Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dec. 1 Is Looming

oldunclemark

I'm waiting for word from Peyton Manning if he's cleared to practice...by his doctors

We're 3 months from his surgery this week....

We can all argue (and we have) about what he should do if he's cleared.

But if he's not cleared...he wont practice or play this year and we head into the draft not knowing what we have....and our future is very unceratin

We could go from Manning being back for a few series against Houston or Jacksonville..

..to him needing a 4th surgery......and Andrew Luck looking for a condo in Hamilton County

Honestly, i dont think we are going to get much more info. I think, from the words Archie had a couple of months ago (he said that is good manning doesnt have a deadline anymore, he doesnt have to rush and knows he has untill next year), that they are really having feb as their deadline. I dont think they are going to reveal much this week.

still, i hope we get some good news.

I'm waiting for word from Peyton Manning if he's cleared to practice...by his doctors

But if he's not cleared...he wont practice or play this year and we head into the draft not knowing what we have....and our future is very unceratin

We could go from Manning being back for a few series against Houston or Jacksonville..

..to him needing a 4th surgery......and Andrew Luck looking for a condo in Hamilton County

Thanks for clearing it up for us.

The fusion should be finished next month, and I assume the FO is aware of this. He'll probably have multiple meetings with the FO before the draft and they'll ask him a bunch of questions. I wouldn't worry about the injury healing, because it will, I would worry about his motivation and passion, but even then I think that's still there.

Now about this new surgery, I'll believe it when it happens, but if it happens, he should still be ready for next year.

i hope they dont let him play this year behind this o-line, it might finish him

as was said earlier in the thread, the REAL deadline is the February checkup. If no dice by then, Peyton has asked that the Colts move on without him. His words.

I have never seen that where did you see that quote of Peyton's? Would like to read the article. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Just made an account on here. I'm a huge Colts fan and I just wanted to say hey to all of you guys!!

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

If you want to tell us a little about yourself this is the thread for new member introductions:

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/27-welcome-to-the-all-new-colts-direct-fan-community-forum/

If not that's ok too.

Hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I do.

The fusion should be finished next month, and I assume the FO is aware of this. He'll probably have multiple meetings with the FO before the draft and they'll ask him a bunch of questions. I wouldn't worry about the injury healing, because it will, I would worry about his motivation and passion, but even then I think that's still there.

Now about this new surgery, I'll believe it when it happens, but if it happens, he should still be ready for next year.

No..I think more proceedures is an absolute last resort...

I expect him to be cleared to go...and I think he's motivated to gte back out there and win a game

..so his franchsie dosent carry the 0-16 shame..

But as the hour approaches...I am worried...

This was set to be a 3-month injury.....and I thouhgt he (Manning) said that fusion should occur in the third month.

If it hasnt...we're going down another path..

waiting until February is another milestone but he wont be geared up to play..we wont really know anything.

If he is cleared to practice with the team in December....we know if he's OK...

..and that's what I want to hear....

I expect him to be cleared to go...and I think he's motivated to gte back out there and win a game

He's not going to play this year....he's just not going to.

People need to realize that he's not going to come and save this team from an 0-16 season. There is a chance -- and I would say a VERY SLIGHT chance -- he may actually practice in late December but he's not going to play. He's also not a miracle worker....even if he were to play, he'll have missed a years worth of football and played in no pre-season games so there is no guarantee that he would lead the Colts to a win at that point -- given all the other issues the team has.

He's not going to play this year....he's just not going to.

People need to realize that he's not going to come and save this team from an 0-16 season. There is a chance -- and I would say a VERY SLIGHT chance -- he may actually practice in late December but he's not going to play. He's also not a miracle worker....even if he were to play, he'll have missed a years worth of football and played in no pre-season games so there is no guarantee that he would lead the Colts to a win at that point -- given all the other issues the team has.

icf..

You've seen us.....and I have to disagree

If he plays 2 or 3 series against Jacksonville

we probably win....We have no more issues than we had a year ago...

Until he says he's through for the year....I would suggest he may be back..

..and we need him to get out there and test the old equipment (and Id guess he needs it)

He's not on IR for a reason..

We need to know the status of Peyton Manning not for the sake of getting him back on the field this season, but for the sake of establishing our game plan going into the off season. There is no way that he should play this year, even if he is cleared. That would be really stupid to risk further injury for nothing. I will be breathing a sigh of relief, however, if we find out for sure that he will be cleared to train and begin practicing in preparation for the 2012 season.

People need to stop saying that the fusion should be done by next month...they said that the ABSOLUTE BEST case scenario would be 12 weeks...but more often than not, it takes closer to 6 months for a good solid fusion to take place. And as for him wanting to play this season, sure he wants to...but realistically he wont play this season...he's not on IR because if he were, he would not be allowed to practice etc until the start of the next league year, which is after his option bonus etc.

Its very realistic to think he will be healed up and ready to go for training camp and motivated to go out and show everyone that he's still got it...its NOT realistic to think that the team will just dump him or trade him. The whole green bay thing with favre/rodgers that everyone likes to bring up...most of you must have bad memories, because green bay didnt dump brett to give rodgers a chance...they dumped him because the last couple years he wouldnt give them a straight answer about if he was going to play or retire and they got tired of him holding the team in limbo waiting for his decision every off season. Peyton is not Favre, in the respect that i seriously doubt he would ever play the whole undecided role that brett did his last few years, causing the teams hands to be tied like green bay's were.

And everyone needs to stop with the whole QB "grooming" crap. You groom a dog, you dont groom a qb...he either plays or he doesnt...and last i checked, sitting and holding a clip board and running the practice squad/2nd team offense and not getting any reps with the starters doesnt exactly "groom" anyone anyhow.

Didnt mean to rant, i just get tired of all the experts, especially in the media, acting like they "know" that Peyton is done...the fact is, if he wants to play so bad THIS season, why in the world would they think he'll just retire in the offseason, if he's healed and able to play? Its obvious to see how bad this is hurting him, not being able to play right now...he's not just gonna lose his drive and desire to play before next season.

And lastly, for everyone that thinks that Luck is the best QB to come out in 15yrs... Any decent/good QB that has the #2 rated left tackle, the #1 rated guard, a 6'8" tight end and a running game that averages over 200 yards per game will look good...until we see what he does at the next level, no one knows how good he will or wont be. And am i the only one that has any concern that he has to wear a big mechanical knee brace when he plays? Not saying that its definitely a big deal, but you have to think that he's hurt that knee bad enough at some point to warrant wearing that thing.

Surgery will heal but doesnt mean nerve will regenerate nor if it does, enough to gain muscle strength needed to throw as nerve supplies nerve nutition ( THAT IS THE NERVE INNERVATION ITSELF ) required to gain strength and without it no amount of workout will do it

He's not on IR for a reason..

He's not on IR for the sole reason of not being able to practice with the team. Players on IR are not allowed to participate in any team activities for the remainder of the season. He's not going to play in any games this year. No way the Colts risk any injury to him to win a meaningless game.

He's not on IR for the sole reason of not being able to practice with the team. Players on IR are not allowed to participate in any team activities for the remainder of the season. He's not going to play in any games this year. No way the Colts risk any injury to him to win a meaningless game.

I appreciate that rule...'P'

Bu if he practices..he plays...You know how he is...and his playing clears up any doubts for us

The big deal is whether he's cleared thus week..because that would be a very good sign.

I did NOT assume that three months was the fastest recovery possible..

I read that 3 months is the normal recovery period.

That's why I'm worried. If he is not good to at least practice after the normal recovery period...

we have to look to the draft...

Juts being cleared by February wont tell us much

MY opinion on the IR thing... In this day and age of NFL football, it's nuts to pay a guy coming off of a third neck surgery and paying him 28 million dollars at that. He isn't worth 3 bucks on IR going forward. But by doing that, your saying that he's bigger than the team (he is). The team and the fans want 18# going forward and the team (Irsay and Polian and Caldwell) has done something you'll never see again to make it happen. Still that doesn't make Peyton's health situation any more clear or certain.

He's been cleared. Cleared to make another football cops short for directtv. Guess the neck wasn't bothersome when he made that before the season. Actually you would have never thought there was a problem watching him act in that. Hmmmmm? What great timing! What pain can we tolerate for a large chuck of change! Manning should be ashamed.

He's been cleared. Cleared to make another football cops short for directtv. Guess the neck wasn't bothersome when he made that before the season. Actually you would have never thought there was a problem watching him act in that. Hmmmmm? What great timing! What pain can we tolerate for a large chuck of change! Manning should be ashamed.

Cant blame him for pullng down the cash..(the acting....there's blame there)

He's got a couple more little Mannings to feed...

I appreciate that rule...'P'

Bu if he practices..he plays...You know how he is...and his playing clears up any doubts for us

The big deal is whether he's cleared thus week..because that would be a very good sign.

I did NOT assume that three months was the fastest recovery possible..

I read that 3 months is the normal recovery period.

That's why I'm worried. If he is not good to at least practice after the normal recovery period...

we have to look to the draft...

Juts being cleared by February wont tell us much

NO, 3 months was/is NOT the usual timeline...if you have the time, look up the surgery online...it will tell you that 3 months is the BEST CASE scenario for fusion to take place, with the NORMAL timeline for a hard fusion closer to 6 months. It will tell you that NORMAL people with NORMAL jobs (sitting in an office etc) are able to return to work sooner...but not someone who gets hit like a football player. Think of it like two bones growing together, thats what a fusion actually is...the two bones have the outter layer taken off and then they grow together as they heal...you have to give them time to become solid and not risk breaking them apart...once they ARE strongly fused together, they/that area is then stronger than it was before the surgery. Disks are soft tissue, but are replaced by hard bone...thats why.

So you know he is in pain? You might want to call his doctors...

You have no clue, obviously, about those shorts and what they did so that all he had to do was stand around. He never threw a ball. Everything he did in that "commercial" was what he does every day. Stand around, talk to people, thats it.

Google is your friend...try it sometime.

NO, 3 months was/is NOT the usual timeline...if you have the time, look up the surgery online...it will tell you that 3 months is the BEST CASE scenario for fusion to take place, with the NORMAL timeline for a hard fusion closer to 6 months. It will tell you that NORMAL people with NORMAL jobs (sitting in an office etc) are able to return to work sooner...but not someone who gets hit like a football player. Think of it like two bones growing together, thats what a fusion actually is...the two bones have the outter layer taken off and then they grow together as they heal...you have to give them time to become solid and not risk breaking them apart...once they ARE strongly fused together, they/that area is then stronger than it was before the surgery. Disks are soft tissue, but are replaced by hard bone...thats why.

I see what your'e saying but he is expecting/hoping to be cleared...

He said so....

He said fusion occurs between the 2nd and 3rd month..

You do sound like you know.....but I hope that with an otherwise healthy man in the prime of life..we get the best case scenario..

WE can hope for the best because there's plenty of time to prepare for the worst

Maybe he's not on the IR because there's a good chance he will retire this year. If that's the case then PM can come in the last home game and take a snap to allow the fans to give him a proper sendoff.

He said so....

You do sound like you know.....but I hope that with an otherwise healthy man in the prime of life..we get the best case scenario..

WE can hope for the best because there's plenty of time to prepare for the worst

Right now Peyton isn't even cleared to run. He is only cleared do some very light weight lifting and the only cardio he is cleared to do is on an elliptical. If he passes this checkup he would be cleared to run and start throwing. It's still a long way from playing but it's a start.

He said so....

Sure he HOPES to be cleared, but he didnt say he "expected" to be. Also, what a lot of people dont realize is that he fusion is NOT done in 2-3 months, but thats the normal time frame for it to BEGIN to take...as in 2-3 months is when the bones BEGIN to grow together into one fused piece...thats why they say that 6 months is the normal healing time, for the fusion to be solid enough to not be at any kind of risk. And as for everyone freaking out saying that Peyton is done because "well he said that he's still having some of the same problems with the nerve..." yes, thats to be expected...the healing process requires the fusion to be further along before the nerve starts to heal.

Everyone needs to calm down, its not a fast process, but IS one that should be complete by the time it will matter (training camp).

Another thing, all of the people who are so ready to just dump the greatest QB to ever play the game, in return for a college QB who has not proved if he will even be an adequate PRO QB...well, i guess some people have short memories...but me, personally, knowing that Peyton's surgery is one that a LOT of current players have had and come back from...well, i'd MUCH rather have the QB that we KNOW can take us to the super bowl rather than a rookie who we dont know if he'll even be able to take us to the playoffs in the next 10yrs.

Also, while i'm one of the people who firmly believes that not only will Manning be back next year, but i believe that Irsay would NEVER trade or release Peyton (unless Peyton retires)...but even if we DO trade or release him, he will still count as $10mil against our cap next season, due to the pro rated bonuses that we already owe him being accelerated towards our salary cap.

But anyone who has watched Peyton over the past 13 seasons should take a minute to think to themselves...can you imagine a season in which Peyton would be as motivated and determined as he will be next year? He may be 35 going on 36 next season, but his skill have NOT been on the decline at all...and after this surgery, once recovered, he should feel better physically than he has in several seasons...i dunno about you, but i want THAT guy to be my QB for the next 4yrs, not an unproven guy from college.

No..I think more proceedures is an absolute last resort...

This was set to be a 3-month injury.....and I thouhgt he (Manning) said that fusion should occur in the third month.

If it hasnt...we're going down another path..

waiting until February is another milestone but he wont be geared up to play..we wont really know anything.

If he is cleared to practice with the team in December....we know if he's OK...

..and that's what I want to hear....

This fusion taking talk is just a deflection from the "REAL" issue... Are Manning's muscles in his throwing arm regenerating?

And if no progress is made to date, it is get really worried time.

This fusion taking talk is just a deflection from the "REAL" issue... Are Manning's muscles in his throwing arm regenerating?

And if no progress is made to date, it is get really worried time.

If you read up on the surgery a little bit, you will find that the nerve wont start to heal until after the fusion takes place...so even though he most likely is experiencing a lot of the same issues as before, it is to be expected at this point in the recovery process, and nothing to get worried about. He should be ready before training camp, but to think he would be ready now is just being misinformed (which is easy to do, considering how many * ESPN "experts" are spewing inaccurate information, in hopes of higher ratings etc)

If you read up on the surgery a little bit, you will find that the nerve wont start to heal until after the fusion takes place...so even though he most likely is experiencing a lot of the same issues as before, it is to be expected at this point in the recovery process, and nothing to get worried about. He should be ready before training camp, but to think he would be ready now is just being misinformed (which is easy to do, considering how many * ESPN "experts" are spewing inaccurate information, in hopes of higher ratings etc)

The statement in bold is not correct, unfortunately. The presence or absence of fusion has nothing to do with allowing the nerve to regenerate. Further decompression of the nerve (complete immediately during the surgery itself) allows the nerve to have a chance to further recover, assuming it was significantly compressed to begin with.

The statement in bold is not correct, unfortunately. The presence or absence of fusion has nothing to do with allowing the nerve to regenerate. Further decompression of the nerve (complete immediately during the surgery itself) allows the nerve to have a chance to further recover, assuming it was significantly compressed to begin with.

Thank you.,....