Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would YOU have traded a draft pick and Fleener for Mankins?

JPFolks

Do you have any idea how much mankind would eat our cap

Not that much, actually. We'd pay his salary of $6.25m this year, which is on the high end for a guard, but not outrageous. Then his cap hits the next two seasons are $7m each. And there's no guaranteed money, and no potential cap penalties for releasing him, if necessary.

I wouldn't be lining up to do this deal, that's for sure. But his cap hit isn't too off the charts, IMO.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any idea how much mankind would eat our cap

Yes,  that's why I said I wouldn't do the trade.

But Salary or no salary,  this team will NOT win a Super Bowl until the O line issues are taken care of.

That may mean the players we have now playing better, it might mean getting better linemen or it could mean getting a new position coach. The point being, the idea of bringing in one of the best Guards in the game deserves a little more merit than a palm to face and other equivalent responses. Again I'm not saying you responded in such a way, you quote was just a convenient springboard for my soliloquy ;)

Here's a list of NFL trades I'd like to see...

Dolphins trade Chris Clemons to the Jaguars for Chris Clemons.

Lions trade CJ Mosley to the Ravens for CJ Mosley.

Colts trade Hakeem Nicks to the Saints for Akiem Hicks.

Saints trade Cameron Jordan to the Browns for Jordan Cameron.

As many of you know, the Buccaneers traded a 60+ catch receiving TE and a 4th round pick for Logan Mankins of NE, who has been ALL PRO the last 5 years (or perhaps Pro Bowl, can't recall).  

So would you have traded Fleener and a 4th (or perhaps 5th) for Mankins?

I'd be on the fence.  I don't know the financials, but I think Mankins is expensive.  But will we be able to resign all those 2012 Draft Picks? And if not, Fleener is the one I would let go first of the big 4 that year.  

Thoughts?  

Yes I would have and wouldn't have thought twice about it. 

Not that much, actually. We'd pay his salary of $6.25m this year, which is on the high end for a guard, but not outrageous. Then his cap hits the next two seasons are $7m each. And there's no guaranteed money, and no potential cap penalties for releasing him, if necessary.

I wouldn't be lining up to do this deal, that's for sure. But his cap hit isn't too off the charts, IMO.

Exactly!!

He's got 6 more years of solid play he'll probably be a pro bowler again this year. 

How many offensive linemen play well into their late 30s? Especially at age 38? 

I don't think there are any 38 year old offensive linemen in the NFL this season. I think Jonathan Goodwin is the oldest, and he'll be 36 in December.

How many offensive linemen play well into their late 30s? Especially at age 38? 

I don't think there are any 38 year old offensive linemen in the NFL this season. I think Jonathan Goodwin is the oldest, and he'll be 36 in December.

Well anyway he can still play better than anything we got. 

As many of you know, the Buccaneers traded a 60+ catch receiving TE and a 4th round pick for Logan Mankins of NE, who has been ALL PRO the last 5 years (or perhaps Pro Bowl, can't recall).  

So would you have traded Fleener and a 4th (or perhaps 5th) for Mankins?

I'd be on the fence.  I don't know the financials, but I think Mankins is expensive.  But will we be able to resign all those 2012 Draft Picks? And if not, Fleener is the one I would let go first of the big 4 that year.  

Thoughts?  

I would make that trade right now. I think Fleener is very overrated and an average NFL starting TE at best. He may not be the best TE on this team. If you don't get some protection for Luck and some good blocking for the run game you are risking the health of your franchise QB. That alone means this trade should have been made.

Is this a joke?  Trade a draft pick and a young, upcoming TE in Fleener for a 34 yo guard who is on the decline?   Why stop there!  Package TY Hilton into it too!

Some people are just too much into the "win now" approach that they want to mortgage the Colt's future on a single shot to win the SB with talented but declining players.

Our QB is only 24 years old!

I would make that trade right now. I think Fleener is very overrated and an average NFL starting TE at best. He may not be the best TE on this team. If you don't get some protection for Luck and some good blocking for the run game you are risking the health of your franchise QB. That alone means this trade should have been made.

You should send in your app for the GM job. In sure they will contact you ASAP

He's an average starting TE who is 25 and you want to dump him off for a guard who's 32??

At this point what about our offensive line tells you that they can't protect Luck anyways?  We spent a 2nd on Mewhort, a 4th on Holmes (who dropped only because of injury) and a 3rd on Thornton.

No. The Colts are a very young team that is right on the fringe of being a Super Bowl contender. Being as young as they are, they are going to improve each and every season probably for the next 3-4 seasons assuming that the core remains. In another words, the Colts within the next couple of seasons will become a true Super Bowl contender.

One way to bungle this up would be to start trading away key pieces. Allen and Fleener are definitely two key pieces in my mind. While there is no denying Mankins talent, Mankins is older. The only way you make this type of trade is if you are truly just that ONE piece away from being a serious contender and you want to win RIGHT NOW because your title window is currently wide open and could close. The Colts don't fit that description. Their window is just now beginning to open, and while Mankins would undoubtedly make the OL better right now, I think in the long run losing Allen or Fleener would be huge in a negative way.

Well anyway he can still play better than anything we got. 

And in 2 to 3 years he will be worse then anything we've got too.  

I'd rather build a team for the next 10 to 15 years of contending for superbowls then trying to go all out for one season and giving up players who could be important for us in the future.

Ha, ha. I just think Fleener is kind of a common talent. Lots of TEs that are better, Lots who are about the same and some who are worse.

A 6'6" 250 lb TE with great hands that can run a sub 4.5 40 is a common talent?  Where are all of the others with similar talent and measureables? 

A 6'6" 250 lb TE with great hands that can run a sub 4.5 40 is a common talent?  Where are all of the others with similar talent and measureables? 

I don't care about his measurements, only his performance which is less than his measurable suggest. I see little difference between what Fleener can do and what someone like Jacob Tamme can do for instance. We can get a someone to fill Fleener's spot but we very badly need offensive line help. This would have been exactly that.

I don't care about his measurements, only his performance which is less than his measurable suggest. I see little difference between what Fleener can do and what someone like Jacob Tamme can do for instance. We can get a someone to fill Fleener's spot but we very badly need offensive line help. This would have been exactly that.

Fleener is bigger, taller and faster than Tamme and I would be willing to bet stronger as well.

This would have been a very short term fix for the OL.  Fleener is still growing as a player and has not yet reached his full potential.  No way would I give up a young, talented player like Fleener for a guy like Mankins who could be on his last legs.

Now if it were Fleener for say, Cordy Glenn, then I would definitely consider it.