Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst of the Worst ?

dw49

No doubt a putrid performance. Lets just give the game ball to Kerr as he excelled vs their 3rd team , but hey …that's a lot better than their second team kicking butt vs our first team. So being honest , we have to say that this team really was very bad tonight. My question is who should get the game turd ?

My nominees are..

1) Cherlius . Signed a huge contract to protect the right side of Luck and was just beaten to a bloody pulp by Jordan… play after play after play.  Ridiculous performance.. tough to beat.

2) Werner . Had a chance to make a few plays that would have been huge and came up emply. One was a whiff on a second and 16 tackle that turned a no gain into a 36 yard scamper and led to their 2nd TD.

3) Luck. Just a bad game . I would give a free pass but he was no doubt not good .

4) D Jackson. That was just terrible. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Werner? No. He shouldn't have been anywhere near that play. Dinging him for missing a shoestring tackle seems unfair to me.

I'm not worried about Cherilus, or his contract (and I don't think that's a fair way to judge any player). Great pass rushers can beat good pass blockers. Dwight Freeneey used to destroy HOFer Jonathan Ogden.

Luck was bad. DJackson was put in bad situations, and then was a step slow in others. Again, Kelvin Sheppard was pretty good. The OLBs were pretty good in pass coverage and on the edge.

D. Jackson was a step slow on some tackles, and like Superman mentions above there were some situations he was put in where the best linebacker on our team or any other for that matter would not have made the play.  Kind of hard to expect him to make a play in one on one coverage with Colston or Jimmy Graham, or some of the other stuff I saw.  I'm sure Manusky expected the pass rush to cover up some of those types of obvious mismatches I guess.

Where do the fans jumping off the bandwagon after a pre-season game rank? Btw that's more based on the board as a whole tonight than this thread to this point.

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment. People should be concerned, because this is exactly the variety of hot/cold we saw all year long.

Yes, we get it, it's preseason. But...just because it doesn't count, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. 

For whatever reason, the pressure seemed to really rattle Luck. Maybe that big hit where he was thrown to the ground rang his bell?

No doubt a putrid performance. Lets just give the game ball to Kerr as he excelled vs their 3rd team , but hey …that's a lot better than their second team kicking butt vs our first team. So being honest , we have to say that this team really was very bad tonight. My question is who should get the game turd ?

My nominees are..

1) Cherlius . Signed a huge contract to protect the right side of Luck and was just beaten to a bloody pulp by Jordan… play after play after play.  Ridiculous performance.. tough to beat.

2) Werner . Had a chance to make a few plays that would have been huge and came up emply. One was a whiff on a second and 16 tackle that turned a no gain into a 36 yard scamper and led to their 2nd TD.

3) Luck. Just a bad game . I would give a free pass but he was no doubt not good .

4) D Jackson. That was just terrible. 

...its preseason. We all know that Luck doesnt pump up until the 2nd half and im sure the starters know who they are. The only ones who should be playing hard at this point is the Wide Receivers.

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

It was a preseason game, you guys will be fine.

Saints defense was great last year, think you guys are forgetting that. We were ranked 3rd overall and they looked like it tonight if you count that performance.

The Colts will be fine, as long as no starters are hurt. This is just warm up, I wouldn't fret it much if I were you. Even if there is problems, you still own a very weak division and a schedule that guarantees at least 10 wins.

Go Colts!....No, seriously, I'm rooting for these guys too!

Werner? No. He shouldn't have been anywhere near that play. Dinging him for missing a shoestring tackle seems unfair to me.

I'm not worried about Cherilus, or his contract (and I don't think that's a fair way to judge any player). Great pass rushers can beat good pass blockers. Dwight Freeneey used to destroy HOFer Jonathan Ogden.

Luck was bad. DJackson was put in bad situations, and then was a step slow in others. Again, Kelvin Sheppard was pretty good. The OLBs were pretty good in pass coverage and on the edge.

1) Freeney never dominated Ogden like Jordan dominated Cherlius tonight. Freeney beat him badly every so often and got little carried away by a commentator or two. No doubt Freeney gave him fits but Ogden had some games where he held him without a sack and he very seldom had any help blocking Freeney.

2) I have no idea why I was unfair judging Cherlius the way I did. He was paid huge money to pass block. He's never been known for his run blocking. I thought the consensus for 2013 was he did OK. No doubt he was horrible tonight and his grades in other preseason games have been pretty low from what I've seen. I believe he graded out horribly last week ? Anyway , I don't get what's unfair about saying a player was paid big money to do something and isn't or didn't do it.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 24, 2014 - quoting edited post
Hidden by Nadine, August 24, 2014 - quoting edited post

fool...its preseason. We all know that Luck doesnt pump up until the 2nd half and im sure the starters know who they are. The only ones who should be playing hard at this point is the Wide Receivers.

Reported you for calling me a fool. Just so you know where it came from.

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment. People should be concerned, because this is exactly the variety of hot/cold we saw all year long.

Yes, we get it, it's preseason. But...just because it doesn't count, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. 

For whatever reason, the pressure seemed to really rattle Luck. Maybe that big hit where he was thrown to the ground rang his bell?

No , I guess we are wrong to be critical because it's pre season. If Andrew Luck dislocates a shoulder because Cherlius get's over powered or whiffs on Jordan every pass play … It's OK .. it's preseason. 

No , I guess we are wrong to be critical because it's pre season. If Andrew Luck dislocates a shoulder because Cherlius get's over powered or whiffs on Jordan every pass play … It's OK .. it's preseason.

well that didn't happen and Lucks pre-season is in all likely hood over as starters normally don't play the last game so you are worrying about something that didn't happen.

I said in another thread and will repeat here it's one thing to bring up fair concerns. It's another to have an extreme reaction to that concern that many here have had tonight. When one has an extreme reaction it's very hard too take it seriously. Now the reason I made sure to say in my first post that my comment was more directed at the forum as a whole tonight than this thread was because there wasn't the extreme over reaction in this thread of people acting like the season is over because of tonight like there has been in other threads.

I too wonder if that big hit that Luck took rung his bell a bit??  I hope it didn't, but he just didn't quite seem himself after that.  Or maybe I was just imagining things?

with concussion testing today plus the fact it's a pre-season game I think you are imagining things no disrespect intended. Had Luck gotten a hang nail they would have yanked him let a lone any kind of a sign of him getting his bell rung.

Luck barely played time wise, keep that in mind. He'd more than likely have worked out the kinks later in the game.

Werner has been great, he missed a hard tackle. Big whoop.

DQ disappointed, I was a hater but he played great I though vs the run in the two previous games which was the main knock on him, hopefully just a rare off night.

I thought the receivers were sloppy in their cuts a lot.

Kerr is a stud, no idea how he wasn't drafted. Loving the D line.

well that didn't happen and Lucks pre-season is in all likely hood over as starters normally don't play the last game so you are worrying about something that didn't happen.

I said in another thread and will repeat here it's one thing to bring up fair concerns. It's another to have an extreme reaction to that concern that many here have had tonight. When one has an extreme reaction it's very hard too take it seriously. Now the reason I made sure to say in my first post that my comment was more directed at the forum as a whole tonight than this thread was because there wasn't the extreme over reaction in this thread of people acting like the season is over because of tonight like there has been in other threads.

I didn't say I was worried about it , I said there is reason to be concerned when your starting RT was beaten about every pass play for 2/12 quarters of football. I noticed Jordan was killing him early and watched the match up from then on. It was very concerning to me . I have no problem with A Luck having a bad game and will give guys like Hilton ( he looked to be in another world tonight )  a pass too. But when you give a RT around 8 mill per year to protect your QB , that is not acceptable play. Just because Luck came out of the game without major damage as you point out , does not make it a non issue as you imply.

with concussion testing today plus the fact it's a pre-season game I think you are imagining things no disrespect intended. Had Luck gotten a hang nail they would have yanked him let a lone any kind of a sign of him getting his bell rung.

He also seemed to be fine during the 3rd quarter sideline interview.

1) Freeney never dominated Ogden like Jordan dominated Cherlius tonight. Freeney beat him badly every so often and got little carried away by a commentator or two. No doubt Freeney gave him fits but Ogden had some games where he held him without a sack and he very seldom had any help blocking Freeney.

2) I have no idea why I was unfair judging Cherlius the way I did. He was paid huge money to pass block. He's never been known for his run blocking. I thought the consensus for 2013 was he did OK. No doubt he was horrible tonight and his grades in other preseason games have been pretty low from what I've seen. I believe he graded out horribly last week ? Anyway , I don't get what's unfair about saying a player was paid big money to do something and isn't or didn't do it.

I wholly disagree.  Freeney certainly did man handle Ogden in a game or two I'd say worse than tonight

K …krunk. Cherlius had his hands on his sides shaking his head after pass plays the whole game.

You're talking as if Cherilus gave up 20 sacks tonight.  You're speaking about 1 preseason game vs more than one matchup that Ogden and Freeney had.  Cherilus doesn't even have anything to compare to in previous matchups vs. Jordan.  Wasn't a good night, but you're adding a bit more than necessary.

I didn't say I was worried about it , I said there is reason to be concerned when your starting RT was beaten about every pass play for 2/12 quarters of football. I noticed Jordan was killing him early and watched the match up from then on. It was very concerning to me . I have no problem with A Luck having a bad game and will give guys like Hilton ( he looked to be in another world tonight ) a pass too. But when you give a RT around 8 mill per year to protect your QB , that is not acceptable play. Just because Luck came out of the game without major damage as you point out , does not make it a non issue as you imply.

Actually I've said a couple of tines tonight in other threads that I feel line play is a concern but I also think it was going to be a concern with or without the pre-season. Again, like I said its one thing to have a fair concern. It's another to have an extreme reaction to that concern. IE it's one thing to say to say hey I think the o-line is a concern. It's another to go this is the worst line in the history of football and Andrew Luck is over rated and our coaches get out coached everytime and Grigson has no clue what he's doing!

See my point? The later is very hard to take serious and I've seen several people trending that way tonight. If people were just raising fair concerns and not having extreme reactions to them then I don't think you would see people dismissing reactions, but a lot of people on this forum as a whole aren't, they are way over reacting to one pre-season game.

As for GC I think he had a bad night against a pretty good player. Again, it happens. GC showed last year he was a good signing and I think despite tonight's performance he will prove again this year he is worth what the Colts are paying him.

I know

I have some guidelines about who I will discuss disagreements with. Just two simple categories and you fall into to the one that I would rather just say "I give." So as I say… your right… I give.

I have some guidelines about who I will discuss disagreements with. Just two simple categories and you fall into to the one that I would rather just say "I give." So as I say… your right… I give.

Ooooooh!  You got me there.  Lol!  Or maybe it's because others don't agree with you either

Actually I've said a couple of tines tonight in other threads that I feel line play is a concern but I also think it was going to be a concern with or without the pre-season. Again, like I said its one thing to have a fair concern. It's another to have an extreme reaction to that concern. IE it's one thing to say to say hey I think the o-line is a concern. It's another to go this is the worst line in the history of football and Andrew Luck is over rated and our coaches get out coached everytime and Grigson has no clue what he's doing!

See my point? The later is very hard to take serious and I've seen several people trending that way tonight. If people were just raising fair concerns and not having extreme reactions to them then I don't think you would see people dismissing reactions, but a lot of people on this forum as a whole aren't, they are way over reacting to pre-season game.

I really was just trying to discuss the game tonight and since it was a stinky one , it's hard to not talk about that aspect of the game. I really didn't think the whole O line was terrible tonight. Cherlius I thought was horrible but the rest of the guys played at a higher level than he did. Pretty young bunch considering interior had a rookie and two 2nd year guys. Room for improvement there for sure.

Btw… I really didn't react to your post , I was just agreeing to a part of Rusak's. I saw your explanation when you responded to my post and was OK with that and didn't directly respond to it. 

I really was just trying to discuss the game tonight and since it was a stinky one , it's hard to not talk about that aspect of the game. I really didn't think the whole O line was terrible tonight. Cherlius I thought was horrible but the rest of the guys played at a higher level than he did. Pretty young bunch considering interior had a rookie and two 2nd year guys. Room for improvement there for sure.

Btw… I really didn't react to your post , I was just agreeing to a part of Rusak's. I saw your explanation when you responded to my post and was OK with that and didn't directly respond to it.

i guess I found the people who are acting like they are giving up on the season after tonight to be the worst of the worst to me which I clearly knew you weren't. That's why I said what I said to start with.

The game was what it was. It's really hard to take too much away from pre-season because you don't know how much is them holding back in play calling or them wanting to try a specific play or player in certain situations and how much is just poor or good play. That's why I find it kinda funny to see people get worked up over pre-season games, again not that you were.

Sure you can see something like GC and Luck didn't play well but given both of their track record I am confident they will both bounce back and thus I am not all that worried about it. Luck got out of their healthy that's far more important than how he played tonight. Honestly I think the most important thing to come out of tonight's game will be an update on Toler's injury.

i guess I found the people who are acting like they are giving up on the season after tonight to be the worst of the worst to me which I clearly knew you weren't. That's why I said what I said to start with.

The game was what it was. It's really hard to take too much away from pre-season because you don't know how much is them holding back in play calling or them wanting to try a specific play or player in certain situations and how much is just poor or good play. That's why I find it kinda funny to see people get worked up over pre-season games, again not that you were.

Sure you can see something like GC and Luck didn't play well but given both of their track record I am confident they will both bounce back and thus I am not all that worried about it. Luck got out of their healthy that's far more important than how he played tonight. Honestly I think the most important thing to come out of tonight's game will be an update on Toler's injury.

Tolar has really appeared to step it up this year but his ability to stay on the field has been horrible throughout his career. I watched that play and I didn't see anything that looked terrible. Looked to be that he might have just twisted his ankle a bit so I'm hoping it just a ding…

K …krunk. Cherlius had his hands on his sides shaking his head after pass plays the whole game.

I don't disagree that Cherilus had a not so good night.  I just don't think it was worse than when Freeney dominated Ogden.

Not sure where you get this idea that I just want to disagree for the heck of disagreeing.  I am a pretty reasonable dude if 

you get to know me. If I believe something I fight about it on occasion, but I'm far from being a jerk. I'm cool with you having

a different view point.  I just happened to see it another way.

i didnt know it was a bad word...

Colts forum automatically blocks words you are not supposed to say and that is not one of them...

we block the words we can.  Rule of thumb here is don't call names........no personal shots.  It just causes squabbles and we have enough of those.  In fact there's one in this thread.  Sometimes people manage to have them without exchanging insults first.