Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis - Best Corner in the NFL

BlueShoe

Fans of every team want everyone cut or benched at some point. Most fans, as demonstrated here, don't know their butt from deep center field when it comes to evaluating talent.

Except it wasn't the Dallas fans that benched him, it was the coaching staff. The coaching staff of one of the worst D's in the league talent wise, benched a player they gave up quite a bit for to move up for in the draft. I think that's a quite telling assessment of how they value his performance. 

Unless you're suggesting your evaluation of Clairborne supersedes theirs? 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans of every team want everyone cut or benched at some point. Most fans, as demonstrated here, don't know their butt from deep center field when it comes to evaluating talent.

Please go tell any Cowboys fan Morris Claibotne is better than Vontae. They will laugh you out of the room. Please go learn some more about the NFL before you try to make these arguments, the numbers bak Davis up and the numbers say he is just as good as any corner you listed, meanwhile I guarantee you can't find a single shred of evidence that Claiborne is better than Davis.

Please go tell any Cowboys fan Morris Claibotne is better than Vontae. They will laugh you out of the room. Please go learn some more about the NFL before you try to make these arguments, the numbers bak Davis up and the numbers say he is just as good as any corner you listed, meanwhile I guarantee you can't find a single shred of evidence that Claiborne is better than Davis.

Vontae Davis is a perfect example of the underachiever. He came into the NFL with huge expectations and all the physical ability one needs. Unfortunately, he has performed far below those expectaions and his physical ability. He's simply an average CB.

He loses focus and at times seems to fall asleep during a game giving up big plays. No NFL QB, or receiver is intimidated by his presence on the field.

Vontae Davis is a perfect example of the underachiever. He came into the NFL with huge expectations and all the physical ability one needs. Unfortunately, he has performed far below those expectaions and his physical ability. He's simply an average CB.

He loses focus and at times seems to fall asleep during a game giving up big plays. No NFL QB, or receiver is intimidated by his presence on the field.

Then why hasnt he seen many targets this season? Zero targets yesterday

That's his list, lol. Enough said...

Doing a good job getting people worked up though. I see right through your crap...carry on.

Nobody is worked up. Just grabbing the proverbial popcorn in case the dancing monkey does something entertaining. So far just disappointment. :(

The ball simply doesn't go his way too often. And how would you know who is intimidated by someone or not? I'm just assuming that you are close friends with many NFL quarterbacks and you guys chatty-cathy it up like little high school girls. Are you on this forum just to constantly be negative? You should all of us a favor and not log back in here, ever.

:blueshoe:

Nobody is worked up. Just grabbing the proverbial popcorn in case the dancing monkey does something entertaining. So far just disappointment. :(

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and blame it on old age cause years back I probably would of been banned by now for going off on him. Now, I just laugh and think to myself...child please.

sounds like a dolphins fan that is all butt hurt that he's playing lights out now

Yeah talent is great......Its even greater when that talent has been realized after being drafted, Claiborne has not developed and produced as quick as they wanted him to and I don't think anyone who has any idea what they are watching on film would argue that.

Davis on the other hand has allowed:

1 catch for 5 yards at 10:50 of the 1st Quarter vs Broncos

1 catch for 8 yards at 6:43 of the 3rd Quarter vs Eagles

1 catch for 9 yards at 4:14 of the 4th Quarter vs Jax

0 targets vs Titans

3 catches for 7.3 yards a catch

That's it, Does that make him elite? No that's playing at an elite level. With that said we played 2 teams who are having QB issues to put it nicely and 4 games is not enough to crown him nothing but he has went up against 2 of the best passing offenses in the NFL so he deserves a ton of credit for the results he gave up.

Vontae Davis?  The best CB in the NFL?  Really?  Good Gawd.  You folks lose any credibility you ever had with comments like that.  Why not next say that Andrew Luck is the greatest NFL QB of all time? 

:number1: Davis >>>> Sherman it' fun to poke the bear well in this case troll

Yeah he wasnt targeted yesterday at all.. but he was goin against a 2nd and 3rd string qb which are afraid of every cb on the field.. to say hes the best after goin against the jags and Tennessee which are arguably the two worst teams in the nfl is a bit premature.

They are not arguably the two worst teams in the NFL. That title belongs solely to the Raiders.

Yeah he wasnt targeted yesterday at all.. but he was goin against a 2nd and 3rd string qb which are afraid of every cb on the field.. to say hes the best after goin against the jags and Tennessee which are arguably the two worst teams in the nfl is a bit premature.

Funny when Sherman didn't get targeted he was a God among men Davis doesn't get targeted and no biggie he just average and must be bad QB's . 

:number1: Davis >>>> Sherman it' fun to poke the bear well in this case troll

Only in this case, The opposite is happening.

Also, is it common for people here to toss out the word "troll" when you disagree? I have yet to insult someone here even though you folks have been doing your best at provoking an insult.

They are not arguably the two worst teams in the NFL. That title belongs solely to the Raiders.

Jacksonville is bad on both sides of the ball. The Titans are a bad team on both sides of the ball. They are both down there with the Raiders. Actually they are worse. The Raiders do have some talent. They are perhaps the worst coached team in the NFL.

The ball simply doesn't go his way too often. And how would you know who is intimidated by someone or not? I'm just assuming that you are close friends with many NFL quarterbacks and you guys chatty-cathy it up like little high school girls. Are you on this forum just to constantly be negative? You should all of us a favor and not log back in here, ever.

:blueshoe:

Why must you be so negative?

Also, is it common for people here to toss out the word "troll" when you disagree? I have yet to insult someone here even though you folks have been doing your best at provoking an insult.

You're insulting us by not backing up your wrong opinion with any "facts" or analysis. You're plain and simple a troll.

You've also yet to substantiate any of your opinions or address anyone who has substantiated contrary opinion. Trolling aside it could be considered somewhat obnoxious by other posters.

Sure he had those faults last year, but can you honestly say that he has had those faults this season? He was still above average last season with these faults. Do you think Grigson is crazy to give Davis the contract he did? And yes QB's are starting to be intimidated by him, he wasn't thrown at once the entire game on Sunday, that's respect right there

Also, is it common for people here to toss out the word "troll" when you disagree? 

Please.

I gave you statistical analysis to support Davis' inclusion among the top corners in the league. You countered with "no one ranked him among the top corners in the league before the season started." 

Disagreeing doesn't make anyone a troll. Refusing to support your claims, that's a different story.

@KBowenColts: Pagano on Vontae Davis: “They went straight Richard Sherman on him yesterday.” Aka the Titans didn’t want to throw at Davis.

@PaulKuharskyNFL: Per @PFF, Whitehurst threw 0 passes outside the numbers on the left. A defense that may face him will be aware of that. #Titans

Aka Vontae's side

Please.

I gave you statistical analysis to support Davis' inclusion among the top corners in the league. You countered with "no one ranked him among the top corners in the league before the season started." 

Disagreeing doesn't make anyone a troll. Refusing to support your claims, that's a different story.

And his statistical history demonstrates that he is quite average.

And his statistical history demonstrates that he is quite average.

@KBowenColts: Pagano on Vontae Davis: “They went straight Richard Sherman on him yesterday.” Aka the Titans didn’t want to throw at Davis.

@PaulKuharskyNFL: Per @PFF, Whitehurst threw 0 passes outside the numbers on the left. A defense that may face him will be aware of that. #Titans

Aka Vontae's side

So average the QB was afraid to throw at him  lmao

Funny when Sherman didn't get targeted he was a God among men Davis doesn't get targeted and no biggie he just average and must be bad QB's .

To say that Tennessees and jags qbs are bad is a legit reason.. no where in my post was i in disagreement with sayin that vontae has played elite.. all i said was it is a bit premature to claim him the best. Based on the two god awful qbs we have faced the past two weeks. And if you really think henne and bortles and whitehurst are good qbs then the more power to you.. you can have th em on your team

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, September 29, 2014 - Duplicate post
Hidden by SteelCityColt, September 29, 2014 - Duplicate post

Funny when Sherman didn't get targeted he was a God among men Davis doesn't get targeted and no biggie he just average and must be bad QB's .

To say that Tennessees and jags qbs are bad is a legit reason.. no where in my post was i in disagreement with sayin that vontae has played elite.. all i said was it is a bit premature to claim him the best. Based on the two god awful qbs we have faced the past two weeks. And if you really think henne and bortles and whitehurst are good qbs then the more power to you.. you can have th em on your team

he played great against the eagles and broncos as well

The point was that when you are rarely targeted, it's because you've covering your guy well enough that the QB can't throw his way.  Sometimes the QB might miss it, but he's played well against good QBs and teams also.  I mean sure, it doesn't carry nearly as much weight having no football thrown your way when ti's a mediocre or bad QB.  It's still impressive nonetheless.  If anything, it means he's earning every penny of his salary when you're shutting down guys like Demaryus Thomas.  People can say whatever they want about Davis, he's been an elite CB for at least the past 4 games.

The point was that when you are rarely targeted, it's because you've covering your guy well enough that the QB can't throw his way. Sometimes the QB might miss it, but he's played well against good QBs and teams also. I mean sure, it doesn't carry nearly as much weight having no football thrown your way when ti's a mediocre or bad QB. It's still impressive nonetheless. If anything, it means he's earning every penny of his salary when you're shutting down guys like Demaryus Thomas. People can say whatever they want about Davis, he's been an elite CB for at least the past 4 games.

Once again i never disagreed with anyone that said hes been playing elite. Im just sayin 2 of the 4 teams that he has played elite against are in the bottom 5 of the league and both teams have started two different qbs so far. So its a bit premature to claim him the best. Lets not get ahead of ourselves is all im sayin