Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst of the Worst ?

dw49

You mean Hicks body slammed Luck onto his shoulder. 

That was ridiculous. 

Yes and I agree it was ridiculous but Luck didn't play well after that. Look for more of the same the whole season. They won't care that they get penalties and they will go after him hard early to make a point. They are going to take advantage of that poor oline to make big hits and rough Luck up.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and I agree it was ridiculous but Luck didn't play well after that. Look for more of the same the whole season. They won't care that they get penalties and they will go after him hard early to make a point. They are going to take advantage of that poor oline to make big hits and rough Luck up.

Bountygate 2.0 

Is the O-line really that bad?  Wasn't the team missing a couple starters?  I'm hoping that was the reason because if the O-line really is that awful than this team is pathetic  and *ic to put their franchise quarterback out there behind that poor of protection going on three years now.  Either the team doesn't care or they made colossal mistakes in judging talent and both are inexcusable and people should be fired. I'm hoping that it's just because starters were missing though.

I thought all the good work done in the first two games was erased in game 3.  It is clear that, since this is it for the starters, that we will be no match at all for Denver game one.  I also expect it will take an exceptional game for us to win game 2 against Philly.  After that, we should start winning and by the end of the season we could still have one of the top records in the AFC even starting 0-2.  

As for who was the worst?  Luck looked perhaps the worst of his entire career.  (Well, except for last year's San Diego game which was perhaps the most frustrating Colts game I have ever seen since they moved to Indy.. ack...).  The O-Line was predictably bad.  Denver will have their way with us.  Richardson should not even be the starter.  If Bradshaw can't stay healthy or doesn't have it anymore, I would start Boom Herron.  At least he runs HARD.  Nevertheless, our run game is a pipe dream.  Luck, if he can stay healthy all season, should easily finish as the Top Yardage Total for the first 3 years of any career in NFL history.  That's if he can get the ball anywhere near our outstanding receiving corps as he threw some dirt balls (if they'd been playing on a real field) at the ankles and 2 yards away. I agree with many others who noted it happened after he got pounded into the ground.  

Who was best?  Matt Hasselbeck.   He seems very sharp.  We are very lucky to have such a quality back up.  

Luck will be fine.  In fact, he'll be great.  The O-line not so much.  And can we please move on from Trent Richardson?  Sure, he can catch passes... but so can all our great receivers and tight ends. 

I thought all the good work done in the first two games was erased in game 3.  It is clear that, since this is it for the starters, that we will be no match at all for Denver game one.  I also expect it will take an exceptional game for us to win game 2 against Philly.  After that, we should start winning and by the end of the season we could still have one of the top records in the AFC even starting 0-2.  

As for who was the worst?  Luck looked perhaps the worst of his entire career.  (Well, except for last year's San Diego game which was perhaps the most frustrating Colts game I have ever seen since they moved to Indy.. ack...).  The O-Line was predictably bad.  Denver will have their way with us.  Richardson should not even be the starter.  If Bradshaw can't stay healthy or doesn't have it anymore, I would start Boom Herron.  At least he runs HARD.  Nevertheless, our run game is a pipe dream.  Luck, if he can stay healthy all season, should easily finish as the Top Yardage Total for the first 3 years of any career in NFL history.  That's if he can get the ball anywhere near our outstanding receiving corps as he threw some dirt balls (if they'd been playing on a real field) at the ankles and 2 yards away. I agree with many others who noted it happened after he got pounded into the ground.  

Who was best?  Matt Hasselbeck.   He seems very sharp.  We are very lucky to have such a quality back up.  

Luck will be fine.  In fact, he'll be great.  The O-line not so much.  And can we please move on from Trent Richardson?  Sure, he can catch passes... but so can all our great receivers and tight ends. 

Could not agree with you more about the Denver game.  This team is no match against Denver.  I actually said a few weeks ago that it was going to be a blowout and disaster.  No one wanted to hear it though, hopefully a few more people are willing to accept it now.  This team is going to be destroyed in the opener.

Could not agree with you more about the Denver game.  This team is no match against Denver.  I actually said a few weeks ago that it was going to be a blowout and disaster.  No one wanted to hear it though, hopefully a few more people are willing to accept it now.  This team is going to be destroyed in the opener.

So says the Oracle, it is destiny! I am gonna tune in and hope for the best anyway.

Is the O-line really that bad?  Wasn't the team missing a couple starters?  I'm hoping that was the reason because if the O-line really is that awful than this team is pathetic  and *ic to put their franchise quarterback out there behind that poor of protection going on three years now.  Either the team doesn't care or they made colossal mistakes in judging talent and both are inexcusable and people should be fired. I'm hoping that it's just because starters were missing though.

What ever it was, they should have gotten Luck out of there as soon as they could have. They risked having him injured with the crap that was playing in front of him.

Luck wasn't playing well before that. It had nothing to do with the hit.

2587832-8448602506-grasp.jpg

There was more than one and they cap banging his helmet. Weren't there two or three penalties for head hits or roughing? I don't recall the count.

There was roughing, then the hands to the face call, on back to back plays. Then Luck hit Hilton near the sideline, and then threw the TD to Fleener.

So your argument is that the hits he took shook him up, but it only showed up a possession later, and in between, he went 2/2 for 26 yards and TD? How does that work? 

And you're talking about a QB who always bounces right back up after taking a big hit, sometimes congratulating the player who hit him.

There was roughing, then the hands to the face call, on back to back plays. Then Luck hit Hilton near the sideline, and then threw the TD to Fleener.

So your argument is that the hits he took shook him up, but it only showed up a possession later, and in between, he went 2/2 for 26 yards and TD? How does that work? 

And you're talking about a QB who always bounces right back up after taking a big hit, sometimes congratulating the player who hit him.

I wasn't making an argument and I do not doubt Luck's toughness. I do think those things were done for a purpose and they didn't care about getting a penalty. There is a difference between a big hit and a cheap shot. I thought he was taking more cheap shots than normal.

I wasn't making an argument and I do not doubt Luck's toughness. I do think those things were done for a purpose and they didn't care about getting a penalty. There is a difference between a big hit and a cheap shot. I thought he was taking more cheap shots than normal.

Big hit vs. cheap shot is a judgment; in the end, it's all the same to the guy getting hit. And Luck has never looked even slightly rattled after a big hit. He gets right up and keeps doing what he always does. He was just off Saturday, it wasn't about the hits.

If teams want to take cheap shots at Luck, there's really nothing the team can do about that. I think every team wants to hit the opposing QB as much as possible. Luck's probably the wrong guy to try the dirty stuff against, though, since he's about the size of the guys hitting him anyways. Take the 15 yards and keep going.

Always straight to firing someone...

I'm watching the Seahawks/Bears game right now. The great and mighty Seahawks, whom everyone wants to emulate, are giving up all kinds of pressure, sometimes immediate pressure, on Russell Wilson. Their pass protection has been substandard as long as ours has been.

Personally, I'm much more concerned with the run blocking than the pass protection. There are ways to protect your QB, but if you can't run block, you're one-dimensional and everything is harder. 

I'm watching the Seahawks/Bears game right now. The great and mighty Seahawks, whom everyone wants to emulate, are giving up all kinds of pressure, sometimes immediate pressure, on Russell Wilson. Their pass protection has been substandard as long as ours has been.

Personally, I'm much more concerned with the run blocking than the pass protection. There are ways to protect your QB, but if you can't run block, you're one-dimensional and everything is harder. 

It was like that last season as well. People, even despite having won a Super Bowl aren't recognizing just how good Russel Wilson is. That offensive line wasn't good last year as well. 

It was like that last season as well. People, even despite having won a Super Bowl aren't recognizing just how good Russel Wilson is. That offensive line wasn't good last year as well. 

Russell Wilson is awesome, IMO. I said it last year. He's poised, he makes good decisions, and the physical talent is obvious. If he were five inches taller, he'd have been picked #2, I think.

And yeah, the Seahawks aren't good in pass pro, and it's been that way for years. Even great teams can't just snap their fingers and fix problems with the offensive line, especially in pass blocking. But at least they can run block. 

And yet last year, absolutely NO ONE expected us to beat Denver, yet look what happened.  Oh gee, we beat Denver, along with beating Seattle and San Fran along the way.  Was that a blowout and a disaster?  Absolutely NOT !!! The Denver game this year will NOT be a blowout and disaster as you so succintly put it.

I blame Obama.

Werner? No. He shouldn't have been anywhere near that play. Dinging him for missing a shoestring tackle seems unfair to me.

I'm not worried about Cherilus, or his contract (and I don't think that's a fair way to judge any player). Great pass rushers can beat good pass blockers. Dwight Freeneey used to destroy HOFer Jonathan Ogden.

Luck was bad. DJackson was put in bad situations, and then was a step slow in others. Again, Kelvin Sheppard was pretty good. The OLBs were pretty good in pass coverage and on the edge.

Cherilus wasn`t good at pass blocking last year so no reason to expect him to be quicker this season.

Ya, i remember Freeney having a good game against Ogden when Ogden played INJURED!

Sheppard, who had been promising the 1st 2 games showed me why he needs to be the 5th ILB this season. He wasn`t in the right hole several times. Yes i do believe Experience often can fix that.

Andrew, when contained in the pocket is a VERY AVERAGE passing QB, STILL! It will take him a few more years I feel sure.

Gos made up for it by pointing a finger at Hicks.....

I was unable to watch the game live, so I watched some of it on Sunday.  I was disappointed that none of the Oline got in the face of Hicks after he body slammed Luck.

Yeah, I mean, why even sign a LB if he can't cover Jimmy Graham or Marques Colston one-on-one with Drew Brees putting the ball on the money with each and every throw?

I would never blame any LB for not being able to cover any WR of great TE , one on one. I'm thinking maybe you didn't watch the game if you didn't see that he played the run terribly. I hunted around for some opinions of his play vs No and the first place I looked , I found Josh Wilson's evaluation on Stampede Blue. He's a pretty fair guy and the only other player he mentioned for poor play was Luck. Here's his evaluation ....

• D'Qwell Jackson had a terrible night.  He got burned in coverage a couple of times, including for a touchdown (but who's dumb idea was it to put him onMarques Colston, anyway?).  He missed a bunch of tackles, whiffing on them.  It was not a good night by any means for Jackson after two very impressive games to start his Colts preseason career.  Tonight, however, was bad.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/8/23/6061609/colts-vs-saints-final-score-colts-17-saints-23

I would never blame any LB for not being able to cover any WR of great TE , one on one. I'm thinking maybe you didn't watch the game if you didn't see that he played the run terribly. I hunted around for some opinions of his play vs No and the first place I looked , I found Josh Wilson's evaluation on Stampede Blue. He's a pretty fair guy and the only other player he mentioned for poor play was Luck. Here's his evaluation ....

• D'Qwell Jackson had a terrible night.  He got burned in coverage a couple of times, including for a touchdown (but who's dumb idea was it to put him onMarques Colston, anyway?).  He missed a bunch of tackles, whiffing on them.  It was not a good night by any means for Jackson after two very impressive games to start his Colts preseason career.  Tonight, however, was bad.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/8/23/6061609/colts-vs-saints-final-score-colts-17-saints-23

Nah, I watched it. I read Josh's article as well, because like you said, he is one of the most level-headed guys covering this team. I'm just not going to be sucked into evaluating our a LBs by how they played against Drew Brees and the Saints in a preseason game. We only got to see him for ONE HALF. He was great in the other 2 games, Wilson said so himself, but all the sudden after Saturday night I'm supposed to be concerned that he missed a couple of tackles? I'm not gonna jump on that bandwagon just yet. I'll let Brad Wells concede the season based on this game (which he has done very verbally on Twitter), but I'm not going there.

I was unable to watch the game live, so I watched some of it on Sunday.  I was disappointed that none of the Oline got in the face of Hicks after he body slammed Luck.

I think this kind of stuff is often overrated, but I do think the linemen should all over a defensive player if he takes a cheap shot like that at your QB.

Nah, I watched it. I read Josh's article as well, because like you said, he is one of the most level-headed guys covering this team. I'm just not going to be sucked into evaluating our a LBs by how they played against Drew Brees and the Saints in a preseason game. We only got to see him for ONE HALF. He was great in the other 2 games, Wilson said so himself, but all the sudden after Saturday night I'm supposed to be concerned that he missed a couple of tackles? I'm not gonna jump on that bandwagon just yet. I'll let Brad Wells concede the season based on this game (which he has done very verbally on Twitter), but I'm not going there.

Your a tough guy to discuss anything with but I'll give it my best attempt.

All I said was the Colts had a very bad game vs the Saints. In no place in my post did I say anything other than Kerr played very well and the other 4 players mentioned played poorly. My question was , who had the worst game of the 4 players I mentioned. Where in God's name do I mention that any of those guys are bad players ? No where do I talk about a "lost season" or any of those guys having anything but a bad game.

That's kind of been a theme since Luck was a rookie. I know Luck usually steps in to stop them, but damn, sometimes you have to take action.

I agree, that is why I said forget the run.  Richardson can't generate it on his own (even though Bradshaw had some success early on before his injury) and Donald Brown actually had success late.  In between, Richardson was hopeless from his first day until his most recent.  He had a single good play in preseason where he found his own little opening and got more yards than were handed to him automatically.  Sure, the O-Line sucks... and it isn't going to fix itself early in the season, but Richardson takes our biggest weak spot and puts a magnifying glass on it.  

I credit our GM for taking O-line in the second and seventh.  With so few picks, that's about all you could do really in the draft.  There weren't a lot of lineman in FA worth going after and it is hard to believe with all the college teams out there that they aren't producing a handful more excellent linemen each year.  We are not the only team with a terrible line.  On the other hand, Dallas, who suck more on D than any other team, has perhaps the best line.  It is clear all they care about there is offense.  Sort of like the Colts have been in the past.  This regime was going to be the opposite, but our only critical asset which is a MUST is protection of the franchise.  I love Hasselbeck, but I don't want him as our starting QB.  Peyton always managed to have a good to great O-line in front of him during his career.  Our aging D FA's we signed are a bandaid on Defense and most likely #90 is on his way out soon by his own accord.  Meanwhile, we went from empty cupboard at WR to overflowing, all while the O-Line was in crises mode all 3 years Luck has been around.  I don't claim to know how, but those guys should have fixed it somehow, someway.  I hope what we have left can protect Luck and our O-Coordinator can adjust to take advantage of the deepest receiving/TE corps in the NFL.  

Luck wasn't playing well before that. It had nothing to do with the hit.

2587832-8448602506-grasp.jpg

You are actually right about that.  I thought about it after posting and realized the body slam happened later in the game than I was thinking.  And another good point you made was that Luck got "woke up" from the slam, as he has often said, and zeroed in for that touchdown.  (I kind of liked Fleener's fake dunk pump fake... nice to have a twinge of levity now and then in football without crossing a line).  

By the way, where'd you find that grasping at straws painting?  I love the work and would like to check out the artist if you know?