Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the worst four weeks of the off-season

CR91

we're at the point of the off-season where its a football wasteland. how do you pass the time between mini camp and training camp

i hibernate i sleep so much in the beginning of the year i was 5'10 now im 6'1 but seriously i usually play xbox 

Its all bad to me, the "offseason". There is no substitute for NFL Indy Colts football..

I find some parts of the offseason exciting. Even looking at the photos of rookies in minicamp are pretty exciting. Usually at this time of the year I completely forget about football and do other stuff. The one really weird thing about me is that no matter who plays I always watch the HOF game entirely. Then I watch all of the colts preseason games and some of the games from teams with highly touted rookies.

I find some parts of the offseason exciting. Even looking at the photos of rookies in minicamp are pretty exciting. Usually at this time of the year I completely forget about football and do other stuff. The one really weird thing about me is that no matter who plays I always watch the HOF game entirely. Then I watch all of the colts preseason games and some of the games from teams with highly touted rookies.

^^^^ this. HOF game marks a beautiful return to football.

Right now I'm focusing on the World Cup. This is the most exciting one for America I've ever watched (albeit I've watched few)

It is tough..

..dead time by design...and we're up near Chicago where baseball just aint makin' it again this year

Good point, "by design". If something good gets too saturated then it loses its appeal, IMO. Ive followed/watched Nascar for over 30 years and that's what happened there for me, they ruined it. The NFL has done a good job of balancing but if they start expanding to over seas and more games I believe they will start flirting with the same dilemma  

I'm into other sports. Baseball, the World Cup, Wimbledon, and the NBA offseason (draft and free agency).

People still watch the NBA?? lol 

Man the NBA is such a joke. You can take 7 steps without travelling, you can goal tend, double dribble all without getting called on it. They need to raise the basket to AT LEAST 11" too. When guys can dunk jumping a few inches, it's time for a change. 

The only thing I like about the NBA is the squeaky shoe sounds. 

^^^^ this. HOF game marks a beautiful return to football.

Right now I'm focusing on the World Cup. This is the most exciting one for America I've ever watched (albeit I've watched few)

I've watched since the 1998 World Cup, that one sucked.  

2002 Was the most exciting one by far.  We not only qualified for the knockout round but beat arch-rival Mexico in the knockout round and advanced to the quarterfinals but lost 1 - 0 against Germany.  

It's very interesting. . . Historically speaking the US has not done well when the World Cup is hosted by a European country.  But typically seems to advance when outside of Europe.  

This has held true since 1990

1990 - Italy - US doesn't advance last in it's group

1994 - United States - US advances based on rules of the time (wouldn't advance today)

1998 - France - Horrible showing US was clearly the worst team there.

2002 - South Korea/Japan - Advanced to Quarterfinals

2006 - Germany - Failed to advance, last in group

2010 - South Africa - Advanced knocked out by Ghana in the Round of 16.

He has a habit of doing it... Great player, complete scumbag on the field unfortunately. 

He got 4 months no competition I am sure you know. Uruguay is done LIverpool has to be really mad no EPL or Champions League. It is crazy he is so good but such a fool. Looks like Barca might make a move for him 

I've watched since the 1998 World Cup, that one sucked.  

2002 Was the most exciting one by far.  We not only qualified for the knockout round but beat arch-rival Mexico in the knockout round and advanced to the quarterfinals but lost 1 - 0 against Germany.  

It's very interesting. . . Historically speaking the US has not done well when the World Cup is hosted by a European country.  But typically seems to advance when outside of Europe.  

This has held true since 1990

1990 - Italy - US doesn't advance last in it's group

1994 - United States - US advances based on rules of the time (wouldn't advance today)

1998 - France - Horrible showing US was clearly the worst team there.

2002 - South Korea/Japan - Advanced to Quarterfinals

2006 - Germany - Failed to advance, last in group

2010 - South Africa - Advanced knocked out by Ghana in the Round of 16.

Silver lining in 2006 we tied Italy who went on to win the Cup. Zidane lost his mind on the head butt I really was pulling for France in that match. Big Arsenal Henry fan

He got 4 months no competition I am sure you know. Uruguay is done LIverpool has to be really mad no EPL or Champions League. It is crazy he is so good but such a fool. Looks like Barca might make a move for him 

It will be interesting to see what Liverpool do with him, they're in a tough spot as he's by far and away their best player and if they lose him that whole team takes a massive step back. On the other hand he's out for 4 months (no training with the team even), and they've also backed him before over the racism issue and the other biting incident. If they carry on supporting him they will just look weak and foolish. 

They will almost be forced into selling him and although they will still get a decent fee it won't be nowhere near what he's worth. Then again when he's capable of such stupidity is he worth the risk? 

I must be the only one disappointed by the World Cup from a USA standpoint..

Totally outplayed in 2 games..and only mediocre in the 2-2 tie with Ghana...

...We seem to have so little offense compared to the rest of the world so we sit in a sleep inducing defensive shell.

So far  its worked

Totally outplayed in 2 games..and only mediocre in the 2-2 tie with Ghana...

...We seem to have so little offense compared to the rest of the world so we sit in a sleep inducing defensive shell.

So far its worked

they beat ghana tied Portugal

Totally outplayed in 2 games..and only mediocre in the 2-2 tie with Ghana...

...We seem to have so little offense compared to the rest of the world so we sit in a sleep inducing defensive shell.

So far  its worked

We beat Ghana and then we gifted Portugal the #4 team in the world a goal and had them beat outplayed them gave up a late heart breaker. Then we played Germany the #2 team in the world to a 1-0 loss. We played very conservatively really never attacked until the final 10 mins because that is what we needed to do.

We usually play a more aggressive 4-4-2 but with the win over Ghana and the injury to Altidore we dropped back to a more conservative 4-2-3-1. It was the smart play we had 3 pts from the Ghana game and had tie breakers on our side. Pepe making Portugal go a man down vs Germany for 60 mins put them in a big hole. The objective was to get out of unquestionably the hardest group in the Cup hence the name the group of death. No one gave us a chance yet we did it. What do you want 5-2 victories look around not a lot of that going on.

The objective was to advance we did that again when no one thought we could. Now we have a very very good Belgium team to deal with I believe #9 in the world and on the rise. They will probably be one of the favorites in Russia 4 yrs from now. I don't see how you can be disappointed unless you are Portuguese.

Allman Bros Fillmore East Box set announced

Led Zeppelin 2014 remasters of first 3 albums with bonus live shows (and they are under 15 dollars - great deal)

Prince remasters confirmed and Purple Rain Anniversary Deluxe Edition scheduled

Nintendo announces Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes for the 3DS

Mario Kart Wii U is released

Yeah this summer has been just horrible.

Time to let go of the favorite past time and embrace other entertainment this time of the year. This summer has been a blast so far for expectations on remasters.

they beat ghana tied Portugal

Totally out played in the game they won..

We didn't judge them like we'd judge any American pro team...

...They were 1-2-1...they were better than that in 2010..

....It was juts a big 'Watch Party' for ESPN...now that the US is out..few of us are still watching

Good point, "by design". If something good gets too saturated then it loses its appeal, IMO. Ive followed/watched Nascar for over 30 years and that's what happened there for me, they ruined it. The NFL has done a good job of balancing but if they start expanding to over seas and more games I believe they will start flirting with the same dilemma

You make 2 very good points...The NFL WANTS this to be dead time so you want the sport again when its August..

,..and the NASCAR season is too long .... few races are special...and the cheap seats are empty..

The NF: has the shortest season of the major sports...

Id like to see an 18-game season but this is an argument against that