Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angry Bears fans attacking Trestmans daughters

RockThatBlue

Chicago fans are brutal after the SB loss Rex got hundreds of death threats and they burned Die Rex in his yard and other words that would be filtered out . That is why he did not play for Chicago anymore when asked to take the starting role back

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if there's a positive to be gleaned here, it's that we all seem to know that that kind of behavior online is wrong. 

The thing about being a bag online in the name of being a "fan" is that it seems to stick with the whole fan base, which is wrong also.

Chicago hardly has "midwestern values".  Chicago is a small pocket of a lack of midwestern values with the midwest and it's values surrounding it.

I have been there and seen people literally step over a man who had collapsed on the sidewalk before the Ambulance could get to him.  You would never see that in most of the rest of the midwest save for maybe Detroit.

I'm just busting chops. I like your post. Chi-Town is a political hot bed and this isn't the place. Peace.

Thats just terrible. I know its only a few people typically but it just makes me feel sick at my stomach to think that people really behave like this. I don't care if its them trying to be funny on the internet or in person or just because they can't be identified...it just speaks to peoples character. A sport that is purely for entertainment and has absolutely no real value in a person's life shouldn't be taken so serious. Its suppose to be for fun..and to take it to the level you would stoop down and make comments like that just tells me there are more and more people with serious problems. Sad story. Hopefully though these crappy ones don't over shadow the great life teaching stories and moments we get almost everyday from the sport but seem to go mostly underreported.

That's pathetic.  It's just a game.  And I don't know what the process would be, but I would pursue legal action if I were her.  "Don't let me catch you walking alone"?  That's disturbing, threatening, and could be criminal.  Some of the accounts have been suspended

This is very sad....I know our civili liberty folks would hate this

But there eventually will be a way to track (now untracable) internet communication..and pass elgal judgement...

.......when that day comes..this stops.

Threats to children..even in the form of dislike of their dad...should be a crime

This is very sad....I know our civili liberty folks would hate this

But there eventually will be a way to track (now untracable) internet communication..and pass elgal judgement...

.......when that day comes..this stops.

Threats to children..even in the form of dislike of their dad...should be a crime

you think internet communication is untraceable?  haha  Do you think cell phones are untraceable too?

For those saying its just the internet and they don't mean it, how would you feel if you had kids and these were your daughters being viciously attacked?

I would go find those scums and beat the living **** out of them. No one touches my daughters. Unless possibly he is the QB of the team I'm coaching  

That's very intetesting...SCC...They need to go after folks who target children of famous people..like Trestman's kids..Attacking children or threatening a dad through his kids...needs to end with somebody doing time

Not the finest hour for the UK really... Quite clearly no malicious intent. This is the sort of thing that has freedom of speech people up I arms.

The flip side is when stuff likes this happens:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll

The thing that always troubles me is this: Why do some people online take out their frustrations on the children of the head coach of their favorite football team? I get it. They as fans are not happy with the final result. 

Does it stem from living vicariously through their favorite sports team or athlete? No romantic partners to help soften the devastating blow? A mundane job that doesn't pay enough or peak their interest? 

I like what House said & CBFL was right when he said that all ISP computer addresses can be tracked so no one is "protected" or shielded from blame. I understand what RDMY was getting at because I will say things during a game in the privacy of my own home in the heat of the moment that I wouldn't do or say for real, but I agree 100% that rape jokes are disgusting & completely over the line. 

I respect both House & RDMY who made excellent points in this thread. I just don't wanna come off as choosing sides among 2 Forum posters I really admire & enjoy reading. 

Not the finest hour for the UK really... Quite clearly no malicious intent. This is the sort of thing that has freedom of speech people up I arms.

The flip side is when stuff likes this happens:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll

It is surprising that episodes like Mr. Curtis Woodhouse's incident don't occur more often actually. I'm glad that this scenario didn't escalate & result in a tragic fatality though. 

Thanks for presenting the other side of the coin...Athletes who can lose perspective temporarily, but when the moment of tension arrives, they step back, take a deep breath, & do the ring thing SCC. Besides, SW1 likes an international point of view on situations anyway. It's posts like this 1 that makes me appreciate foreign football fans SCC1. 

I remember this case being profiled on TV. The first thing I said was "well his life is over." I felt bad for the guy because I figured he was just being sarcastic. Yes, it's a sick joke that's true, but you've gotta realize that certain topics you never joke about rape, incest, & bomb threats. 

I think a teen in America did a similar bone headed stunt, but I can't recall her name off the top of my head right now. Just don't flush your life down the toilet trying to be popular or cool, it's never worth it ever. 

Okay, my mistake. It was Rotterdam, Netherlands. not the United States. Sarah, you need to find a better recreational activity. I'm just saying...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/13/american-airlines-terrorism-joke_n_5143157.html

This is part of the reason I'm not on twitter. I don't give a crap where a person ate a sandwich, bought a new iphone, or in a moment of stupidity had a friendly chat with the FBI. 

I have more efficient ways of wasting my time.  :P Plus, all those darn abbreviations annoy me. If I wanted to learn truncation or morse code, I'd join the Navy. No, not the Village People BTW. I thought it was funny anyway. Mildly funny not hysterical. 

I do feel bad for Trestman's daughters though. Man, some fans can be downright cruel. If you have a problem with how a team is being run, discuss the Bears weak defense & lackluster offense on the official website & encourage ownership to clean house from top to bottom. Don't make lewd & sexually inappropriate remarks to his children. Disillusionment & hopelessness I get, but not expressing a fans own personal dysfunctions at another person's expense. 

We all bring our own baggage to the table when we vent, but most of us know when to stop & what line to never cross in a heated discussion or diatribe. Usually, guys who blur the line of decency are trying to overcompensate for something. Enough said. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 12, 2014 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, November 12, 2014 - personal argument

Because you'd certainly never hide behind the keyboard and make rude insulting comments right?

No. In all honesty I only call people out when they deserve to be called out, but we can't discuss that because of reasons. Plus the whole topic is a bore to others who are not privy to all the info, but I will say that what has been said to me on here is more rude than anything... but I digress. Stay on topic for the sake of everyone else.

I remember this case being profiled on TV. The first thing I said was "well his life is over." I felt bad for the guy because I figured he was just being sarcastic. Yes, it's a sick joke that's true, but you've gotta realize that certain topics you never joke about rape, incest, & bomb threats. 

I think a teen in America did a similar bone headed stunt, but I can't recall her name off the top of my head right now. Just don't flush your life down the toilet trying to be popular or cool, it's never worth it ever. 

Okay, my mistake. It was Rotterdam, Netherlands. not the United States. Sarah, you need to find a better recreational activity. I'm just saying...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/13/american-airlines-terrorism-joke_n_5143157.html

Meh... while I've probably shifted my natural political stance a bit as I've grown up I'd still take issue with people being arrested for this. In poor taste or not it wasn't directed at any one individual or individuals and was quite clearly a joke. To arrest someone for something like this sets a dangerous precedent really. I would add however that directly threatening and abusing an actual individual on Twitter is something completely different and that does start to cross the line into being a criminal act. 

"The way best way to prove a fool is a fool is to let him speak"

Meh... while I've probably shifted my natural political stance a bit as I've grown up I'd still take issue with people being arrested for this. In poor taste or not it wasn't directed at any one individual or individuals and was quite clearly a joke. To arrest someone for something like this sets a dangerous precedent really. I would add however that directly threatening and abusing an actual individual on Twitter is something completely different and that does start to cross the line into being a criminal act. 

"The way best way to prove a fool is a fool is to let him speak"

Well, that's kind of the problem with posts like these on social media like twitter. To be clear, I'm talking about the twitter post that said "Crap! Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your % together otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

The problem is, on the internet, no one really knows if you're joking. Human context is often lost in translation, and that's mostly due to the faceless, anonymous nature of the internet. Although I agree with you that they probably went overboard, I can see why they arrested him, given that the cost of not seriously taking a potential bomb threat is enormous.

I think the key takeaway message of this thread in general, though, is: if you wouldn't say it in real life, don't say it on the internet. I seriously wouldn't walk into an airport nowadays and joke about blowing it up, so I certainly wouldn't post it on Twitter. Maybe that's what we need to be teaching our kids.

Well, that's kind of the problem with posts like these on social media like twitter. To be clear, I'm talking about the twitter post that said "Crap! Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your % together otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

The problem is, on the internet, no one really knows if you're joking. Human context is often lost in translation, and that's mostly due to the faceless, anonymous nature of the internet. Although I agree with you that they probably went overboard, I can see why they arrested him, given that the cost of not seriously taking a potential bomb threat is enormous.

I think the key takeaway message of this thread in general, though, is: if you wouldn't say it in real life, don't say it on the internet. I seriously wouldn't walk into an airport nowadays and joke about blowing it up, so I certainly wouldn't post it on Twitter. Maybe that's what we need to be teaching our kids.

I agree with you to a degree, it was a stupid thing to say and yes by all means you have to investigate these sort of things. But I think it would become clear pretty quickly he wasn't a credible threat and then it we're into the grey world of whether a crime has been committed.

It's a very tough balance between protecting the rights of the individual and protecting others. 

If I were her, I'd make my twitter account private.  Too many crazies out there and you really do not know who really means what they are saying.

Better safe than sorry

And this does not reflect on the teams fans or the midwest.  Just a sorry example of the garbage some people spew online.

And BTW, deadspin doesn't post stories about nice tweets..........they make money talking about stuff like this.  Hard for me to take their high horse post about this.

I've said some mean things after a loss and did a fair share of cussin but those people need banned from twitter and background checks and possible harassment charges slapped on them

I like the idea of them losing their accounts on twitter.  Report that stuff!

I could not agree with you more. These types of threats need to be taken seriously. Once they have been investigated and deemed not credible, then charges can be dropped. I don't have any problem with this guy getting arrested but he probably should not have been convicted of a crime.

As for those who harassed Trestman's daughters, their comments were inexcusable. Their Twitter accounts should at least be suspended. Hopefully that would deter them from posting similar comments in the future.

Maybe they ought to be attacking the D.A... GM that signed Jay C to the what was it 4 yr 5yr way over paid contract. Im a Bears fan after the Colts ,never liked Cutler when he was in Denver and all the so called  football gurus from espn putting him with best QBs in the league.Hogwash never was , Rex Grossman was better if he had the tools Jay does to work with on the Field. The Bears are a victim of a very poor GM , the D has slid bigtime after the early departure of Urlacher . They are going to cut losses clean house and start over. And as far as the attacks on these kids TOTALLY SENSELESS !

No. In all honesty I only call people out when they deserve to be called out, but we can't discuss that because of reasons. Plus the whole topic is a bore to others who are not privy to all the info, but I will say that what has been said to me on here is more rude than anything... but I digress. Stay on topic for the sake of everyone else.

In short it's OK for you if you feel it's necessary. Got it. Just keep telling yourself that.

In short it's OK for you if you feel it's necessary. Got it. Just keep telling yourself that.

Life is too short to go around worrying about such things when you don't even know as Paul Harvey used to so eloquently say "the rest of the story." Stay on topic, and enjoy your time here... and your life because you never know when something might come along and kick you right in the butt. 

I agree with you to a degree, it was a stupid thing to say and yes by all means you have to investigate these sort of things. But I think it would become clear pretty quickly he wasn't a credible threat and then it we're into the grey world of whether a crime has been committed.

It's a very tough balance between protecting the rights of the individual and protecting others. 

It determines if the speech falls into these categories below, where it is specifically not protected speech-

Freedom of speech does not include the right:

• To incite actions that would harm others (e.g., “hout[ing] ‘fire’ in a crowded theater.”).

Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919).

• To make or distribute obscene materials.

Roth v. United States, 354 U.S. 476 (1957).

• To burn draft cards as an anti-war protest.

United States v. O’Brien, 391 U.S. 367 (1968).

• To permit students to print articles in a school newspaper over the objections of the school administration.

Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, 484 U.S. 260 (1988).

• Of students to make an obscene speech at a school-sponsored event.

Bethel School District #43 v. Fraser, 478 U.S. 675 (1986).

• Of students to advocate illegal drug use at a school-sponsored event.

Morse v. Frederick, __ U.S. __ (2007).

And the U.S. Constitution, and the way it's been applied by courts, includes some more exceptions. Your words and actions may not always be protected, depending on how they affect others.

Obscenity Is Not Protected

Obscenity is an exception to the First Amendment, which protects freedom of speech. If you shout vulgarities from your front porch for the whole neighborhood to hear, the authorities will probably charge you with disrupting the peace, and the First Amendment won't protect you.

You Must Prove What You Say

The U.S. Constitution doesn't protect your right to freedom of speech if you tell lies about someone. Slander occurs when you say untrue things to others. Libel, by comparison, occurs when you make untrue statements in print or by broadcast. Slander and libel are not protected by the First Amendment.

You Can't Hurt People or Incite Trouble

In 1942, the U.S. Supreme Court added "incitement" to the list of things not covered by freedom of speech. "Fighting words" are against the law and not protected. You can't abuse someone verbally, or use words to rile a crowd into doing something illegal. Law enforcement can criminally charge you for your conduct

Sometimes the Lines Blur

Behavior aimed at a general group is protected by the First Amendment. You can declare a dislike for a whole race of people, or for everyone of a certain religion or sexual preference, and you'd be within your rights. But there's a fine line that you can't cross. If what you've said causes someone else to act out against these people or hurt them, you've incited them. If you make hateful comments to someone else, one on one, based on that person's religion, sex or race, these are fighting words and not protected.

I'm thinking anything that is a direct threat toward someone, or include words that make people or organizations spend time and money and/or other resources (financial or other harm) they otherwise would not have needed to do would not be protected either.  Folks need to be a little more considerate and then won't have to worry about the FBI knocking on their door.

It determines if the speech falls into these categories below, where it is specifically not protected speech-

Freedom of speech does not include the right:

• To incite actions that would harm others (e.g., “hout[ing] ‘fire’ in a crowded theater.”).

Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919).

• To make or distribute obscene materials.

Roth v. United States, 354 U.S. 476 (1957).

• To burn draft cards as an anti-war protest.

United States v. O’Brien, 391 U.S. 367 (1968).

• To permit students to print articles in a school newspaper over the objections of the school administration.

Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, 484 U.S. 260 (1988).

• Of students to make an obscene speech at a school-sponsored event.

Bethel School District #43 v. Fraser, 478 U.S. 675 (1986).

• Of students to advocate illegal drug use at a school-sponsored event.

Morse v. Frederick, __ U.S. __ (2007).

Cut for brevity

Some interesting stuff there, thanks for posting. It is often a misconception that freedom of speech entitles you to say anything which is not the case (both in the US and the UK). As with most of above the rider is if what you say is criminal or not which is fair enough IMO. 

Still, a tricky subject sometimes. However in this specific case a large number of those tweets crossed the legal line for me. That and they're attacking the daughter of the coach.. I mean really??? What is wrong with some people.