Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation that Stevan Ridley might be cut?

chad72

I would be all over that kid. Lil Billy is in his head I don't remember the fumbling problem at LSU. That would be a great addition in my opinion. I could see him getting the AX he has a fumble in the preseason. He needs a change of scenery. I would think they would try to trade him first though. I would be all over it.

Poor Boom back to the PS after that preseason

I would be all over that kid. Lil Billy is in his head I don't remember the fumbling problem at LSU. That would be a great addition in my opinion. I could see him getting the AX he has a fumble in the preseason. He needs a change of scenery. I would think they would try to trade him first though. I would be all over it.

Poor Boom back to the PS after that preseason

I don't see him coming here. Not now anyway. Maybe if their is a injury. But that guy can't hold onto the football

He's awesome if he can control his fumbles. Can he return kickoffs? he's got awesome power and speed if i recall. 

Fumbling can be fixed. I am telling you I don't remember it being a problem in college

. Belichick is in the kids head. In 2012 his second yr in the league and the first as the main ball carrier he had over 1200 yards and 12tds. I had him on my fantasy team I know he put up the numbers.  He fumbled in I believe the AFC championship game that year on a hit that resulted in a concussion. That is the geniuses of his fumbling problem. Where is our NE guy? I got it pretty close yeah?

Ever since then he has been on short leash and Bill has been in his butt about it. I think the kid just needs some Pagano love. He is a heck of a back when he holds on to the ball. I would be on that so quick.

I just don't see it not even for Bill he is the best running back they have but he did fumble in the preseason already. He has trade value not sure why he would cut him to send a message I guess. He will not have trouble finding work. I bet he looses that fumbling problem too. Some guys just don't respond well to the short leash.

Fumbling can be fixed. I am telling you I don't remember it being a problem in college

. Belichick is in the kids head. In 2012 his second yr in the league and the first as the main ball carrier he had over 1200 yards and 12tds. I had him on my fantasy team I know he put up the numbers.  He fumbled in I believe the AFC championship game that year on a hit that resulted in a concussion. That is the geniuses of his fumbling problem. Where is our NE guy? I got it pretty close yeah?

Ever since then he has been on short leash and Bill has been in his butt about it. I think the kid just needs some Pagano love. He is a heck of a back when he holds on to the ball. I would be on that so quick.

I just don't see it not even for Bill he is the best running back they have but he did fumble in the preseason already. He has trade value not sure why he would cut him to send a message I guess. He will not have trouble finding work. I bet he looses that fumbling problem too. Some guys just don't respond well to the short leash.

True, I think they would trade him first.

Also even if he was cut he'd hit the waiver wire first. . . his salary is tiny.  So it would be unlikely that we would get him as we would be at the bottom of the waiver priority list.

Ridley's a great back imo. He just doesn't want to get popped and thus is more concerned about his head rather than his hands. 

I know you strongly believe Bill is in his head and his college days were good but the reality is he is fumbling heavily lately.

Bill knows enough not to have his players scared and nervous. No one can play well being scared. I would prefer him stay in NE, so he fumbles when we play them.

True, I think they would trade him first.

Also even if he was cut he'd hit the waiver wire first. . . his salary is tiny.  So it would be unlikely that we would get him as we would be at the bottom of the waiver priority list.

I'm not sure what our position is in the waiver line, as of right now. We haven't made a waiver claim in a while. I can't really remember any this preseason. 

Belichick is in the kids head. In 2012 his second yr in the league and the first as the main ball carrier he had over 1200 yards and 12tds. I had him on my fantasy team I know he put up the numbers.  He fumbled in I believe the AFC championship game that year on a hit that resulted in a concussion. That is the geniuses of his fumbling problem. Where is our NE guy? I got it pretty close yeah?

If the sources I just checked out were correct he has 9 regular season fumbles (all running plays) and two postseason (one run, one pass) since 2011.

With Ridley, it hasn't always been just a numbers thing, but rather that his fumbles all seem to come at very inopportune moments. Belichick was asked about it recently and responded saying that no statistic directly correlates to wins and losses like turnovers do. 

Ridley has lost the trust of his coaching staff, and fumbling in the preseason this year did not help his cause. He's a hard-nosed runner but you kind of hold your breath every time he carries the ball. I don't have strong feelings about it either way. I'm sure the Patriots will be fine without him, but if they keep him around, great. 

Isn't waiver wire position based on record similar to the draft?  

Yes, but I think you go to the bottom of the list once you make a claim. I could be completely wrong about that...

But if so, and if the Colts haven't made any claims, that would mean that they are higher in the waiver order than they were at first, given how many other teams have made waiver claims.

Yes, but I think you go to the bottom of the list once you make a claim. I could be completely wrong about that...

But if so, and if the Colts haven't made any claims, that would mean that they are higher in the waiver order than they were at first, given how many other teams have made waiver claims.

I don't think that's the case.  I think that's a fantasy football thing and is not the case with the NFL.  

So I'm pretty sure the Texans would have the first opportunity to claim him and they can make as many waiver claims as they like at the top of the priority list.  That is until the regular season starts.  I think interestingly enough if we where to lose to Denver we would . . . for that week anyways be at the top of the waiver priority list because our schedule is considered the weakest in the NFL.  

I don't think that's the case.  I think that's a fantasy football thing and is not the case with the NFL.  

So I'm pretty sure the Texans would have the first opportunity to claim him and they can make as many waiver claims as they like at the top of the priority list.  That is until the regular season starts.  I think interestingly enough if we where to lose to Denver we would . . . for that week anyways be at the top of the waiver priority list because our schedule is considered the weakest in the NFL.  

You could be right. Thinking back to 2012, I think that was one of the perks that we discussed for the Colts, the ability to make as many claims as we wanted.

I do know that the waiver order for the first three weeks of the season is based on last season's record, so losing to the Broncos doesn't change our spot in the order.

Why not trade Ridley instead of cut him?  Some teams might be looking for a RB.

I think the Pats should play Ridley in the 4th preseason game.  That's the game where teams decide who gets cut and who doesn't and to give these guys some extra practice time.

I almost hold my breath every time they hand the ball off to him.  He hardly ever carries the ball with both hands to protect it.  He holds the ball way out there with one hand where it can be stripped......and it has been stripped many times.  He carries the ball recklessly.

You could be right. Thinking back to 2012, I think that was one of the perks that we discussed for the Colts, the ability to make as many claims as we wanted.

I do know that the waiver order for the first three weeks of the season is based on last season's record, so losing to the Broncos doesn't change our spot in the order.

Ahh ok I didn't know about that 2nd part.

But I don't think it's a rotating waiver claims. . . Waivers are a much bigger deal in fantasy football as new players sort of come out of no where and produce then they are in the NFL because productive players in their first 4 years are almost never waived, and if they are it's usually because of suspensions or crimes to the point where no other team would be interested in claiming them in the first place.

Why not trade Ridley instead of cut him?  Some teams might be looking for a RB.

The RB position has just been so de-valued in the NFL... I think teams also realize that if they hold out long enough, they might get him for nothing.

Mike Reiss (the ESPN Patriots beat writer) is usually very good, but this is only speculation at this point. Belichick could very well keep him on the roster all year. 

If the sources I just checked out were correct he has 9 regular season fumbles (all running plays) and two postseason (one run, one pass) since 2011.

With Ridley, it hasn't always been just a numbers thing, but rather that his fumbles all seem to come at very inopportune moments. Belichick was asked about it recently and responded saying that no statistic directly correlates to wins and losses like turnovers do. 

Ridley has lost the trust of his coaching staff, and fumbling in the preseason this year did not help his cause. He's a hard-nosed runner but you kind of hold your breath every time he carries the ball. I don't have strong feelings about it either way. I'm sure the Patriots will be fine without him, but if they keep him around, great. 

This link does not included the playoffs so he had one fumble 2 fumbles before the one he got the concussion on in the playoffs. I know he had at least one fumble in last years playoffs. Add that to the 6 total regular season fumbles lost it shows here our numbers are about the same.

I know there wasn't a fumbling problem in LSU. I am a fantasy guy for bettere or worse. I have tracked the kid and had him on my team since his rookie year. 2012 was a very good year for us. He had a problem holding onto the ball since the hit in the playoff game vs Baltimore I am almost positive it was the AFC Championship game. Last year was very frustrating he fumbled too much but every time he did he would get pulled sometimes for the rest of the game sometimes for a the next game sometimes for 1 abd a half games. 

The kid is a great runner inside the tackles and can bounce it out if your not careful. Fumbling can be fixed look at Tiki Barber. It is low risk high reward. We get him and he can't hold on to the ball he is gone no problem. Believe me I understand how important turnovers are. I am saying it is in his head.  If he can hold on to the ball we just scored a really good back on a rookie contract that will not have much bargaining power on his new contract.   

I still don't think they just cut him someone would give a late pick for him but I hope they do. I'd love to see what happens when he isn't looking over his shoulder the entire season.  Although NE is the worst team to own players from the injury reports are a joke you never know what is going on.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6487/stevan-ridley

Ridley's a great back imo. He just doesn't want to get popped and thus is more concerned about his head rather than his hands. 

Man I don't know how you can watch him run and say he is afraid of getting hit but we all see different things.

I was just surprised he wasn't at least shopped before just being cut. ATL pops in my head I find it hard to believe that there would not be more than a few teams that would not drop a 6th rd pick for the guy.

Man I don't know how you can watch him run and say he is afraid of getting hit but we all see different things.

I was just surprised he wasn't at least shopped before just being cut. ATL pops in my head I find it hard to believe that there would not be more than a few teams that would not drop a 6th rd pick for the guy.

he hasn't been cut yet

This link does not included the playoffs so he had one fumble 2 fumbles before the one he got the concussion on in the playoffs. I know he had at least one fumble in last years playoffs. Add that to the 6 total regular season fumbles lost it shows here our numbers are about the same.

I know there wasn't a fumbling problem in LSU. I am a fantasy guy for bettere or worse. I have tracked the kid and had him on my team since his rookie year. 2012 was a very good year for us. He had a problem holding onto the ball since the hit in the playoff game vs Baltimore I am almost positive it was the AFC Championship game. Last year was very frustrating he fumbled too much but every time he did he would get pulled sometimes for the rest of the game sometimes for a the next game sometimes for 1 abd a half games. 

The kid is a great runner inside the tackles and can bounce it out if your not careful. Fumbling can be fixed look at Tiki Barber. It is low risk high reward. We get him and he can't hold on to the ball he is gone no problem. Believe me I understand how important turnovers are. I am saying it is in his head.  If he can hold on to the ball we just scored a really good back on a rookie contract that will not have much bargaining power on his new contract.   

I still don't think they just cut him someone would give a late pick for him but I hope they do. I'd love to see what happens when he isn't looking over his shoulder the entire season.  Although NE is the worst team to own players from the injury reports are a joke you never know what is going on.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6487/stevan-ridley

Yeah I drafted him last year too... got a little burned after he put up good numbers in 2012!

I'm sure they've worked on this with him, and can only speculate that the continued issues are discouraging to the coaching staff. Kevin Faulk was the same way when he first came into the league, but corrected the issue. Others have too, as you pointed out. But this is going on two-plus years now and there hasn't been a lot of improvement. On most of these, he's not getting the ball ripped from his arms by five guys. They're the "careless" type of fumbles, just not doing a good job of protecting the ball against swats. The one in the November game against Denver last year was a terrific example of that. One guy just punched the ball out of his arms. 

When you have other options on offense, like the Patriots do, you're not going to feed a guy the ball if you aren't sure if he's going to hang onto it. I can't say I'd be surprised either way with Ridley. Could be cut, but could stick around too. Totally on the fence on this one. 

Yeah I drafted him last year too... got a little burned after he put up good numbers in 2012!

I'm sure they've worked on this with him, and can only speculate that the continued issues are discouraging to the coaching staff. Kevin Faulk was the same way when he first came into the league, but corrected the issue. Others have too, as you pointed out. But this is going on two-plus years now and there hasn't been a lot of improvement. On most of these, he's not getting the ball ripped from his arms by five guys. They're the "careless" type of fumbles, just not doing a good job of protecting the ball against swats. The one in the November game against Denver last year was a terrific example of that. One guy just punched the ball out of his arms. 

When you have other options on offense, like the Patriots do, you're not going to feed a guy the ball if you aren't sure if he's going to hang onto it. I can't say I'd be surprised either way with Ridley. Could be cut, but could stick around too. Totally on the fence on this one. 

You don't think you could get a draft pick for the guy. I do. That is the part I don't get. I would think ATL would take a flier for sure come on Steven Jackson. How long he going to stay healthy? Dallas has no behind Murray who hasn't made it an entire season I could go on. He's a proven back with a fumbling problem it's not like he's done some crazy stuff.

You don't think you could get a draft pick for the guy. I do. That is the part I don't get. I would think ATL would take a flier for sure come on Steven Jackson. How long he going to stay healthy? Dallas has no behind Murray who hasn't made it an entire season I could go on. He's a proven back with a fumbling problem it's not like he's done some crazy stuff.

ATL has Jaquizz Rogers and Davonta Freeman and DAL really likes Lance Dunbar.  I don't think either team would give up too much for a RB with major fumbling issues.

ATL has Jaquizz Rogers and Davonta Freeman and DAL really likes Lance Dunbar.  I don't think either team would give up too much for a RB with major fumbling issues.

Freeman is a rookie Rogers has proven he can't handle a full load the difference in talent between Dunbar and Ridley is substantial. I don't care enough to go down every teams roster. I wish they would cut or trade him would help his fantasy value. Bill tells nothing.  

I am not talking about a 3rd round pick a 6/7 would seem doable but maybe it is easier to cut him. I doubt happens anyway.

Perhaps. I mean the Patriots just got a marginal player and a 4th round pick for an all-pro guard though. 

If they shop Ridley, teams will immediately know what's going on, and will deal from a position of leverage and strength. If you know the Pats aren't going to put up with the fumbling, and don't want the player, you're not going to over-pay for him, right? 

Good example though... with Al Davis gone, Jerry Jones is the most likely to overpay for a player.  ;)

Perhaps. I mean the Patriots just got a marginal player and a 4th round pick for an all-pro guard though. 

If they shop Ridley, teams will immediately know what's going on, and will deal from a position of leverage and strength. If you know the Pats aren't going to put up with the fumbling, and don't want the player, you're not going to over-pay for him, right? 

Good example though... with Al Davis gone, Jerry Jones is the most likely to overpay for a player.  ;)

No I wouldn't overpay. I am not exactly sure how the waiver works at cuts. If you are a team that wants the guy and I would imagine there will be more than a few that think they can fix his problem. You know you are down the pecking order I would think a 7th for potentially a starting RB  and really if he can fix the fumbles a very good RB seems like he would be worth sacrificing the 200th player in next years draft for to me. I would do it. Wasn't he a 3rd rounder when you got him?

It certainly isn't because he shy's away from contact as some have suggested. I'd take a flier on him in a minute. Enough Ridley for me as you can see I like the kid. He helped me win my league 2 yrs ago so I am biased.

Why not trade Ridley instead of cut him? Some teams might be looking for a RB.

I think the Pats should play Ridley in the 4th preseason game. That's the game where teams decide who gets cut and who doesn't and to give these guys some extra practice time.

I almost hold my breath every time they hand the ball off to him. He hardly ever carries the ball with both hands to protect it. He holds the ball way out there with one hand where it can be stripped......and it has been stripped many times. He carries the ball recklessly.

Mmm Shady McCoy comes to mind faster than Ridley does when discussing reckless ball handling

Shady holds the ball the most recklessly out of all RB's IMO

Lucky he's quick cause that's an easy strip but people can't catch him seems like

I have learned never to draft a patriots player....they always curse my fantasy team

It worked both ways for me. I have had great success Moss and Ridley to name a couple but I put that team in a world of hurt too. I had Brady the year he went down had Gronk last year. Then Ridley for his meltdown. .

This yr will be a mess RB will be a committee no one is taking Vereen's role as pass catching back and he isn't a 3 down guy. Gronk who knows when he will feel like playing again I am not trusting the week 1 crap went through that last year.

Maybe Edelman even he isn't  that consistent Brady spreads it around so much. Gostkowski is as close as I will probably get to a Patriot    

I am with you it is best to stay away difficult because the team will put up points but hard to predict from wk to wk. K is the only safe play IMO.

This is why you never draft a patriots running back.

I agree.

Shane Vereen was doing so good, and then boom, the Dolphins focused on him so much that they shut him down in Miami when Tannehill beat Brady. The first game at Foxboro, the Dolphins were leading big at half time and then Ridley took off. You never know which game the pass catching RB will shine and which game the runner between the tackles will get volume.

So AK KNOWS he wasn`t shopped is that correct?

The guy is worth 1 loss per season. A Weak Div., Low turnovers and penalties is how we are winning. RUN From this guy. JMO of course