Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings suspend Peterson, place him on exempt list

Jules

We should be aware of what we are becoming

I saw Wall-E with my daughter some years ago and I still make mention of that imagery. It led to a discussion where I told her about the first TV remotes being tethered to the unit by way of a long wire. She acted as if I was describing what the pioneers used to watch TV in the 1800's. 

Your point is valid. People sit on their fat, lazy butts and cast severe judgements at others without knowing all the facts, without regard to how we would want to be treated if we ever made a serious mistake. There's a noteworthy disconnection to be pointed out here. 

Lol, Wall-E? Really? They became lazy and fat because they were judgemental? Personally I think it was because they just weren't paying attention.

The subtext of Nadine's posting infers how easy it is to reckon severe judgement upon other people due to a disconnect caused by the distractions of our time. i.e. It's easy to say "Throw that piece of garbage in prison and never let him play in the NFL again".....when we're talking about some guy named Adrian Peterson. People tend to demonstrate a noticeably less contentious opinion when we remove the disconnect and have them give opinions of a loved one. 

Much of this is coming from this age of instant information and communication. It creates a disconnect with our reality, and the reality is, if you live in Indiana (more notably due to this case, Texas), schools are allowed to beat your child with a stick until he/she has welts for whatever reason they wish. 

OK, junior lawyers; tell me what this means, exactly, in relation to the Peterson case; Texas Family Code regarding child abuse;

(the applicable lines) (1) "Abuse" includes the following acts or omissions by a person:

(A) mental or emotional injury to a child that results in an observable and material impairment in the child's growth, development, or psychological functioning;

(C ) physical injury that results in substantial harm to the child, or the genuine threat of substantial harm from physical injury to the child, including an injury that is at variance with the history or explanation given and excluding an accident or reasonable discipline by a parent, guardian, or managing or possessory conservator that does not expose the child to a substantial risk of harm;

"Substantial harm" and "reasonable" are the only words in Texas family code that pertains to this case. 

If you want to see legal semantics at it's finest, just wait until this thing hits the courts. 

Outrage is fine, demanding the crowds be satisfied immediately is not how I would like to see in our country run.

I believe there are other countries for this.

Your not seeing the parallels is perhaps something you should spend some time considering.  Public opinion can cause unfair damage.  Mobs need to own the negative consequences of what they do.  Every single individual takes responsibility for the destruction it so passionately seeks.

If you want to wield the power to damage, to possibly not fairly consider matters but instead to focus on damage then you need to take responsibility for it.

People love to outraged, they love it here on these boards.  People love to feel morally superior.  And I think this is about that far more than it is about caring for children.

I find it nonproductive and dangerous.  And branding anyone who disagrees with the mob as not caring enough about child abuse is just more dirty tactic.  Doesn't matter if that's what I actually said does it?

I think you are painting with a broad stroke here. Not everyone who is outraged over this is doing it from a place of self righteousness or a mob mentality. I would hope that you would not let a few posters here make you think that as that would be naïve. The folks in MN are the ones speaking the loudest here. The fans, the governor. They are the ones paying for the product on the field and APs salary. They have every right to demand that their team not be identified with an indicted child abuser. Again, actions have consequences. APs life as he knew it was over the moment he beat his child and the mom took the child to the doctor who found the discipline to be abusive.

Now, in terms of the individual. We all have to look at ourselves and our motives everyday with everything. Who knows what people's motives really are and it is a dangerous game to play to suggest that you do. The fact is, deplorable actions bring up a ground swell of reactions, some of which are ugly. AP has been a lightning rod of discussion which is actually a good thing. I really don't see the unfair treatment of AP from the public even if their motives are not what you think they should be. He committed a heinous act and with that comes severe consequences. 

I saw Wall-E with my daughter some years ago and I still make mention of that imagery. It led to a discussion where I told her about the first TV remotes being tethered to the unit by way of a long wire. She acted as if I was describing what the pioneers used to watch TV in the 1800's. 

Your point is valid. People sit on their fat, lazy butts and cast severe judgements at others without knowing all the facts, without regard to how we would want to be treated if we ever made a serious mistake. There's a noteworthy disconnection to be pointed out here. 

dystopian has become my favorite genre in books.  I don't know why, perhaps I need constant cautionary tales

Anyway, I've been looking for that move, I'd like to rewatch

LOL about the tethered remote.  How about when we had to get out of our seats to change the channel.....and there were only 4 channels?

I frequently look at the bills I pay for internet, cable, and cell phone........things that didn't used to exist and wonder what has become of me.

And I do know people who are melded to their cell phones like something out of a Dean Koontz novel.....hmm, he's the king of paranoia so maybe that's a problem for me

Then again, just because you are paranoid......you know.

I think you are painting with a broad stroke here. Not everyone who is outraged over this is doing it from a place of self righteousness or a mob mentality. I would hope that you would not let a few posters here make you think that as that would be naïve. The folks in MN are the ones speaking the loudest here. The fans, the governor. They are the ones paying for the product on the field and APs salary. They have every right to demand that their team not be identified with an indicted child abuser. Again, actions have consequences. APs life as he knew it was over the moment he beat his child and the mom took the child to the doctor who found the discipline to be abusive.

Now, in terms of the individual. We all have to look at ourselves and our motives everyday with everything. Who knows what people's motives really are and it is a dangerous game to play to suggest that you do. The fact is, deplorable actions bring up a ground swell of reactions, some of which are ugly. AP has been a lightning rod of discussion which is actually a good thing. I really don't see the unfair treatment of AP from the public even if their motives are not what you think they should be. He committed a heinous act and with that comes severe consequences. 

It gives me the creeps when politicians weigh in on NFL issues.  

Television and ticket sales pays for most of the NFL as far as I'm aware.  Anyway, it's not equivalent to being a taxpayer in terms of accountability

I don't know what people's motivations are........what I do is question them and I think they should too.

It's symptomatic of our society. I've never heard so many jokes made at the expense of the NFL. I've never seen the NFL's credibility attacked in such a way. Not over a cheating scandal. Not over illegal practices, fixing games, rigged refereeing, nor under-the-table dealings. The NFL is under attack due to a couple of knuckle-heads making very bad decisions and not being immediately and permanently fired for it.

We hold others to a level of scrutiny that we ourselves would never want to endure. 

Sure, but we also understand that we will have to endure it if our actions are poor. 

dystopian has become my favorite genre in books.  I don't know why, perhaps I need constant cautionary tales

Anyway, I've been looking for that move, I'd like to rewatch

It's been getting recent replay on the Disney network. 

LOL about the tethered remote.  How about when we had to get out of our seats to change the channel.....and there were only 4 channels?

She isn't ready to hear of such things. She had a hard enough time grasping the concept of being a teen and trying to get ahold of a friend, if you called and they weren't home, you had to search for them. 

It's been getting recent replay on the Disney network. 

She isn't ready to hear of such things. She had a hard enough time grasping the concept of being a teen and trying to get ahold of a friend, if you called and they weren't home, you had to search for them. 

3d1ac108829a52067f5d02df0558ecb8.jpg

Don't get me wrong.   I love the fact that my 5 yr. old grandaughter gets her mom's IPhone and sends me messages  ;)    but I miss the days when kids occupied their time with playing outdoors, and doing things other than being glued to the computer or TV or video games... etc..

It's symptomatic of our society. I've never heard so many jokes made at the expense of the NFL. I've never seen the NFL's credibility attacked in such a way. Not over a cheating scandal. Not over illegal practices, fixing games, rigged refereeing, nor under-the-table dealings. The NFL is under attack due to a couple of knuckle-heads making very bad decisions and not being immediately and permanently fired for it.

We hold others to a level of scrutiny that we ourselves would never want to endure. 

Actually the NFL is under attack for

A. Not having a policy in place for knuckleheads acting in that fashion

B. Speedily creating an inappropriately lenient policy

C. Hastily applying that lenient policy

D. Misapplying  a correction to a sentencing based upon that lenient policy

E. Not searching out all evidence before applying that policy (Ray Rice lawyer has that video, part of pretrial discovery)

F. Denying supposed 'new evidence' was in custody, and or not seen by upper officials before applying league policy

G*  Protecting their own self interests by keeping star players in the games with no penalties until all judicial avenues have been exhausted.

MLB is already on the ball and coveneing committees to get out in front of this and develop good domestic abuse policy, so they don't go through this as well.  We'll see if NHL, NBA, etc.. follow suit anytime soon.

Actually the NFL is under attack for

A. Not having a policy in place for knuckleheads acting in that fashion

B. Speedily creating an inappropriately lenient policy

C. Hastily applying that lenient policy

D. Misapplying  a correction to a sentencing based upon that lenient policy

E. Not searching out all evidence before applying that policy (Ray Rice lawyer has that video, part of pretrial discovery)

F. Denying supposed 'new evidence' was in custody, and or not seen by upper officials before applying league policy

G*  Protecting their own self interests by keeping star players in the games with no penalties until all judicial avenues have been exhausted.

Help me out on this people. Am I the only one that reads this list above and thinks "Law Enforcement", not "entertainment industry"?

When did an employer become our faux justice system? I tell ya what right now, if Ray rice had been sent to prison like he should've been, the NFL doesn't have to be the entity dispatching the only justice to Rice. 

If Peterson is thrown in jail, then the NFL doesn't have to be the sole party punishing him. 

Do your damned job, law enforcement, and stop looking to the NFL to wrangle your bad guys with penalties that these guys actually care about. Hate the NFL all you want, people. This is our failing as a society. We turn to the NFL for justice. We are sick.

3d1ac108829a52067f5d02df0558ecb8.jpg

Don't get me wrong.   I love the fact that my 5 yr. old grandaughter gets her mom's IPhone and sends me messages   ;)    but I miss the days when kids occupied their time with playing outdoors, and doing things other than being glued to the computer or TV or video games... etc..

A few years back myself and my daughter are out on a bike ride through the neighborhood. Saturday, about 1pm and it's just a beautiful 82 degree day. I turned to my kid and said "You hear that?" 

"No, I don't hear anything" she said.

"Exactly". 

Not a single soul was outside. No kids. No bikes. Nothing. 

What I don't understand about all this is why its just a suspension etc etc. To me the league would be viewed doing a greater service if they partnered with a counceling/service program that said if you completed a treatment program with community service then they will be reinstated. If a guy gets busted for marijuana why suspend him for a year? It doesn't help the league, it doesn't help the player or the team. Say send him to a treatment center (after first offense) say for 30 days <equivilent 4 games basically>and if he completes it he can be reinstated, if not he has to continue. Perhaps third time its 180 days. Add some community service in there too. Treat the problem don't just sweep it under the rug. Same situation with these domestic violence type issues. Of course if something is so horrible you have to fire the person you have that right but put them in a counseling program. Have them serve soup lines at an abuse center or do speeches at the local ymca anything but just sending them off and thinking we will just forget and that they will reform on their own...to me is just naive. I know that all of this may not completely change public perception or maybe change player behaviors but I just think this backwards attitude of acting like if the guy sits out for a few weeks suddenly he is going to change his behaviors.

As for the mob mentality...the moral outrage. I get it...I understand it...I am all for discipline...even a spanking...but a four year old having such an instrument used on them...and then done to such a degree to cause them to bleed....yeah that is some anger management issues on the father. I can't imagine going to that extreme to punish. Even if no conviction occurs just looking into it and bring charges will cause him to stop and think to what extreme he will discipline in the future hopefully. There is discipline and abuse...it can be a fine line but it seems from pictures and accounts that he went far beyond appropriate. I do agree though the mob mentality is getting dangerous. We see it in Furgeson, Ray Rice, Petterson....we see it often on political issues. Its dangerous because it doesn't make what they are asking for correct...it isn't always the loudest voice is the correct voice. Also it disturbs me that all this moral outrage now...but we have no moral outrage on violence or immorality on tv, video games, music videos, gang violence...no outrage on drug issues, running out on your kids, teenage pregnancy or a ton of other issues. We don't want to hear about religion and values etc but then we get outraged when society starts showing signs of immorality and a lack of values. Can't have it both way and if we don't start changing the home dynamics and addressing the lack of values we are instilling...we will see tons more of this and worse in years to come. (sorry done preaching) 

A few years back myself and my daughter are out on a bike ride through the neighborhood. Saturday, about 1pm and it's just a beautiful 82 degree day. I turned to my kid and said "You hear that?" 

"No, I don't hear anything" she said.

"Exactly". 

Not a single soul was outside. No kids. No bikes. Nothing. 

That is great you spend time with your kid like that....we don't do enough of this as a whole. Enjoy nature or the simple things like a bike ride or hiking or going out at night and learning the constilations....I applaud you for your efforts!!! Good to know after hearing and seeing all the poor parenting and stuff that there will be other good kids out there...sometimes I get depressed thinking of what my child will encounter later.

Help me out on this people. Am I the only one that reads this list above and thinks "Law Enforcement", not "entertainment industry"?

When did an employer become our faux justice system? I tell ya what right now, if Ray rice had been sent to prison like he should've been, the NFL doesn't have to be the entity dispatching the only justice to Rice. 

If Peterson is thrown in jail, then the NFL doesn't have to be the sole party punishing him. 

Do your damned job, law enforcement, and stop looking to the NFL to wrangle your bad guys with penalties that these guys actually care about. Hate the NFL all you want, people. This is our failing as a society. We turn to the NFL for justice. We are sick.

Well then, should every player that tests positive for illegal substances be turned over to the Law Enforcement Authorities for incarceration then?

Besides, 1st time offenders in the justice system get some leeway.  In domestic issues, if the wife doesn't want to testify, she doesn't have to which can make it more difficult to get jail time sentence.

Employers have an image to protect.  If an employee does something that can impair the Brand and its image, they can and will take action they feel necessary.  Sponsors of that brand may not like the image they are associating with if the Employee of that brand protects the offending employee.  Big brands themselves like US Bank and Nike want their image protected too.  They were involved with the Peterson/Vikings situation as this article attests-

http://www.startribune.com/local/275400961.html

I totally agree...if we did a better job as a society teaching morals and instilling values instead of screaming our heads off when someone prays somewhere or if a school disciplines a child or if tv censors some filth or crying to legalize more drugs then perhaps our prison wouldn't be so full we could actually put someone away for stuff like this....sadly we don't have the room or money to address it now...which is sad because there is no longer a dissuasion from evil.

It's not over, not by a long shot. 

It's been hidden away as best as possible for now, but this isn't over. By "this"...I mean the public and their fake outrage. I want to be clear, I have never hit my child and have always railed against misguided parents that think they need to use a weapon (implement) to harm their children into good behavior. 

Though I find Peterson's actions misguided, I do not find his actions to be something which warrants this outrage. 

Certain terms smack our ears with utter repulsion. Pedophille. Rapist. Murderer. Child abuser. What people are doing here is dangerous. Peterson used a form of discipline that I've heard pretty much everyone over the age of 50 describing as commonplace not long ago in America. What we call "child abuse" today, may well not have been just 20-30 years ago. That doesn't make it right, but it does challenge WHY we're seeing what was just discipline once upon a time be described as "child abuse". 

I remember my mother taking my dads belt to us numerous times when we'd get to fighting. I remember marks. Hard to imagine mom going to prison for this. The intent was good and the damage most certainly not permanent. 

My wife's parents used the exact same method of corporal punishment on her that Peterson is being charged as a criminal for.  

My parents where nice in that they used a wooden board.  

While I don't find these things to be particularly effective and I've no plans to use them on my kids, lets be straight up honest. . . We have still not firmly determined where the line is between abuse and punishment.  And that line keeps getting moved

Change the words from law enforcement to courts or prosecution and I would agree with you.  When you say law enforcement I think police and the police, their only job in this chain is to round people up when they have done something against the law.  After that the punishment is entirely on the prosecution and the courts.  

But I agree with you, I keep saying that the NFL's first punishment on Rice was arguably far worse then what the courts gave him.  The NFL was gonna take 3/16ths of his yearly salary.  The courts where going to put him in a free class and the incident won't even go on his record.

because they make money from the public it's ok for the public to behave irresponsibly? I get people voting with their feet. I also get people having an opinion and even being upset by this.

This goes beyond that and I see danger in people justifying a flash mob mentality. There is not a good history for mobs in this country

It is about public opinion and public impatience and public 'my way or the highway behavior"" and more than that, public fascination with celebrity and the publics enjoyment of bringing people down.

I watched a made for TV movie recently about Brittany Murphy. It's a bizarre story but one of the things that resonated with me is that the public branded her as an anorexic, a drug addict, and difficult to work with. Blogger started it......sponsors responded to it. And it ruined her career

Didn't matter to anyone whether any of it was true.

That's the world we live in today and I think it behoves all of us to expect more from ourselves.

Do you see people picketing the jobs of low profile child abusers insisting on the satisfaction of seeing the abuser fired? No, you don't

And yet most victims of child abuse are not the children of celebrities. I still see this very much about people wanting blood, because they enjoy the taste

Not saying AP is in the right. I am saying that the mobs are in the wrong,

I also see it as hypocritical......"it's not my fault, I'm righteously outraged" to me is no different than "but this is how I was raised"

Neither is acceptable to me.

I agree with you 100%. It is unfortunate and disturbing what is going on. I just heard on the radio that Gloria Allred will be having a press conference about another instance "when the NFL failed" the public (possibly another domestic violence incident from the past). How many people will be coming forward now!

I agree with you 100%. It is unfortunate and disturbing what is going on. I just heard on the radio that Gloria Allred will be having a press conference about another instance "when the NFL failed" the public (possibly another domestic violence incident from the past). How many people will be coming forward now!

Ah, failing the public is a crime now.  I am all for the NFL trying to do the right thing but this is getting to be a bit ridiculous.

The people that do these crimes are the ones the public should have an issue with.  And also themselves for all the ways they fail everyone

I guess we will see. But Texas is probably the toughest state to even get accused of child abuse as so many from the South have attested to parenting down there and the laws. For him to have been indicted IN Texas of all places, does not bode well. But he has the money to get the best representation available but it depends on the judge too. Most thought Plaxico would get off too and he got two years.

No one in NY thought that Plaxico Burress would get off. The mayor at the time, a supporter of stringent gun control laws, wanted to set an example and send a message. He would have done anything in his power to get a conviction in the Burress case.

Regarding Peterson, I don't believe he will get jail time given that he does not have a record. He may even be acquitted. I believe the grand jury initially chose not to indict him. It seems almost commonplace in Texas to discipline children this way.

I disagree with this mode of punishment but it sounds like it is used a lot in the south.

No one in NY thought that Plaxico Burress would get off. The mayor at the time, a supporter of stringent gun control laws, wanted to set an example and send a message. He would have done anything in his power to get a conviction in the Burress case.

Regarding Peterson, I don't believe he will get jail time given that he does not have a record. He may even be acquitted. I believe the grand jury initially chose not to indict him. It seems almost commonplace in Texas to discipline children this way.

I disagree with this mode of punishment but it sounds like it is used a lot in the south.

Yeah, I suppose we don't know how it will all play out. But as I said in a previous post, the fact that he was indicted in Texas on child abuse speaks volumes. Texan is a state that does believe in physical punishment as a way of discipline so the fact that he went beyond that and was indicted does not bode well. I also have a feeling that more of his kids may come forward so I am not sure about him being able to say this was a first time offense. He has already admitted that this it he way he disciplines his kids so I guess we will see. I was using Plaxico as an example as when he was first arrested, no one thought he would do jail time for shooting himself in the leg. So, I guess we will see what type of judge Peterson gets and how the state of Texas ultimately wants to be viewed. Right now, Texas is really being dragged through the mud on this and being made to look like a bunch of psychopaths as so many athletes from there have said they were disciplined the way Peterson did when they were kids.

Yeah, I suppose we don't know how it will all play out. But as I said in a previous post, the fact that he was indicted in Texas on child abuse speaks volumes. Texan is a state that does believe in physical punishment as a way of discipline so the fact that he went beyond that and was indicted does not bode well. I also have a feeling that more of his kids may come forward so I am not sure about him being able to say this was a first time offense. He has already admitted that this it he way he disciplines his kids so I guess we will see. I was using Plaxico as an example as when he was first arrested, no one thought he would do jail time for shooting himself in the leg. So, I guess we will see what type of judge Peterson gets and how the state of Texas ultimately wants to be viewed. Right now, Texas is really being dragged through the mud on this and being made to look like a bunch of psychopaths as so many athletes from there have said they were disciplined the way Peterson did when they were kids.

So much depends on locality and the personality of the prosecutor.  What one prosecutor might look at as normal child discipline another wants to bring you up on charges for.

I'd also venture to guess that if the mother had been the one using this method she wouldn't be getting charged.  

Yeah, I suppose we don't know how it will all play out. But as I said in a previous post, the fact that he was indicted in Texas on child abuse speaks volumes. Texan is a state that does believe in physical punishment as a way of discipline so the fact that he went beyond that and was indicted does not bode well. I also have a feeling that more of his kids may come forward so I am not sure about him being able to say this was a first time offense. He has already admitted that this it he way he disciplines his kids so I guess we will see. I was using Plaxico as an example as when he was first arrested, no one thought he would do jail time for shooting himself in the leg. So, I guess we will see what type of judge Peterson gets and how the state of Texas ultimately wants to be viewed. Right now, Texas is really being dragged through the mud on this and being made to look like a bunch of psychopaths as so many athletes from there have said they were disciplined the way Peterson did when they were kids.

Have you ever been to Texas? They take pride in the fact that things are done differently there

Boy, the NFL teams are on eggshells. Not sure what to do, when. All seem to just be responding to public opinion. I can't ever remember seeing so much negativity ever in the NFL. 

Because the NFL doesn't have a policy that addresses when it has been violated.  It appears the NFL has more work to do on their domestic policy.  And when done , needs to be part of the CBA. As it stands now, it is a unilaterally imposed addendum.

Have you ever been to Texas? They take pride in the fact that things are done differently there

That has been my point. In the state of Texas where they are in favor of physical discipline, they still found Peterson's actions to be abusive.

They also take pride in punishing the guilty.

For some reason, I am reminded of Louise in the movie Thelma and Louise when they are running for their lives and have to drive through Texas and Louise says, "Find another way to get to Mexico where we don't have to go through Texas." To which Thelma replies, "Why?" And Louise says, "If you shoot a man with his pants down, believe me, the last place you want to get caught is Texas."  :D

That has been my point. In the state of Texas where they are in favor of physical discipline, they still found Peterson's actions to be abusive.

They also take pride in punishing the guilty.

Indicted of inflicting injury on a child. His lawyer will plead it down. You wouldn't even need a super high end lawyer like he has If he had broken bones or the child had injuries that required a stay in the hospital he would probably be in bigger trouble legally.

So much depends on locality and the personality of the prosecutor.  What one prosecutor might look at as normal child discipline another wants to bring you up on charges for.

++++++++++++++++++++

I'd also venture to guess that if the mother had been the one using this method she wouldn't be getting charged.  

I'm all for states to determine levels to determine type of / or no prosecution.  But ,IMO, any action that causes physical harm, notably that which requires medical intervention to correct, has crossed into criminal action territory.  Now intent needs to be determined.

One persons right to throw a punch ends at another persons nose. I see no harm in an employer suspending someone with pay for a period upon indictment of a domestic abuse charge.  Police officers themselves get suspended with pay if they discharge their weapon in the arrest of attempt of an alleged criminal, until a thorough internal investigation is completed.  I know my company has a lot of policies.  And one of many I read is if you are charged (not convicted) with DUI, they have cause to let you go.  Employers do not have to wait for the judicial system to determine if an employee needs a reprimand, probation, or dismissal.

If infractions are internal within the league, let the league handle it to their bargained agreement.  But when infractions extend into the public world (spouses, children, public at large) then actions bargained between owners and players only may not pass the 'smell' test, and this is what gets called out.

The league supposedly had some outside expert craft their domestic abuse policy.  It was immediately labeled a failure in its implementation by that expert that collaborated on it after the Ray Rice re-sentencing, and the Greg Hardy, and maybe even McDonald circumstances.  The NFL having something in place that every American employee might have at their own place of employment is not only appreciated, it is likely expected.

Indicted of inflicting injury on a child. His lawyer will plead it down. You wouldn't even need a super high end lawyer like he has If he had broken bones or the child had injuries that required a stay in the hospital he would probably be in bigger trouble legally.

I think the most important thing is for him not to be alone with any of his children and for him to get help understanding how one appropriately disciplines a child.

I also wonder if we've just hit the tip of the Iceberg here.....  How many more similar cases are going to arise now..??

Jonathan Dwyer (Cardinals)  has been arrested for domestic violence.  So this makes 5 players so far..??  What a few weeks this has been in the NFL

What is "abuse" to you, exactly? 

I will call attention to the post I made above where I said "I want to be clear, I have never hit my child and have always railed against misguided parents that think they need to use a weapon (implement) to harm their children into good behavior". 

Would it surprise you much to know that here, in Indiana, our public schools are allowed to use this exact same brand of discipline on our children? Only New Jersey can say they've never really supported such punishment. Every other state did until recent decades, many still doing it. 

I don't support corporal punishment, which is what Peterson is accused of. I had marks that far FAR exceed what Peterson's child suffered, given to me by the principal of my elementary school. 

I can say, as a 42 year old man, I view what happened to me as abuse. Sanctioned, socially accepted and supported, abuse. 

Where I'm having trouble is understanding how this form of abuse is seen by people as so awful we must destroy this man for doing it, despite the fact that we send our kids to schools that have the legal right to do exactly the same thing to our kids for whatever reason they feel they need. 

I want to hear some fundamental differences between a school's implementation of corporal punishment and what Peterson did? 

Guess what, my hypocritical nation? Guess what other state allows their schools to do this? Go on, I'll wait. 

Yepper, you guessed it, Texas. Apparently hypocrisy is bigger in Texas as well. 

We even beat handicapped students;

corporal-punishment-in-primary-schools.p

severe-school-corporal-punishment-paddli

Corporal punishment does not include leaving scars and drawing blood. That is abuse no matter what you think. Did you see the pictures of APs son and the marks and blood that were shown? All over his body including defensive wounds on his hands. Why are you willing to argue or even make a debate on this issue?

Corporal punishment does not include leaving scars and drawing blood. 

Why would you say that? It did on me, and many others. You need to do some research and enlighten yourself as to exactly what school administrators have done to students in the past. the marks on Peterson's child were barely more than what I got from a stranger, my 4th grade principal. 

That is abuse no matter what you think. 

If you use a weapon to hit your kids, you are a child abuser IMO. But....that's not what the law says. That's not what Texas law says. As a matter of fact, in Texas, school administrators are allowed to hit your kids with a stick, hard. i.e. Your child's school is allowed to abuse your kids. 

Why are you willing to argue or even make a debate on this issue?

Because I'm not a robot and I see the hypocrisy here. People want to act all outraged about this, but then the fools send their kids to school the next day, seemingly unaware that state law allows for beatings. 

If you think there is some fundamental difference between what Peterson did and what schools do, you're lost. There is no reason to use a weapon to hit your child. Moreover, there is no reason why strangers at your child's school are allowed to do this, though this is typically only religious schools that do this anymore. Spare the rod, spoil the child.....corporal punishment is protected by religious freedoms and it's time we, as a society, take a stand against this draconian practice. 

http://my719moms.com/news/school-paddling-lands-child-in-er/

"Yancie was concerned about her daughter missing three days of school, so she chose paddling. But ironically enough, the girl ended up missing four days to recover from injuries sustained from the punishment."

From Anheuser Busch;

In a scathing 49-word statement, the league’s official suds maker said it is “disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season.”

“We are not yet satisfied with the league’s handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company's culture and moral code,”

Approximately 1 in 10 deaths among working age adults is directly related to alcohol. Alcohol has been correlated directly to domestic violence and child abuse/neglect. The very company spouting the pristine nature of their moral compass, manufactures one of the most insidious substances plaguing mankind. 

My sentiments exactly ruksak. It's like gun manufacturers draping themselves in freedom, liberty, & the American flag & refusing to take any responsibility for a product designed to kill when a school shooting takes place. 

Yes, I know that there are law abiding, responsible gun owners out there who handle their firearms safely. My only point was this: Gun manufacturers should not simply love profit alone & assume no responsibility for a tragedy that results using their product in the wrong hands. JMO. People can do cruel things to other people that's true, but some reasonable level of accountability & honesty is wise & prudent with both alcohol & guns. 

• 1 month later...