Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay bashed for giving away cash?

oldunclemark

I understand now that Irsay does this every year. And it's only this year that it's drawing some attention.

But let me ask you..... why do you think that is?

We both know the answer.... because he's got an upcoming trial followed by Goddell's punishment. When the owner of my favorite team is a national story, then I care what it looks like to everyone outside the family. Especially when I think it makes him look bad.

So he should change how he acts and who he is just because of public opinion until after the trial and punishment? Why? It's not going to change the outcome of his punishments. Now he would come off as hypocritical and fake. Don't change who you are just because a few nobody's want to say something.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread looks like it's in the process of going sideways.....

To whatever extent I contributed to that,  I'm sorry.

I'll step out now.     I have no desire to stir things up anymore.    Didn't have that desire to begin with,  but sometimes that happens.

On to bigger and better......

When all else fails, there's always delusion.

I dont know how else to write this.

I asked you to justify your statements. You run away.

I invited to discuss your opinion. You run away.

I ask again to discuss. You call it delusion and run away.

Whats hilarious is you call out others for the same behaviour. Its ok, i am not going to take anything you say serious anymore.

Yeah, when no argument is to be had, repeat an incorrect and baseless statement. Good job, it never fails.

Yeah i see this from quite a few here. When they have nothing to say, either they blabber the same or run away.

Surprises. :cheer2:  :disco:

I heard the news and thought it was awesome. I know if I had billions of dollars I would give a ton of it away.

I would love to stay in a pharmacy one day and see how many elderly men and women go up and cannot afford their prescriptions. I would pay for any of them and also anybody else that gets turned away. I have actually done this one time with an elderly woman. I felt soooo good after seeing how grateful she was.

BTW...I wish I had been to Colts Camp getting 100 bucks :)

You're the best! I would too.

I am not a Colts fan but I don't have a problem with this, as this is not out of character for Jim Irsay. I think it is refreshing to have an owner who is so down to earth. I can see why Colts fans generally like him a lot.

I do think, however, that those not familiar with Irsay will say it is only a PR move. But, does it really matter what other fans think?

He really doesn't always act like your typical stuffy fake billionaire which not everyone likes since so many get caught up in "image".

I actually hate rich men for the most part but find Irsay likeable....might be because he is the owner of my team. I find him human though. He is the dude who got busted for drugs, tweets at 3 am, poses with guitars and hands out free cash or stuff to fans at times. I can dig it.

How can I hate this guy at times? Or be embarrassed? It's more interesting then the usual Manning vs. Brady thread anyway.

Hes handed out signed $100 bills at training camps before. I would think any Colts fan that paid even a bit of attention to the team would have known that. If your so shocked and appalled maybe u need to jump back off the Colts bandwagon.

Come on, was that necessary? He just has a different perspective and he gives food for thought. What's wrong with that?

Jerry Jones has never done anything extremely terrible in the public. Making bad draft picks is hardly the same as driving while intoxicated.

I would rather see Jerry Jones giving out 100s rather than having someone cleaning his glasses.....:)

Dude wth are you talking about? Wishful thinking? I don't give a damn about what Irsay does. He can ruin his reputation as much as he likes, I live in Houston, I don't follow the Colts or their owner. You act like there is some sort of agenda by other fans against Irsay when in fact there isn't. The whole victim card gets old. Uninformed assumptions? Okay. I was speaking more on reputation in general than this one incident. If Irsay goes and gets caught driving high off his pipe again, or does something else that owners just can't do (they are held to a higher standard than players, you know) then yes, owners and voters will remember, and that will have an effect on what happens with the team and the business of the team. Same goes for any owner, hell, look at how so many vilified New England for the Aaron Hernandez thing. You can stick your fingers in your ear and go la la la all you want but it is what it is. The notion that I have an agenda here is beyond laughable. But whatever, I guess everyone hates the Colts and someone planted those drugs in Irsay's system and the money in his pocket that night. The rest of us are such villains. /s

Dont lose your cool, my friend. You made good points. I agree with your point about the other 31 owners maybe having a problem with him but we don't know. While I think it is great that Irsay is so different from other owners, I can see how others may not like his behavior. Don't you think he is a bit like Mark Cuban? I like Cuban.

Anyway, I have a bigger problem with my team's former owner who you may know, Red McCombs. Now, his comments after the Strong hiring were not cool. I will take Irsay any time over McCombs.

You're the best! I would too.

I am not a Colts fan but I don't have a problem with this, as this is not out of character for Jim Irsay. I think it is refreshing to have an owner who is so down to earth. I can see why Colts fans generally like him a lot.

I do think, however, that those not familiar with Irsay will say it is only a PR move. But, does it really matter what other fans think?

Thank you!!

In a previous post today, someone mentioned that they often pay for someone's food in a drive-through.  Guess what?  My wife went to Burger King today and someone in front of her paid for her lunch.  How ironic is that? :)

Thank you!!

In a previous post today, someone mentioned that they often pay for someone's food in a drive-through.  Guess what?  My wife went to Burger King today and someone in front of her paid for her lunch.  How ironic is that? :)

That happened to me at Starbucks

I don't usually go there but, one morning I decided I would (it's pretty pricey)......anyway, I'm standing in line and the guy in front of me places his order and then turns to me and asks "What do you want? I'm buying"

And he bought my Americano just like that.

I guess this is a thing so,when it happens to you, you pay it forward

He really doesn't always act like your typical stuffy fake billionaire which not everyone likes since so many get caught up in "image".

I actually hate rich men for the most part but find Irsay likeable....might be because he is the owner of my team. I find him human though. He is the dude who got busted for drugs, tweets at 3 am, poses with guitars and hands out free cash or stuff to fans at times. I can dig it.

How can I hate this guy at times? Or be embarrassed? It's more interesting then the usual Manning vs. Brady thread anyway.

Irsay reminds me a bit of John Daly, the golfer. While they may behave in ways we don't approve, they are likeable. As you put it, they seems more human, just ordinary people.

Dont lose your cool, my friend. You made good points. I agree with your point about the other 31 owners maybe having a problem with him but we don't know. While I think it is great that Irsay is so different from other owners, I can see how others may not like his behavior. Don't you think he is a bit like Mark Cuban? I like Cuban.

Anyway, I have a bigger problem with my team's former owner who you may know, Red McCombs. Now, his comments after the Strong hiring were not cool. I will take Irsay any time over McCombs.

Yeah, I usually am more level-headed but there are three or so posters here that can make Dr. Jekyll turn into Mr. Hyde lol. Good example man, but I don't like Cuban either haha I do applaud him for being different and speaking out like he does, something that isn't expected out of owners. There is nothing wrong with being different, as long as you aren't demeaning yourself or others, be it intentionally or unintentionally.

I wasn't aware of Red McCombs until now, but I did a quick google search and yeah, guy seems like a spaz. Not exactly sure what he meant by what he said about Strong, who is a great coach, but I hope it isn't what my initial assumption was.

Or iron his money :)

He makes the worst of his employees do the 1 dollar bills.  HA HA!

IronMoney.JPG

Oh Brent that's nothing...the ones he really doesn't like get penny duty! Counting out 500K in pennies must be a lot of fun. :)

I hate this devil's advocate, "I'm just saying," half-hearted crap. If you have an argument, make it and stand by it. If you're wrong, admit it. If you're right, continue to stand by it. 

Weakly limping around on a sorry opinion brings nothing to the discussion.

Forums aren't always about making arguments. Like I said just an observation.

Forums aren't always about making arguments. Like I said just an observation.

You're just here to bring fire to the people... How noble of you! /sarcasm

I'm sure you can understand why and how it looks otherwise, but to each his own.

I'm sure you can understand why and how it looks otherwise, but to each his own.

If that is the case, she won at firing up at least one person.  As you used to say to the old dog, C A L M.........:)

Yeah, I usually am more level-headed but there are three or so posters here that can make Dr. Jekyll turn into Mr. Hyde lol. Good example man, but I don't like Cuban either haha I do applaud him for being different and speaking out like he does, something that isn't expected out of owners. There is nothing wrong with being different, as long as you aren't demeaning yourself or others, be it intentionally or unintentionally.

I wasn't aware of Red McCombs until now, but I did a quick google search and yeah, guy seems like a spaz. Not exactly sure what he meant by what he said about Strong, who is a great coach, but I hope it isn't what my initial assumption was.

While people feel they can judge those of us who are who we are........and maybe not as slick as others........ they pass no such judgement on those who remain in the background.............while those guys might not be so great.

I've known a lot of people who say one thing and mean another.........who say what they feel is the popular thing to say.........and then turn around and say something completely opposite.......it all depends on who they are with.

I have an inherent distrust of people with very different public and private facing personnas.

For me, that's far worse than not passing somebody's opinion on how you should carry yourself.........and whether or not they approve.

People are so superficial.  I generally prefer real.............unless it is racist, sexist, violent or criminal thatis.  And even then........at least what you see is what you get.

While people feel they can judge those of us who are who we are........and maybe not as slick as others........ they pass no such judgement on those who remain in the background.............while those guys might not be so great.

I've known a lot of people who say one thing and mean another.........who say what they feel is the popular thing to say.........and then turn around and say something completely opposite.......it all depends on who they are with.

I have an inherent distrust of people with very different public and private facing personnas.

For me, that's far worse than not passing somebody's opinion on how you should carry yourself.........and whether or not they approve.

People are so superficial.  I generally prefer real.............unless it is racist, sexist, violent or criminal thatis.  And even then........at least what you see is what you get.

True. I guess it differs from person to person as most things do on the nature of people speaking exactly what is on their minds or not. I like to know a person and what they really think about things as well, but sometimes it is not worth the trouble. Some people have really twisted views on things and me knowing such things from people I know and respect would definitely be a deterrent. This world we live in is growing more and more PC and I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing. A lot of feelings can get hurt, and we have all sorts of issues that pop up due to people speaking their minds. But you are right...the best way to know a person's views is if they are blunt and straightforward.

I dont know how else to write this.

I asked you to justify your statements. You run away.

I invited to discuss your opinion. You run away.

I ask again to discuss. You call it delusion and run away.

Whats hilarious is you call out others for the same behaviour. Its ok, i am not going to take anything you say serious anymore.

True. I guess it differs from person to person as most things do on the nature of people speaking exactly what is on their minds or not. I like to know a person and what they really think about things as well, but sometimes it is not worth the trouble. Some people have really twisted views on things and me knowing such things from people I know and respect would definitely be a deterrent. This world we live in is growing more and more PC and I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing. A lot of feelings can get hurt, and we have all sorts of issues that pop up due to people speaking their minds. But you are right...the best way to know a person's views is if they are blunt and straightforward.

I don't mean blunt.........which can cause hurt feelings..........such as when someone yells "hey you're fat or you're ugly"

But I do mean straigtforward and not pretending to be someone you are not..........or hiding who you really are..

Too many weasels running around in the world

I don't mind PC, but I also don't mind a lot of the things non PC people say........unless it's hateful........and even then, at least I know who they are.

And not all of us are as cool as others.  But cool people can also be terrible people.

I don't mean blunt.........which can cause hurt feelings..........such as when someone yells "hey you're fat or you're ugly"

But I do mean straigtforward and not pretending to be someone you are not..........or hiding who you really are..

Too many weasels running around in the world

I don't mind PC, but I also don't mind a lot of the things non PC people say........unless it's hateful........and even then, at least I know who they are.

And not all of us are as cool as others.  But cool people can also be terrible people.

I was country, when country wasn't cool! :)

I was country, when country wasn't cool! :)

That's what my mom says

She has no tolerance for newcomers to cowboy boots. She's always worn them........and looked hot wearing them! And she can linedance circles around most!

Speaking of which I was at a concert a couple of days ago and saw that linedancing has come back as "cool'..........it is now 'wiggle'

:omg:   I stepped away for about 7 hours, and came back to 88 additional posts, in this thread alone...   haha

Hot Topic.   I agree with what you say, Nadine.     I very much dislike  wishy-washy, and would much prefer people to be honest, and upfront,  even if that means disagreeing with them.    

We can't all always agree on everything ~  how boring would that be.   :scratch:

Keep being who you are, Mr. Irsay.  You are Real, and most of us love that about you.

You know I am all about the fire. ;)  And I love you too. But I know you already knew that. :dog:

True. I guess it differs from person to person as most things do on the nature of people speaking exactly what is on their minds or not. I like to know a person and what they really think about things as well, but sometimes it is not worth the trouble. Some people have really twisted views on things and me knowing such things from people I know and respect would definitely be a deterrent. This world we live in is growing more and more PC and I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing. A lot of feelings can get hurt, and we have all sorts of issues that pop up due to people speaking their minds. But you are right...the best way to know a person's views is if they are blunt and straightforward.

Unless your a Ravens fan that tells it like it is.

"Every man alone is sincere. At the entrance of a second person, hypocrisy begins. We parry and fend the approach of our fellow-man by compliments, by gossip, by amusements, by affairs. We cover up our thought from him under a hundred folds."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Friendship," Essays