Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kaep extends with 49ers

21isSuperman

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL did all the GM's lose their minds? Way over paying these QB's. It will cost us 25 a year to keep Luck at this rate. Kiss the defense goodbye.

Paying a QB doesn't mean you can't have a good defense. That's a myth. It just means you have a smaller margin for error.

ESPN reporting 6/110....  18.2 per....     $61 Mill guaranteed, that's a record amount.

That sounds right to me.....       6/126 makes no sense whatsoever....

I'm expecting Luck to be roughly 6/115....    19.2

We might as well stop projecting Luck's number. I don't see Luck signing a deal prior to his 5th year option, and by that time, Russell Wilson and a few other guys will have signed new deals. Luck's deal will probably make him the highest paid QB in the league, and we just can't know what that number will be.

Also, Ian Rapaport is saying that incentives can take Kaepernick's deal to $126m overall. 

Better be hitting on some draft picks.

That's the key. Can't whiff on first rounders, can't ignore free agency to fill needs, etc. No one gets it perfect, and it's definitely harder to do, but that's just the way it goes. If you want a premiere QB -- and who doesn't? -- you have to pay the price.

This is insane. I would have cut him before I gave him this deal. Alex Smith took them to the same place and he cost a fraction of the price.

This always makes me chuckle. Congrats for Alex Smith doing that one time. It's silly to assume he would have done it again. We'll never know for sure anyways. He's in a different place now. They both got paid and they've both are having overall successful careers at this point. 

This always makes me chuckle. Congrats for Alex Smith doing that one time. It's silly to assume he would have done it again. He's in a different place now. They both got paid and they've both are having overall successful careers at this point. 

When he went down with Injury, he was on pace to do it again.

This is insane. I would have cut him before I gave him this deal. Alex Smith took them to the same place and he cost a fraction of the price.

He better be Joe Montana the next 6 years making this kind of money.

Go watch the playoff game against the Packers from two years ago. Kaepernick can be a monster. He has tremendous upside, and he's only started 29 total games. I think the APY is kind of high, but I get why the Niners would do this kind of deal.

I'm waiting to see the structure, but I'm betting with rolling guarantees and increasing salaries (probably a backloaded 6th year), it's reasonable in the short term.

But he didn't do it again. It's pointless trying to say what he would've done when none of that happened and we don't know for sure. Hopefully he gets an extension in KC, but it's not like he was going to be a good option worth spending 10+ million on for SF.

How could he have been on pace to take them to the NFCCG halfway through the season?

And besides that, Kaepernick got them to the Super Bowl, which Smith didn't do. 

Go watch the playoff game against the Packers from two years ago. Kaepernick can be a monster. He has tremendous upside, and he's only started 29 total games. I think the APY is kind of high, but I get why the Niners would do this kind of deal.

I'm waiting to see the structure, but I'm betting with rolling guarantees and increasing salaries (probably a backloaded 6th year), it's reasonable in the short term.

True, he's a Packer Killer and does indeed have tremendous upside, especially considering his size and skillset. He just seemed to regress last year though, using the eye test. He is not as accurate as one would want and he is bound to get blown up a few times with his unwillingness to duck out or slide, but these things can definitely be coached. And he's been to the Championship Game twice and has a great team around him so the arrow is pointed up. I'm not entirely convinced yet but he could definitely prove me wrong as early as this February.

Not sure the packers are a good example.....he owns that defense. What Tom Brady is to the Steelers, Kaepernick is to the Packers.

Not sure the packers are a good example.....he owns that defense. What Tom Brady is to the Steelers, Kaepernick is to the Packers.

Considering that the Packers are one of the best teams in the NFC, the odds are good that the Niners will play them in the playoffs every once in a while.

But the point is that Kaepernick has a lot of potential, despite his obvious flaws. And he's a QB.

But he didn't do it again. It's pointless trying to say what he would've done when none of that happened and we don't know for sure. Hopefully he gets an extension in KC, but it's not like he was going to be a good option worth spending 10+ million on for SF.

Meh, I was big on Kaepernick when the Niners let Smith go, but at this point I would rather have Smith at 10 than Kaepernick at 18.

True, he's a Packer Killer and does indeed have tremendous upside, especially considering his size and skillset. He just seemed to regress last year though, using the eye test. He is not as accurate as one would want and he is bound to get blown up a few times with his unwillingness to duck out or slide, but these things can definitely be coached. And he's been to the Championship Game twice and has a great team around him so the arrow is pointed up. I'm not entirely convinced yet but he could definitely prove me wrong as early as this February.

Can't hedge your bets with a QB because you think he might get hurt one day. 

I'm still waiting to see the structure. I know this is being reported as $61m guaranteed, but the guarantees are surely staggered, and because it's a six year deal and the cap is expected to continue increasing, the yearly average can angle upward continually. If Kaepernick isn't a $20m/year QB in two or three years, then the Niners will have a decision to make.

Meh, I was big on Kaepernick when the Niners let Smith go, but at this point I would rather have Smith at 10 than Kaepernick at 18.

But would you rather have Smith, outright? If the answer is no, then you have to recognize how much having a better QB can help your team, and then you grin and bear the extra cost for the better player. 

As it stands, I would rather have Kaepernick at $18m/year than Smith at $10m/year, for the same reasons that the Niners decided to make Kaepernick the starter and get rid of Smith.

Considering that the Packers are one of the best teams in the NFC, the odds are good that the Niners will play them in the playoffs every once in a while.

But the point is that Kaepernick has a lot of potential, despite his obvious flaws. And he's a QB.

I agree with this. Kaep was pretty good vs the Seahwaks this past year as well despite the TOs at the end. He has strapped that O to his back the last couple of playoffs and could have easily had a ring if not for the terrible play calling by Harbaugh inside the 10 vs the Ravens. He has a pretty powerful skillset despite some accuracy issues. He also is mentally tough as well. I think he is worth it but then again I am in favor of paying QBs. You have to the right guy at the helm and franchise Qbs just don't come around often especially in the second round.

But would you rather have Smith, outright? If the answer is no, then you have to recognize how much having a better QB can help your team, and then you grin and bear the extra cost for the better player. 

As it stands, I would rather have Kaepernick at $18m/year than Smith at $10m/year, for the same reasons that the Niners decided to make Kaepernick the starter and get rid of Smith.

I would rather have Smith right now, but I would rather have Kaepernick long term and cross my fingers on his upside.

You'll only have Smith at 10 for one more year. He'll get a huge contract as well.

How could he have been on pace to take them to the NFCCG halfway through the season?

And besides that, Kaepernick got them to the Super Bowl, which Smith didn't do. 

If you ask me, I would 100% rather have Alex Smith on the 49ers. The value of Alex Smith and what you are getting, vs the Value of Kaep and what you are getting is not that different, surely in Kaep's favor, but you could spend the extra 40 million on pieces to make the team better, and that far outweighs Kaep's ability as a QB. again IMHO.

I agree with this. Kaep was pretty good vs the Seahwaks this past year as well despite the TOs at the end. He has strapped that O to his back the last couple of playoffs and could have easily had a ring if not for the terrible play calling by Harbaugh inside the 10 vs the Ravens. He has a pretty powerful skillset despite some accuracy issues. He also is mentally tough as well. I think he is worth it but then again I am in favor of paying QBs. You have to the right guy at the helm and franchise Qbs just don't come around often especially in the second round.

To me, the question is whether you think he is or can be a franchise QB. It's hard to argue against Kaep's potential, IMO.

If you ask me, I would 100% rather have Alex Smith on the 49ers. The value of Alex Smith and what you are getting, vs the Value of Kaep and what you are getting is not that different, surely in Kaep's favor, but you could spend the extra 40 million on pieces to make the team better, and that far outweighs Kaep's ability as a QB. again IMHO.

What extra $40m?

And that's just like, your opinion, man... I don't think many share it with you, and that obviously goes for the Niners. They had to make this exact choice a year ago, and they chose Kaepernick and his potential, rather than Smith.

Smith will get paid too. He wont stay at 10 mil.

What extra $40m?

And that's just like, your opinion, man... I don't think many share it with you, and that obviously goes for the Niners. They had to make this exact choice a year ago, and they chose Kaepernick and his potential, rather than Smith.

The hypothetical 40m I drew up based on what I think Alex Smith is worth. and in my opinion they will pay for it.