Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter-Any News?

Yesterday was the day Duron was supposed to tryout and talk to the Colts. I have heard nothing about it, not even if he was in the facility. Now he went to the Chiefs and I heard nothing either. Since they cannot sign him until Feb.1st, does that mean nothing can be said about him and how a meeting went. If anyone has heard anything or knows if rules are preventing it, a little info. is much appreciated.

Yesterday was the day Duron was supposed to tryout and talk to the Colts. I have heard nothing about it, not even if he was in the facility. Now he went to the Chiefs and I heard nothing either. Since they cannot sign him until Feb.1st, does that mean nothing can be said about him and how a meeting went. If anyone has heard anything or knows if rules are preventing it, a little info. is much appreciated.

Today RT“@B_Sanzabar: @criscarter80 @DC_CHILLIN_8 when is Indy up? God knows that kid would be special with Luck.” Thx

Worked out for the Bucs and is scheduled for the Chiefs , Colts and Vikings this week. . I read in a Chiefs news site that he was scheduled to work out with us today. I thought I had read the 9th someplace else but I don't see that as I look now. So maybe today and Friday at the latest ?

Come on Grigs. We really need to sign this kid. He could be an instant top 10 WR.

You may be right,  but I don't think there is anything clear and obvious about this kid being a top-10 WR.

Right now,  he looks like a kid who might be our 3rd WR on the team,  not a top-10 WR in the NFL.

I mean......

May wanna tap on the breaks

Like I said, he could be a top 10 wide out right away, I don't mean he will be. He just has that potential IMO. I understand everyone's hesitations, but I see a lot of potential in him in the highlights I've watched.

Like I said, he could be a top 10 wide out right away, I don't mean he will be. He just has that potential IMO. I understand everyone's hesitations, but I see a lot of potential in him in the highlights I've watched.

I really want Grigson to give him a go. What I see isn't really any one of our receivers being the focal point moving forward. It's Hilton and Moncrief on the outside, Carter in the slot, Whalen as a back up, Allen and Fleener starting at TE with Doyle backing up Allen and Swoope (call the man up next season) backing up Fleener. Throw in an elite QB in Luck and that's a really nice core of guys for our passing game who are all between 22 and 26.

Don't get to excited now.... He can go anywhere he wants and I have a feeling he might be chasing a lot of $$$$.

We will see.

Colts have money to spend this year but have a lot of future contracts to extend/re-sign.

Guy seems like he has a lot of talent but if he wants a long term deal he might not be worth it.

May wanna tap on the breaks

Why? 909 receiving yards and 5 TDs in 11 games is pretty good in any football game played for a rookie. If the Colts give him a try his rookie days are behind him. If signed he would more than likely sign a contract equal or around a rookie contract. If he don't show something good in camp and pre season he can be cut with no negative repercussions to the Colts. I think Grigson would be wrong if he had a chance to sign this guy if nothing else but to kick the tires. I had a negative vibe about this kid too but after looking at the big picture I backed off after another poster reminded me of these facts.

Why? 909 receiving yards and 5 TDs in 11 games is pretty good in any football game played for a rookie. If the Colts give him a try his rookie days are behind him. If signed he would more than likely sign a contract equal or around a rookie contract. If he don't show something good in camp and pre season he can be cut with no negative repercussions to the Colts. I think Grigson would be wrong if he had a chance to sign this guy if nothing else but to kick the tires. I had a negative vibe about this kid too but after looking at the big picture I backed off after another poster reminded me of these facts.

Blood on the Tracks comment about tapping on the breaks was directed at Colts449 who commented that he thought Carter might be a top-10 WR in the NFL.

He wasn't saying it was a bad idea to sign him.    Not at all.     Only that it was not wise to have such unrealistic high expectations for Carter.       He didn't do anything in college,  and who knows how much to judge his accomplishments in the Canadian League.

Frankly,   I absolutely agree with BotT comment.....    slow the roll.... 

Don't get to excited now.... He can go anywhere he wants and I have a feeling he might be chasing a lot of $$$$.

We will see.

Colts have money to spend this year but have a lot of future contracts to extend/re-sign.

Guy seems like he has a lot of talent but if he wants a long term deal he might not be worth it.

Lol he'll probably won't even get $1M a year.

We will see.

Does he really have the leverage to get a long team deal and a lot of money? Him wanting and getting is two different things.

Come on Grigs. We really need to sign this kid. He could be an instant top 10 WR.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.  He's a prospect with a lot of potential who played well in the CFL.  Even if he does well it will probably take him some time to be that good.  

I do think we'll sign him when we're allowed to sign him.  All indications are that he wants to sign with Indy because of Luck and probably also because of the lack of WR depth next year.  And Grigs has never been shy about signing CFL prospects and bringing them into camp.

We will see.

He's not going to get a lot of money from anyone.  He's just a promising prospect from the CFL.  Team's don't put down a ton of money on a guy unless he's played really well at the NFL level.  

As far as salary, it will probably be more of a 1 yr. deal to prove it, or a contract which has plenty of incentives baked in and takes the risk of the club. Duron may turn out to be very good, but he still is an unknown. If genes are any indicator though, and 6' 5" at the goal line with good hands, he would be a great replacement for Reggie. I am not worried about the money, no club is going to put guaranteed money on an unproven talent in the NFL.

@RavensInsider: Colts recently tried out CFL wide receiver Duron Carter, Cris Carter's son

@JasonLaCanfora: Pretty strong comments from @ochocinco . He says free agent WR Duron Carter, his CFL teammate, is "easily, a No. 1 NFL receiver right now."

As far as salary, it will probably be more of a 1 yr. deal to prove it, or a contract which has plenty of incentives baked in and takes the risk of the club. Duron may turn out to be very good, but he still is an unknown. If genes are any indicator though, and 6' 5" at the goal line with good hands, he would be a great replacement for Reggie. I am not worried about the money, no club is going to put guaranteed money on an unproven talent in the NFL.

I'm not sure I see this unfolding the way you see this unfolding, and here's why:

Carter is a Free Agent,  the Colts don't own his rights.    So, with FA, come competition and with competition comes open bidding....     I don't know how much of a bidding war there will be -- maybe very little.     But some is to be expected.

I think Carter will cost us more than most here believe.    I don't think he will be cost prohibitive....   but I'm expecting the Colts to pay out a decent contract both in years and dollars.

Evidently Duron said this after his visit to the Vikings  

“It went really well,” Duron Carter told the newspaper. “I met everybody and it looked really good. I like Minnesota, I like the facilities, I like the coaches and everything. It seems like things are looking up. I would say Minnesota is probably my front-runner right now."

Evidently Duron said this after his visit to the Vikings

“It went really well,” Duron Carter told the newspaper. “I met everybody and it looked really good. I like Minnesota, I like the facilities, I like the coaches and everything. It seems like things are looking up. I would say Minnesota is probably my front-runner right now."

hey Teddy is awesome but if he wants to pass up Andrew Luck I guess I can just say sorry buddy you don't know what your missin

You got it he is already a top 10 receiver and future pro bowler to some .Kid is getting a lot of hype for a guy who has proved nothing .

Agreed, I honestly don't care either way if we sign him. The best scenario would be to sign him and draft a receiver in round 3 or 4, but I have a bad feeling if we sign him, with all the needs we have at almost every position, we wouldn't draft a receiver too. If I had to choose, I'd much rather take a TY Montgomery type in round 3 over Duron Carter.

I for on am not sold on Carter if his dad wasn't Cris Carter not sure there would be much to do about this guy. At this point his ego is probably so inflated he'd have trouble getting a helmet on.

Coaches worked him out so we will see what they think I hope we don't pay a lot for the kid

If Nicks leaves I would bring in a vet maybe a Nate Washington he is durable I know at some point he had the streak for most consecutive starts among active WR 128 good character guy UDFA has been part of winning 2 Super Bowls. He shouldn't cost a lot and has a couple of good years left which is all we need and grab a guy later in the draft.  

Who knows what is up with 87 if he will be back how effective he will be etc

Agreed, I honestly don't care either way if we sign him. The best scenario would be to sign him and draft a receiver in round 3 or 4, but I have a bad feeling if we sign him, with all the needs we have at almost every position, we wouldn't draft a receiver too. If I had to choose, I'd much rather take a TY Montgomery type in round 3 over Duron Carter.

Signing Carter will have very little if any effect on our draft plans ... IMO.  On paper we looked good at WR last draft (Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, etc ...) and we still drafted Moncrief.  Carter would just be this years "Rogers/lottery ticket", and I don't think it would change how Grigson prioritizes the need at the receiver position or change how he would draft if a WR he likes and thought was a good value was available at one of our picks.