Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Show Coby Fleener some Love

James Harden

Just to make the point, he got hit while making a third down catch yesterday

That was what caused me to even start this subject. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want people to start yelling "confirmation bias!" at me.

But yeah, Fleener doesn't really catch contested passes. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UnitedTemptingHyracotherium.gif

QuaintWaterloggedBlacknorwegianelkhound.

Those are so beautiful. Anyone who thinks Fleener is much faster than Allen just check out how fast Allen runs down the sidelines in those gifs. That's some hard running. Also, both of those plays were 3rd down. Clutch.

Not to take anything away from Fleener, he's been great lately. I just think there's a common misconception among fans that Fleener's much faster than Allen due to their 40 times but their on field speeds are much closer with Allen maybe even being a little faster.

Those are so beautiful. Anyone who thinks Fleener is much faster than Allen just check out how fast Allen runs down the sidelines in those gifs. That's some hard running. Also, both of those plays were 3rd down. Clutch.

Not to take anything away from Fleener, he's been great lately. I just think there's a common misconception among fans that Fleener's much faster than Allen due to their 40 times but their on field speeds are much closer with Allen maybe even being a little faster.

yep

To be fair though. Lots of people only understand 40 times. They have zero idea what is going on during a game

my god

He is a professional. People will go to any length to defend fleener

And some people will go to any length to knock Fleener.

Including one poster who actually said here that Fleener should give up football because he's not very good at it.

That's among the dumbest things ever posted here........

That is really how I feel..    BUT Coby has a combination of size and speed that not many TE's in t;he NFL can match.   He has got to ADD the CONSISTENCY.        He CAN NOT drop wide open bunny's. .        and he does it all the time. 

I would give him a "fair" contract offer but I am NOT paying him what Allen will get.   And he will get more.    and he deserves it.    

When or IF Coby ever starts catching everything...     then he is officially a WEAPON.   but until...  he proves it?   

Oh no doubt, it didn't cost them the game, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fleener has bad hands.

He's a great guy, but he's not an elite TE, and he doesn't deserve to be paid or mentioned like one. He's just run of the mill, average, or slightly better than average.

If he made those catches instead of drops all the time, it would be a different story.

I'm not sure what the infatuation with him here is though, it is a bit unnerving.

And some people will go to any length to knock Fleener.

Including one poster who actually said here that Fleener should give up football because he's not very good at it.

That's among the dumbest things ever posted here........

No one here would ever say anything so absurd...

You have a hard time with sarcasm don't you?  

Look, IF INDY wants to win in the playoffs LATE in the season.      Coby is not the TE you want to rely on.

D ALLEN is   he is arguably their best RUN BLOCKER that comes from coaches.    He excels at it.   Thus the reason Indy kept him out of the pattern so much early.  

Allen has a bit of the "dropsies" also...   but when the checks are about to get signed...     D Allen is the one Indy will lock.   Coby's status is all on him.     I am NOT paying him big bucks.     YeT.

And I am NOT a ONE OR the OTHER guy.  I want them both.     BUT one is much more valuable than the other.    

That's just dumb and not true

Coby has every bit of the ability of Gronk ...     BUT he does not possess his toughness nor his HANDS. 

A lot of really talented guys run through this league.    Coby is close ...   but he has got to snag the bunny tosses.

He was decent but still not playing up to his potential. If Fleener played with the toughness of Allen, he would be a top 3 TE in the league. Sometimes he plays like he's afraid to get hit, he needs to think about catching the ball first before the hit. 

You have a hard time with sarcasm don't you?

Look, IF INDY wants to win in the playoffs LATE in the season. Coby is not the TE you want to rely on.

D ALLEN is he is arguably their best RUN BLOCKER that comes from coaches. He excels at it. Thus the reason Indy kept him out of the pattern so much early.

Allen has a bit of the "dropsies" also... but when the checks are about to get signed... D Allen is the one Indy will lock. Coby's status is all on him. I am NOT paying him big bucks. YeT.

And I am NOT a ONE OR the OTHER guy. I want them both. BUT one is much more valuable than the other.

Are you sure YOU know what sarcasm is?

Oh sorry, let me rephrase so you'll understand....

ARE you SURE YoU knOW WHAT sarCASM is?!?!*

And Allen weighs what, 260? I wouldn't wanna be in the way of that. He's like a bowling ball

Both of them make a seriously good TE tandem.

Some of the posts in this thread are amazing. You would think fleener is the worst TE in NFL history reading some opinions of him.

Why can't people just admit that he's playing good? And he has been. Trying to get people to say they like Fleener is like pulling teeth. Fleener could have a 200 yard game with 5 TDs and people on here will say " yes but did you see his drop and he sucks at blocking"

I mean seriously? Come on.

Fleener's bigggest weakness (other than run blocking) is his absolute inability to make a catch as he is getting contacted. I don't think he's ever made a catch in traffic. Other than that he's a good player.

Didnt he have a catch or two in traffic in the NE game? Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he did.

heheeeeeeee    I teach...       if you need help? 

Whatever...   that retort was so....       high schoolish...  

Oh well ....    ehheheheee   guess one has to deal with the mentality you are FORCED to deal with.

Are you sure YOU know what sarcasm is?

Oh sorry, let me rephrase so you'll understand....

ARE you SURE YoU knOW WHAT sarCASM is?!?!*

Do you watch every game?    It's kind of a common theme....   

He is playing GREAT ..... BUT...         and a HUGE BUT...   he drops the easiest passed any PLAYER could ask for.

that is just disturbing....         on every level.

Some of the posts in this thread are amazing. You would think fleener is the worst TE in NFL history reading some opinions of him.

Why can't people just admit that he's playing good? And he has been. Trying to get people to say they like Fleener is like pulling teeth. Fleener could have a 200 yard game with 5 TDs and people on here will say " yes but did you see his drop and he sucks at blocking"

I mean seriously? Come on.

Do you watch every game?    It's kind of a common theme....   

He is playing GREAT ..... BUT...         and a HUGE BUT...   he drops the easiest passed any PLAYER could ask for.

that is just disturbing....         on every level.

He has five drops this season. Same as Reggie. Dwayne Allen actually has a higher drop rate on catchable passes (3 drops out of 29 catchable passes).

You know some guys who have a ton of drops? Julian Edelman, with 9. Mohamed Sanu, with 12. You wanna talk about a common theme, let's talk about one of those guys, who have been leading their teams in receptions this year, but drop a pass pretty much every week. The reason those guys don't get hammered about drops is because the good outweighs the bad. And over the last three games with Fleener, the good outweighs the bad, and it's not even close.

No one is wishing away the problems with Fleener. His drops this year have been too frequent (and a couple of them were TD throws, which is doubly painful). But after a game like yesterday's when he more than made up for the drop, a person can't even say "Oh, Fleener had a good game, nice," without the piranhas trying to devour him and anyone who dares to say that he played well. It's ridiculous.

I get it .....      It is the ones that hit him SQUARELY in the hands he muffs.

He is in his third season.        Let me ask you Superman, would YOU pay Coby top dollar?  

I simply would not, not right now.   Does not mean I do not want him.  But it is really scary how many bunnies he drops.  

He is NOT a hands receiver, he would prefer to "belly" the ball.    And that is the kiss of death to an NFL "player" ...

I want it to happen ...   but...       No big bucks for Coby, let him go to NE and win us a game.

JMO

A lot of contracts up next season...     Allen will get done, but what is Coby worth?  

What you all say?    All things being EQUAL...    I am giving Allen 2 - 3m    and offering Coby ....  around 2m which I think is fair for both.     But when other teams get involved....         look out.

Dig up the rest of the leagues TE salaries and some of you may be a little surprised...     

Coby's hands just scare the hell out of me.       Maybe I'm wrong...?  I hope.

What a horrendous thread.

Fleener makes some mistakes, but is playing great.

Luck makes some mistakes, but is playing great.

Hilton is playing great, but is making some mistakes.

Castanzo is playing great, but is making some mistakes.

You get my drift.

Or we could talk about DHB or Hackeem Nicks or Sammy Satelle or maybe even Josh Gordy.

Shut this trash down now mods.

I get it ..... It is the ones that hit him SQUARELY in the hands he muffs.

He is in his third season. Let me ask you Superman, would YOU pay Coby top dollar?

I simply would not, not right now. Does not mean I do not want him. But it is really scary how many bunnies he drops.

He is NOT a hands receiver, he would prefer to "belly" the ball. And that is the kiss of death to an NFL "player" ...

I want it to happen ... but... No big bucks for Coby, let him go to NE and win us a game.

JMO

Who said anything about paying him top dollar? What's with people putting words in my mouth, rather than just responding to what I'm actually saying? Why all the strawman responses?

Also, it's false that Fleener bodies catches. He doesn't.

Oh... and dude cannot block... .       just saying...

so...he cannot block and he cannot catch?  why oh why do the coaches keep him around then...not only keep him around, but give him substantial playing time

heheeeeeeee    I teach...       if you need help? 

Whatever...   that retort was so....       high schoolish...  

Oh well ....    ehheheheee   guess one has to deal with the mentality you are FORCED to deal with.

yes.... I suppose one does.... have to deal.... with ...whatever you said

Wow... this thread is starting to remind me of the Ferguson riots... You say one thing that goes against the popular belief that Fleener sucks, can't catch, can't block, Dwayne Allen rules... And you get shouted down and your shop burned down by all the "No Allen, No peace" "Hands up, Fleener Sucks" people...

Chillax people.  There is room on the Colts for both Allen and Fleener.  They both of their strengths and weaknesses.  How many games has Allen missed in his 3 years compared to Fleener?  Yes, Fleener is sometimes inconsistent with his catching and isn't as strong of a blocker as Allen.  Ok, great, move the heck on.

Sometimes I think some of you people need more to do at work or something (As I sit here at work drinking my coffee typing this)... Just sayin!

I don't think anybody in this thread has called him "elite" nor has anybody said that he catches everything. If anything, the people who are trying to give him props here have gone out of their way to acknowledge his big drops. What more are you looking for??

It's like no one is allowed to like anybody on this team whether they play big roles or small ones. They have to be board-sanctioned world beaters first. It's annoying and tiresome.

and just because you like him, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Personally I think he's a bust, drafted way to high for his output, he's not a Ryan leaf type bust, but he surely hasn't lived up to expectations.

Once Fleener quit playing scared, he has been doing very well. The dropped TD drove me bananas, but at least Luck went right to him after the drop. 

The only thing that seems weird, is that it seems like it takes Allen going out for Fleener to do well. Maybe when Allen comes back they can both light it up. No way a Defense could cover both of our TE's all game. 

and just because you like him, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Personally I think he's a bust, drafted way to high for his output, he's not a Ryan leaf type bust, but he surely hasn't lived up to expectations.

I'm not asking you to like him.

I feel like I'm being beaten over the head with the "Fleener sucks" opinion. Particularly in a thread where all anybody wanted to say was that he did a decent job Sunday. Not a spectacular job, a decent one.

But that's ok. I'll know better for next time.

I thought Ertz was in the next year's draft.

That's what I meant. When I saw Ertz come out the next year, It seemed as if we got our TE from Stanford a year early. But I think Coby is the real deal now. Still drops the occasional pass, and I still think Allen is the "tougher" player, but Fleener is just as skilled as Ertz.