Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay bashed for giving away cash?

oldunclemark

And mine is people love Dirty Laundry

Well played.

But most of the fighting I see is internal with Colts fans. You can try to pin it on rival fans if you want but I have read the threads. Irsay's actions, tweets, etc cause a lot of dissension in your fanbase.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well played.

But most of the fighting I see is internal with Colts fans. You can try to pin it on rival fans if you want but I have read the threads. Irsay's actions, tweets, etc cause a lot of dissension in your fanbase.

Perspective

I disagree

I joined this website in May of 2012 and this is the first time I've seen Irsay do something like that.

THIS is the first time I've been embarrassed about Irsay.

Given the big picture and what he's facing and the timing of it all, it was an INCREDIBLY STUPID and silly thing to do.

The visual was awful.

He really needs someone around him who he trusts to just say..... "No, don't do it. Just don't do it."

It looked like a PR stunt. It looked like he's trying to buy good will. Even if he's done stuff like this before, he hasn't with the a possible suspension and fine hanging over his head.

It was just flat-out dumb.

I've said to other posters in other threads here before that I've never been embarrassed over anything that Irsay has done. That changed when I saw the video of what he did.

I just wish he hadn't done it. It's not the end of the world, but while it may, or may not have bought good will with some of the locals, it certainly didn't buy good will with anyone outside the Colts community.

Bad move, Jim. Bad move......... :facepalm:

Then you obviously haven't been paying attention to the Colts and Jim much at all. He is always doing things like this, like gramz said about his Twitter and "abby's hat pick", among other things. Heck this isn't his first time doing this exact thing at training camp. He's done it for years.

I heard the news and thought it was awesome.  I know if I had billions of dollars I would give a ton of it away.

I would love to stay in a pharmacy one day and see how many elderly men and women go up and cannot afford their prescriptions.  I would pay for any of them and also anybody else that gets turned away.  I have actually done this one time with an elderly woman.  I felt soooo good after seeing how grateful she was.

BTW...I wish I had been to Colts Camp getting 100 bucks :)

Considering Irsay had 29 grand in cash on him along with a boatload of prescription meds he shouldn't have a very short while ago, I think I can agree the timing could be better for him handing out $100 bills. I certainly am not "embarrassed" by his doing so, but it definitely made me cringe just a bit when I saw the clip and feel like Irsay should have done it a bit different for the sake of Irsay.

I agree that in principle it is not much different than handing out jerseys. But the "optics" as others have labeled it here would have been far less negative had he done that in light of his recent issues with pills and huge sums of cash.

I heard the news and thought it was awesome.  I know if I had billions of dollars I would give a ton of it away.

I would love to stay in a pharmacy one day and see how many elderly men and women go up and cannot afford their prescriptions.  I would pay for any of them and also anybody else that gets turned away.  I have actually done this one time with an elderly woman.  I felt soooo good after seeing how grateful she was.

me too

Around my house we call that 'slush fund' money.  You can do whatever you want with it........don't have to pay bills with it!

Irsay could safely follow the "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" principle.

There are so many owners and so many players that help out a lot but they prefer to keep it quiet for most of the time. This is no different than Lebron James giving to the Boys and Girls Club in a "look at me, I'm generous" fashion. It may not be what Irsay and Lebron publicly hoped for but that will end up being the perception most of the time if you do it that way. The twitter giveaways are public enough for Irsay to get his popularity, this one was a tad over the top. He can easily find ways to get it to the needy without making a public spectacle of it. I agree that his intentions may be right but not the medium, and the timing of it doesn't help either.  :2c:

No. A billionaire always irritates grudge folks in every corner of the world, no matter how generous he is.

I myself won't ever envy any wealth. 

But thy peasants shalt not hold a grudge to the king...

"Gimme 100 bucks King!!"

"To the gallows," said the king!

I think giving away money on twitter in some contest-like setting is different than walking around and handing out $100 bills.

As they say in the media,  the "optics" are just terrible.  

And I think giving away money looks tacky as compared to say,  giving away an Andrew Luck jersey.   It just feels completely different to me.    Perhaps not to others here.

If I were Irsay's friend,  I would've said to him....   give away jersey's....   or give out money as part of some twitter-contest...   first to respond,  or first to get the answer right...   something like that...

But the visuals of a rich man handing out money just looks awful.   And doing it so close to when he's going to court on his pain killer charges makes the timing look even worse.

It may have been entirely innocent,  but from the outside --- to the non-Colts fan --- I think it looks poor.    And I don't think it looks good to the other 31 NFL owners, whose support Irsay could use....

Maybe with the court thing over his head it looks a little bad, I would agree with you.  But absent that, if a rich guy giving away money looks bad then there is something wrong in this country.  

Just an observation but Colts fans sure have to spend a lot of time defending their owner's kooky actions. The number of threads on him alone this past year would dwarf any other teams site for their respective owner.

Maybe you've heard of Jerry Jones before.

Irsay could safely follow the "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" principle.

There are so many owners and so many players that help out a lot but they prefer to keep it quiet for most of the time. This is no different than Lebron James giving to the Boys and Girls Club in a "look at me, I'm generous" fashion. It may not be what Irsay and Lebron publicly hoped for but that will end up being the perception most of the time if you do it that way. The twitter giveaways are public enough for Irsay to get his popularity, this one was a tad over the top. He can easily find ways to get it to the needy without making a public spectacle of it. I agree that his intentions may be right but not the medium, and the timing of it doesn't help either. :2c:

No different than Lebron dedicating an hour of television time to say the phrase "I'm taking my talents to South beach?"

Really?

There are so many owners and so many players that help out a lot but they prefer to keep it quiet for most of the time. This is no different than Lebron James giving to the Boys and Girls Club in a "look at me, I'm generous" fashion. It may not be what Irsay and Lebron publicly hoped for but that will end up being the perception most of the time if you do it that way. The twitter giveaways are public enough for Irsay to get his popularity, this one was a tad over the top. He can easily find ways to get it to the needy without making a public spectacle of it. I agree that his intentions may be right but not the medium, and the timing of it doesn't help either.  :2c:

I think it was just a matter of.......he was there and the fans were there and he wanted to have some fun with the fans.  I saw Jim Irsay talk to the Quest for the Ring contestants (something else that he did for fun) and what he said really resonated with me.  He's a fan.......and he said everyone in the organization begins and ends a fan........coaches, players.......everyone.  He feels a connection with fans.  He genuinely likes fans.

And i'm sure they all had fun

And now the critics are having fun

Considering Irsay had 29 grand in cash on him along with a boatload of prescription meds he shouldn't have a very short while ago, I think I can agree the timing could be better for him handing out $100 bills. I certainly am not "embarrassed" by his doing so, but it definitely made me cringe just a bit when I saw the clip and feel like Irsay should have done it a bit different for the sake of Irsay.

I agree that in principle it is not much different than handing out jerseys. But the "optics" as others have labeled it here would have been far less negative had he done that in light of his recent issues with pills and huge sums of cash.

You should really google what causes someone to cringe lol.

You are wasting your time. It's Wonderland here ! It's only gloomy in Baltimore and Boston.

Apparently it's so good here, you prefer to spend time here than with your own fan base. Says something to me buddy. :)

I could buy they if Irsay had never done anything like this before but he does it all the time. I think this ESPN trying to make a non-story into a story.

This is where I am NCF.....He's done this before.

Not doing something totally unrelated isn't going to change him problems.

Usually,,,owners are 'too greedy'....right?

This, I think, is normal behavior for him.......The suggestion is that he looks crazy in light of his recent arrest..

...but it only looks that way if you forget that he's always giving away things....

You have to look at what IT IS to those who are familiar with him..

......and not what it LOOKS LIKE to those who arent

I joined this website in May of 2012 and this is the first time I've seen Irsay do something like that.

Given the big picture and what he's facing and the timing of it all,  it was an INCREDIBLY STUPID and silly thing to do.

The visual was awful.

He really needs someone around him who he trusts to just say.....   "No,  don't do it.   Just don't do it."

It looked like a PR stunt.    It looked like he's trying to buy good will.     Even if he's done stuff like this before, he hasn't with the a possible suspension and fine hanging over his head.  

I've said to other posters in other threads here before that I've never been embarrassed over anything that Irsay has done.   That changed when I saw the video of what he did.

I just wish he hadn't done it.    It's not the end of the world,  but while it may, or may not have bought good will with some of the locals,   it certainly didn't buy good will with anyone outside the Colts community.

Bad move, Jim.    Bad move.........   :facepalm:

Irsay has been doing stuff like giving away cash/tickets for a while. In fact he was doing long before anything happened, and I don't think there are any other owners out there doing anything close to him as far as charitable offers go. The man made a mistake, and will have to earn back the trust of a lot of people... but trust me the money is not part of it because as I said it has been going on a long time. You are part of the new crew who came in with Luck from his college days in Stanford as memory serves me. So if you stick around you will see it a lot more of Jim Irsay doing good things. Things that will never be reported on without some negative connotations.    

Who do the 'optics' matter to?

I heard the news and thought it was awesome. I know if I had billions of dollars I would give a ton of it away.

I would love to stay in a pharmacy one day and see how many elderly men and women go up and cannot afford their prescriptions. I would pay for any of them and also anybody else that gets turned away. I have actually done this one time with an elderly woman. I felt soooo good after seeing how grateful she was.

+1. I like to randomly pay for the person behind me in drive-thrus sometimes.

Who do the 'optics' matter to?

It matters to some. I could really care less. However, if I were Jim Irsay, I wouldn't be handing out $100 bills in light of my recent legal trouble involving a big pile of cash. Some people DO care, chiefly the media who is looking to make someone look bad every chance it gets. As Colts fans we don't think it was a big deal, but to other fan-bases and the media I can definitely see how it could look dubious.

No different than Lebron dedicating an hour of television time to say the phrase "I'm taking my talents to South beach?"

Really?

Not the "I am going to Miami part". Only the "I am also giving to the Boys and Girls club" part. Just comparing the generous actions part of those. Otherwise, there is no comparison.

As far as an owner, he is definitely one of the best and the best one the Colts can have, no doubt about that. Just clarifying for those who are wondering what I think deep down about him. It is just the timing and medium of action in this specific instance I am not fond of.

It matters to some. I could really care less. However, if I were Jim Irsay, I wouldn't be handing out $100 bills in light of my recent legal trouble involving a big pile of cash. Some people DO care, chiefly the media who is looking to make someone look bad every chance it gets. As Colts fans we don't think it was a big deal, but to other fan-bases and the media I can definitely see how it could look dubious.

It doesn't look any worse than an elderly man having a relationship with a thirty year old less than a year after his wife died

And NCF clearly disagrees with you. There are many Colt fans who are embarrassed by Irsay's actions .

And FAR MORE that are Not.  :applause:

Those who want to look for "fault"  will find it.

Those who want to see the good in him "will find it"

Not the "I am going to Miami part". Only the "I am also giving to the Boys and Girls club" part. Just comparing the generous actions part of those. Otherwise, there is no comparison.

As far as an owner, he is definitely one of the best and the best one the Colts can have, no doubt about that. Just clarifying for those who are wondering what I think deep down about him.

While Lebron did do a good thing for the boys and girls club, the self serving grandstanding that went into "The decision" is what brought him a severe amount of critism.

Irsay did nothing remotely comparable to that.

You should google hyperbole.

Why because you said you weren't embarassed, but you cringed? And embarrassment is a huge part of cringing?

I don't think you are using hyperbole right, if you thought that was hyperbole.

And NCF clearly disagrees with you. There are many Colt fans who are embarrassed by Irsay's actions .

The act of being embarassed by someone you don't know, and only connection with is he owns your favorite sports team, is a strange concept to me.

It doesn't look any worse than an elderly man having a relationship with a twenty year old just a few months after his wife died

Well, how both situations look is completely subjective. But using your example, I would think most people would see it in a negative light without knowing any surrounding facts, just as I can see why seeing a guy handing out $100 bills who just got busted with prescription meds and thousands of dollars in cash would be seen in a negative light by a neutral observer.

Embarrassed is a stretch and an extreme word. Not fond of is more likely.

I know many who have said that they are frankly embarassed.  Two who used to post here frequently back in mid '00's.  That embarassment stemmed from his Twitter feed, though; not sure what they think of his recent exploits.

Why because you said you weren't embarassed, but you cringed? And embarrassment is a huge part of cringing?

I don't think you are using hyperbole right, if you thought that was hyperbole.

Hmm, I was thinking hyperbole was an exaggerated statement. As in no, I didn't literally "cringe." Whatever, I don't feel like getting in a contest about vocabulary.

As for my original comment, no I wasn't embarrassed by Irsay's actions, because I agree with you in another one of your posts, that is pretty extreme. I used the word "cringe" as exaggeration in that I instantly had a negative reaction to Irsay handing out the $100 bills. Not sure why that is hard to understand.

Well, how both situations look is completely subjective. But using your example, I would think most people would see it in a negative light without knowing any surrounding facts, just as I can see why seeing a guy handing out $100 bills who just got busted with prescription meds and thousands of dollars in cash would be seen in a negative light by a neutral observer.

I would like to know the surrounding facts. Can you enlighten us?.

I would like to know the surrounding facts. Can you enlighten us?.

Of which? Jvan's example of the old man remarrying or Irsay's situation? For Irsay, I am just assuming what others have said is true: that he does that sort of thing all of the time (handing out money to fans) so not to look at it in such a negative light. For the other, I guess you can ask Jvan to give us more insight into why the old man decided to marry a much younger woman, outside of the obvious.

Hmm, I was thinking hyperbole was an exaggerated statement. As in no, I didn't literally "cringe." Whatever, I don't feel like getting in a contest about vocabulary.

As for my original comment, no I wasn't embarrassed by Irsay's actions, because I agree with you in another one of your posts, that is pretty extreme. I used the word "cringe" as exaggeration in that I instantly had a negative reaction to Irsay handing out the $100 bills. Not sure why that is hard to understand.

haha. Nothing is hard to understand. I found it funny that you said "not embarassed" yet "cringed." I didn't believe you actually physically cringed. But it made me laugh.

It was funny?

Humorous?

Yes?

Personally, I think Wilbon makes some of the most moronic points on "Pardon The Interruption."  I'd rather listen to Stephen A. Smith ramble for two hours than listen to 5 minutes of Michael Wilbon.

That being said, yeah, it sucks that people are bashing Irsay for doing this. But it probably does look really bad to people who aren't familiar with Irsay's generosity. Heck, I'll admit that if another NFL owner was arrested on drug / alcohol charges and then was spotted handing out money, I'd probably think the same thing.

But we know what the deal is. I don't think I've ever witness someone with great wealth being as generous as Irsay is. During the regular season, usually twice a week he is doing Twitter trivia contests where the winners get game tickets, a jersey and cash. That's just fantastic.

haha. Nothing is hard to understand. I found it funny that you said "not embarassed" yet "cringed." I didn't believe you actually physically cringed. But it made me laugh.

It was funny?

Humorous?

Yes?

I guess I just misinterpreted your original response. My apologies.

Given the big picture and what he's facing and the timing of it all,  it was an INCREDIBLY STUPID and silly thing to do.

The visual was awful.

He really needs someone around him who he trusts to just say.....   "No,  don't do it.   Just don't do it."

It looked like a PR stunt.    It looked like he's trying to buy good will.     Even if he's done stuff like this before, he hasn't with the a possible suspension and fine hanging over his head.  

I've said to other posters in other threads here before that I've never been embarrassed over anything that Irsay has done.   That changed when I saw the video of what he did.

I just wish he hadn't done it.    It's not the end of the world,  but while it may, or may not have bought good will with some of the locals,   it certainly didn't buy good will with anyone outside the Colts community.

Bad move, Jim.    Bad move.........   :facepalm:

Hes handed out signed $100 bills at training camps before.  I would think any Colts fan that paid even a bit of attention to the team would have known that.  If your so shocked and appalled maybe u need to jump back off the Colts bandwagon.

Again another perspective from another non colts fan.  Yes some colts fans are critcal......but percentage wise non colts fans are more critical and come here seeing themselves as the most objective person to make these calls

I'm here every day and I live in Indy.  So I do have a closer perspective of local perceptions.

Media loves to criticize and so do non fans.