Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign DT Brandon McKinney

TKnight24

@CraigKColts: The @Colts have signed DT-Brandon @BMcKinney96. McKinney is stout 3-4 interior presence trying to make club for third straight year.

@HolderStephen: #Colts announce they've signed DT Brandon McKinney after successful tryout this wk. McKinney has dealt with injuries the past 2 yrs

@KBowenColts: After a tryout this week, Brandon McKinney is officially back with the @Colts. The team signed the six-year (61 games) nose tackle today.

:colts:

hes 30 gonna be 31 coming off an acl tear. how is this a good signing?

His ACL tear was two years ago. Last year's injury was a meniscus tear, which is generally easier to recover from (but has more long term risk). Pagano said he's in great shape, lost some weight, and looked good moving around. He's at the bottom of the roster right now, so it's not a big deal really. But his familiarity with the defense makes him an easy fit, and you can never have too many bodies on the defensive line in camp. 

I didn't really expect us to sign him, and I don't think he's that good of a player. We really needed him two years ago, but now Grigson has really transformed the roster and I don't think McKinney will be able to break the lineup. 

If nothing else, he'll provide some depth.  I certainly wouldn't look to him to be the starter or play a big role or anything

His ACL tear was two years ago. Last year's injury was a meniscus tear, which is generally easier to recover from (but has more long term risk). Pagano said he's in great shape, lost some weight, and looked good moving around. He's at the bottom of the roster right now, so it's not a big deal really. But his familiarity with the defense makes him an easy fit, and you can never have too many bodies on the defensive line in camp. 

I didn't really expect us to sign him, and I don't think he's that good of a player. We really needed him two years ago, but now Grigson has really transformed the roster and I don't think McKinney will be able to break the lineup. 

I just dont want this to get in the way of developing the young guys chapman,hughes, and kerr

I just dont want this to get in the way of developing the young guys chapman,hughes, and kerr

They'll have plenty of reps to take through training camp.  I think it's good to have more bodies at training camp so you have more competition and it brings out the best in guys.  It'll also help keep guys fresh and rested

More competition is good, I think. Especially if it's a guy who knows the system. And if he ultimately beats one of those young guys out, then that means he's performing better than they are. 

Depends on how good Kerr is.  Obviously we are probably going to carry 2 NT's and Chapman is probably the starter.  So I'm guessing he's gonna compete with Kerr for a spot. 

Depends on how good Kerr is.  Obviously we are probably going to carry 2 NT's and Chapman is probably the starter.  So I'm guessing he's gonna compete with Kerr for a spot. 

Before this, I'd thought that we'd be using Hughes and Jones to rotate at nose, and maybe Pendleton. Franklin and Chapman only combined for about 60% of the defensive snaps last year; there were over 400 snaps that we didn't use a true NT on. Having a true backup will be important, but that could be Hughes, technically. Especially if you assume that Redding, Jones and RJF are going to play the majority of the DT/DE snaps.

There's definitely room for a second NT, though. Kerr or McKinney can easily earn a spot on the final roster, and would be good insurance in case Chapman gets hurt.

I wish him the best to continue a comeback, but am more interested in Kerr, Hughes, Chapman....and to some extent Pendleton and Big Art!!!  :)

Good, now I can start using Mount McKinney in posts again.  (Yes I know the real mountain is call Mount McKinley) but it seems ike a perfect nickname.

I've said this before too...as my dad used to say..."He's big enough to eat hay."  :)  I still laugh at that.

From reading this thread and others on the board regarding a final 53 prediction; people are completely sleeping on this signing. The upside of this signing has been completely underrated by every response that I have read.

If McKinney is 90% of what he once was then he will make this team, and if he is 100% then he might even start.