Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats Pulpit article The Drought

chad72

Ok, my mistake. He was taking into account the incentives which made the total deal more.

I wasn't trying to argue, I just remember him saying that directly. 1M/year more is quite a bit of money. 

We can disagree on the incentives though......those are pretty hard to attain. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two year deal from the Pats was guaranteed with incentives that is why it was a better offer as players key on the guaranteed money. Had the Broncos released Welker this past off-season he would have only made 6 mil total from the deal but like I said they picked up the second year so he has realized the full deal. The Pats deal was fully guaranteed so it was a better deal at the time that he signed with Denver.

I think the whole problem with this argument is that you are presuming that Welker necessarily felt the same way.  

He might have felt pretty confident that he'd be picked up for the 2nd year and if he's right, which he was then he won out.  

As I've said before, the Patriots are probably a half-dozen plays away from being 5-0 in Super Bowls since 2001, and a half-dozen plays away from being 0-5. It's truly and honestly that close. I'm not sure you can read all that much into the reason they've had sustained success but without being able to win another title since '04. They had some very good luck in their wins, and some very bad luck in their losses. It all averages out over time, I think. 

In addition to the two SB appearances since 2004, the Patriots have also gone to (and lost) three conference championship games. So in 10 years, that's two times in the SB, and five times - overall - in the AFCCG. If I recall right they've had two one-and-dones in that time (2009 vs. Ravens, 2010 vs Jets) and missed the playoffs once (year when Brady went down). 

So I'm not sure what the writer was really getting at... is that considered a failure? Reaching the title game or the final game in half of the seasons in the past decade?

I think the whole problem with this argument is that you are presuming that Welker necessarily felt the same way.  

He might have felt pretty confident that he'd be picked up for the 2nd year and if he's right, which he was then he won out.  

For sure. I think for Welker it became personal so I think he would have went to Denver for the exact same deal. It was clear at the end that he wanted out of NE.

For sure. I think for Welker it became personal so I think he would have went to Denver for the exact same deal. It was clear at the end that he wanted out of NE.

That may be entirely true as well.  I don't know the situation.  

But contract wise, it might not have been better in Welker's eyes.  And it's hard to really break down his choices here. . . on one hand you could say that he gambled 5 million guaranteed for an extra 2 million.  But that wouldn't even be the case because even if he was cut there is a good chance he'd stick someplace else for a season although we don't know for how much money.  So the whole thing is a little bit more complex really.  

That may be entirely true as well.  I don't know the situation.  

But contract wise, it might not have been better in Welker's eyes.  And it's hard to really break down his choices here. . . on one hand you could say that he gambled 5 million guaranteed for an extra 2 million.  But that wouldn't even be the case because even if he was cut there is a good chance he'd stick someplace else for a season although we don't know for how much money.  So the whole thing is a little bit more complex really.  

Yeah the Welker situation has a million tentacles to it. ;)  I am glad he had a good year in Denver and do hope the concussions are in the past for him.

I'm sort of curious as to why someone would turn down more money to play for the Pats?

Only thing I can think of is they don't like Belicheck's style.

ROFL

Or it could have been to play on the best defense in the NFL, with a solid chance to repeat.

New England hasn't won a Super Bowl since Spy gate which is very telling of them.

If only they'd had video of David Tyree practicing his helmet catch...

(That was a little joke intended to point out the absurdity of your statement, which has been made many times over.) 

During the dynasty years, every time their D had to make a play, it seems like they did, in a clutch manner.

That level of rising to the moment did not happen with their Ds in the last 2 SBs.

However, they did score 20 pts or more in all 3 SBs that they won by 3 but scored 14 and 17 in the 2 that they lost by 3 and 4.

Hardest title in sports to win is the SB imo. For one all other sports play a series so the best team has a huge advantage in that they typically win when you play it out over a series of games. Adjustments have to be made on the fly...little time to incorperate a change in gameplan etc. Slip ups cost you everything...a mistake likely sends you home as opposed to where you can come back and over come a loss. You are depending on many many more men to do their job then say a pitcher or timely hitting or a superstar in basketball that can carry you. You can have great performances by half your team and still get pounded in football. Also the elements can often come into affect more in football as rain, turf, cold, wind effect the game moreso then perhaps a cool fall evening in baseball or basketball which is controlled environment. So what the Pats did in the early 00's was incredible....what they've continued to do is amazing...but it does show how hard it is to get over the top. The best team doesn't always win...the best performance or player doesn't always win. And no matter how great your qb this game is a team game more than any other. No matter how great TB is...if his line protects him against the Giants he has a perfect season. If he makes just a slightly better pass and his receiver makes a catch that he has made often before he wins another. If his defense gets a timely stop....we can go on and on. It's why I don't always hold Peyton responsible for our losses. They have a great team and organization and their professionalism is top notch...I don't think players aren't going there for any other reason other than they see that nothing is guaranteed in life...except the money in your hand. Taking a pay cut doesn't mean you win anything. So yes they may take a little less or like to go to a winner...but they still aren't going to take major pay cuts to go there. In the early 2000's it looked all but certain they would win many more...players realize that isn't necessarily the case now...teams like Seattle and SF have just as good a culture and perhaps a better shot at winning now.

If only they'd had video of David Tyree practicing his helmet catch...

(That was a little joke intended to point out the absurdity of your statement, which has been made many times over.) 

Everything he types is absurd, so it's nothing new lol.

My point is still correct . Nothing wrong with that. Colt fans can stop saying that their team was the winningest team of the decade.

Sure, if we include the post season, Pats could have won a few more. I don't know the count.

Till 2004, we call them asterisk wins though.

Show me an official NFL * anywhere . 

They can't. Because they don't exist.

Spygate is the final resort of the Pats Hater. Despite the facts they ignore it's like a warm and cozy little cocoon for them. Most of them have little to zero knowledge of the history of the game, the facts surrounding the controversy, etc.

(Even the Wikipedia link above had a paragraph about something Heinz Ward said about the Patriots knowing the Steelers' plays. But Spygate was never about offensive signals - those have been radioed in since the mid-90s! Again, distortion of the facts, and a complete failure to put it into any sort of historic context.)

Someday I'm still going to make Patriots t-shirts with the phrase "Kiss My Asterisk

Someday I'm still going to make Patriots t-shirts with the phrase "Kiss My Asterisk

Is the reason you haven't done this (in seven years) because you don't want to come off like a douchy Raiders fan? Because that would be very Raiders fan-ish...

Is the reason you haven't done this (in seven years) because you don't want to come off like a douchy Raiders fan? Because that would be very Raiders fan-ish...

Nah, mostly just me being lazy about it.  ;)

I come off pretty douchy anyway.  :thmup:

I thought it was interesting:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/7/23/5930965/the-patriots-super-bowl-drought

no team in history can come close to their current streak of nine straight seasons of 10+ wins without a Super Bowl.

That is a long time, if you compare it historically. One thing that has changed is vets are turning down more money from Patriots (our own Reggie Wayne did :)). Not long ago you had vets taking less money to play on the Patriots, perception has changed, see Kevin Williams turning down more money from Patriots story below:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000359060/article/kevin-williams-turned-down-more-money-from-patriots

The Pats remind me of the Atlanta Braves.