Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mewhort Colts @ Broncos

bap1331

Wow, who woulda thought he would have made such an impact right away. Im starting to like the fact that he may disrupt Clowney from getting in the way.

What did everyone think?

IMO tackles had an AMAZING game the Interior looked awful at times, saw too much inside pressure. But hats off to Mewhort baptism by fire he showed flashes. looking forward to him building off of that.

I watched some pretty bad offensive lines yesterday, and the Colts are in better shape than many teams.  A couple of notes:

• Mewhort played with fire...yes he will make mistakes.
  • I did not see Shipley get beat once by Knighton.....who would have thought that?  Me.  :)
  • Guys slamming Thornton?  Who was running over people on the Richardson screens?  Besides Richardson?

You all are quick to judge a OL as bad.  Have you ever looked at it as...Denver had some pretty nice stunts and disguises?

Lastly.  Lets get our other pieces healthy.  We will be in the AFC Championship game....and I smell a Super Bowl visit.

Well Clowny will be more of an issue for our tackles depending on his health.

I thought Mewhort looked like a rookie with some bad plays and some nice plays. I do think the Colts have something with the screen pass with him blocking.

i watched the houston game just to see how clowny played. he did absolutely nothing and wasn't double teamed at all from what i saw. he got hurt and didn't play in the 2nd half.

agree on mewhort. it's funny how one announcer's comment (one play, good or bad, and they go overboard with their assessment of them), and that's what fans base their opinion on.

i watched the houston game just to see how clowny played. he did absolutely nothing and wasn't double teamed at all from what i saw. he got hurt and didn't play in the 2nd half.

agree on mewhort. it's funny how one announcer's comment (one play, good or bad, and they go overboard with their assessment of them), and that's what fans for their opinion on.

Not very many truly understand the Offensive Line and the intricate calls made.  Some do not get it that when playing football, everyone gets knocked on there '***' !!!!  

I posted this in another thread but it seems more appropriate here.

I'm curious why so many think the line played poorly in the 1st half and good in the second?  Is it just because the Colts put points on the board?  Because I thought it was just the opposite.  The line played well in the 1st half (AC and GC played well the entire game) but the interior was doing a great job, especially in pass protection in the first half but then when Denver started to get more creative in the 2nd half then their inexperience really started to show.

Shipley did ok, but on run blocking he really needs to learn to come off the double team and get to the 2nd level.  Watch Trich's 2nd run as an example of what I mean.  Shipley should just get the DT with an arm to prevent him from coming in the 1 gap while keeping his shoulders square to the LOS, then when the guard gets a handle on the DT then he needs to get out to the LB.  If he had done that, that run and others would have been a huge gain, instead it was a loss of one.

But overall the line played ok and yes Thornton needs to get in better shape so he doesn't wear down in the 2nd half.

I'm curious why so many think the line played poorly in the 1st half and good in the second?  Is it just because the Colts put points on the board?  Because I thought it was just the opposite.  The line played well in the 1st half (AC and GC played well the entire game) but the interior was doing a great job, especially in pass protection in the first half but then when Denver started to get more creative in the 2nd half then their inexperience really started to show.

Shipley did ok, but on run blocking he really needs to learn to come off the double team and get to the 2nd level.  Watch Trich's 2nd run as an example of what I mean.  Shipley should just get the DT with an arm to prevent him from coming in the 1 gap while keeping his shoulders square to the LOS, then when the guard gets a handle on the DT then he needs to get out to the LB.  If he had done that, that run and others would have been a huge gain, instead it was a loss of one.

But overall the line played ok and yes Thornton needs to get in better shape so he doesn't wear down in the 2nd half.

This is a nice analysis Coffee.  You are absolutely correct on the run plays with Shipley.  My feeling is he was pretty occupied with a certain 335 pound NT whose name rhymes with Knighton.  :)  Still with his experience he should have gotten to that 'second level' as you say. :thmup:

This is a nice analysis Coffee.  You are absolutely correct on the run plays with Shipley.  My feeling is he was pretty occupied with a certain 335 pound NT whose name rhymes with Knighton.   :)  Still with his experience he should have gotten to that 'second level' as you say. :thmup:

He rarely lined up over him.  And that play particular play (a delayed hand off) is designed to freeze the LB so the center has time to double (helps it look like a pass) and then peel off and get the LB just as the RB is getting the ball.  Instead, Ship turns his shoulders and let's the LB have a free shot at the RB.

He rarely lined up over him. And that play particular play (a delayed hand off) is designed to freeze the LB so the center has time to double (helps it look like a pass) and then peel off and get the LB just as the RB is getting the ball. Instead, Ship turns his shoulders and let's the LB have a free shot at the RB.

I saw that too. Didn't even attept to touch the LBer. Wish we would have went with Harrison. Can't wait to get Holmes back in there.

He rarely lined up over him.  And that play particular play (a delayed hand off) is designed to freeze the LB so the center has time to double (helps it look like a pass) and then peel off and get the LB just as the RB is getting the ball.  Instead, Ship turns his shoulders and let's the LB have a free shot at the RB.

That was a bad one.

I saw that too. Didn't even attept to touch the LBer. Wish we would have went with Harrison. Can't wait to get Holmes back in there.

Harrison is not very good at doing that either but yes I can't wait to get Holmes back in there.

The thing is, it's a correctable problem but it's up to Ship to correct it.  Satele did the same thing and then the problem last year was compounded with Thornton or McGlynn not being strong enough to handle the DT when he was passed off, so instead of the LB back there there was a LB and DT back there.  

At least both Mewhort and Thornton showed the strength to handle the DT.  I think Thornton just got tired and that is why he look rather pedestrian in the 2nd half.

That was a bad one.

It was but I did that mainly as an illustration, he did the same thing several more times during the game... where he would turn his shoulders and leave a big hole behind him... he needs to keep his shoulders square get that arm out to stop the defender and then trust the guards will handle it after that.

And again I'm not saying Shipley did bad, overall I thought he did ok.  His pass blocking was good.

It was but I did that mainly as an illustration, he did the same thing several more times during the game... where he would turn his shoulders and leave a big hole behind him... he needs to keep his shoulders square get that arm out to stop the defender and then trust the guards will handle it after that.

And again I'm not saying Shipley did bad, overall I thought he did ok.  His pass blocking was good.

I agree with you on the plays mentioned.  I cringed when Ship had nobody to block.  You have to FIND somebody as I used to say.

We have good depth if we get healthy with Reitz and Nixon.  AQ and Harrison can play guard too if needed.  I am not AS worried as I was.

Going to have to re-watch and look for this.  But from my memory (unreliable at best) I seem to remember the first half being filled with Bronco's in our backfield and the 2nd half not so much.  I may be completely wrong but, right now that is all I can seem to recall and would most likely be the reason why most would think the line was better in the 2nd.

I just watched it once (live), but I thought the line generally looked pretty good.  I'll take 3.9 ypc by RBs over what we had last year.  Von Miller was handled well, and overall the PP was good against a good front-7 (especially considering a center that had been on the team for 8 days).  I don't know who expects 100% wins against a really good front-7, but the interior was clearly better than everyone expected.  We win easily with that team effort against all but four or five teams in the NFL - it just so happens we were playing one of the best two teams in the league.  I'm relatively happy with everything but the final score...