Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kaep extends with 49ers

21isSuperman

Romo is a better passer to the cornerbacks of the other teams too.

Careful Shane....the Colts former QB and current one have not been known to exactly always play the cleanest of games either in big spots. Of course their upside outweighs the negatives more often and more times then not they are good passers.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thinking is that, since the ball travels faster than a player can run, an offense will score more points by having a QB who is a better thrower than runner, and by designing your offense around that type of QB one who throws the ball well...not that Kaep can't...provided the team's defense is the same for either QB.

I prefer to have mobile QBs.  But I think its best if the mobility is used to extend a passing play, or to pick up a few yards to get a first down...kind of like how Luck uses it.  Basically, the mobility is used as part of the passing game, not as a part of the running game, if that makes sense. 

That's fine. I mostly agree. I just think some people are allergic to the very concept of a QB who runs, as if that means he can't be good. It goes back to all the "read option is a gimmick" noise that was floating around the Internet in 2012. (Really, it goes back much further than that.) A QB who can run stresses the defense in another way, which is a good thing, so long as he can do his thing as a pocket passer as well. 

Kap has a lot of work to do. I prefer Luck, obviously, but I think the Colts should use his ability to run as a weapon more often. Bootlegs, rollouts, and the occasional read option play -- like the KC playoff game -- all combine with his ability as a passer to make life easier on the offense. And if he picks up 30-40 yards a game as a runner, even if some of those are designed runs, I'm fine with that.

Careful Shane....the Colts former QB and current one have not been known to exactly always play the cleanest of games either in big spots. Of course their upside outweighs the negatives more often and more times then not they are good passers.

Let's take the former as a comparison. Let's give current sometime, he is young.

Former has played in 23 playoffs games and winning 11.

5 time league MVP.

SB winner.

Find it amusing to blame the GM/Owner for lack of QB play. They won 3 SBs with the same GM/Owner.

You need be a bit careful comparing Romo to current/former Colts QBs. It's not even close.

Romo is a good QB. Try being a QB of a team whose owner/GM/President/Dictator freaking claps on the sidelines like a deranged seal during big games.

Giver Des Bryant, Miles Austin and Witten to Andrew Luck, they will be averaging 30 points.

Every single year, they barely make .500.

I agree on the deranged seal part, he is the only owner who is capable of giving Romo over 100 million dollars contract.

Let's take the former as a comparison. Let's give current sometime, he is young.

5 time league MVP.

SB winner.

Find it amusing to blame the GM/Owner for lack of QB play. They won 3 SBs with the same GM/Owner.

You need be a bit careful comparing Romo to current/former Colts QBs. It's not even close.

lol no I don't have to be careful, but thanks for the concern. It's just me on a message forum comparing QBs for fun.

And I never said Romo is better then Manning. Or even Luck. Just that.....well Manning has had his share of big game crappies too. Heck so has Luck. So has everyone. But, with Romo it seems that often everything gets thrown on him when things go wrong with the team, I get the record of the team is not good enough....I get the big game wins are not there. But, it's not all on HIM. The coaching has been lackluster at times, the defense horrible at times and overall messes everywhere. And we often like to give passes to a handful of QBs in this league when things do not go their way and blame everyone BUT the QB. But, with others we pile on them as soon as things go bad and point out every glaring mistake that could be on him.

I think we can cherry pick at times with our QBs.

My biggest issue is with these contracts lately. I mean Jesus jumping beans, the QB throws footballs and manages the offense. I get it I get, he is the leader at times but how much money do these men really need to be PAID. Not much I can do about it though....it is what it is.

And yeah I like Romo as a QB. I think if you want to play the what if game......if you had him on the 49ers these years with Jim Harbaugh they would be getting along just fine out in SF and might have a better QB situation then they have under Smith/Kaepernick.

Giver Des Bryant, Miles Austin and Witten to Andrew Luck, they will be averaging 30 points.

I agree on the deranged seal part, he is the only owner who is capable of giving Romo over 100 million dollars contract.

I agree with you for the most part on Romo but he does have 43 GWD or 4Q comebacks which I think is second only to Manning and Brady in terms of current Qbs playing the game. He is a maddening QB to watch play the game at times but I do think the dysfunction that is the Cowboys has hurt him more than he has hurt the Cowboys.

lol no I don't have to be careful, but thanks for the concern. It's just me on a message forum comparing QBs for fun.

And I never said Romo is better then Manning. Or even Luck. Just that.....well Manning has had his share of big game crappies too. Heck so has Luck. So has everyone. But, with Romo it seems that often everything gets thrown on him when things go wrong with the team, I get the record of the team is not good enough....I get the big game wins are not there. But, it's not all on HIM. The coaching has been lackluster at times, the defense horrible at times and overall messes everywhere. And we often like to give passes to a handful of QBs in this league when things do not go their way and blame everyone BUT the QB. But, with others we pile on them as soon as things go bad and point out every glaring mistake that could be on him.

I think we can cherry pick at times with our QBs.

My biggest issue is with these contracts lately. I mean Jesus jumping beans, the QB throws footballs and manages the offense. I get it I get, he is the leader at times but how much money do these men really need to be PAID. Not much I can do about it though....it is what it is.

And yeah I like Romo as a QB. I think if you want to play the what if game......if you had him on the 49ers these years with Jim Harbaugh they would be getting along just fine out in SF and might have a better QB situation then they have under Smith/Kaepernick.

Missed my whole point. Cowboys aren't a bad team. Put Manning or Brady in that team and you see different results.

That's fine. I mostly agree. I just think some people are allergic to the very concept of a QB who runs, as if that means he can't be good. It goes back to all the "read option is a gimmick" noise that was floating around the Internet in 2012. (Really, it goes back much further than that.) A QB who can run stresses the defense in another way, which is a good thing, so long as he can do his thing as a pocket passer as well. 

Kap has a lot of work to do. I prefer Luck, obviously, but I think the Colts should use his ability to run as a weapon more often. Bootlegs, rollouts, and the occasional read option play -- like the KC playoff game -- all combine with his ability as a passer to make life easier on the offense. And if he picks up 30-40 yards a game as a runner, even if some of those are designed runs, I'm fine with that.

Well said. On another thread some time ago I had made the comment that I think GMs are looking at QBs who can run/are mobile much more than just the pure pocket passers. That's not to say passing is not the number one criteria for evaluating a QB but I think in today's game you have to have a guy that can get out from the pressure and extend plays or pick up yards like you said about Luck. I also think the Colts should utilize his legs more but I get the sense that Irsay is so bent on winning a certain way to justify his releasing of Manning that he may have himself constricted in a little box. JMO.

I also think if you look at the last games that both Brady and Manning played last post-season, arguably two of the best pocket passers ever, and see how they were shut down then I think the reasoning for going with a more mobile QB makes sense.

I agree with you for the most part on Romo but he does have 43 GWD or 4Q comebacks which I think is second only to Manning and Brady in terms of current Qbs playing the game. He is a maddening QB to watch play the game at times but I do think the dysfunction that is the Cowboys has hurt him more than he has hurt the Cowboys.

I am curious to know how many of those games are from the last quarter of the regular season and playoffs.

Like I said earlier, it's not a bad team. He has got a great offensive unit. Remember the Denver game last year when they scored 48. Romo never plays like that when it matters.

I am curious to know how many of those games are from the last quarter of the regular season and playoffs.

Like I said earlier, it's not a bad team. He has got a great offensive unit. Remember the Denver game last year when they scored 48. Romo never plays like that when it matters.

Most of them were in Nov and Dec, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RomoTo00

None in the post-season as he has only played in 4 games total with just one win.

LOL did all the GM's lose their minds? Way over paying these QB's. It will cost us 25 a year to keep Luck at this rate. Kiss the defense goodbye.

Kaep has a more impressive resume at this point, playing in AFC Championships and Super Bowls, so i doubt Luck at this particular point in time would command more than him.. But if Luck starts contending for Lombardi's, then yea its going to cost around that kind of money to retain him.

5 time league MVP.

SB winner.

Yes, and that since winning 3 SB's that same owner has consistently shown bad judgement. The guy fired Jimmy Johnson and replaced him with Barry freakin Switzer.......and replaced The Tuna with Bum Jr. I won't even get into his poor personnel decisions.

Kaep has a more impressive resume at this point, playing in AFC Championships and Super Bowls, so i doubt Luck at this particular point in time would command more than him.. But if Luck starts contending for Lombardi's, then yea its going to cost around that kind of money to retain him.

Oh please. One guy was handed the keys to a Ferrari and the other was handed the keys to a Chevy Malibu.

Oh please. One guy was handed the keys to a Ferrari and the other was handed the keys to a Chevy Malibu.

And don't forget the coaching. I think Pagano is good but Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the game especially at developing QBs.

Oh misunderstood the conversation then.  I thought you were saying that Kaepernick has only been to one NFC title game.

No you were right...I had a brain fart and didn't count the title nfc title game last season.

I would bet a bundle Trestman could take Shaub and have him perform as good or better than Cutler. Hell, he turned McCown into a decent QB......and he was coaching HS ball when Trestman got a hold of him. A lot of guys get tagged as QB gurus, but Trestman is the real deal.

I disagree...and Trestman obviously did too otherwise he would have told the GM not to re-sign Jay....so I trust his own judgement over your lofty expectations of the guy....warranted as they do seem to be (I like Trestman too). I watch almost all the Bears games last year because I follow them to talk to my dad who was a huge Bears fan and McNown played out of mind...and got very lucky many times. He threw some balls that were in windows he has never thrown into and got bailed out a lot by Alshon and Brandon. I think that year was an anomoly for him..much like Nick Foyles year was to a degree. I disagree about Schaub...some of the throws required in the Bears offense...require arm strength that he simply doesn't possess....nor is his confidence to the point he can make them. I also think that Trestman sees something special he thinks he can get out of Jay as well...after all no one was crying for the Bears to bring him back after his injury...that was all Trestman.

I agree giving Romo that huge contract wasn't warrented. Honestly...he knew his salary cap was about to explode...he knew Ware and Witten are getting old. At some point you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Tony Romo still held a TON of value before his latest injury and huge contract. Had Dallas done the hard but necessary thing they would have moved him and other big names for draft picks. You can't tell me a team like Cleveland or Oakland wouldn't give up a boat load of picks for a qb? Cleveland with Romo is easily a playoff team. You don't think that Arizona wouldn't give up assets for Romo...thats a SB caliber team with him..as would Cincy be. Blow it up....find your qb of the future ala Manziel if they loved him so much and rebuild with young talent. As it stands they are cap strapped and talent deficient....they suck and they aren't going to get much better any time soon bogged down with the contracts they have. I think that Jerry should take a step back...let someone clean house and start over....because he is too invested in the players he brought in and thus compounds mistakes with bigger by not wanting to admit he made a mistake...overpaying for his mistakes etc. If that was to happen....and bring in a good coach...Dallas may come back.

Actually doesn't Peyton drive a Buick? At the point we were in 2010 with the injuries and what we came back with in 2011 it was truely amazing Peyton was able to drive that Buick into the playoffs...as Luck was in getting us in 2012. Peyton had to be excited to trade that Buick in for the Mustang or whatever he is driving now in Denver. Once he got at least 90% healthy he has really started making that engine purr...outside of that huge breakdown in the SB. Kaepernick has struggled at times but that offense isn't the same when Crabtree isn't on the field....and Davis got hurt at times too....Crabtree really helps that offense go....I really look for a healthy full year from him and Johnson coming in to really help Kaep progress. Its up to him to start reading the defenses now and making his progressions and not keying in on one guy. We shall see...but he has a huge upside...almost as much as Lucks I would say.

I agree with you and Dgambill. The Niners had to keep Kaep and they structured the contract in such a way where it will not hurt their cap.

You clearly appreciate all the skills a player brings. What is your opinion of Bridgewater?

I agree with you and Dgambill. The Niners had to keep Kaep and they structured the contract in such a way where it will not hurt their cap.

You clearly appreciate all the skills a player brings. What is your opinion of Bridgewater?

I haven't spent a whole lot of time watching him. Not impressed with his arm strength, and he's not super athletic, but he's got good touch, he can usually put the ball where it needs to go. I know he had a bad pro day, which is kind of the opposite of what you'd expect. 

so have the cowboys

They've won one game since like 1995 or so lol. Romo gets so many excuses thrown his way but he has had good teams in the past and a QB of his caliber should be able to carry a team. Instead we get things like field goal fiascos and game sealing ints in games that matter.

They've won one game since like 1995 or so lol. Romo gets so many excuses thrown his way but he has had good teams in the past and a QB of his caliber should be able to carry a team. Instead we get things like field goal fiascos and game sealing ints in games that matter.

He's the best qb the state of Texas has seen since Aikman retired

He's the best qb the state of Texas has seen since Aikman retired

Ah, team shots. Never gets old for you and your partner in crime huh. Well I'm going to enjoy my team's success and future while Romo keeps throwing interceptions and not making it to playoff games. Griffin and Foles are going to make sure he never gets to a Super Bowl in his career.

Ah, team shots. Never gets old for you and your partner in crime huh. Well I'm going to enjoy my team's success and future while Romo keeps throwing interceptions and not making it to playoff games. Griffin and Foles are going to make sure he never gets to a Super Bowl in his career.

What is the losing streak at? 14 games