Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Leaf Released From Prison

HarryTheCat

According to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11976545/ryan-leaf-released-prison-montana

What a sad story for a guy who showed so much potential and made so little of it. Most of us remember the debates that raged prior to the 1998 draft, arguing the merits of Manning vs. Leaf as the top pick that year.  We Colts fans were certainly fortunate that the "powers that be" made the right choice. 

From what I understand now, the decision wasn't as close as people made it seem.  I think Polian and Irsay were very sold on Peyton, but they did a pretty good job of remaining tight-lipped about it.

Just like the RGIII/Luck decision. A lot of people stir up conversation to keep suspense for the draft and sell some papers but inside the organization it wasn't even close.

Anyways I was thinking the Jets need a qb....maybe they run out Leaf? I mean he only has to throw it like 10 times a game. As bad as that organization is they likely don't get the top pick (Mariota assumingly) and probably end up with Jamais Winston....and the losing will continue.

Don't matter at all how bad of a player he was. Most of these players end up broke once their short career is over.

At the end of the day he's just like the rest of us normal people down at the bottom that struggle to survive in this country, while watching these over paid athletes on the TeeVee.

Don't matter at all how bad of a player he was. Most of these players end up broke once their short career is over.

At the end of the day he's just like the rest of us normal people down at the bottom that struggle to survive in this country, while watching these over paid athletes on the TeeVee.

Some end up broke not most.

Also, i think you would be much happier in a communist state

I hope Ryan Leaf can get some semblance of stability in his life now as well as a good support system among his family & friends. I have a relative who has been in & out of drug rehab a lot & it's a rocky road to redemption. 

Good luck Mr. Leaf. I sincerely mean that. 

sad wasted potential

Don't do drugs kids

Did Leaf become addicted to pain killers only as an NFL player or was he experimenting with other illegal substances in college too? I'm just asking.

I remember when Packers QB Brett Favre had that press conference to disclose his addiction to pain pills as much as I disliked his retirement antics I did feel bad for the guy.  

I think he could have been a great quarterback.  I think he needed a veteran QB to mentor him, not just in the ways of reading defenses and managing the game.  He had a tough time with the press also.  I remember Junior Seau walking him away from the reporter that he was yelling at.  I think the substances were a result of an injury leading to an addiction.  

It would have been nice if he would have gone to a coach like Dungy or someone of that nature. Things might have been different.  

I wish him the best and hope that he is successful at what he tries next. 

Did Leaf become addicted to pain killers only as an NFL player or was he experimenting with other illegal substances in college too? I'm just asking.

I remember when Packers QB Brett Favre had that press conference to disclose his addiction to pain pills as much as I disliked his retirement antics I did feel bad for the guy.  

I don't know when it started but it's been going on a long time.  It's sad

From what I understand now, the decision wasn't as close as people made it seem.  I think Polian and Irsay were very sold on Peyton, but they did a pretty good job of remaining tight-lipped about it.

I wasn't a Colts fan at the time, but from what I've seen you are right and it was even less of a close decision then that.

I heard the Chargers called the Colts about swapping picks because THEY wanted Manning and where willing to pay a premium in order to pick him.  Colts rejected the offer obviously.

I vividly remember a Sports Illustrated blurb (one of those little side pieces in a larger article) after week 2 of the 1998 NFL season. Leaf started 2-0 and had played decently, while Manning had struggled in his first two games and the Colts were 0-2. The tone was "should the Colts have gone with Leaf?" Well we all know how that turned out. I really wish I had kept that issue. I do hope Leaf can get back on his feet for good. Before this last stint he was coaching football at some small college I believe.

I vividly remember a Sports Illustrated blurb (one of those little side pieces in a larger article) after week 2 of the 1998 NFL season. Leaf started 2-0 and had played decently, while Manning had struggled in his first two games and the Colts were 0-2. The tone was "should the Colts have gone with Leaf?" Well we all know how that turned out. I really wish I had kept that issue. I do hope Leaf can get back on his feet for good. Before this last stint he was coaching football at some small college I believe.

The media, writers etc. were quick to jump to, or atleast suggest, conclusions before social media was being thought about. They just didn't have to own up to it. If they were wrong everything just reset the next week.

Lol that would have been front page on NFL.com in 2014. They aren't much better than TMZ these days.