Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players we really want likely available at #29

First, I would really like to thank Dustin for the writeups he has been doing for positions which we have a need for. They have been fair, informational, and I think has really given some insight into players I did not know too much about.

After reading the writeups, and I know he is not done yet, I started thinking what are the chances of players we really could use, who would go into the lineup right away and really help. I know at #29 we could say anyone we draft, but I think certain areas really are more critical than others. For me, it is an ILB who can tackle, but more important cover tight ends. A plus would be his ability to rush the passer, but we got burned by our ILB's not being able to cover. Also, someone with a nasty attitude to affect the whole defense. This goes for all positions.

Second, is DL, and I could argue that it is first considering how the Patriots killed us running the ball. Someone who can stop the run, take 2 players, and also pass rush.

Third is OL, and I don't think I need to say anything more than we need to run the ball to protect Luck.

Fourth, CB and S.

Fifth, RB & WR. We can make the argument that RB is important, but not at #29, at least for me.

So even though I have ordered them in our importance, I looked at drafts, and started to think what players are most coveted, meaning who could drop to us. The two least coveted positions on the field as far as the draft, and the first round, are RB and ILB. Punters and Kickers do not count. I think when you look at what teams are always looking for, QB, CB, OLB or DE who can rush, DL, and OL. For all these positions, it then becomes teams needs and BPA.

My point is, I believe ILB is the position along with RB most likely to have one of the players we have talked about, who will possibly be there. I would love to hear your thoughts if you agree what players usually go first in the draft, but I do think it is important to think of it in those terms.

So after looking at it, I don't want to go with RB in the first round. After reading Dustin's writeups, my opinion is Paul Dawson or Eddie Kendricks will be there at #29, and I can't decide which one I would like more. Both have positives and negatives. In the end, although Dawson has greater upside most likely, Kendricks to me is the safer pick, great character and leader, plus he has that nasty streak we need to lead the defense. He can cover, I believe he will put some weight, grow stronger so his pass rush gets better, on to rush the passer better, but he is such a great athlete, I don't have to worry about character, and the one reason we all thought why Suh would be good for us is the NASTY, that this team needs. Most of us don't want him, but that is a different topic. In the end, I believe both will be there, and I am going to go with Kendricks, but I would be perfectly happy with Dawson.

So what do you think, and remember, I am thinking of most important positions in the draft, and who usually goes off the board first. You don't have to narrow it down to a player, I just find it interesting to think about it in this way, who has the best chances of being there?

Our 1st rounder in no particular order needs to either be a DT, ILB, OLB, or OL (Tackle or Guard) I would put Safety since it is a major need, but I feel we can get a starter in the 2nd with a guy like Prewitt, Hackett, Holliman, or Smith. Then get a solid RB in the 3rd. We're ok at Corner IMO, but I really hope we add some depth there.

It'll come down to who Grigs really likes. We won't see a RB in the 1st, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one by round 3. Ameer Abdullah is the type of guy he and Pagano would love to have as well as Cobb.

I also like the idea of Kendricks in the 1st round. But with how well he'll probably do at the combine, he could be gone by our pick. I really have no clue on what'll happen in the 1st because the draft is a little weaker in terms of top flight talent this year, so I couldn't even guess who might be there when we pick.

Ifo Ekpre Olomu...CB Oregon...he got hurt last year so his stock will probably drop, so he should be there at 29...Armstead wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

Olomu will be there in the second. Personal Opinion from what I've watched from Armstead doesn't impress me at all. He obviously has fantastic size, but is consistently overpowered and outplayed.

Kendricks would be a good safe pick. I don't want to pick a guy based off potential in the First Round, I want a guy that is guaranteed to give me production.

I like Dawson but his height concerns me, no way he's bigger than Kendricks. See him going in the 40s in the draft.

Ifo Ekpre Olomu...CB Oregon...he got hurt last year so his stock will probably drop, so he should be there at 29...Armstead wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

IEO will likely be there at 29 in the 2nd round and he might even be there at 29 of the 3rd round.

He is not a great fit for the Colts.   IEO is small,  sub 5'10" and 185.   Coming off a knee injury.    We prefer our cornerbacks bigger.

IEO was having a disappointing year before his injury.     This is just not a great pairing on most any level.

At this point in the process,  I don't expect Armstead to be around at 29.   Too much a physical marvel for 28 other teams to pass on him and his potential...

Olomu will be there in the second. Personal Opinion from what I've watched from Armstead doesn't impress me at all. He obviously has fantastic size, but is consistently overpowered and outplayed.

Kendricks would be a good safe pick. I don't want to pick a guy based off potential in the First Round, I want a guy that is guaranteed to give me production.

I like Dawson but his height concerns me, no way he's bigger than Kendricks. See him going in the 40s in the draft.

Huh?

Dawson is listed at 6'2" but I've read he's sub- 6'1" but still taller than 6"0".

Hendricks I believe is 5'11" and maybe a tick shorter than that.    Neither are very big,  but Dawson is definitely taller.

Both weigh about 230.

It'll come down to who Grigs really likes. We won't see a RB in the 1st, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one by round 3.

Why are people so definitve when they say this. There is no certainty to whether Grigs does or doesnt go RB in the 1st round. You said it yourself, I will come down to who Grigs really likes. People assume that just because Trent Richardson was ultimately a scrub, Grigs is gonna change his mind on what his vision for this team is.

He Traded for Richardson with an objective in mind. I may be in the minority but I am completely behind what the objective of the trade was even though it didnt live up to its potential. Hindsight is 20/20.

I may be alone but I will be shouting from the roof tops, thanking the heavens if Melvin Gordon is the Colts 1st pick!

I've watched from Armstead doesn't impress me at all. He obviously has fantastic size, but is consistently overpowered and outplayed.

I'd love to see your examples of this. Late in games, it happened a few rare times but that's it.

Why are people so definitve when they say this. There is no certainty to whether Grigs does or doesnt go RB in the 1st round. You said it yourself, I will come down to who Grigs really likes. People assume that just because Trent Richardson was ultimately a scrub, Grigs is gonna change his mind on what his vision for this team is.

He Traded for Richardson with an objective in mind. I may be in the minority but I am completely behind what the objective of the trade was even though it didnt live up to its potential. Hindsight is 20/20.

I may be alone but I will be shouting from the roof tops, thanking the heavens if Melvin Gordon is the Colts 1st pick!

No one knows 100% we won't take a RB in the 1st, but we do know ....

- Spending a 1st on a RB is a waste, especially when we have so many other needs.

- There will be RBs available in later rounds.

- Grigson has taken a lot of heat for Richardson, I doubt he is in any hurry to risk a 1st on another RB.  

- If he passes on a OL, DL, or LB in the 1st in favor of a RB and we have another year of getting run all over, or issues protecting Luck he looks much worse than if he passes on a RB in the 1st and takes a random RB later and we have an "average" running game .. which we will if he fixes the OL. 

I doubt you are "alone" in wanting Gordon (or Gurley) in the first, but you are definitely part of a small minority.  Personally I would never spend a 1st on a RB unless we were solid at every other position, which I doubt will ever be the case.

No, people assume Grigson has caught up to most GMs in the league who know RBs aren't worth a first round pick. There is a reason a RB hasnt gone in the first round for 3 years.

No, people assume Grigson has caught up to most GMs in the league who know RBs aren't worth a first round pick. There is a reason a RB hasnt gone in the first round for 3 years.

What pick do you propose we spend on a running back in your opinion?  I'm sure you'll say something like 6th or 7th round, but I'll have to ask when is the last time we picked up a good running back in those rounds in the last 10 years?  Not that I'm saying we need to spend a 1st but I do feel there are some good backs available this year.  Can't always get the best bang for the buck diving in the dumpsters either.   The two best running backs the Colts have had in the last 10 years came out of the 1st round.  If this is done by Grigs(probably won't be) I'm not going to blow my top over it.

What pick do you propose we spend on a running back in your opinion?  I'm sure you'll say something like 6th or 7th round, but I'll have to ask when is the last time we picked up a good running back in those rounds in the last 10 years?  Not that I'm saying we need to spend a 1st but I do feel there are some good backs available this year.  Can't always get the best bang for the buck diving in the dumpsters either.   The two best running backs the Colts have had in the last 10 years came out of the 1st round.  If this is done by Grigs(probably won't be) I'm not going to blow my top over it.

I don't know why you assume the 6th or 7th round just because I wouldn't take one in the 1st. For a team like the colts, who have lots of holes, I wouldn't take one before the 3rd.

I don't know why you assume the 6th or 7th round just because I wouldn't take one in the 1st. For a team like the colts, who have lots of holes, I wouldn't take one before the 3rd.

I can respect that position, although I myself would go higher than that if it's a quality back and it's BPA.  Running back is one of those holes.  To each his own I suppose.

I agree ... 3rd is the absolute earliest I would take one, and that's only if one of the top tier RBs fall and there isn't an equally high ranked player at another position of need available.