Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Adrian Peterson indicted on child abuse...

Sports Central1

I don't know if everyone has seen the pictures of the injuries, _but they're pretty damning. He's a 4 year old kid...there is no excuse for doing that to a kid that young and so violently. I'm not against spanking, but that type of punishment method should never be done in a way that marks are left on the child. If you're leaving marks, you're doing it violently and it's abuse.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if everyone has seen the pictures of the injuries, _but they're pretty damning. He's a 4 year old kid...there is no excuse for doing that to a kid that young and so violently. I'm not against spanking, but that type of punishment method should never be done in a way that marks are left on the child. If you're leaving marks, you're doing it violently and it's abuse.

I agree with this.   I thought someone said the child was 11....???

I agree with this. I thought someone said the child was 11....???

The sources I've read have said 4 years old. The pictures are from TMZ. I'm not posting the link because I don't know if it is against the code of conduct and honestly I just don't feel comfortable doing so. It looks like a kid who was riding a bike, hit something, flew off it and landed on some jagged rocks, and got cuts and scrapes that way. I have never been spanked so I'm not sure how the "okay" spanking is supposed to look, but I can't imagine it looks like the injuries in those pictures.

Isn't it funny how cringe rates have risen since the 50's for young men committing violent crimes?

Yes to me it's the opposite, nothing to do with this case just my view is that lack of discipline makes people more violent. Some of the most horrific stories I've heard in recent memory, are from people who had sheltered lives. Grew up in a good family, ect. You hear about stories like this on the news all the time.

I was spanked as a kid myself & I think I turned okay with no felonies on my record to speak of that includes no law infringements of any kind BTW aside from a non moving ticket violation once. I stayed parked too long in a 2 hour disability spot. The cop marked my tire & when he came back later, I had a ticket on my windshield. 

It really troubles me how tabloid TMZ journalistic amateur reporters are trying to alter the debate negatively on abuse before all the events of this incident are fully known as others have correctly stated. 

Spanking is beneficial to a young child because fear & some reasonable level of pain & discomfort can be instrumental in raising a child into a well adjusted adult. It worked wonders for me & don't confuse physical abuse with necessary discipline either thank you. JMO. 

I was spanked as a kid myself & I think I turned okay with no felonies on my record to speak of that includes no law infringements of any kind BTW aside from a non moving ticket violation once. I stayed parked too long in a 2 hour disability spot. The cop marked my tire & when he came back later, I had a ticket on my windshield.

It really troubles me how tabloid TMZ journalistic amateur reporters are trying to alter the debate negatively on abuse before all the events of this incident are fully known as others have correctly stated.

Spanking is beneficial to a young child because fear & some reasonable pain & discomfort can be instrumental in raising a child into a well adjusted adult. It worked wonders for me & don't confuse physical abuse with necessary discipline either thank you. JMO.

Idk what more information we need. Peterskn has ADMITTED to it. He's turning himself in. There are horrific pictures that support it. I've heard some of the kid's testimony, it is so sad. This wasn't discipline, it was abuse to a 4 year old defenseless child. And there's nothing to support the mother coached the kid to say what he did. She had a great relationship with AP and the injuries were found out when she took him to a regularly scheduled doctor's visit. The doctor described the injuries as "child abuse" on his report. I can't see what new information is going to come to light that can possibly make this all seem better.

Idk what more information we need. Peterskn has ADMITTED to it. He's turning himself in. There are horrific pictures that support it. I've heard some of the kid's testimony, it is so sad. This wasn't discipline, it was abuse to a 4 year old defenseless child. And there's nothing to support the mother coached the kid to say what he did. She had a great relationship with AP and the injuries were found out when she took him to a regularly scheduled doctor's visit. The doctor described the injuries as "child abuse" on his report. I can't see what new information is going to come to light that can possibly make this all seem better.

I will agree that by AP turning himself in he's admitting that he was excessive & went over the line. I just don't respect TMZ as a business. They revel in gutter glory & glorifying celebrity misfortunes. I despise everything they represent & stand for. Give me a credible news agency not that despicable cesspool of greed & human destruction thank you. 

I see parents in grocery stores with children who do not listen & the kids terrorize their parents all the time. In the 70's if I acted that way in a public place, my dad spanked me right then & there & the audience would applaud & be grateful for settling me down. And that night, I would sleep well too & not misbehave anymore either. My how times have changed. 

Can you imagine what a fuss modern mothers would raise if they listened to some old Bill Cosby comedy cassettes about child discipline today? 

"Dad, I can't sleep until I've had a good beating." In my day that line was funny because it just meant that children were to be obedient, respectful, & polite & if you stepped overboard you received a red butt not torture. 

Jules, thanks for making me laugh hysterically. You're right, I miss when NFL topics used to be about who got drafted, who got traded, who got placed on IR, who got upgraded from the practice squad to the starting active rotation, & who we should defeat next week. It's depressing having in depth discussions about alcohol abuse, drug abuse, domestic abuse, & the bruising of innocent children & women NFL players supposedly love. 

Just please don't tell me that Ike & Tina Turner are speaking at the NFL Symposium next year on spousal altercations with the lecture title: "What's Love Got To Do With It" please...

It's a 4 year old boy.

Good night man. What is going on? I knew Peterson had a bunch of kids, possibly 7 and atleast 5, but I thought he was a good guy.

Next thing you know luck is going to be caught with a prostitute that Irsay provided him in one of Irsay's houses he gives away.

Good night man. What is going on? I knew Peterson had a bunch of kids, possibly 7 and atleast 5, but I thought he was a good guy.

Next thing you know luck is going to be caught with a prostitute that Irsay provided him in one of Irsay's houses he gives away.

Only reason I'm still a fan of football is that I know there are guys like Luck, Peyton, Reggie, and hundreds of other players who are great human beings. Not everyone is some type of criminal, monster. But boy, this week sure has been depressing. The NFL was a small escape from the ugliness that occurs in the world on a daily basis. Now the NFL is the posterchild for this ugliness.

because that   above all else is what's important here.   

Got it.    woot   :scratch:

You really are failing to see what he was saying. He in no way shape or form was finding humor in the abuse of a child, it was very much a tongue in cheek jab at the deficiency of punishment from the league for the crime. It's almost as if the internet has created a culture of reading into every last word to try to find something to get riled up about.

It's absurd that smoking weed (is a crime) carries a longer punishment than what Peterson did. I'm of the opinion that Vick, Rice, and Peterson should get lifetime bans but that is just me.

Gramz you know this isn't an attack on you at all, I'm just trying to further clarify what he meant or at least how it was interpreted by me personally. People made jokes of Vick, Rice, OJ, Big Ben's crimes or accusations or whatever, but I don't think that's what happened. I could be wrong though.

I read what I could about this.  As far as I can tell Peterson may have intended to just discipline his son but his actions were beyond excessive.  No idea what the league should do...its a really difficult situation.

Also, after reading some of the other comments I wanted to clear up some misinformation: 

Corporal punishment is not particularly useful or effective in correcting "bad" behavior.  I'm a behavior therapist and I've worked with children with significant behavior problems (aggression, self-injury).  Corporal punishment really benefits the punisher more than the child.  It is quicker/easier to perform and tends to provide instant results.

Unfortunately, the downside is:

• the "instant" results are often short lived
  • it can lead to aggressive behavior in children
  • it can lead to injury rather easily (it is often misused as an outlet for parental frustration instead of a teaching tool)
  • teaching a child by hitting them defies common sense

( For those interested, I'd be happy to provide research that explains the principles behind all of this)

In some ways, its really comparable to opening a safe with dynamite rather than taking the extra time to learn and use the combination.  Teaching proper behavior and providing positive reinforcement (Catch them being good) is much more safe, effective, and provides longer lasting results.  In times where punishment is necessary, time-out or a loss of some item/privilege are far superior to striking a child. 

Also, there is no legitimate connection between the decline of corporal punishment and increases in violence/lack of discipline in society (correlation does not equal causation).

This is a sensitive area because the NFL has less business passing moral judgement on child rearing than they do on spousal abuse.

,,.but you cant hit a 4-year-old with a stick....

Hopefully the court will take care of this in the way that they failed in the Ray Rice situation..

But the NFL and Roger Goddell will be blamed for what ever he ends up doing here

A switch on the butt once or twice in response to a really dangerous event by a kid.....maybe.....but more than a dozen marks? I hope this is found to be wrong on any account. Regardless of Adrian's willingness, his proactive cooperation, etc, this is wrong.

I live with the effects of abuse on several family members. It is for life. I am very proud of the mother who took the boy to the doctor and protected him. No matter how inconvenient, or how damning to an important figure, protection of that boy is THE most important thing. The effects of a young person feeling that no one is there to protect them can be devastating.

For all the heat that Goodell is taking, I actually believe that many of the things that are now being questioned, were happening under the former commissioners watch. The difference is this commish had been out there, trying to change the face of the NFL. Hate him or not, these same events 10 years ago would have been swept under the rug.

Very true...War......Goddell was trying to balance the fact that the courts gave Ray no jail time..and his wife didnt want him suspended at all..

..and I have no doubt the 2nd video never got to Goddell...because he;d alreday talked to Ray and he believed him..

...A lot of people have come out of the woodwork who simply don't like Goddell....

I am very uneasy with sports media passing moral judgement on suspensions and fines...for society problems....how many game and how much money should you lose for beating your wife or your kid...

That's just not something the commissioner of the NFL should be dealing with..the courts dropped the so-called 'ball'

How anyone can find humor in a man being indicted for child abuse is beyond me.

Not to make light of the matter,

Indianapolis native Kurt Vonnegut Jr. who experienced tragedy and catastrophic events during W.W.II felt that laughter in the face of unthinkable events was the souls way of looking for relief, a release if you will...

Kurt once wrote-

"Well, of course, humor is an almost physiological response to fears, as I understand it. What Freud said about humor was that it is a response to frustration -- one of several."..

It's funny, black men are forever being accused of being bad fathers or absentee fathers or something of that ilk but when a successful black man is present in his child's life and disciplines him, he gets indicted. What a world we live in.

Being an abusive father does not count as being present. Just because AP thought he was doing the "right thing" doesn't make it so.

It's funny, black men are forever being accused of being bad fathers or absentee fathers or something of that ilk but when a successful black man is present in his child's life and disciplines him, he gets indicted. What a world we live in.

The man has anywhere from 5 to 7 children with almost as many women.  Last year he lost a child that he was completely unaware of before.  Is "present" really the best word to describe Peterson's parenting?