Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you want the Colts to hire Jim Harbaugh?

mintor

What if the Colts hired Jim Harbaugh?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want the Colts to hire Jim Harbaugh?

• yes
    • no
    • Maybe

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he did a fantastic job with Alex Smith. Many thought he was an NFL bust and Jim not only helped develop him but put in offense that took advantage of his skills something the other niners coach never did. Not that any of them were there that long. I also think he has done a nice job with Kaepernick who is not a traditional QB in terms of his pocket passing and he has got a lot out of his game although I do wonder how much further he can take his passing. But it is still early in the process.

I was not talking about the defense in terms of the hard-hitting but more the mentality. Both sides of the ball with the niners are physical whether it is Gore running or Boldin and Davis outmuscling the defense. I think he brings a certain swag and coaches his players to play with attitude.

None of this is a criticism of Pagano by the way. I like him too. Just more of a critique of Harbaugh and how he could help the Colts.

He has positive attributes, for sure. Like I said, he's a good coach, I just wouldn't want to deal with the negative attributes that seem like a guarantee, wherever he goes.

Alex Smith had to put up with a lot of boneheads in his first few years in SF, with coaching changes and coordinator changes pretty much every year. He also had some injuries. Some might have called him a bust, but the talent was always there. Didn't help that Aaron Rodgers had become one of the best QBs in the league, with a Super Bowl win the year before Harbaugh got to SF. But yeah, he definitely seemed to benefit from Harbaugh.

Kaep is reported to not keep his poise after he sees that his first option is covered.  It seems that a lot of his success is with improvisation plays.  Its the same criticism I have of Manziel.   But its hard to judge really how good of pocket readers and passers either Kaep or Smith is is..given that neither SF or KC gets consistent WR play.  I think Smith did more with what he had at SF. 

Kaep has started 33 games so far. He was considered a raw talent coming out of Nevada -- needed refinement as a pocket passer, but very gifted with his arm and of course with his legs. It's not surprising to me that he relies on improvisation, and struggles working out of the pocket as a progression based passer. As a matter of fact, that's a challenge for any young QB. Kaep was supposed to sit for a couple of years, anyway. 

But when you want to see why Harbaugh favored him over Smith, look at Kaep's games against the Packers. He has a higher ceiling than Smith, despite having a somewhat flawed base. He adds an element of explosion to their offense, and I don't think they would have gone to the Super Bowl in 2012 with Smith starting. JMO. So I find it ironic that you feel Smith did more with less.

We can also talk about Smith's aversion to risk and his lack of improvisation, which keeps him from making the big plays that his team sometimes needs. Don't know if you saw the end of regulation in that Saints/Niners game a couple of weeks ago, but that throw down the field to Crabtree is something that Smith has never done, especially with the play and protection breaking down. 

Long story short, I get why Harbaugh chose Kaep, despite his warts. Tough decision either way, so I don't see why you'd hold that against him, especially given the success that they've had with Kaep.

Polian is the one who hurt this team in the end with really BAD drafts his last 4 years or so.     Dungy was the best thing to ever happen to this team.       Had a LOT of BAD "luck" not occurred Indy could have multiple rings in the "Dungy" era.   

Tony was NOT bringing the talent in.       Bill was....     And Caldwell was not horrible at all...      but the Jet TO was his worst moment.     

Whatever...   things will work itself out..     Irsay has proven he WANTS TO WIN...       The end of this season is HUGE for pags IMO.  IF Jimbo is available ...   Colts struggle down the stretch..   Andrew Luck in house....   I can totally see it.  

I think Peyton Manning was the best thing to ever happen to the Colts, but I understand what you mean.

I don't resent Dungy in any way. His approach and his poise and so on were critical to the development of the team back then. I don't agree with a lot of his individual decisions, or his overall conservative nature, but he was a definite positive. And the problem with the lack of talent, especially at the end, was definitely on Polian. Dungy wasn't even here when the talent really started to erode. 

I still don't trust his objective with the Caldwell appointment, though. Independent of Caldwell's eventuality, whether he was good or bad, that's not how you hire a coach, and if you are going to appoint a successor, you don't let the guy with one foot out the door make the decision.

As for Harbaugh, save for a complete meltdown down the stretch, Pagano isn't going anywhere.

Kaep has started 33 games so far. He was considered a raw talent coming out of Nevada -- needed refinement as a pocket passer, but very gifted with his arm and of course with his legs. It's not surprising to me that he relies on improvisation, and struggles working out of the pocket as a progression based passer. As a matter of fact, that's a challenge for any young QB. Kaep was supposed to sit for a couple of years, anyway. 

But when you want to see why Harbaugh favored him over Smith, look at Kaep's games against the Packers. He has a higher ceiling than Smith, despite having a somewhat flawed base. He adds an element of explosion to their offense, and I don't think they would have gone to the Super Bowl in 2012 with Smith starting. JMO. So I find it ironic that you feel Smith did more with less.

We can also talk about Smith's aversion to risk and his lack of improvisation, which keeps him from making the big plays that his team sometimes needs. Don't know if you saw the end of regulation in that Saints/Niners game a couple of weeks ago, but that throw down the field to Crabtree is something that Smith has never done, especially with the play and protection breaking down. 

Long story short, I get why Harbaugh chose Kaep, despite his warts. Tough decision either way, so I don't see why you'd hold that against him, especially given the success that they've had with Kaep.

I agree with every word of this post. Kaep strapped the niners team to his back last year on the road and went into GB and Carolina and delivered wins and was about six inches away from beating Seattle in Seattle had he put just a little more air under that pass to Crabtree in the end zone.

I like Kaep a lot and he is the type of young QB that I would want leading my team. He pushes the ball downfield, can kill you with his legs and has a penchant for the big play when needed to win a game. The niners have had several close games this year where he has eeked out the win as 4 of their 6 wins have been by less than one score.

If I am a GB fan, I am really hoping they are odd team out in the West and miss the post-season. They have GBs number.

Chuck needs a better staff around him. He's still too green as a HC, and needs some experience around him. The leadership he brings overall is still worth keeping him around for, I believe. We can win a superbowl with him as our head coach... but not with these coordinators and position coaches

He's coaching a different team with different players in the NFC and in a much different division. Plus, by focusing on the present it's conviently ignoring a SB appearance and two nfc championships.

I don't think his record this year is all-encompassing, and it's certainly not a knock against him, but I don't think it's irrelevant. The Niners have had their struggles this season. They have a lot going on, and I can easily just blame it all on the defensive injuries, but their offense has been suffering an identity crisis all season long (actually, going back to last season). 

You're right. It's not relevant. Harbaugh is a really good coach. I still don't want him. We have a coach already.

I don't think his record this year is all-encompassing, and it's certainly not a knock against him, but I don't think it's irrelevant. The Niners have had their struggles this season. They have a lot going on, and I can easily just blame it all on the defensive injuries, but their offense has been suffering an identity crisis all season long (actually, going back to last season). 

You're right. It's not relevant. Harbaugh is a really good coach. I still don't want him. We have a coach already.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Chuck get the ax.....I just find it it odd that people would pass on him due to his sideline behavior. To me his sideline behavior is like Irsay's twitter account....amusing and harmless.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Chuck get the ax.....I just find it it odd that people would pass on him due to his sideline behavior. To me his sideline behavior is like Irsay's twitter account....amusing and harmless.

I personally haven't mentioned his sideline behavior. I don't think it's an issue by itself, but it might be symptomatic of some of the other issues Harbaugh reportedly has. I agree though, that isn't a good reason to not like someone as a coach. IMO

When is the last time a team won their division and made the playoffs with a game at home. We will probably win at least one playoff game started firing coach's?

I am not the biggest Pep fan but it isn't happening unless someone decides to take another job I would be surprised if any of the big 3 went anywhere.

When is the last time a team won their division and made the playoffs with a game at home. We will probably win at least one playoff game started firing coach's?

I am not the biggest Pep fan but it isn't happening unless someone decides to take another job I would be surprised if any of the big 3 went anywhere.

San Diego and Marty Shottenheimer. Not their best moment

when is his contract up?.  as long as we wouldn't have to give up draft picks.  Irsay has the cash on-hand :)

Pagano seems a little soft at times and deer in the headlights during games where we are getting it handed to us.  Versus really good teams, I don't think this team has gotten better.  In fact, it's probably the opposite.  Let's harken back to the Bruce Arians year.  Or when we played good teams last year, we did pretty well until the Patriots train-wreck.

I like Coach Pagano & GM Grigson working side by side in INDY. I don't want Jim Harbaugh. Chuck will figure it out. He has my full confidence. No, that's not code for "fire" him either.

Pags is a gym rat & anything from the Baltimore Ravens program makes me happy. If I was gonna go after a Harbaugh brother, it would be John not Jim by a landslide. 

Harbaugh is a hothead but Chuck is one of the dullest pencils in the box.

Jim Harbaugh is a kid in a man's body. The guy's character is clearly in question when you look at his history as a head coach of the 49ers. I loved the guy's fiery and determination as a player, but that is another thing altogether. And, the guy is not going to eagerly take an assistant position...

I used the word EMBARRASSED ...   and I meant it .     Not every coach in the NFL gets EMBARRASSED by Bill VADER 3 straight go's at it.    And NE played basically the same as they did in the last Jan game and Indy was clueless.  

I like Chuck, and I really hope he turns it around but this team has a nasty trend going when they face really good coaches and QB's.   They lose.

JMO...     His big win was @ SF last season and that was a long time ago.   Seattle and Denver last year were coin flips that Luck saved the team.    Which he has done what 11 or 12 times since he has been here?   I just don't see it happening with Chuck.   This team keeps coming up way short when it matters most.  

In other words, the same mistakes and deficiencies keep repeating. Things like the team not being prepared, and not executing. These types of things, to me, are indicative of inadequate preparation, which falls on the head coach. This is the biggest knock on Pagano, if you ask me.

The Colts are talented enough with just a few key players, that they've managed to win DESPITE these ongoing defects. But how much better could they have been, if better prepared? And how much of Luck's career will have been wasted behind a mediocre O-line (not that that is Pag's fault).

That said, I'm not sure there's a better HC out there to choose from. I mean, what do we really know about Harbaugh? How much of his success in San Fran was due to having talented players, versus great coaching?