Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Gruden is done with RG3

RockThatBlue

mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24865895/report-jay-gruden-is-done-with-robert-griffin-iii

According to this, sounds like Gruden doesn't even want him on the team.

Non-mobile link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24865895/report-jay-gruden-is-done-with-robert-griffin-iii

Edited by 21isSuperman
Added non-mobile link

RGIII is just another read option qb that can't develop into a pocket passer. He had the element of surprise his rookie year as there was really no qbs like him (expect vick and newton), and he was able to to surprise defenses with the read option. Now that there is tape on him, he is easily beatable and he can't convert to a pocket passer. His awareness stinks, he has no pocket presence, he is cooked mentally. The Redskins need to see what they can get for him before he does any worse. they may be able to salvage a mid round pick.

I think RG3 is very happy with the 25 mill he banked plus some more bucks selling pastrami. Gruden has a good nose and smells "coach killer." I said a while back that there is no reasonable scenario that would see RG3 wearing a Redskin uniform in 2015. Ehhh.. right again I guess. Gruden already made it clear that he's "done" with him. I've been watching football for 50 years and that was the first time I've ever seen a coach stand on a podium ad say his QB is terrible at about every phase of the game. Then bench him for a guy that has a ceiling of a good back up ? Pretty much saying him or me in the event he already didn't clear this up with Snyder.

ooowweee, Gruden does not like him.

Guess RGIII was right to cash in on everything his first year.  He's got a pile of money now

Yeah... the first few picks in drafts since the CBA usually have fully guaranteed contracts. I looked up his deal and I was mistaken saying 25 mill as it was 21.

Agree with dg, Philly might be a good place for him. Also I would not be surprised if Houston would be interested. Fitzpatrick is not the long term answer and who knows what Tom Savage will do, At least with Griffin you have film on him during regular season games and he has played well in some. Getting rid of Griffin wont fix that team however. That O Line has been garbage...Why they wont try Moses on the right side is beyond me. you got wr's not knowing what the snap count is and have ran into each other when they do know what the snap count is a few times

Agree with dg, Philly might be a good place for him. Also I would not be surprised if Houston would be interested. Fitzpatrick is not the long term answer and who knows what Tom Savage will do, At least with Griffin you have film on him during regular season games and he has played well in some. Getting rid of Griffin wont fix that team however. That O Line has been garbage...Why they wont try Moses on the right side is beyond me. you got wr's not knowing what the snap count is and have ran into each other when they do know what the snap count is a few times

Not sure Griffin is the kind of QB O'Brien likes. Seems to prefer big, pocket style guys.

And the film on Griffin is his biggest problem lol

I would think a team like Philly would be a great place for him. They run that read option even with Foyles/Sanchez and like to push it down the field. Would make a nice project for Kelly to work on the side.

He would be lucky to last more than a few games there Chips offense is not friendly for the health of his QB's

Most here predicted it, you certainly weren't the only one.

I thought and still think he has potential in the league...but injuries on top of poor management created a mess there in Washington. Honestly, I like the kid and would like to see him succeed but he has a long, humbling road ahead of him. We will see what character he is made of to see if he gets back. He throws a beautiful deep and has plenty of velocity but we all know it takes more than that to be a great qb. I didn't think he would be a future HOF but I certainly saw him continuing on the success he had as a rookie and being a solid starter if his health held out. Sadly it didn't...and he really regressed. Good luck to the kid wherever he ends up....he seems like a nice young man from what I've seen.

He could be in Buffalo, NYJ, Philly, or Chicago next year.  Possibly St. Louis (that would be ironic).

[/quote

absolutely no chance of RG3 playing for the Bears...

They are committed to Jay Cutler.....and why would Buffalo try another project...

Robert needs to ride the bench for a while behind a good QB and try to learn

RGIII is just another read option qb that can't develop into a pocket passer. He had the element of surprise his rookie year as there was really no qbs like him (expect vick and newton), and he was able to to surprise defenses with the read option. Now that there is tape on him, he is easily beatable and he can't convert to a pocket passer. His awareness stinks, he has no pocket presence, he is cooked mentally. The Redskins need to see what they can get for him before he does any worse. they may be able to salvage a mid round pick.

Harsh, but very accurate JC. I don't hate RG3. I liked his background growing up as a military brat & I thought he had a good head on his shoulders. Can he fix his career? His footwork is sloppy like HC Gruden says I have my doubts now. 

Did he fall in love with being idolized in D.C.? I think so. I'm just relieved we took Luck in the draft & not RG3; We dodged a bullet there. Thank God. 

Everything you said is true, and whats even more amusing is that Griffin has a diva attitude and thinks that hes as good as the Mannings, Brady's, Rodgers etc lololol...

Kid is a total headcase.. and the more you found out about his background, the more it all makes sense... he had a silver spoon in his mouth his ENTIRE life, all the way through college.. then he got to the NFL and had a huge ego, got Subway commercials etc.. and thinks hes the king @^$! and points the finger at everyone else, not him..

What a hilariously horrible franchise the Redskins are running over there... They gave up 3 1st rounders and a 2nd to get that piece of garbage lolol!!

Everything you said is true, and whats even more amusing is that Griffin has a diva attitude and thinks that hes as good as the Mannings, Brady's, Rodgers etc lololol...

Kid is a total headcase.. and the more you found out about his background, the more it all makes sense... he had a silver spoon in his mouth his ENTIRE life, all the way through college.. then he got to the NFL and had a huge ego, got Subway commercials etc.. and thinks hes the king @^$! and points the finger at everyone else, not him..

What a hilariously horrible franchise the Redskins are running over there... They gave up 3 1st rounders and a 2nd to get that piece of garbage lolol!!

Preach JM51 Preach!  :worthy:  When RG3 invoked the names of Manning, Brees, & Brady at that Skins press conference I was like Robert shut up dude. All 3 of those QBs have been winning games for years. What the hades have you really done? Nothing really. 1 solid rookie year pales in comparison to 10 years of playoff production of your elite QB contemporaries. 

The curse of Skip Bayless

For hours every day.......he sold Tebow..he sold GR3 and now he's selling Manizel

..and there's a sucker born every minute.

Is it worse than the Curse Of The Pharaohs? Yeah, I'll buy that. 

Maybe you're right OUM...All this under estimating & undercutting of Andrew Luck on Skip's part might be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps, I've been looking at this the wrong way. 

Praise from Bayless means a catastrophic demise except for the Patriots who continue to win regardless of what Skip says about the Foxboro boys. You guys must be immune to his positive accolades. Not bad Boston; Not bad. LOL! 

If I remember correctly, Skip also said nice things about QB Philip Rivers & then he experienced a temporary slump too so I think you're onto something there man. 

He had bust written all over him 3 years ago and everyone called me nuts when I said it.

Oh how time flies by.

If we posted a list of all the things you've stated would happen this website might just crash.........

Enjoy your victory.......      Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I think RG3 is very happy with the 25 mill he banked plus some more bucks selling pastrami. Gruden has a good nose and smells "coach killer." I said a while back that there is no reasonable scenario that would see RG3 wearing a Redskin uniform in 2015. Ehhh.. right again I guess. Gruden already made it clear that he's "done" with him. I've been watching football for 50 years and that was the first time I've ever seen a coach stand on a podium ad say his QB is terrible at about every phase of the game. Then bench him for a guy that has a ceiling of a good back up ? Pretty much saying him or me in the event he already didn't clear this up with Snyder.

If that is true and Gruden threw down the gauntlet to Snyder than good for him. It is not like he has this great coaching resume other than the Arena League to make that type of demand but I think even Snyder finally had to admit that it was time to move on.

It will be fascinating to see where RG lands next season. Would the Jets take a look at him? They seem to like bad QBs.

Honestly what Griffin needs is an attitude adjustment and some humility.

All of his press conferences tell you everything you need to know about his mental makeup right now.

He's still an adolescent, he's not a man yet. He's never had to deal with criticism before and he can't handle it because in his mind he's a legend already before he's accomplished anything.

He has classic signs of a narcissist and he needs to grow up, mature and take accountability.

He honestly doesn't think he is even a little bit a part of the problem, it's everyone else.. it's his teammates, his coaches, the water boy, etc... Everyone but him.

Horrible leader. I wouldn't follow RG3 to a watering hole in the middle of the desert.

If that is true and Gruden threw down the gauntlet to Snyder than good for him. It is not like he has this great coaching resume other than the Arena League to make that type of demand but I think even Snyder finally had to admit that it was time to move on.

It will be fascinating to see where RG lands next season. Would the Jets take a look at him? They seem to like bad QBs.

If you read all the reports , it gets murkier. 

Rotoworld....

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports there's a "real chance" Robert Griffin III makes more starts this season.

Schefter's report comes the same day the Washington Post reported coach Jay Gruden is "done" with RGIII, and wants him gone for 2015. If RGIII is forced back under center for more 2014 starts, you can bet the order came from the top and owner Daniel Snyder. Although we think more evaluation of RGIII would absolutely be right the call, Snyder's meddlesome ways continue to make the Redskins the most dysfunctional pro sports organization this side of the Raiders.
Dec 4 - 

Lots of good points on the Forum today.

I think the comparison to Vick is a bit different.  Vick was a scrambling pocket QB who is much more athletic with much more lateral agility and quickness than Griffin.  Vick's improv plays were much more impressive than Griffin's.  Griffin is straight line fast, which makes him a good read option QB, but avoiding a pass rush is not really his forte.

Newton is bigger and can handle the punishment as a read option QB better than Griffin, but as his body gets beat up, he will have to become more of a pocket QB.  We'll see where that goes. Although more athletic than most,  I don't know if he slides in the pocket and avoids the rush any better than any other good pocket QB however.

You could also draw some similarities between these QBs and Tebow, but Tebow is out of the league so why bother.  But maybe that is Griffin's future too.

His first year where he won ROY sure proved he was bust ...

I remember reading a draft publication before the 2012 draft and while they loved his arm and speed , they (Pro football weekly) had some serious questions also. One remark I remember was "he sees ghosts in the pocket." In his first year running that read option , if this were true , it would be covered up. He fakes the handoff , is outside the pocket and has a simple read that he throws to. He was very good as you point out but 2 problems with that. One , defenses have really figured out how to limit the read option damage and RG3 cannot possible hold up to that beating. Anyway .. now the read option is blended into the conventional NFL offense. I think there in lies the problem with this guy. He has zero pocket presence ... maybe the worst I've ever seen.  Funny thing is Washington probably never knew this until they made him play from the pocket. Would you really see this in practice ? Maybe not as he would know he's not going to be hit ? Anyway I think you have to throw that rookie year out when you consider his play last year and this year. have you watched him in 2014 ? It really boarders being painful. IMO , he can't play the conventional NFL game as a QB needs to be able to make the necessary reads and know when there really is pressure and when he can just step up in the pocket and deliver a throw. From what I saw this year , he can't do that . How much of this can be taught ? Probably not enough and maybe that's why Gruden has moved away from him.

Rick Mirer was ROY too. Doesn't mean he wasn't a bust. ROY means zero

That was not the point. Saying RG was going to be a bust three years ago means you were wrong after year one. He had a great rookie year. He has since struggled and not been on the field much due to injury and coaching changes.

That was not the point. Saying RG was going to be a bust three years ago means you were wrong after year one. He had a great rookie year. He has since struggled and not been on the field much due to injury and coaching changes.

great talent overcomes coaching changes. He was great his rookie year because of the read option. That doesn't work anymore. You can't be a great qb if you can't read a defense and play great from the pocket

So you blame that (most ?)God awful play on "coaching changes." LOL. Let's see how many GM's agree with that one. Pretty easy to figure out . If true , they probably get offered at least a 1st round draft pick for him. 

So you blame that (most ?)God awful play on "coaching changes." LOL. Let's see how many GM's agree with that one. Pretty easy to figure out . If true , they probably get offered at least a 1st round draft pick for him. 

No. But not all of it was RG either. Redskins are the very definition of disorganized. They are as much player killers as RG is a coach killer.

No. But not all of it was RG either. Redskins are the very definition of disorganized. They are as much player killers as RG is a coach killer.

I don't know if they are " player killers." No doubt Snider is a bad owner , but something like that is hard to quantify. Time will tell. I'm just glad that Andrew Luck was in the 2012 draft...

I don't think they get a first for him but hey...we gave Cleveland a first for Trent and he showed even LESS promise than RGIII. I am sure there is an organization out there that thinks they can invest time in the kid and rehabilitate him. He has some very good skills...lets not pretend that he is something no better than what we stepped in the backyard. I agree he has a lot to overcome with what his head was filled with by the owner and organization and then combine injuries and a totally missed training camp a year ago and a new OC, coach, and scheme and more injuries this year its been total chaos for the kid. Perhaps he wasn't ready for the success...some kids aren't...but he has some very good tools that a good coach could use. Perhaps after a reality check and sitting some pine and some dedicated work I still think he could be a nice qb in this league. HOF...well nobody but Skip was saying that but adequate...or at least perform to the level of an Andy Dalton/Cam Newton/Colin Kapernick and win you games...yeah I think he could in the right situation. So before we start calling the guy names etc perhaps we should just call it like it is....he got overhyped, believed his hype/owner and took a tumble....next step is all up to him....but I see no reason to burn him at the stake. He has made some bone head comments but he also has reached out into his community and done many nice things for kids too...lets not make this kid out to be the devil here.