Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief as a returner?

Coffeedrinker

Colts Day 1 Minicamp article

A 6-2, 221-pound kick returner?

That just might be in the works for the Colts and rookie receiver Donte Moncrief.

The move makes sense on several levels.

First, Moncrief has elite speed and certainly the frame to be able to break tackles going full steam ahead.

Moncrief says he worked as a kick returner some at Ole Miss during his first two seasons and likes the early work he has gotten back there during his initial NFL offseason.

“It’s just being able to open the game up with a big play to start the offense up,” Moncrief says.

“They put me back there for a reason.”

Special teams coach Tom McMahon said last week that the Colts have about six or seven guys in the mix for kick returner (that number is up from one or two last year) and doesn’t foresee someone emerging until after the first couple of preseason games.

That could be interesting.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I. HATE!!!! This. Idea!! :yuk::loco::no:

I hope it's quickly abandoned.

I don't see what's wrong with it. Blazing speed & he's not gonna get many reps at WR this season barring injury to Nicks or Wayne so why not give him something else to do?

We spent a 3rd rounder on him, we better use him

I don't see what's wrong with it. Blazing speed & he's not gonna get many reps at WR this season barring injury to Nicks or Wayne so why not give him something else to do?

nicely put i agree hes surely more talented then that slob David reed lol, i still have nightmares of him not crossing the 15 yard line  :peek: 

nicely put i agree hes surely more talented then that slob David reed lol, i still have nightmares of him not crossing the 15 yard line :peek:

I'm just saying. It's not that Moncrief sucks, he's just not better than our first 3 WR's on the depth chart. Pep will probably rarely use 4 WR sets so he'll be limited action on offense, so use him on special teams. You spend a 3rd rounder on a player, use them. Get what you picked/paid for & get your money's worth. We need some spark in our return game anyway. Tired of seeing us start drives at the 20

Griff won't make the team if Moncrief shows out as a returner.

Whalen is our best punt returner; he doesn't return kickoffs.  These are different skills.  I can see Moncrief as a kickoff returner, doubtful about punts. Number one priority as a punt returner:  don't drop the ball.  Second, shifty.  Moncrief's hands, meh.

Reminds me of Tavon Austin. He did punt returns for the rams. I think all of us Colts fans remember him very well.... lol

exactly if he is taking a WR roster spot he has to contribute and he is not going to see the field on offense that much his first year. It is a big transition for a  WR to the NFL I think we have been spoiled because we have had some exceptions in TY and Marvin even Wayne only had like 37 catches his first year all those guys played 4 years.  Moncrief isn't ready to be our 3rd WR he came out as a Jr needs time to develop.

nicely put i agree hes surely more talented then that slob David reed lol, i still have nightmares of him not crossing the 15 yard line :peek:

Dude Reed was great!!!! I think he may have got to the 17 yard line a few times, maybe once to the 20. HOF material, Devin Hester esque.

Because I think the chances of Moncrief getting injured go way up playing special teams.

He's done it before,  doesn't mean he's great at it.     If he was great at it,  I think it would've surfaced before today.

It didn't. 

Coming out now,  they're looking for something to give him, as you put it.     Great! (sarcasm)

I don't want to see a top talent, and important future talent get hurt on freaking special teams.

I think ST teams are important.     But not that important.

I appreciate that mine is a minority view on this.......

Whalen is our best punt returner; he doesn't return kickoffs. These are different skills. I can see Moncrief as a kickoff returner, doubtful about punts. Number one priority as a punt returner: don't drop the ball. Second, shifty. Moncrief's hands, meh.

I agree but if they like Brazill more they may just stick TY at punt return.

:no:

You don't stick your offensive playmaker at PR increasing injury risk

You use guys like

Moncrief

Rainey

Whalen

Brazill

Boom Herron

I'm just saying.. we did for a stretch last year.. also we don't know if any on those people besides Whalen can be a punt returner.

I'm just saying.. we did for a stretch last year.. also we don't know if any on those people besides Whalen can be a punt returner.

Brazil returns punts he returned for us the last couple of years a couple of times in college he had a lot of experience took 4 to the house He also returns KO's

Rainey can to returned KO and punts for the Steelers in college returned KO's and holds the school record for blocked kicks 4 that's at Florida

It doesn't bother me.  Barring injury he's not likely to crack the top 3 WR's, to be honest he could be #5 his rookie year.  (We have a ton of depth at WR if you havn't noticed)

He's got the speed to do it too.  

Moncrief was always sort of a stash pick anyways.  The idea was that you work with him for a year with limited playing time.  Then next year when we likely have neither Wayne or Nicks he comes in and is part of the top 3 receivers on the team with TY and likely Da'Rick.  

how many backs do you think we will keep? We have to keep a FB for our Power game

Im guessing 4 running backs and Havili

1.Richardson

2.Ballard

3.Bradshaw

4.Rainey

Im a bit surprised we hung onto Rainey to this point, That makes three running backs coming off season ending injuries

Fullback

1.Havili

Zurlon Im expecting will make the PS but I think he lacks speed and doesn't have great vision to me, He does have some power though...Not great in this category in my opinion, I do like that he does not take these huge jump cuts that I saw out of Richardson last year to often, Smooth runner in my opinion