Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

takes from the game

ColtsFanMikeC

Offense:

1) T-Rich and Bradshaw both looked good to me -- Bradshaw rushed for 7.1 yrds/carry and T-Rich for 4.7.  Both had some contact in backfield to deal with and still got positive yards

2) We got away with some bad mistakes (e.g., Bradshaw picking up the fumble on a broken hand-off one of his rushes and gaining about 7 yards off it, and Luck getting away with 2-3 picks) -- it's hard to complain when none of the bad stuff happened, but the play Luck tried to throw it away with an underarm from the ground was a pretty dumb throw (again, hard to complain him when I know he's coached to avoid taking sacks, but in that case taking a sack could have been better than throwing it away wildly towards the middle of the field).

3) Our o-line played OK, but Luck still was getting pressured quite a bit and our RB's had to make some of the plays they made on their own.

4) Our TE's played very well (didn't see much of Doyle), but Allen tonight showed me that he is a stud, both with blocking and receiving -- Fleener played very well and took advantage of some mismatches he was presented with.

5) Nice to see Luck has options -- again he hit 9 receivers, 3 of which had 70 or more yards -- nobody 'lit it up', but it's nice to know we can throw for over 350 yards without having a 100 yard receiver.

6) Reggie back is big - he adds a whole different dimension to this offense.  It was great to see that TD from him. 

7) They seemed to game plan for TY, and he still made some plays.  That TD is a perfect reason why his route running needs to improve (he just used straight speed against DRC and was covered perfectly and could have been an interception), but it was still a great play by TY and that was pretty awesome.

8) I think this is the best game we have seen from Nicks.  He dropped that 3rd down play early in the game, but we utilized him differently than we have al season and he had a few nice catches for some critical yards.

Offensive takeaway:  I am glad to hear Luck say after the game that he thought it was sloppy, we have some things to fix.  Overall, it was a solid performance, but we have to get Luck better protection and reduce some slop if we want to beat a team like NE or make a deep run to the playoffs.  Good to see us able to put up those numbers (yards/points/time of possession) when we're not at our best.

Defense:

1) Kerr played very well, best game I've seen out of him.

2) Newsome also played well, we did a good job of mixing him and Studebaker into the rotation -- we didn't really put Newsome into any coverage or edge-setting situations where he could be vulnerable and Studebaker didn't do anything spectacular but he did his job well.  Good to see Newsome is becoming a very solid pass rusher.

3) Mike Adams and Sergio Brown really impressed me tonight.  Adams made a few very good open field tackles, and even on the TD he got beat on he was in good coverage.  Brown had a couple of very nice plays on pass D.

4) Vontae was a stud again -- they tried to go at him, I counted 3-4 receptions but he was tackling the WR as he was catching it on all of them and none of them were anything he could do.  He totally shut them down anytime they tried to do something big against him.

5) Great to see Chapman cause that fumble, he (IMO) has been underrated this season, in large part because we've mostly been playing with the lead and he doesn't get to see the field or show his skill set when he is on the field if it's a passing situation. 

6) I thought our LB's played very well for the most part -- other than the drive where Williams had the big screen pass yards and rushing TD they did well in coverage, blitzing, and they didn't let much else get by them. The few plays where D'Qwell was missing I thought Andrew Jackson and Muamba did well.

Defensive Takeaway: Still some room to improve, some of the yards the Gmen put up were when we had a lot of backups in and we had a few plays where our tackling was suspect, but overall, I think it was a good performance.  I think the coaches and D will be able to correct the mistakes we did make and keep themselves humble, but there isn't much to complain about here -- no, they weren't perfect but they were very good.

Special Teams:

1) Vinatieri hit a couple 40+ yard field goals and continues to look very good.

2) McAffee had another quiet but spectacular game -- his punting was great and his kickoffs were also very good.  Very nice to be confident about field position battles with him on our team.

3) Dewey McDonald seemed to be all over the place down the field tonight and made one very nice tackle near the sideline.

4) Other than the fumble (which we recovered), that was the most dynamic game I've seen from Griff as a return man all season -- it seemed like we were getting some good room for him on punt returns. I hope we can keep this up.

Special teams takeaway:  I think we have the best P/K combo in the league.  I don't think we have much to worry about on special teams as our coverage units have been very good and we've been doing a pretty good job winning field position battles.

Overall takeaway:  We still have room to improve, I am glad we are going to the bye week before we face NE, but this was a big positive. Very good game tonight, but not perfect and I think all of the players and coaches know that.  I am (and have been) very pleased/impressed with how our coaches and players bounce back from adversity.  Our gameplan was sound and we (for the most part) executed very well.  There is a lot of fight in this team and a lot of camaraderie.  Very nice to see a big win on national TV after what we saw last week.   We are in a good spot in the AFC South and we're right back in the mix with the entire AFC.  Seems like we came out healthy and if we can heal up some of the minor injuries and get some players back to full health after the bye week, I think there is a lot to be excited about for the next 7 games.

I just got back from the game.  It was pretty fun to watch.  Stands were half-empty by the end of the third quarter.  By the end of the fourth quarter there were probably 4 Colts fans around where I was sitting for every Giants fan.

Took this at the end of the 3rd quarter, or thereabouts:

IMG_0110_zpscddf9ae1.jpg

Here's the best shot to show the view where I was sitting (I got lucky, all but one touchdown, and all the Colts touchdowns, were at this end of the field):

IMG_0108_zps9b451f3d.jpg

I just got back from the game.  It was pretty fun to watch.  Stands were half-empty by the end of the third quarter.  By the end of the fourth quarter there were probably 4 Colts fans around where I was sitting for every Giants fan.

I grew up in NJ and have gotten to see the Colts play the G-men once in the old Giants stadium and the Jets this pre-season at MetLife -- I think they've got some good fans out there -- I'm kinda jealous of you for being able to go to tonight's game live and am glad to hear the Colts' faithful stuck around.  Must be hard to root for either of the teams that share that stadium this year.

Excellent post.  

Offense -

1.  They both did well, but Bradshaw just looks so much more explosive than T-Rich.  T-Rich just looks slow to me and would do well to lose a few pounds.  Can't really complain though, he looks better than last year.

2. Having watched Luck his whole career at Stanford and the 2+ years here, he is always trying to make a play, even when he shouldn't.  He is one of the most competitive dudes on the planet.

3. I believe sloppy is due to a below average offensive line.  Luck is certainly special and I doubt there is a QB out there who could do what he does behind this offensive line.  I watched the Broncos and Pats yesterday and I was awed by the amount of time Tom Brady had in the pocket.  When the time ever arrives where the Colts can protect Luck like that, there are some major records that are going to be broken and multiple SB wins. 

4. Allen is a stud, but Fleener still looks soft to me and I am a Fleener fan.

6. Love Reggie, glad to see him score a TD also.

8. I think going forward, Nicks will prove to be a great signing.

Defense - 

3. Brown and Adams played very well.  Was extremely impressed with Brown.

4.  VD is a pro bowl player, end of story.  He is as valuable to the defense as Luck is to the offense.

Special Teams -

AV and PM are studs, Colts are lucky to have them.

I don't care for Griff though, he is way too slow for my taste.  I like him as a 5th WR, but he never gives you the hope that he can return one to the house. 

I grew up in NJ and have gotten to see the Colts play the G-men once in the old Giants stadium and the Jets this pre-season at MetLife -- I think they've got some good fans out there -- I'm kinda jealous of you for being able to go to tonight's game live and am glad to hear the Colts' faithful stuck around.  Must be hard to root for either of the teams that share that stadium this year.

I was at the Jets game in 2012.  It was kinda brutal.

Excellent post.  

Offense -

1.  They both did well, but Bradshaw just looks so much more explosive than T-Rich.  T-Rich just looks slow to me and would do well to lose a few pounds.  Can't really complain though, he looks better than last year.

2. Having watched Luck his whole career at Stanford and the 2+ years here, he is always trying to make a play, even when he shouldn't.  He is one of the most competitive dudes on the planet.

3. I believe sloppy is due to a below average offensive line.  Luck is certainly special and I doubt there is a QB out there who could do what he does behind this offensive line.  I watched the Broncos and Pats yesterday and I was awed by the amount of time Tom Brady had in the pocket.  When the time ever arrives where the Colts can protect Luck like that, there are some major records that are going to be broken and multiple SB wins. 

Defense - 

4.  VD is a pro bowl player, end of story.  He is as valuable to the defense as Luck is to the offense.

Special Teams -

I don't care for Griff though, he is way too slow for my taste.  I like him as a 5th WR, but he never gives you the hope that he can return one to the house. 

Many RBs in the league would have rushed for ~2 yards/carry tonight if they were faced with some of what T-Rich was faced with (IMO) -- he looks slow at times, but he's definitely playing better than last year and I think he is actually deceptively fast -- Bradshaw obviously seems to run harder, but T-Rich is doing very well, IMO.

As for Griff, I agree.  He had some decent returns tonight, I still don't think he has that 'take it to the house' capability, but outside of that fumble, he did make some decent returns to give us good field position (I think a lot of this has to do with the blocking and maybe some due to poor NYG special teams play, but he did make some decent returns and I thought he was better than he usually is).

Excellent post.  

Offense -

Defense - 

Special Teams -

I am with you the lanes are there for some big returns if we had some speed. We would have the best special teams in the league wouldn't be close. Pat and Adam get it done and our coverage is good. We just have no threat in the return game.

2) Newsome also played well, we did a good job of mixing him and Studebaker into the rotation -- we didn't really put Newsome into any coverage or edge-setting situations where he could be vulnerable and Studebaker didn't do anything spectacular but he did his job well.  Good to see Newsome is becoming a very solid pass rusher.

I came on to make a post about Newsome's performance, but I'll just jump in here.

Some stats for Newsome that I grabbed from colts.com: 7 tackles, 5 solo, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 2 tackles for loss, and another hit on the quarterback.

Really glad to see him playing so well.

One thing I noticed is that Odell Beckham Jr is going to be one of the top 5 receivers..and I noticed that Eli kept throwing in Vontae's direction to Randle. Beckham, when he got thrown to caught early everything..the other Giant receivers totally are a waste of space...

On the Cols side...I love Studebaker...he just makes plays, be it on De, and also ST...He hits like a truck! Glad to see him getting more time on Defense

Defense - 

Special Teams -

3. I think even without protection Luck will break records, and is on pace to do so.

4. Allen is great both as a receiver and a blocker. I have a problem when people cal coby soft especially when he had a darn good game last night.

8. Nicks get lost in the mix. The signing will help, but ultimately Moncrief will be more productive.

Defensively

3. Sergio's level of play is most unexpected, but appreciated... and I hope he stays as a starter while Landry's days are numbered here in Indy. Adams I'm not that big a fan of so far.

4. VD is great. I hope we can say opposing teams got a bad case of VD every time they play us from now on.

Griff is slow as molasses, but I'd rather see him back there than T.Y., or of the other receivers. 

The thing that might work for us with Nicks is that given his performance/numbers so far this year he will not be able to demand much on the FA market and we could have a shot at bringing him back for fairly cheap.  There was a debate a few weeks ago about whether we should bring him back or not -- I think he is a very good 3 WR and an excellent #4 WR. I agree, Moncrief has a higher ceiling and will most likely be more productive when all's said and done, but I do think Nicks still has potential and he is still  young (26), so as he continues to stay healthy and get more reps in this offense, I expect him to continue to improve and make some key plays in this offense. 

8. Nicks get lost in the mix. The signing will help, but ultimately Moncrief will be more productive.

The thing that might work for us with Nicks is that given his performance/numbers so far this year he will not be able to demand much on the FA market and we could have a shot at bringing him back for fairly cheap.  There was a debate a few weeks ago about whether we should bring him back or not -- I think he is a very good 3 WR and an excellent #4 WR. I agree, Moncrief has a higher ceiling and will most likely be more productive when all's said and done, but I do think Nicks still has potential and he is still  young (26), so as he continues to stay healthy and get more reps in this offense, I expect him to continue to improve and make some key plays in this offense. 

I think bringing him is helped with depth, and he could explode... but I just don't see it happening. Should he decide to comeback for a low price that would be a no brainer again. I can see a team like Carolina, or Jacksonville who will need receivers taking a shot at a player like him though, and most guys would jump at the shot to be number 2 vs. being a 20,30 yard a game player. The difference is that we offer him a chance to win a championship that the other mentioned wouldn't. 

3. I think even without protection Luck will break records, and is on pace to do so.

4. Allen is great both as a receiver and a blocker. I have a problem when people cal coby soft especially when he had a darn good game last night.

Defensively

3. Sergio's level of play is most unexpected, but appreciated... and I hope he stays as a starter while Landry's days are numbered here in Indy. Adams I'm not that big a fan of so far.

4. VD is great. I hope we can say opposing teams got a bad case of VD every time they play us from now on.

Griff is slow as molasses, but I'd rather see him back there than T.Y., or of the other receivers. 

You.may want to just spell out Vontae Davis next time. haha

I was literally just about to mention that lol

Offense:

1) T-Rich and Bradshaw both looked good to me -- Bradshaw rushed for 7.1 yrds/carry and T-Rich for 4.7.  Both had some contact in backfield to deal with and still got positive yards

2) We got away with some bad mistakes (e.g., Bradshaw picking up the fumble on a broken hand-off one of his rushes and gaining about 7 yards off it, and Luck getting away with 2-3 picks) -- it's hard to complain when none of the bad stuff happened, but the play Luck tried to throw it away with an underarm from the ground was a pretty dumb throw (again, hard to complain him when I know he's coached to avoid taking sacks, but in that case taking a sack could have been better than throwing it away wildly towards the middle of the field).

3) Our o-line played OK, but Luck still was getting pressured quite a bit and our RB's had to make some of the plays they made on their own.

4) Our TE's played very well (didn't see much of Doyle), but Allen tonight showed me that he is a stud, both with blocking and receiving -- Fleener played very well and took advantage of some mismatches he was presented with.

5) Nice to see Luck has options -- again he hit 9 receivers, 3 of which had 70 or more yards -- nobody 'lit it up', but it's nice to know we can throw for over 350 yards without having a 100 yard receiver.

6) Reggie back is big - he adds a whole different dimension to this offense.  It was great to see that TD from him. 

7) They seemed to game plan for TY, and he still made some plays.  That TD is a perfect reason why his route running needs to improve (he just used straight speed against DRC and was covered perfectly and could have been an interception), but it was still a great play by TY and that was pretty awesome.

8) I think this is the best game we have seen from Nicks.  He dropped that 3rd down play early in the game, but we utilized him differently than we have al season and he had a few nice catches for some critical yards.

Offensive takeaway:  I am glad to hear Luck say after the game that he thought it was sloppy, we have some things to fix.  Overall, it was a solid performance, but we have to get Luck better protection and reduce some slop if we want to beat a team like NE or make a deep run to the playoffs.  Good to see us able to put up those numbers (yards/points/time of possession) when we're not at our best.

Defense:

1) Kerr played very well, best game I've seen out of him.

3) Mike Adams and Sergio Brown really impressed me tonight.  Adams made a few very good open field tackles, and even on the TD he got beat on he was in good coverage.  Brown had a couple of very nice plays on pass D.

4) Vontae was a stud again -- they tried to go at him, I counted 3-4 receptions but he was tackling the WR as he was catching it on all of them and none of them were anything he could do.  He totally shut them down anytime they tried to do something big against him.

5) Great to see Chapman cause that fumble, he (IMO) has been underrated this season, in large part because we've mostly been playing with the lead and he doesn't get to see the field or show his skill set when he is on the field if it's a passing situation. 

6) I thought our LB's played very well for the most part -- other than the drive where Williams had the big screen pass yards and rushing TD they did well in coverage, blitzing, and they didn't let much else get by them. The few plays where D'Qwell was missing I thought Andrew Jackson and Muamba did well.

Defensive Takeaway: Still some room to improve, some of the yards the Gmen put up were when we had a lot of backups in and we had a few plays where our tackling was suspect, but overall, I think it was a good performance.  I think the coaches and D will be able to correct the mistakes we did make and keep themselves humble, but there isn't much to complain about here -- no, they weren't perfect but they were very good.

Special Teams:

1) Vinatieri hit a couple 40+ yard field goals and continues to look very good.

2) McAffee had another quiet but spectacular game -- his punting was great and his kickoffs were also very good.  Very nice to be confident about field position battles with him on our team.

3) Dewey McDonald seemed to be all over the place down the field tonight and made one very nice tackle near the sideline.

4) Other than the fumble (which we recovered), that was the most dynamic game I've seen from Griff as a return man all season -- it seemed like we were getting some good room for him on punt returns. I hope we can keep this up.

Special teams takeaway:  I think we have the best P/K combo in the league.  I don't think we have much to worry about on special teams as our coverage units have been very good and we've been doing a pretty good job winning field position battles.

Overall takeaway:  We still have room to improve, I am glad we are going to the bye week before we face NE, but this was a big positive. Very good game tonight, but not perfect and I think all of the players and coaches know that.  I am (and have been) very pleased/impressed with how our coaches and players bounce back from adversity.  Our gameplan was sound and we (for the most part) executed very well.  There is a lot of fight in this team and a lot of camaraderie.  Very nice to see a big win on national TV after what we saw last week.   We are in a good spot in the AFC South and we're right back in the mix with the entire AFC.  Seems like we came out healthy and if we can heal up some of the minor injuries and get some players back to full health after the bye week, I think there is a lot to be excited about for the next 7 games.

Great analysis and "feel" for the game here. Take out several "bad decisions" and over throws, under throws by Luck and it was an elite QB performance. Those couple plays a game are the only thing that's really holding him back. He always comes back and makes you say "wow" with a non-human pinpoint accurate throw on the run to make up for them. Hope they prepare well and execute against the Patriots 

whats to explain? I am assuming you saw the game

you mean the game where Fleener had 4 catches for 77 yards and a TD?  the 4 catches being tied for most catches among colt receivers and the 77 yards led the colts in receiving yards.  That game?

Lance Louis was garbage in Chicago, and now surprise, he’s garbage here. I was never a fan of this signing, and I’m not sure what the O-Line coach (or whoever made the * decision to start him) sees in him. I don’t know what Thornton did, but if you are going to bench him, put Mewhort in at RG, and Reitz in at LG. Not that hard to figure out.

Newsome!! Let the kid play some more. Even when Walden comes back. Keep these guys fresh and rotate them in and out like our entire D-Line.

Vontae: Keep preparing for Brady!!! Man Davis is such a stud.

Beastshaw runs so violently. I love it. I would’ve liked to see more draws, and running in general, but can’t complain about the game plan too much (besides letting that turn style Louis play RG) PLus Bradshaw saved us on that fumbled handoff to Allen. Excellent heads up play.

I loved that Pep actually rolled Luck out a few times since Luck is awesome throwing on the run. Keep it up.

Speaking of Luck: How awesome was that when he ran the next play in like 5 seconds to avoid the Giants challenging? Someone tell Coughlin that the flag and his wallet shouldn’t go in his socks. Plus Luck wrist flicking a pass for 20 yards as he’s falling on his face. Incredible. We need to protect that poor guy!

Gruden is in love with Luck. It's gross. 

Vontae Davis is someone you can tell enjoys life, and playing the game of football. I have never seen any as carefree as that young man. The biggest free agent pick up the Colts have made.

You mean trade. . . we traded a 2013 2nd round pick for him before the 2012 season.  But yes I agree it's the best trade Grigson has pulled off thus far.  

And the awesome thing is that even though we gave him a pretty sizeable contract in the offseason, he seems to be outplaying it at this point. 

Lance Louis was garbage in Chicago, and now surprise, he’s garbage here. I was never a fan of this signing, and I’m not sure what the O-Line coach (or whoever made the * decision to start him) sees in him. I don’t know what Thornton did, but if you are going to bench him, put Mewhort in at RG, and Reitz in at LG. Not that hard to figure out.

I think it's harder to figure out than that....

Unless you absolutely have to,  you do not want to flip-flop a lineman at the start of the game without any practice during the week.    

Your feet are completely backward -- literally.

You only make the flip-flop in case of emergency.

Reitz, or someone else would have to to RG and Mewhort would stay at LG where he's spent all his rookie year.