about this.  I think Shipley is a bit of forum hero and he is over valued on the forum. I am not saying he's awful because he's not but he's far from this great player that some on this forum seem to think he is. 

He played better than the two guys he was cast aside for. Pretty much everyone outside of the organization saw it, so it's a confusing situation.

As for more important and interesting things to talk about, it's the offseason.

Everyone outside the organization? Get real. The organizations has a lot more tape and sees this guy every day. So no everyone don't see anything the organization don't see. Opinions don't count.