Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You Be The Head Coach

Blue Horseshoe

You are on bye week. Your team is 0-10. Morale is poor but hasn't completely collapsed.

You have the current Colt roster plus you could pursue any available free agent.

You have the current coaching staff but you could swap in any unemployed coach you want although it would involve a learning curve and adjustment period for the players. Also you could make any schematic changes you want with the existing staff but again there would be a learning curve.

How do you fix things and win a few of the games remaining on the schedule?

I don't think that there is a magic answer or anyone that can come in during the bye week and flip a switch and turn things around, so we will have to ride and die with the horrible staff that is in place.

I would install a package, or mini offense that could actually attempt to put Painter into a place to succeed. This package would include some boot-action passes similar to what Houston runs with Schaub. I wouldn't have him attempt to run an offense it took Manning 13 years to cultivate. He might have a good play every now and then in it, but for the most part he has failed miserably and I put that blame as much on Caldwell & Clyde as I do Painter himself.

Defensively, I would ditch the 8-10 yard cushions in a hope of trying to curtail our opposing QB's from performing at NFL MVP levels(70% cmp rate, & 109.7 rating). The talent might not dictate this but I would be more aggressive with blitzes, and attempt to disrupt the offense as opposed to sitting back in a soft cover 2 shell and letting them systematically drive down the field.

Special Teams:

Lefeged would be instructed to down every kick that is in the endzone.

You are on bye week. Your team is 0-10. Morale is poor but hasn't completely collapsed.

You have the current Colt roster plus you could pursue any available free agent.

You have the current coaching staff but you could swap in any unemployed coach you want although it would involve a learning curve and adjustment period for the players. Also you could make any schematic changes you want with the existing staff but again there would be a learning curve.

Fire the entire coaching staff, cut painter, give orvlosky first team reps through the bye week. show some emotion on the sidelines and get the team fired up about not going 0-16. Bench addai. Brown / Carter get the start. Do a complete 180 on the play calling from both sides of the ball. Blitz. So much more...

I would just try to get the rookies and younger guys as much experience/playing time as possible for next season. Players like Castonzo, Nevis, etc. This season is already a lost cause, might as well treat it like an extended training camp/pre season.

I would also keep starting Painter. Run the ball A LOT more from here on out.

Listening to Chris Polian talk last night on chanel 8, everything is great, praising the fans for sticking with them during this bump in the road. This is my problem with this whole mess,and this is a mess. Just once I would love to here Polian or Irsay get up and say we relize we have some problems and they will be addressed. Instead we get golly gee or a play or two here and there and so on. I think this is why we joe fans are so on edge. Replace the special teams coach at least do something, anything to at least show they are aware of problems.This is an intelligent fan base albeit joe fans, we get it. So why continue to get blank blown up our buts with things like special teams don't matter, six inches, a play here and there, being healthy, Get off of your silly radio show and twitter and tell the fans what we want to here, this will be fixed. I agree with the OP this bye week would have been to make some kind of tweak rather than special teams don't matter and a break will do us well. CMON MAN!

Listening to Chris Polian talk last night on chanel 8, everything is great, praising the fans for sticking with them during this bump in the road. This is my problem with this whole mess,and this is a mess. Just once I would love to here Polian or Irsay get up and say we relize we have some problems and they will be addressed. Instead we get golly gee or a play or two here and there and so on. I think this is why we joe fans are so on edge. Replace the special teams coach at least do something, anything to at least show they are aware of problems.This is an intelligent fan base albeit joe fans, we get it. So why continue to get blank blown up our buts with things like special teams don't matter, six inches, a play here and there, being healthy, Get off of your silly radio show and twitter and tell the fans what we want to here, this will be fixed. I agree with the OP this bye week would have been to make some kind of tweak rather than special teams don't matter and a break will do us well. CMON MAN!

It doesn't matter how "smart" the fans are, no GM, owner or Coach is ever going to go in front of the camera's and do what you are asking. Heck coaches are not even honost week to week on how banged up players are and such.

It doesn't matter how "smart" the fans are, no GM, owner or Coach is ever going to go in front of the camera's and do what you are asking. Heck coaches are not even honost week to week on how banged up players are and such.

I am shocked you were 1st to jump in, but to no surprise you missed the point AGAIN. To be HONEST, with you I am pretty sure that 100% honest about your injury report is a tad bit different than what I said. Now before you reply go back and read it again a little slower. Then try to comprehend it, and then reply.

I would put Orlovsky with the starters, and if he's doing well, name him the starter for the Panthers. I show them clips of the 76 Bucs, and the 08 Lions and ask the players if they want to be them... Just stuff like that.

I am shocked you were 1st to jump in, but to no surprise you missed the point AGAIN. To be HONEST, with you I am pretty sure that 100% honest about your injury report is a tad bit different than what I said. Now before you reply go back and read it again a little slower. Then try to comprehend it, and then reply.

Again you are wanting something you are not going to get and are not happy with how the front office is voicing this season.

I'd replace Caldwell with Cower immediately. Not due to any brilliant coaching prowess, but I'd rather look at anyone's mug rather than the listless, helpless, pathetic, clueless, boring defeatest face that belongs to Jim C.

We'd still lose mind you.

Problem is Cower would't come here, he wants total control and the Polians are not going to give that up.

First, and i'll catch grief for this, but id bring in Gruden to replace caldwell. If i had my way id bring in rob ryan but he is employed.

i would inform Gruden to light a passion under their butts.

Second, coyer is gone! Who to replace him.. who the heck knows. But i do know this, the colts would blitz, run a more 3-4 defense. Id also send blitz' off the cornors. Indy never does this. Drives me nuts.

Painter would be finished. Orlovsky gets the first team reps. Id also pick up a good fullback. Part of indys problem is the lack of blocking. So bring in someone to help block. Plus a fullback is usually is a stronger pass blocker, and could be a dump down guy.

Clark, if healthy, would be sitting. Tamme, next man up. I like Tamme more than Clark. Stronger, beter blocker, runs good routes and can catch.

With regards to running the ball, id maybe try some reverses. Couldnt hurt.

First, and i'll catch grief for this, but id bring in Gruden to replace caldwell. If i had my way id bring in rob ryan but he is employed.

Second, coyer is gone! Who to replace him.. who the heck knows. But i do know this, the colts would blitz, run a more 3-4 defense. Id also send blitz' off the cornors. Indy never does this. Drives me nuts.

Painter would be finished. Orlovsky gets the first team reps. Id also pick up a good fullback. Part of indys problem is the lack of blocking. So bring in someone to help block. Plus a fullback is usually is a stronger pass blocker, and could be a dump down guy.

Clark, if healthy, would be sitting. Tamme, next man up. I like Tamme more than Clark. Stronger, beter blocker, runs good routes and can catch.

Why does Gruden get all of this love, exactly what has he done to deserve it?

I would put Orlovsky with the starters, and if he's doing well, name him the starter for the Panthers. I show them clips of the 76 Bucs, and the 08 Lions and ask the players if they want to be them... Just stuff like that.

This is the best....answer

The switch to Orlovsky creates a 'feeling' that we're still trying to win every week...

..maybe you even have Orlovsky talk to the team about what its like to go 0-16...

..and have him beg them not to make him go through it again

I would hire Bill Cowher, Fire the whole coaching staff - Including Polian! Jim Tressel goes to Offensive Coordinator, Antwaan Randle El starts as first team QB, Use 4 WR-single back schemes, and buy Pat Mcafee his own fountain to swim in during halftime--firing the frisby dogs. Thats how I would get the Colts a win and keep ticket holders interested!

Make a generic game plan to run the ball 60-70% of the time the rest of the games. Put in any additional plays needed to make it possible to run so much (maybe more PA oasses) and win or lose stick with it so that next year when we get Peyton back we have a running game to make Peyton even more effective. If we don't show improvement in the run game by the year's end, then we'll at least find out who to keep, who to cut (who can run who can block and how much help we need in that area). Any QB can implement that game plan to the end of the year.

Fire the entire coaching staff, cut painter, give orvlosky first team reps through the bye week. show some emotion on the sidelines and get the team fired up about not going 0-16. Bench addai. Brown / Carter get the start. Do a complete 180 on the play calling from both sides of the ball. Blitz. So much more...

I couldn't agree more...except I would still do nothing at this point for the same reason why nothing was done up until this point.

its obvious Polian is shooting the moon - and he has to because so many teams are 2-8. I almost have to agree with the plan now...a plan that Bill Parcells called the colts out on national tv in the first week of the season. The funny part is that Caldwell wasn't in on the plan, hes just that bad.

You REALLY think this whole nightmare is on Caldwell? How's about the front office for tying up sooo much $$$ on one player? That kind of ignorance is dangerous. Never mind that Manning's injury may very well turn out to be career ending. It is way more serious than is being let on. I have serious doubts that he will ever be the Peyton of old not to mention the guy is on the back 9 of his career anyway. The team is still giving effort they just aren't good enough to win at the NFL level. Ya need a major overhaul and you have to get more athletic. Painter or Orlovsky either one can run the offense that is currently installed. It is rhythm and timing based and tailored to Manning. A running game and run defense would be nice but we don't even have the players at that position to successfully pull that off. Face it, no Manning - no wins.

I would immediately fire Caldwell.

I would make Tressel the interim head coach

See what he can do with the team the final games of this year.

If he does well, then install him permanently

if he doesnt improve things bring in another HC for next year.

It's a low risk move.

This is the best....answer

The switch to Orlovsky creates a 'feeling' that we're still trying to win every week...

..maybe you even have Orlovsky talk to the team about what its like to go 0-16...

..and have him beg them not to make him go through it again

That's it? You bring in a guy just because he has passion? Okay...but what happens after that doesn't work...

I agree. Not only that, but Gruden is more offensive minded. We need to fix our defense fast, Peyton will take care of the offense, but Coyer has clearly shown he can't do anything with our defense

If I was coach, I would give the rookies and inexperienced players more playing time to see what they have to offer, especially Hughes. I would fire Coyer and Rychleski and try to find solid experienced coaches to replace them. I would see if Cowher has an interest in coaching our defense (though that might be unlikely since he had success as a head coach). On offense, I would put Orlovsky in as the starter and try to emphasize the running game. Our special teams are brutal, we have no blocking. I would emphasize blocking and tackling in practice and try to find some athletes who can run with the other teams' gunners.

Freeney and Mathis would basically be useless in a 3-4.

I agree. Not only that, but Gruden is more offensive minded. We need to fix our defense fast, Peyton will take care of the offense, but Coyer has clearly shown he can't do anything with our defense

If I was coach, I would give the rookies and inexperienced players more playing time to see what they have to offer, especially Hughes. I would fire Coyer and Rychleski and try to find solid experienced coaches to replace them. I would see if Cowher has an interest in coaching our defense (though that might be unlikely since he had success as a head coach). On offense, I would put Orlovsky in as the starter and try to emphasize the running game. Our special teams are brutal, we have no blocking. I would emphasize blocking and tackling in practice and try to find some athletes who can run with the other teams' gunners.

Umm.. like i said before. I like rob ryan, but he has a job!

Every time I see someone suggest that we bench Addai and give Carter and Brown the start, I think what do you think we have been doing for the past 5 weeks? He hasn't played except for a couple of plays in the Saints game and yall keep making the same silly suggestions. Hey! Let's sit our best runningback so we can see what Brown and Carter can do! We already know what they can do for the most part. Brown has played well which is great and Carter has ran hard and done well in short yardage situations. They are both good runningbacks but Addai is better right now.

Every time I see someone suggest that we bench Addai and give Carter and Brown the start, I think what do you think we have been doing for the past 5 weeks? He hasn't played except for a couple of plays in the Saints game and yall keep making the same silly suggestions. Hey! Let's sit our best runningback so we can see what Brown and Carter can do! We already know what they can do for the most part. Brown has played well which is great and Carter has ran hard and done well in short yardage situations. They are both good runningbacks but Addai is better right now.

Well actually he isn't, he is hurt so there is no reason to even consider playing him and given what the issue is there is a good possibility that it is going to be a reoccuring problem for the rest of the season, so just let him sit.

Well actually he isn't, he is hurt so there is no reason to even consider playing him and given what the issue is there is a good possibility that it is going to be a reoccuring problem for the rest of the season, so just let him sit.

That's not what people say though, they say sit Addai without mentioning his health.