Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RGIII blaming teammates for Redskins loss?

ReMeDy

Very pointed comments to say the least. Jay seems very frustrated with him and I think that is seeping out. You look for your QB to be a leader and for RG to perform the way he did AND criticize his teammates may have been the tipping point. 

I agree with you though, I have never heard a HC be so harsh with his QB and so specific too. Not sure if that was smart by Gruden. He had said Robert needs to learn to keep things in house and then he hangs him out to dry.

Yeah.. I mean the only way that would be smart is if you were trading or benching him. Other words just explaining to your fan base why he'll no longer be the staring QB. I'm sure this is not the case so all this does is make RG3 dislike Gruden more than he did 5 minutes before that lambasting. Plus it no doubt puts added pressure on him.

I guess maybe one could say it's a well needed wake up call ? One thing is for certain .. time will tell.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I see this, we were rebuilding pretty much like the redskins in 2012. A winning organization (Colts) doesn't get cute. They take the best player in the draft and build around him. The Redskins take a guy who had an ACL tear at Baylor in college and is a running, read option qb. They also trade 3 first round picks and a 2nd to move up. They gave up the 6th pick in 2012, the 39th pick in 2012, the 22nd pick in 2013, and the 2nd pick in 2014 to move up 4 spots to take RGIII.

To put this in perspective they wasted 4 picks that have the best chance of producing elite players. To put this in another perspective, lets see what we got with the 4 picks that the Redskins traded for RGIII just to see what kind of team picks like that can create.

2012 1st round pick:   Andrew Luck

2012 2nd round pick: Coby Fleener

2013 1st round pick:  Bjoern Werner

2014 1st round pick: Trent Richardson

This was our haul that we got with the 4 picks that the skins could of had. Luck is a huge hit, Coby and Bjoern are improving fast, and even though Trent is kind of a bust (he has his strengths, but he's average at best) we hit on 3 of those picks. the skins wasted 4 picks on this kid and it will set them back 5 years. This is the year that we really started to see our 2012 draft class develop and when you gamble and lose on 4 picks, your development is down the toilet.

Kinda interesting that we can appreciate what we got when you lay another team's misfortunes and our gain comparatively on the table. 

It was funny I saw some montage of QB's on NFL network . . . 

It shows RG3 saying that even the elite QB's like Peyton don't play well when their teammates don't play well. 

Then it shows Peyton saying that he let his team down. 

I don't know if they intended that or not but it was pretty hilarious.  

RG3 still doesn't have the mindset to be a good QB, he doesn't take responsibility.  It's always someone else's fault even when it's not.  

On the other hand guys like Luck and Peyton take responsibility and they often say it's their fault even when it's not.

Exactly right. Robert is correct that Manning and Brady and Brees don't play well when their teammates don't play well.

But when the games over, those guys take ALL the blame. Its me and we...never me and my teammates. Big difference

Manning's O-line is having problems..and its obvious...But he needs them so he does not ever single them out for anything but praise.

Brady knew his receivers weren't getting anything done early this year. But he didnt say it publicaly because there's no way to lead anybody by saying something yu both know in public

Robert needs to blame himself alone and let the press blame his teammates

Here's how I see this, we were rebuilding pretty much like the redskins in 2012. A winning organization (Colts) doesn't get cute. They take the best player in the draft and build around him. The Redskins take a guy who had an ACL tear at Baylor in college and is a running, read option qb. They also trade 3 first round picks and a 2nd to move up. They gave up the 6th pick in 2012, the 39th pick in 2012, the 22nd pick in 2013, and the 2nd pick in 2014 to move up 4 spots to take RGIII.

To put this in perspective they wasted 4 picks that have the best chance of producing elite players. To put this in another perspective, lets see what we got with the 4 picks that the Redskins traded for RGIII just to see what kind of team picks like that can create.

2012 1st round pick:   Andrew Luck

2012 2nd round pick: Coby Fleener

2013 1st round pick:  Bjoern Werner

2014 1st round pick: Trent Richardson

This was our haul that we got with the 4 picks that the skins could of had. Luck is a huge hit, Coby and Bjoern are improving fast, and even though Trent is kind of a bust (he has his strengths, but he's average at best) we hit on 3 of those picks. the skins wasted 4 picks on this kid and it will set them back 5 years. This is the year that we really started to see our 2012 draft class develop and when you gamble and lose on 4 picks, your development is down the toilet.

Kinda interesting that we can appreciate what we got when you lay another team's misfortunes and our gain comparatively on the table. 

They thought they had their franchise guy though at the most important position in all of sports. It was worth the risk but it just didn't work out at least so far anyways.

Watched his interview and he said they all need to play better.  Same message from the coach

media is taking a difficult situation and spinning it into more

I hope they get it together.  Probably best for them to have a pr person help them with what they say.  Media and fans love to beat down, don't give them the chance

Yeah.. I mean the only way that would be smart is if you were trading or benching him. Other words just explaining to your fan base why he'll no longer be the staring QB. I'm sure this is not the case so all this does is make RG3 dislike Gruden more than he did 5 minutes before that lambasting. Plus it no doubt puts added pressure on him.

I guess maybe one could say it's a well needed wake up call ? One thing is for certain .. time will tell.

I told you back before the season began that Gruden was not a good hire. That was a horrible response from him. I don't even know where to begin with ripping your OWN QB that way. This team is all done with him as HC. Time to move on  ... maybe time to move on from RG too but they have too much invested to not give it another go with a new HC.

I told you back before the season began that Gruden was not a good hire. That was a horrible response from him. I don't even know where to begin with ripping your OWN QB that way. This team is all done with him as HC. Time to move on  ... maybe time to move on from RG too but they have too much invested to not give it another go with a new HC.

I'd like to go back to all the RG3 threads from his rookie year and see just who had his number best. Not smart by Gruden as it only makes a disaster worse. But at this point in time , as we stand right now .. RG3 is a perfect example of both a "coach kiler" and "franchise killer." You are the first RG3 supporter to show his (her) face. Waiting on the rest but can't seem to find them.....

Watched his interview and he said they all need to play better.  Same message from the coach

I hope they get it together.  Probably best for them to have a pr person help them with what they say.  Media and fans love to beat down, don't give them the chance

Did you listen to the 3 minute video I put up n Gruden ? He says a little more than they all need to play better

I'd like to go back to all the RG3 threads from his rookie year and see just who had his number best. Not smart by Gruden as it only makes a disaster worse. But at this point in time , as we stand right now .. RG3 is a perfect example of both a "coach kiler" and "franchise killer." You are the first RG3 supporter to show his (her) face. Waiting on the rest but can't seem to find them.....

I think Snyder is an enabler though. He has been giving RG special treatment and striking his ego so there you go. He won't fire himself though so have to start over with another HC.

In fairness though to RG, I do think people need to admit that this team is awful and that goes back to Snyder too. They always have such dysfunction there. I don't get it. This isn't that hard. Hire good football people and then get out of their way and let them do their jobs.

He aint cocky anymore, he is in CYA mode.      Problem is I don't think he is getting this coach fired.   

I seen it in him before the draft.   Total spoiled, pampered, entitled, diva.     The product of a GREAT offensive football coach in college.    His whole "the comeback" campaign should have told everyone then all they needed to know about the type individual he is.

Cocky SOB.

I think Snyder is an enabler though. He has been giving RG special treatment and striking his ego so there you go. He won't fire himself though so have to start over with another HC.

In fairness though to RG, I do think people need to admit that this team is awful and that goes back to Snyder too. They always have such dysfunction there. I don't get it. This isn't that hard. Hire good football people and then get out of their way and let them do their jobs.

Funny but it seems like every question about RG coming out of college is turning out t be true. Now he sits there after 3 years with bad footwork , can't read the pocket , can't read the field and is losing the team and coach. He's really a long shot to make it with Washington as we speak. He only really has 2015 as there is no way Washington opts for the 5th year on him this April.

Did you hear his comments from last week? According to rg3 he doesn't have people in high places.

What a joke he has turned out to be!!!

The injury he sustained last season has affected his comfort level in the pocket. It's visible...His performance has declined as a result. My guess is that he lasts another 3 seasons most likely as a backup for another team. May sound harsh, but to me it's the reality that he's looking at. The guy isn't going to miraculously improve when he's been erratic at best...

The injury he sustained last season has affected his comfort level in the pocket. It's visible...His performance has declined as a result. My guess is that he lasts another 3 seasons most likely as a backup for another team. May sound harsh, but to me it's the reality that he's looking at. The guy isn't going to miraculously improve when he's been erratic at best...

He's too arrogant to stand for being a backup. I say Andrew Luck will be winning Super Bowls long after rg3 is coaching high school

not denying there's been drama there. Just saying this doesn't help. At least I've never seen comments like this help.

For the most part I would agree with you for 99% of the other teams, coaches, and QB's. With that said, as arrogant and self absorbed as rg3 has been on the public stage, you can bet that he has been 10x worse behind closed doors. If this was the only way for Jay to get through rg3's thick skull that the coach is in charge and not rg3 then so be it. I for one completely understand Jay's frustration and don't fault him in the least for what he did. Jmo

This punk and the owner must be best of buddies because the coach came out yesterday and apologized for his comments that pointed the finger back at RG and RG made no apologies for his comments!

If I was on the line I would have to pull a few "longest yard" moves where the line just lets the defenders through to smash the QB!

I said he would be a bust before the draft - so glad we didn't take him!

I knew he was a me-me guy from jump street

This punk and the owner must be best of buddies because the coach came out yesterday and apologized for his comments that pointed the finger back at RG and RG made no apologies for his comments!

If I was on the line I would have to pull a few "longest yard" moves where the line just lets the defenders through to smash the QB!

I said he would be a bust before the draft - so glad we didn't take him!

The weirdest thing though is that the scouting completely failed on this one.  In 2012 I never heard any reports that RG3 was anything but a mature team player.  

This isn't like the Johnny Benchwarmer situation where everyone can see the immaturity plain as day and knew about it before the draft.  I never heard anything about this kind of stuff from him and you didn't see it his rookie year either.  

It slightly makes me wonder if the "friendship" with Synder may have hurt him a bit.  Sometimes being put in a situation where you can get away with nearly anything can bring out bad things in even the best of us and we tend to forget about the good habits that made us well adjusted with the "real world"  

If Synder is protecting RG3 from his coaches being too critical of him or something then you can see how that would happen over time.  I'm sure Irsay loves Andrew but I don't see Irsay telling the coaches to not point it out when Andrew makes a stupid decision. 

Watched his interview and he said they all need to play better. Same message from the coach

I hope they get it together. Probably best for them to have a pr person help them with what they say. Media and fans love to beat down, don't give them the chance

I don't think RG3 is all that likeable, but it was hilarious on NFL network to see all the hosts whining that RG3 isn't spoon feeding them headlines now.

Kurt Warner was going on and on about how disappointed he was that RG3 needs to be a man and continue to handle the media the way he did before...

The other host guy said he thought he was being childesh because he wouldn't give them headlines.

It's so funny to warch the media pukes bite the hand that feeds them, then complain and tear the person down even more when they stop feeding them.

The one thing the media loves more than building someone up is tearing them down

The weirdest thing though is that the scouting completely failed on this one.  In 2012 I never heard any reports that RG3 was anything but a mature team player.  

This isn't like the Johnny Benchwarmer situation where everyone can see the immaturity plain as day and knew about it before the draft.  I never heard anything about this kind of stuff from him and you didn't see it his rookie year either.  

It slightly makes me wonder if the "friendship" with Synder may have hurt him a bit.  Sometimes being put in a situation where you can get away with nearly anything can bring out bad things in even the best of us and we tend to forget about the good habits that made us well adjusted with the "real world"  

If Synder is protecting RG3 from his coaches being too critical of him or something then you can see how that would happen over time.  I'm sure Irsay loves Andrew but I don't see Irsay telling the coaches to not point it out when Andrew makes a stupid decision. 

The second best draft book was always Pro Football Weekly's. I bought theirs and Kiper's for years and years. The main guy for PFW in 2012 was Nolan Nawrocki. I dug up Kipers from 2012 and not a peep. I do remember Nawrocki questioning his personality but can't find the book. I did however find this which I believe they take a lot of this from his report. Interesting how they talk about his pocket presence and a few other possible flaws. Those are dead on from Nawrocki as I recall him having those issues with RG3.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1109526-2012-nfl-mock-draft-robert-griffin-and-polarizing-players-wholl-defy-critics

I don't think RG3 is all that likeable, but it was hilarious on NFL network to see all the hosts whining that RG3 isn't spoon feeding them headlines now.

Kurt Warner was going on and on about how disappointed he was that RG3 needs to be a man and continue to handle the media the way he did before...

The other host guy said he thought he was being childesh because he wouldn't give them headlines.

It's so funny to warch the media pukes bite the hand that feeds them, then complain and tear the person down even more when they stop feeding them.

The one thing the media loves more than building someone up is tearing them down

I agree

they want to fan the flames and I actually heard RGIII talking about team and accepting his responsibility.  Maybe he should have done it better. Everybody there needs some PR coaching

team morale will suffer even more if they don't present a united front.  

In that press conference, I thought the press were like jackals.  They were there to get him to say something they wanted

The second best draft book was always Pro Football Weekly's. I bought theirs and Kiper's for years and years. The main guy for PFW in 2012 was Nolan Nawrocki. I dug up Kipers from 2012 and not a peep. I do remember Nawrocki questioning his personality but can't find the book. I did however find this which I believe they take a lot of this from his report. Interesting how they talk about his pocket presence and a few other possible flaws. Those are dead on from Nawrocki as I recall him having those issues with RG3.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1109526-2012-nfl-mock-draft-robert-griffin-and-polarizing-players-wholl-defy-critics

People are just way too impressed by athletic freaks when it comes to the QB position.  

I remember that special on Tom Brady in which the draft pundits ripped into his lack of athletic ability and he said this and I think it's mostly true.  "Fortunately all that stuff doesn't have anything to do with quarterbacking."

The two most overrated aspects of QB's in the NFL are big arms and athletic ability.  

Arm Strength is of course necessary but once you reach a certain point, having tons of extra arm strength doesn't really help you all that much.  The guys with the strongest arms in the league arn't often anything more then average QB's.  Meanwhile Peyton right now has one of the weakest arms of any starting QB in the NFL and still sets records.

Athletic ability helps when you need to escape the pocket and maybe pick up yards with your feet.  So it's a good thing but you have to pay attention to how that athletic ability is used.  Guys with a lot of it have often learned "when in doubt run" because all the way up through college football they could out athlete the defenders and pick up first downs with their legs.  But they don't learn the finer points of quarterbacking like working around the pocket and buying time for an open throw.  So they are hurt by that and they also often find out in the NFL that they are no longer able to just out athlete all the defenders and it renders them ineffective.  

It was funny I saw some montage of QB's on NFL network . . . 

It shows RG3 saying that even the elite QB's like Peyton don't play well when their teammates don't play well.

Then it shows Peyton saying that he let his team down.

I don't know if they intended that or not but it was pretty hilarious. 

RG3 still doesn't have the mindset to be a good QB, he doesn't take responsibility.  It's always someone else's fault even when it's not.  

On the other hand guys like Luck and Peyton take responsibility and they often say it's their fault even when it's not.

Very true. It's called leadership and RG3 has little.

I agree

they want to fan the flames and I actually heard RGIII talking about team and accepting his responsibility.  Maybe he should have done it better. Everybody there needs some PR coaching

team morale will suffer even more if they don't present a united front.  

In that press conference, I thought the press were like jackals.  They were there to get him to say something they wanted

True Nadine- Right there lies where some problems arises. The PR people need to work with some of these players on how to make an interview go their way. Don't let the media hound trick you into getting mad and or saying something that is not clear. Sometimes the less said is the best.

I think he is itching to get McCoy back in there.

Maybe.  I think he's already decided about RG3 and the public criticism is a way to prepare the fanbase for what comes next.  No idea whether it'll be through FA, the draft, or promotion but I really think RG3 is done as the starter in Wash after this season.  At this point, the experts are painting a pretty bleak picture of what's going on with Griffin..hesitation, no pocket awareness, sloppy footwork, inaccurate reads, primarily finding checkdowns, etc..... its the young QB death spiral.  

Maybe.  I think he's already decided about RG3 and the public criticism is a way to prepare the fanbase for what comes next.  No idea whether it'll be through FA, the draft, or promotion but I really think RG3 is done as the starter in Wash after this season.  At this point, the experts are painting a pretty bleak picture of what's going on with Griffin..hesitation, no pocket awareness, sloppy footwork, inaccurate reads, primarily finding checkdowns, etc..... its the young QB death spiral.  

He still does have 6 games left to show enough to at leafs go into next year as the starter. I don't think it will take a whole lot otter than a good attitude as the competition has already shown they are pretty much back ups. I think the draft or FA route is a year away yet. Don't forget RG 3 is guaranteed 6.7 mill for 2015

The money consideration is a really good point.  Griffin just looks like he absolutely lacks the ability to run a professional offense and I just can't see Gruden punting the 2015 season.  Also, the guy under-performed and backstabbed Shanahan out of a job..I don't think Gruden is gonna let the same thing happen to him.

7 million and all those draft picks should keep him at #1 going into 2015. Now if he doesn't show any improvement at all in the last 6 games or another big injury , then I guess ya never know. I think what Gruden is doing is as much "job protection" as he can. He's telling the world that RG3 is very flawed and is trying like hell to not take any responsibility for all those things you mentioned in your first post. It should also be noted that he has some pretty good weapons on offense. Garcon and Jackson are great WRs and Reed is a very good TE when healthy. The question I have is how good is the O line ? A lot of these sacks are on RG not seeing the field , horrible footwork and bad pocket presence. 

In any event , this is an interesting story going forward. 

The money consideration is a really good point.  Griffin just looks like he absolutely lacks the ability to run a professional offense and I just can't see Gruden punting the 2015 season.  Also, the guy under-performed and backstabbed Shanahan out of a job..I don't think Gruden is gonna let the same thing happen to him.

You could make the same argument about money regarding any player. They are all over paid jocks at the end of the day.

Jimmy Graham and Drew Brees had to make sure they were paid mega cha ching to play for my team and they've underperformed too.

As for Gruden, he don't have to worry about Griffin. It's the sky man hovering over him called King Daniel thy Snyder that he has to worry about. Shanahan was done with or without Griffin. That 2012 winning season was a fluke. Look at Shanahan's record in Denver after Elway retired, he's one of the most overrated coaches to ever win a Super Bowl, period.

Washington is like these young guitar players I meet who have money and think buying a thousand dollar valued instrument automatically makes them the next John McLaughlin. They went Mike Ditka-Ricky Williams for this kid and they are shocked he sucks even though he has no coach, no good coordinator, and no offensive line. That stupid running around crap only worked in college. Same problem these dumb guitar kids have, his skills are not there but at least he has money or Washington has money and can buy their Cadillac and destroy it. Can't complete deep balls, and now, within 3 years of concussions, he's finally, finally sliding, not that it does him much good.

I remember when Griffin was up for draft and I flat out said he was going to be a bust. I don't know how people bought into this and it was an actual argument at one time if the Colts should have took him over Luck. That sounds pretty funny now doesn't it?

Wow...  this thing has no end. We talked months ago about if Cousin's had played well would RG3 be the starter. I said no many said yes . I don't see the RG3 defenders here anymore. Must be they'll only show up if he does well. So for now , Ill guess I'll take credit for that call. 

Sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Robert Griffin III will be on a short leash in Sunday's Week 12 game at San Francisco.

The Redskins dysfunction continues. Taking over as "Raiders East," they're now leaking that they could yank RG3 in favor ofColt McCoy -- either during Sunday's game or ahead of Week 13. Head coach Jay Gruden sharply criticized Griffin's fundamentals this week and even said the 2012 No. 2 overall pick has been "coddled." The Redskins, 0-2 since RG3 returned from a dislocated ankle, are 9.5-point underdogs Sunday. There's a disconnect between Gruden, who clearly wants a new franchise quarterback, and the front office.