Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kaep extends with 49ers

21isSuperman

Who do you want then? Flacco at 21 mil? Cutler? Romo? They are all in that range. I don't see the 18 mil as that much given any solid QB is going to cost you.

We agree. (It's a strange feeling...)

I'd rather have Kaep at his number than any of those guys at their numbers.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hypothetical 40m I drew up based on what I think Alex Smith is worth. and in my opinion they will pay for it.

I think your number is off, personally. According to the link below, Smith is asking for something like what Cutler got, which is $18m/year. If he gets it, you're probably talking about a difference of about $20m overall (and that overall number is probably pointless). Throw in that Smith made $6m more than Kaep last year, and it's even less.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/28/what-kind-of-deal-does-quarterback-alex-smith-deserve/

Who do you want then? Flacco at 21 mil? Cutler? Romo? They are all in that range. I don't see the 18 mil as that much given any solid QB is going to cost you.

None of the above. If GM's wanna keep overpaying non elite quarterbacks that's their problem.

None of the above. If GM's wanna keep overpaying non elite quarterbacks that's their problem.

You've heard of supply and demand, right? There's no "non elite but still really good" pay tier for NFL QBs at the moment. If you've spent several years helping develop a player, you want to reap the benefits yourself. Especially at QB.

And, bottom line, if your team doesn't pay it, someone else will. Supply and demand...

Look at the Texans. Matt Schaub isn't that good, but an average season from him in 2012 helps the Texans to a 12-4 record and the divisional round of the playoffs. He falls apart, and the Texans QB production falls off a cliff, and they lose 14 games in a row.

An above average, potentially franchise-level QB like Kaepernick, with a ton of upside, is very valuable to a team and it's prospects for the future.

The odds say that most players who sign these mega contracts won't finish them. Kaep might fall into that category. And maybe they could have waited until after 2014 to do this deal. But I think it fits, for the most part.

Then you can go and pay a lesser QB less money and not be as good. You have to pony up the dough for your best players sooner or later.

I'm not sure Kaepernick is as good as you think he is. People remember that the Niners made it to the NFC championship, but forget that Kaepernick was sub par for the majority of the season.

Ok. But still who do you want? Geno Smith? Carson Palmer? Any solid QB will command north of 15 mil. The only guys making less then that are bad QBs or guys on their rookie deals who will eventually get paid, i.e. Luck, Wilson.

I'm not sure Kaepernick is as good as you think he is. People remember that the Niners made it to the NFC championship, but forget that Kaepernick was sub par for the majority of the season.

He wasn't subpar. He had a couple of bad games, but he was mostly the same above average QB with the ability to make huge plays for his team all year. 

And again, he's only started 29 total games. It's not likely that he's a finished product. 

I don't think he's top 5, but to think he doesn't have the potential to live up to this contract is foolish. He wasn't really sub par for a majority of the season. A couple of games sure, but a majority of the season is a stretch. It's also worth noting the rate the salary cap is increasing each season deals like this won't be nearly as impactful as they might seem at the moment. 

You've heard of supply and demand, right? There's no "non elite but still really good" pay tier for NFL QBs at the moment. If you've spent several years helping develop a player, you want to reap the benefits yourself. Especially at QB.

And, bottom line, if your team doesn't pay it, someone else will. Supply and demand...

Golly no superman, I hadn't heard of supply and demand. I will google it to make sure I'm informed.

And if someone else wants to pay guys like Kaepernick and Flacco money they aren't worth, by all means, let them. Harbaugh has proven he can develop quarterbacks, just sign a vet and draft another QB with one of the 100 draft picks they have every year.

To everyone who says he's not worth the money or won't live up to the contract, how exactly do any of you know? Sure the chance of him living up the contract and what the majority of the public expect out of those who are paid that much aren't the highest, but it's not like it is set in stone he won't or can't live up to the contract. There's been players who have lived up to those high contracts and even exceeded their worth. I don't know if Kaepernick will be able to, but it seems silly to blindly say he can't/won't live up to the contract. Who knows what could happen in the next six years. 

Golly no superman, I hadn't heard of supply and demand. I will google it to make sure I'm informed.
And if someone else wants to pay guys like Kaepernick and Flacco money they aren't worth, by all means, let them. Harbaugh has proven he can develop quarterbacks, just sign a vet and draft another QB with one of the 100 draft picks they have every year.

Because every 3-4 years the 49ers will draft a QB that will perform better than the last QB until the end of time? You can't play that game forever. 

He wasn't subpar. He had a couple of bad games, but he was mostly the same above average QB with the ability to make huge plays for his team all year. 

And again, he's only started 29 total games. It's not likely that he's a finished product.

Ok, he had a couple bad games and a lot of mediocre games

This is a bad bad move. Kaep is not all that good to begin with.

Take away the Niners defense and they are a 3-13 team. Their defense kept them alive in the Saints game, and the few times their defense don't show up (or the opponent don't make a lot of mistakes) they get beat down into the ground.

S.F. trying to be a dominant passing team has not worked out very well to their advantage. Before Kaep, they were very heavy on the run and it worked for them. Not trying to air it out so much and just play ground and pound. When Kaep is not throwing it 30-40 times, they can be aggressive and very tough, but that don't happen often.

I do not see S.F. repeating the trend of winning 10 games every year. Would not be shocked if they wound up 8-8 next year.

To everyone who says he's not worth the money or won't live up to the contract, how exactly do any of you know? Sure the chance of him living up the contract and what the majority of the public expect out of those who are paid that much aren't the highest, but it's not like it is set in stone he won't or can't live up to the contract. There's been players who have lived up to those high contracts and even exceeded their worth. I don't know if Kaepernick will be able to, but it seems silly to blindly say he can't/won't live up to the contract. Who knows what could happen in the next six years. 

Because every 3-4 years the 49ers will draft a QB that will perform better than the last QB until the end of time? You can't play that game forever.

Um no, they find a QB who is worth that kind of pay. Look, I don't think he is as good as some on here think he is....big deal. I don't remember anybody having a problem when I said the same thing about Joe Flacco.

S.F.'s passing game was ranked 30th overall last year.

When you rank in the bottom 3 of passing, that isn't a very good sign for the future.

I could make the argument that he's overpaid, but then again all quarterbacks are overpaid in this league, just as all sports players in this country are incredibly overpaid just to play a game.

I don't think he's top 5, but to think he doesn't have the potential to live up to this contract is foolish. He wasn't really sub par for a majority of the season. A couple of games sure, but a majority of the season is a stretch. It's also worth noting the rate the salary cap is increasing each season deals like this won't be nearly as impactful as they might seem at the moment.

No more foolish than thinking he will

Careful, you got some of your sarcasm on me...

But the bolded part is kind of the point. Jim Harbaugh helped Alex Smith perform at a solid level in the pros, then got rid of him and went with Kaepernick. He's the guy Harbaugh wants, and Harbaugh is the guy who knows what it takes to play and develop a QB in the NFL. And every step of the way, Harbaugh has been hitting the stump for Kaep, including drafting him in 2011. This is Harbaugh's guy, and he doesn't believe he's just an average QB.

The Niners brain trust obviously has considerable faith in Kaepernick and his future potential. I kind of agree with them, because Kaepernick has shown a lot in his short time as a starter, and looks to have the ability to get even better. He's not just an average guy that, with good coaching and a strong team around him, can get you deep in the playoffs. You don't ditch him because you don't like the economics, otherwise you might as well get out of the business.

Flacco is a different story. I don't think he has the overall ability or upside Kaepernick does. Even Cutler, being older and incapable of staying healthy, and not having all the physical tools Kaepernick has, I'd be less enthusiastic about paying him like a franchise QB. But I think Kaepernick can go to another level, and take his team with him.

Um no, they find a QB who is worth that kind of pay. Look, I don't think he is as good as some on here think he is....big deal. I don't remember anybody having a problem when I said the same thing about Joe Flacco.

You really see him on the same level as Flacco?

Very few QBs are "worth that kind of pay". You don't know exactly for sure if they will live up to the contract, you never do when you sign them. Anything can happen once you pay them, they get hurt multiple times, they don't perform well, they have to retire due to career ending injury, they live up to the contract or their play and value exceeds what the contract is worth. At the end of the day you do not know. All they can do is hope that based of what they have seen from him and what they believe he can be that he will be able to live up to the contract. It is the same with any player you give a significant pay raise to. Hell, it's the same with any player period.

S.F.'s passing game was ranked 30th overall last year.

When you rank in the bottom 3 of passing, that isn't a very good sign for the future.

I could make the argument that he's overpaid, but then again all quarterbacks are overpaid in this league, just as all sports players in this country are incredibly overpaid just to play a game.

Because all Kapernick does is throw the ball....Yup. We're going to base this all off of their passing game and strictly that. 

Not sure they are that much different. Both were overrated early in their careers due to team success.

Wow. I think Kaep is still in the early part of his career and has gone to two title games and a SB. He is also as an explosive as a runner as we have ever seen since Vick from the pocket and he has a big arm. Flacco was really just the big arm with not much else. He also had a penchant for coming up small in the post season save for 2012 whereas Kaep has had a couple of monster games and strapped the niners to his back last year. Joe was always along for the ride IMO.

Very few QBs are "worth that kind of pay". You don't know exactly for sure if they will live up to the contract, you never do when you sign them. Anything can happen once you pay them, they get hurt multiple times, they don't perform well, they have to retire due to career ending injury, they live up to the contract or their play and value exceeds what the contract is worth. At the end of the day you do not know. All they can do is hope that based of what they have seen from him and what they believe he can be that he will be able to live up to the contract. It is the same with any player you give a significant pay raise to. Hell, it's the same with any player period.

Because all Kapernick does is throw the ball....Yup. We're going to base this all off of their passing game and strictly that.

Well duh. It's simply my opinion, from what I have seen from Kaepernick, that he won't become the QB you think he will. Doesn't mean I'm right.

Difference is I'm actually leaving the possibility he can live up to it or he won't live up to it. Some of you are dismissing his chances all together.

I didn't dismiss it. I simply said I don't think he is worth it. I don't know why who are having such a hard time with me having a difference of opinion. It's not like I disparaged the guy.

This is a bad bad move. Kaep is not all that good to begin with.

Take away the Niners defense and they are a 3-13 team. Their defense kept them alive in the Saints game, and the few times their defense don't show up (or the opponent don't make a lot of mistakes) they get beat down into the ground.

S.F. trying to be a dominant passing team has not worked out very well to their advantage. Before Kaep, they were very heavy on the run and it worked for them. Not trying to air it out so much and just play ground and pound. When Kaep is not throwing it 30-40 times, they can be aggressive and very tough, but that don't happen often.

I do not see S.F. repeating the trend of winning 10 games every year. Would not be shocked if they wound up 8-8 next year.

I think San Fran made a mistake trying to make Kaepernick more of a pocket passer because he much like Wilson is better when improvising.

Wow. These qb contracts keep getting bigger and bigger... and worse. Kaepernick is not worth big bucks.

You said it.  He has the potential, but I don't think a $100+ mil contract should be paid out on potential.  I wouldn't really care about the deal (if the 49ers want to give themselves a bad deal, please do), but its impacts on Luck's contract negotiations will be big

Not sure they are that much different. Both were overrated early in their careers due to team success.

Flacco had started more than twice as many games total as Kaep has, and his team was not reliant on his play for success. While he had shown a little more in the postseason in the last two years, Flacco wasn't the kind of talent Kaep is, and didn't/doesn't have the upside.

After five years of Flacco, and a Super Bowl win, and 29 starts from Kaep and a Super Bowl loss to Flacco's Ravens, I'd definitely take Kaep. IMO. That's not proof that he's worth $18-21m/year, but that's a separate conversation.

I didn't dismiss it. I simply said I don't think he is worth it. I don't know why who are having such a hard time with me having a difference of opinion. It's not like I disparaged the guy.

It's why I said some of you. Didn't say you specifically. Those who are flat out dismissing it know I'm talking to them.

I think San Fran made a mistake trying to make Kaepernick more of a pocket passer because he much like Wilson is better when improvising.

Defenses dictated that he pass more. I think it is only fair to also mention that his receiving corp suffered some injuries as well especially early in the season which hurt his passing production.

You said it.  He has the potential, but I don't think a $100+ mil contract should be paid out on potential.  I wouldn't really care about the deal (if the 49ers want to give themselves a bad deal, please do), but its impacts on Luck's contract negotiations will be big

Can't get too wrapped up in the overall number. The structure, along with the future cap, are what really matter.