Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You Be The Head Coach

Blue Horseshoe

Start Orlovsky.

Stop running the no huddle.

Get away from Single Back sets and start using some 2 back formations with our new FB.

Use Brown/Carter even when Addai comes back .

Run the ball 65% - 75%.

Basically keep learning how to run. So far it has been working as we went from 29th (2010) to 23rd (2011). Peyton would love to return to 2nd and short instead of all the 3rd and longs he was handed last year.

You are on bye week. Your team is 0-10. Morale is poor but hasn't completely collapsed.

You have the current Colt roster plus you could pursue any available free agent.

You have the current coaching staff but you could swap in any unemployed coach you want although it would involve a learning curve and adjustment period for the players. Also you could make any schematic changes you want with the existing staff but again there would be a learning curve.

How do you fix things and win a few of the games remaining on the schedule?

You don't. You pack it in, you evaluate the talent you have. Play the entire roster now. Find out what you have for sure. Fire the coach, OC and DC. Bring in Jeff Fisher, let him build new staff. Ask Jeff Fisher which coordinator job he wants to handle as well and let the new GM pick the other coordinator. It goes without saying that Polian would have to go.

First, and i'll catch grief for this, but id bring in Gruden to replace caldwell. If i had my way id bring in rob ryan but he is employed.

i would inform Gruden to light a passion under their butts.

Second, coyer is gone! Who to replace him.. who the heck knows. But i do know this, the colts would blitz, run a more 3-4 defense. Id also send blitz' off the cornors. Indy never does this. Drives me nuts.

Its a by week, not the off season. Where not gunna switch to a 3-4 with 2 weeks of practice, you think our defense is bad now? i could only imagine then. Why is everyone thinking the 3-4 is magically gunna fix our defense? You run the defense that the personnel allows you to do so. we do not have 3-4 personnel on our team. With quality players in a 4-3 can be just as successful as a 3-4. Nothing is gunna improve this year, we simply dont have the talent to do so on either side.

Now to answer the OP's question, i would fire Caldwell just to see what Tressel has got. Give him till the end of the year, if he doesnt surprise then we look at the available coaches. We have got nothing to lose this year, we know what Caldwell brings to the table, which is very little to say the least. Time to explore other options then whats just on the field....oh and whoever the strength/conditioning coach is has to go. Im tired of half the roster getting injured every year.

I'd replace Caldwell with Cower immediately. Not due to any brilliant coaching prowess, but I'd rather look at anyone's mug rather than the listless, helpless, pathetic, clueless, boring defeatest face that belongs to Jim C.

We'd still lose mind you.

NO NOT COWHER!

He's over-rated ALOT. He was lucky enough to have perhaps the best Def coord of all time.

Spits on everyone too.

I live in Pa. My family is mostly Steler fans (I got the brains in the family...obviously). I've been to MANY Steeler games. I know Cowher well (not personally).

We DON'T want Cowher. Tomlin came in and didn't miss a beat. I will bery VERY disappointed if Cowher would come here. I don't see him wanting the job anyway. He seems to be eyeing the Miami job.

I've thought about what coach I'd like to see. Most think Fisher, Gruden, Cowher. Of those, only Fisher somewhat interests me. However, there are ALOT of guys who are coordinators and other lower level coaches who would do a remarkable job. The problem is, isolating them and taking a chance on them.

When I look at this year's overall problems and which are more impactful and important, head coach isn't at the top. The losses of Moore and Mudd (Off coord and OL coaches) have added to the loss of Manning, injuries(again) .

It seems that our coaches, positional coaches, aren't doing their jobs. The findamentals. I was watching the news today at local high school football playoffs hi-lights. It was obvious which teams were winning. One team displayed an aggressive "pro-active" approach and dominated their opponents position by position. It starts there. Our guys are getting beat by the guy across from them. Without Manning, this is more evident. In the bye week, this team needs to go back to the basics. Schemes, tackling, smart and fast play.

Going forward, changes are needed in coaching.If manning does play again, I'm not sure major coaching changes are the best thing. Rather, add CB, OL, DL and I think we'd be "good enough". If Manning can't come back and we go the "Luck direction" or other, then major coaching changes could make more sense. man, just think if we could have harbaugh coaching Luck?

Special teams could use some change, although I'm not sure the coaches were given much talent. Especially at returns, PR and KR.

I'm alsowondering if manning's injury has exposed Christensen as not very good. Clyde doesn't have manning under center to get him out of bad calls.

Overall, I ALWAYS hated the "do what we do" philosophy. Manning kinda got away with it but no other QB really can. We're too predictable now. I'd like more weekly gameplanning / changes geared toward the weekly opponent. Not to the degree NE does, but throw away the "do what we do" thing. "What we do" isn't working.

I think the last 10 years of success (Manning) has made this organization complacent. The losses of Moore, Mudd, Gene Huey (RB), many scouts, etc have weakened this team. Head coach should manage the positional coaches. I just see that our "organizational" talent has decreased. MUCH more than "player" talent has.

I'd place Coach Caldwell as a WR.

Have Pat McAfee only throwing hail mary's every offensive possession (even 4th down).

I'd have Larry Coyer do cartwheels while bouncing a robot on his head.

Definitely move Pat Angerer to kick returner.

There would be alcohol allowed at practice.

Free gift cards to Victorias Secret for every member that gives it 45% in practice.

Not play special teams.

Last but not least would be bring Jennifer Lopez is VIA free agency to give the team taco flavored kisses.

You are on bye week. Your team is 0-10. Morale is poor but hasn't completely collapsed.

You have the current Colt roster plus you could pursue any available free agent.

You have the current coaching staff but you could swap in any unemployed coach you want although it would involve a learning curve and adjustment period for the players. Also you could make any schematic changes you want with the existing staff but again there would be a learning curve.

How do you fix things and win a few of the games remaining on the schedule?

Ummm. Sorry you should have posted this at about 4 or 5 losses in. At this point its all over.