Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts starting secondary already fighting injuries

TKnight24

When will it all end??!!! :panic:

@KBowenColts: On the injury front, Vontae Davis is dealing with a groin injury and Delano Howell has a soft tissue injury.

@CraigKColts: Only one starting member of secondary worked today, G. Toler. Howell and Davis nursing mild injuries.

Ironically, Greg Toler was the only one practicing haha

Laron Landry:

@KBowenColts: Chuck Pagano said LaRon Landry is getting a physical and meeting with team doctors, something that has to happen before he practices.

No offense to the OP, so I hope you don't take it personally, I don't mean it that way.  But reports like this is why I don't show up pretty much from the end of the draft until sometime in the summer camp/pre-season games.  So much news over next to nothing.  There's just not much to talk about.

No offense to the OP, so I hope you don't take it personally, I don't mean it that way. But reports like this is why I don't show up pretty much from the end of the draft until sometime in the summer camp/pre-season games. So much news over next to nothing. There's just not much to talk about.

No offense taken. But after Greg Toler's groin injury last year, I'm worried for Vontae.

I'll be most upset if he gets hurt especially after the $$$ he just got & I'm looking for him to make a big leap this year & become a top 8-5 CB

Not a big concern.

@HolderStephen: One final thing on injuries to Vontae Davis and Delano Howell... I was told neither is serious. Just want to be clear on that.

They said the same thing about Greg Toler last year, look what happened

@HolderStephen: One final thing on injuries to Vontae Davis and Delano Howell... I was told neither is serious. Just want to be clear on that.

Don't be sensational. Not yet. We have a bunch of training camp practices, four preseason games, and 16 regular season games (and hopefully some playoff games) for you and everyone else to overreact about stuff like this. Don't waste it on precautionary holdouts in minicamp. 

Sorry but sensationalistic describes TKnight's entire posting career on this board.  It is especially true right now given, as has been stated by others in the thread, that it is June.

No, I'm also very concerned. Who's going to be the starting DBs for our game next week... er, I mean next month...er, .....never mind....

Wake me up when September..., no...August ends.

I don't see how this is sensational. 

Contrary to popular belief, it's ok to have an actual opinion about something. 

No offense taken. But after Greg Toler's groin injury last year, I'm worried for Vontae.

I'll be most upset if he gets hurt especially after the $$$ he just got & I'm looking for him to make a big leap this year & become a top 8-5 CB

Vontae is ALREADY top 2-3-4-5 as a Press corner.

We have been near the top League wide with injuries for the last 4 years. Something is Wrong ya think.

He's not being sensational.

I think the sensationalist part was comparing an injury that kept a guy off the playing field most of the season with a precautionary missed mini-camp.  Additionally, they never said anything about Toler's injury not being serious last year.  Just the opposite in fact, it was so serious they didn't want him back on the field until it was 100% healed.

Does the team stretch after workouts and practice? Something is wrong with the multitude

of injuries every year and needs to be figured out if we are ever going to be healthy

enough in the playoffs to make a serious run for a title.

Have you not seen pictures of football players all on their backs in neat rows stretching? It happens before games and practice but it doesn't prevent all injuries.

Have you not seen pictures of football players all on their backs in neat rows stretching? It happens before games and practice but it doesn't prevent all injuries.

Do they stretch afterwards? Stretching a tight body allows oxygen and nutrients to get more easily

to the areas that need it. Good rest is another thing that a body needs to repair itself after breaking

it down.

Just trying to figure out why so many injuries to this team over the recent years.

Do they stretch afterwards? Stretching a tight body allows oxygen and nutrients to get more easily

to the areas that need it. Good rest is another thing that a body needs to repair itself after breaking

it down.

Just trying to figure out why so many injuries to this team over the recent years.

Add another to the list

@KBowenColts: Ryan Grigson says LaRon Landry won't practice today. Something flared up w/ Landry. Grigson expects the whole secondary to be ready for camp

it down.

I can guarantee you that, whatever the issue is with the injury bug our team has been hit with, it's not going to be solved with a revelation about proper stretching and rest. It's absolutely annoying and frustrating that we can't seem to catch a break, but I think these professional athletes and the professional S&C coaches know about stretching and rest.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/richard-howell/7b2285ec-bb6d-47fc-87e3-91196a1d67fa

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Roger-Marandino/b1cb3fd0-f20f-42d3-aec3-22b525f4758c

Sometimes, guys just get hurt.

Edit: Also, if you pay attention to other teams around the league, there are a lot of minor injuries and precautionary holdouts at this time of year. If we have three or four minor holdouts pop up this week, that's probably less than most teams around the league. 

That post on its own isn't necessarily sensational. In tandem with the OP and the very spirit of the thread, though, yeah, I think the level of concern about precautionary holdouts in June is sensational.

That's my opinion. 

I can guarantee you that, whatever the issue is with the injury bug our team has been hit with, it's not going to be solved with a revelation about proper stretching and rest. It's absolutely annoying and frustrating that we can't seem to catch a break, but I think these professional athletes and the professional S&C coaches know about stretching and rest.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/richard-howell/7b2285ec-bb6d-47fc-87e3-91196a1d67fa

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Roger-Marandino/b1cb3fd0-f20f-42d3-aec3-22b525f4758c

Then why are the Colts one of the most injury riddled teams in the NFL over the recent past? What is

the problem and what is the solution?

I just clicked your links. Marandino has 4 years experience as a strength and conditioning coach?

Why would we have a guy with that little experience with the health of our players in his hands?

Wouldn't it make sense to have a more experienced guy on the job or is this way too much common

sense to figure out?

I just clicked your links. Marandino has 4 years experience as a strength and conditioning coach?

Why would we have a guy with that little experience with the health of our players in his hands?

Wouldn't it make sense to have a more experienced guy on the job or is this way too much common

sense to figure out?

Yeah, clearly he has zero credibility

http://prod.www.colts.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/MARANDINO-HONORED/fe0d61b3-f7db-43e0-8be3-ee3c8e4c00e1

sense to figure out?

Not that it's going to change your mind, but Marandino is well qualified, if you bother to read the bio. He served for 16 years as the S&C coach at Brown, and has all kinds of education and certifications to pad his resume. And really, the point in posting the bio in the first place is just to emphasize that a guy who has 21 years of experience in the field, and who was a national champion power lifter, knows the benefits of proper stretching and rest.

The Eagles turned their strength program over to a guy with NO experience in pro sports, and they had the fewest soft tissue injuries in the league last year. I would like to see us emulate their approach in certain ways. Dismissing a guy because he doesn't have the number of years of experience you would like is kind of a bad idea. If Chip Kelly thought that way, no one would know who Shaun Huls is.

Then why are the Colts one of the most injury riddled teams in the NFL over the recent past? What is

the problem and what is the solution?

I can't answer that, but I promise you it has nothing to do with stretching and rest.

I'm not saying that our S&C approach is perfect and beyond any criticism, but I don't think it's fair to blame the approach for the injuries. A lot of our injuries have been catastrophic, and wouldn't have been prevented no matter what you do. 

Does the team stretch after workouts and practice? Something is wrong with the multitude

of injuries every year and needs to be figured out if we are ever going to be healthy

enough in the playoffs to make a serious run for a title.

Now there is a novel idea. Wonder if the team, whose success is dependent upon the health of players, has thought that stretching may be a good idea

Not that it's going to change your mind, but Marandino is well qualified, if you bother to read the bio. He served for 16 years as the S&C coach at Brown, and has all kinds of education and certifications to pad his resume. And really, the point in posting the bio in the first place is just to emphasize that a guy who has 21 years of experience in the field, and who was a national champion power lifter, knows the benefits of proper stretching and rest.

The Eagles turned their strength program over to a guy with NO experience in pro sports, and they had the fewest soft tissue injuries in the league last year. I would like to see us emulate their approach in certain ways. Dismissing a guy because he doesn't have the number of years of experience you would like is kind of a bad idea. If Chip Kelly thought that way, no one would know who Shaun Huls is.

Whatever the problem is it needs to be addressed because chasing a title is even more difficult with 2nd and 3rd

stringers starting. I know every team has injuries but the Colts are consistently more injury prone than most

teams.

Someone posted a chart a little while back that the Colts were one of the most often top teams with injuries

over the past 3-5 years. Can't remember who posted it.

Whatever the problem is it needs to be addressed because chasing a title is even more difficult with 2nd and 3rd

stringers starting. I know every team has injuries but the Colts are consistently more injury prone than most

teams.

Someone posted a chart a little while back that the Colts were one of the most often top teams with injuries

over the past 3-5 years. Can't remember who posted it.

Well, five years predates our current S&C staff by three years, so I don't know that the problem really has anything to do with the S&C staff.