Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T-Rich Colts @ Broncos

SIXTHOBJECT

You lose the pick, but it isn't like he is making a ton of cash because he is still under his rookie contract. If things don't work out you chalk it up to a learning experience. I still don't think it was a bad move, and Trent knows he needs to prove his worth... So next we I look to see him run with reckless abandon with Bradshaw as the receiving back. Provided we don't have to play from behind then you get what we saw Sunday.

Exactly, u lose the pick. In the nfl u have to make your 1st round picks count big time. Ask bill polian if he'd like the tony ugoh 1st round pick back? That was the beginning of the end for bill.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's not like we gave up the third overall pick for him. We "drafted" him slightly higher then Addai and Brown. He still has every opportunity to outperform them both.

Yeah, it was a late 1st round pick. I know people love to hate the kid... but all that hate will only eat them alive. I think he will have a break out game within the next two weeks. It will be interesting to see the game plan against the Eagles.

I think Trent is what he is. Opposing teams don't have to game plan for him because he isn't a threat. He doesn't break big runs and he isn't consistent enough to help a team control the clock.

I would focus on Luck and forget Trent. Luck and the receivers can be dangerous, but even some of that danger is negated by Trent. Odds are if the Colts have the lead they will still be forced to pass because Trent can't pick up the first consistently. If you hand him the ball 3 times in a row more then likely you will be forced to punt which gives the opponent another chance to get back in.

Trent is a 3rd string back who was handed a starter role by Grigson, teams are not gonna be even slightly worried when he is on the field.

And it's not like we gave up the third overall pick for him. We "drafted" him slightly higher then Addai and Brown. He still has every opportunity to outperform them both.

You know what, I hope that if finally does outperform those guys. But, when you use a first round pick on a RB in this league, which is rare these days he better be a difference maker. The NFL has changed and there are very few difference makers at RB in the NFL now. So, guys that produce even better than what Richardson has are easy to find. He better start showing he's worth it and soon.

Some of you guys gotta be kidding me?  He looked a little slow because he had more patience to let holes develope instead of trying to squeeze through a tight hole that our not so perfect O-Line didn't open up.  He looked solid and alot more confident.  It's difficult to determine how he has progressed from last season because it was 1 game with him getting few touches.  Oh yeah, you people do realize we were playing the Broncos (from behind) right?  They do have a good defense.  I mean who is DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, TJ Ward, and Aqib Talib (among others)?  I havent heard anybody faulting Luck for 2 int's (as well as they shouldn't because neither was his fault), but give some credit to the defense, and just watch Trent run all over all of these defenses that are coming up!

And you know what, until he outproduces Bradshaw I wouldn't even say he's just a guy. He's a guy, who in my opinion, is getting the start and the benefit of the doubt because of his draft position but hasn't lived up to it at all. I'm not gonna go off now but I could. Ryan Grigson better hope Richardson picks it up because if he doesn't it could be his undoing.

Grigson's undoing? You must be joking? No matter how TRich turns out it has zero to do with what becomes of Grigson. Quit being so dramatic. Your not going to go off now? Exactly what does that mean? I highly doubt that too many care if you go off or not.

And you know what, until he outproduces Bradshaw I wouldn't even say he's just a guy. He's a guy, who in my opinion, is getting the start and the benefit of the doubt because of his draft position but hasn't lived up to it at all. I'm not gonna go off now but I could. Ryan Grigson better hope Richardson picks it up because if he doesn't it could be his undoing.

You think a running back is going to be the undoing of an Executive of the Year who helped turn this franchise around?  If Richardson turns out to be a swing and a miss then it's just that - a swing and a miss.  Running backs are a dime a dozen and have short careers anyway.  There will be another one right behind Richardson if he fails.

Fans are so hyperbolic.

You lose the pick, but it isn't like he is making a ton of cash because he is still under his rookie contract. If things don't work out you chalk it up to a learning experience. I still don't think it was a bad move, and Trent knows he needs to prove his worth... So next we I look to see him run with reckless abandon with Bradshaw as the receiving back. Provided we don't have to play from behind then you get what we saw Sunday.

You still don't think it was a bad move? You have taken stubborn to new heights.

You think a running back is going to be the undoing of an Executive of the Year who helped turn this franchise around?  If Richardson turns out to be a swing and a miss then it's just that - a swing and a miss.  Running backs are a dime a dozen and have short careers anyway.  There will be another one right behind Richardson if he fails.

Fans are so hyperbolic.

1st round picks are precious and when you waste them they come back to haunt you. I agree RB's are dime a dozen especially ones who are slow and don't produce more than 2.9 yards per carry. Missing on first round picks will eventually bring you down. The next first rounder that is going to feel the heat is Werner. He's the man now that Mathis is out and I sure hope he gets better.

Grigson's undoing? You must be joking? No matter how TRich turns out it has zero to do with what becomes of Grigson. Quit being so dramatic. Your not going to go off now? Exactly what does that mean? I highly doubt that too many care if you go off or not.

I'm not trying to be a bad fan or stir things up. I'm just stating my opinion. My opinion is: so far Richardson didn't look any different to me than he did last year. If he doesn't become a player who can be counted on to make plays like any 1st round pick should then this will become a problem. It may very well become a problem for Griggs. He has to hit on his 1st round picks. So far he has used 1round picks on Luck, Richardson and Werner. I liked the Werner pick at the time and he hasn't been on the field much to see how he is gonna pan out but this year is a big year for him now too. You have to hit on your first rounders in order to survive as a GM. JMO

You know what, I hope that if finally does outperform those guys. But, when you use a first round pick on a RB in this league, which is rare these days he better be a difference maker. The NFL has changed and there are very few difference makers at RB in the NFL now. So, guys that produce even better than what Richardson has are easy to find. He better start showing he's worth it and soon.

Better production on other teams, sure. I'm not sure anyone short of Shady or Barry Sanders in his prime could've been consistently productive behind this line last year. Hoping we see some growth in the interior line this year when Mewhort, Holmes, and Thornton all play together. But not betting on it.

Better production on other teams, sure. I'm not sure anyone short of Shady or Barry Sanders in his prime could've been consistently productive behind this line last year. Hoping we see some growth in the interior line this year when Mewhort, Holmes, and Thornton all play together. But not betting on it.

I got tired of arguing this excuse last year. Donald Brown- 5.3 ypc, Ahmad Bradshaw 4.5 ypc, Trent Richardson 2.9 ypc. Same line. Apples to Apples. It was Bradshaw first year with the team also. I hope Trent runs for 1400 yards this year but I don't think its going to happen. Again, I hope he does that means we're gonna have a good year.

Every RB who has played the last few yrs has looked better than TRich. Hell, Ballard faced an equally poor line his rookie year and still produced well.

I got tired of arguing this excuse last year. Donald Brown- 5.3 ypc, Ahmad Bradshaw 4.5 ypc, Trent Richardson 2.9 ypc. Same line. Apples to Apples. It was Bradshaw first year with the team also. I hope Trent runs for 1400 yards this year but I don't think its going to happen. Again, I hope he does that means we're gonna have a good year.

No- more like apples and oranges, every time T-Rich was on the field, it was usually an I formation with 8 in the box situation.

Brown ( who started to struggle later on when named the starter) was used in shotgun formations, when the defence was in their nickel formation.

in the Preseason, when in the shotgun/ pistol ( any formation but I formation), Richardson got good yards.

Sorry, I don't really agree with most posters. I thought Richardson looked similar to last season and I thought that Bradshaw looked quicker, faster, and made better cuts. I'm just being honest. I don't think Richardson has the quicks to be a great NFL back. JMO, hope I'm wrong.

That was also my observation. I just didn't see anything from Richardson at all. I thought Bradshaw looked like an NFL running back, Trent, not so much.

Every RB who has played the last few yrs has looked better than TRich. Hell, Ballard faced an equally poor line his rookie year and still produced well.

4TH and 1 on the opening drive on there 36 I thought Pagano was going to ground and pound that should tell you what they think of Richardson what a JOKE 

If you look at the numbers the Colts were poor at running no matter who had the ball. They were rated at the bottom. There was no runner who produced well because there was no line to block. It's easy to point a finger at one but maybe looking at the bigger picture you will see that the Colts as a team were poor as far as running the ball. The passing offense is what worked and Pep and Pagano are trying to solve that problem. Building the beast does not happen quickly. There are only so many players at a time that will come in and make a difference. The Colts have far and above done better than anyone could have imagined in two seasons. This crying and whining needs to stop. Instead of looking at what is right and the future of this ball club all some do is whine about things that are in progress. Grown fans need their pampers changed because their too busy crying.

I was very impressed with the effort he gave us last night.

I know he didnt get alot of looks but he sure looked better then I have ever seen him look.

Not really. AC & Mewhort with a VN pull from Thornton cleared him a nice hole. You expect he was slow getting to it, he just didn`t have anybody wrapped around his legs a yard behind the LOS.

He should be able to average 4+ ypc behind those guys i now believe, and if Holmes is what i think he is things will get better up the middle. But Thornton Must improve that is 4 sure.

I was very impressed with the effort he gave us last night.

I know he didnt get alot of looks but he sure looked better then I have ever seen him look.

Not really. AC & Mewhort with a VN pull from Thornton cleared him a nice hole. You expect he was slow getting to it, he just didn`t have anybody wrapped around his legs a yard behind the LOS.

He should be able to average 4+ ypc behind those guys i now believe, and if Holmes is what i think he is things will get better up the middle. But Thornton Must improve that is 4 sure.

I didn't see anything to make me believe Trent looked like anything but low end average, which is an improvement I guess.

3.3 ypc ain't exactly running all over a defense. Yes he didn't get many carries, but there is no guarantee that if he had gotten more carries they would have been good, he could just have easily been stuffed like he was the majority of last season.

Trent isn't a threat and the Broncos have PM and took an early lead, they had no reason not to play the pass and let Trent pick up whatever yards he could.

Luck was their goal, contain and pressure Luck, his feet and arm are the only threat. You might play a little more honest if you see Bradshaw take the field, but with an early lead that wasn't a big concern.

I look for Luck to have a ton of picks this year because he will be throwing a lot. Teams have seen Richardson and they ain't even worried about him, the guy can't break big runs and has no burst. If he was on the opposing team would you be at all worried about stopping the run ?

He was pushing the pile and almost broke a couple wide open. And thats what your oline is supposed to do. Getting hit behind the line of scrimge is not a good thing. So take your negitivity else where.

If you look at the numbers the Colts were poor at running no matter who had the ball. They were rated at the bottom. There was no runner who produced well because there was no line to block. It's easy to point a finger at one but maybe looking at the bigger picture you will see that the Colts as a team were poor as far as running the ball. The passing offense is what worked and Pep and Pagano are trying to solve that problem. Building the beast does not happen quickly. There are only so many players at a time that will come in and make a difference. The Colts have far and above done better than anyone could have imagined in two seasons. This crying and whining needs to stop. Instead of looking at what is right and the future of this ball club all some do is whine about things that are in progress. Grown fans need their pampers changed because their too busy crying.

I don't know what numbers you are talking about. I don't recall any numbers that said Ballard and brown ran the ball poorly.

Everyone knows the colts have had a poor run blocking team the last few years, but others like Ballard have managed to squeeze out some decent production....unlike Richardson....and if you can't see that, that's on you.

And if you don't want to hear people critiquing Richardson, don't open a thread about his performance.

How about this proposal... Nobody criticizes Trent until at least week 5 so he has a chance to prove himself!!  That way people aren't basing their judgment on last year.  New season new interior lineman new opportunity.  If you didn't notice the effort he was giving against the broncos, then you may be blind.  He moved kept his legs moving while in a huge pack to gain a few extra yards on several occasions.  I think the Colts need to obviously pass first (start out in a 2 minute offense) and mix in the run, then after they get then change up the strategy a little more conservative but go deep once in a while to keep the defense on their heals.

How about this proposal... Nobody criticizes Trent until at least week 5 so he has a chance to prove himself!!  That way people aren't basing their judgment on last year.  New season new interior lineman new opportunity.  If you didn't notice the effort he was giving against the broncos, then you may be blind.  He moved kept his legs moving while in a huge pack to gain a few extra yards on several occasions.  I think the Colts need to obviously pass first (start out in a 2 minute offense) and mix in the run, then after they get then change up the strategy a little more conservative but go deep once in a while to keep the defense on their heals.

Effort and keeping his legs churning under the pile was never really his problem ... dancing, not being able to improvise, and no burst/speed through the hole were his problems.  I have been one of his biggest critics and didn't see anything during the first game to change my opinion of him ... but I am willing to give him a couple more games to prove something since he did not get enough snaps to really prove anything one way or the other against Denver.

thornton was fine all game