Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kaep extends with 49ers

21isSuperman

Statistically that is incorrect

Not really. Schaub likes to throw pick sixes in the regular season, Andy in the playoffs. But this has nothing to do with Romo, or Kaepernick for that matter, Sooo...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. Schaub likes to throw pick sixes in the regular season, Andy in the playoffs. But this has nothing to do with Romo, or Kaepernick for that matter, Sooo...

I guess you didn't take a stastistics class in school

2 seasons two playoff appearances 1 playoff win

9 seasons two playoff appearances 1 playoff win

One is better than the other

I guess you didn't take a stastistics class in school

2 seasons two playoff appearances 1 playoff win

9 seasons two playoff appearances 1 playoff win

One is better than the other

If that's the case then Tom Brady is no doubt the uber quarterback of his generation. He owns Manning when it comes to postseason success.

Not as quick as a good qb

Well......Trent Dilfer did win the SB with a dominant defense......Rex Grossman got to the SB with very good defense, Colin Kaepernick....who is far overrated from a QB standpoint but a hell of an athlete and don't turn the ball over  to much has been in a SB , Ya just need a QB who isn't going to crack under pressure, Some GM's are hell bent seemingly on trying to overdraft a QB and  then expect him to carry the franchise when he should have been a mid round pick, Also some of those same mid to even late round picks are asked to lead there teams from day one with long deep passes instead of a coordinator fitting his offense around the players he has

They've won one game since like 1995 or so lol. Romo gets so many excuses thrown his way but he has had good teams in the past and a QB of his caliber should be able to carry a team. Instead we get things like field goal fiascos and game sealing ints in games that matter.

Yep

Ah, team shots. Never gets old for you and your partner in crime huh. Well I'm going to enjoy my team's success and future while Romo keeps throwing interceptions and not making it to playoff games. Griffin and Foles are going to make sure he never gets to a Super Bowl in his career.

Serious question - Who is the starting QB for texans this year?.

Serious question - Who is the starting QB for texans this year?.

It's anyone's guess but I think it will be Fitzpatrick. Case could push him in camp but he has a way to go as far as pocket awareness and getting through his progressions faster. In any case it is a new coach so he won't be playing favorites. The best man will play.

I disagree...and Trestman obviously did too otherwise he would have told the GM not to re-sign Jay....so I trust his own judgement over your lofty expectations of the guy....warranted as they do seem to be (I like Trestman too). I watch almost all the Bears games last year because I follow them to talk to my dad who was a huge Bears fan and McNown played out of mind...and got very lucky many times. He threw some balls that were in windows he has never thrown into and got bailed out a lot by Alshon and Brandon. I think that year was an anomoly for him..much like Nick Foyles year was to a degree. I disagree about Schaub...some of the throws required in the Bears offense...require arm strength that he simply doesn't possess....nor is his confidence to the point he can make them. I also think that Trestman sees something special he thinks he can get out of Jay as well...after all no one was crying for the Bears to bring him back after his injury...that was all Trestman.

And Trestman wouldn't be the first coach to overvalue a player.

Jeffery and Marshall didn't bail out McNown anymore than they bailed out Cutler....which was quite often.

Actually doesn't Peyton drive a Buick? At the point we were in 2010 with the injuries and what we came back with in 2011 it was truely amazing Peyton was able to drive that Buick into the playoffs...as Luck was in getting us in 2012. Peyton had to be excited to trade that Buick in for the Mustang or whatever he is driving now in Denver. Once he got at least 90% healthy he has really started making that engine purr...outside of that huge breakdown in the SB. Kaepernick has struggled at times but that offense isn't the same when Crabtree isn't on the field....and Davis got hurt at times too....Crabtree really helps that offense go....I really look for a healthy full year from him and Johnson coming in to really help Kaep progress. Its up to him to start reading the defenses now and making his progressions and not keying in on one guy. We shall see...but he has a huge upside...almost as much as Lucks I would say.

What does Manning have to do with the conversation?

Except for that fact that Luck has never thrown a pick six in the playoffs. Sooo....

Ah my mistake. Thought I remembered one against the Patriots but I guess not.

In the Pats game he threw a pick on the third play of the game and it was returned by Dennard to the two yard line. Blount scored on the next play. It was about as close to a pick six as you can get. ;)

In the Pats game he threw a pick on the third play of the game and it was returned by Dennard to the two yard line. Blount scored on the next play. It was about as close to a pick six as you can get. ;)

Darn....two more yards and I would've been right! haha

In the Pats game he threw a pick on the third play of the game and it was returned by Dennard to the two yard line. Blount scored on the next play. It was about as close to a pick six as you can get. ;)

Wouldn't the 1-yard line be as close as you can get?

Wouldn't the 1-yard line be as close as you can get?

Maybe the six inch line? When a RB can basically fall over from the line scrimmage and score you have thrown as close to a pick six as possible. That is pretty much all Blount had to do to cash in. That pick was Luck's worst of the game. Although the last one was pretty back too but at that point the game was over and he was forcing the ball.

Maybe the six inch line? When a RB can basically fall over from the line scrimmage and score you have thrown as close to a pick six as possible. That is pretty much all Blount had to do to cash in. That pick was Luck's worst of the game. Although the last one was pretty back too but at that point the game was over and he was forcing the ball.

Lol your post reminded me of that awkward touchdown Ahmad Bradshaw had in the SB against the Patriots when he kind of just fell into the endzone.

And Trestman wouldn't be the first coach to overvalue a player.

Jeffery and Marshall didn't bail out McNown anymore than they bailed out Cutler....which was quite often.

I agree those guys bail out both qbs but I just think Cutler is a good fit moving forward for a team that would couldn't rebuild with a 35 yr old qb...Cutler is in his prime and has all the tools Trestman could want in a qb as far as physical...he just needs the mental...and hopefully Trestman can handle that.

What does Manning have to do with the conversation?

It was that Peyton does Buick commercials..and Luck took over Peyton's team (a buick because we were reffering to teams as cars and how average the rest of the team had become)....and Kaep took over a sports car because it was ready to win. I will say though that as far as receivers and offense goes Andrew wasn't left bare as far as the cubboard goes. Reggie and TY and Allen and Fleener and our running backs are all pretty solid...we have given him quite a bit to work with but definately not the OL that Kaep has in SF. Kaep has a better running game to lean on for sure...but he has lacked some talent at wr with Crabtree being hurt a lot and Boldin isn't the same Boldin since coming over...he really has only had one significant target in Davis over the past couple years.  I will say its pretty clear who is more advanced though as Kaep still needs to work reading defenses....so when we look at contracts...Luck will likely be the highest paid player in the league when his is due.

That was a terrible pick. We had to play from behind from there and you can't spot Tom Brady points. That said Tom didn't have to do much in that game...our tackling was horrid and we couldn't get off blocks...the Pats could have done whatever they wanted in that game...we were powerless to stop them. It was a bad pick...you don't often come back from 1 of those against Belichek and Brady..much less 3 or 4. I remember 06 when Peyton threw that pick 6 to Sammuel...I thought we were done...it took basically one of the best halves of football for us to over come that...we got exposed...last year vs the Pats. Hopefully we have done enough on defense to remedy that...and hopefully we never have to ask Luck to chuck it around like he did against the Cheifs and Pats again either.

That was a terrible pick. We had to play from behind from there and you can't spot Tom Brady points. That said Tom didn't have to do much in that game...our tackling was horrid and we couldn't get off blocks...the Pats could have done whatever they wanted in that game...we were powerless to stop them. It was a bad pick...you don't often come back from 1 of those against Belichek and Brady..much less 3 or 4. I remember 06 when Peyton threw that pick 6 to Sammuel...I thought we were done...it took basically one of the best halves of football for us to over come that...we got exposed...last year vs the Pats. Hopefully we have done enough on defense to remedy that...and hopefully we never have to ask Luck to chuck it around like he did against the Cheifs and Pats again either.

Yeah, TOs are tough especially in the post-season. The good teams always make you pay for that.

I can't quite figure out what Pagano is doing with Luck. He obviously wanted to have a power run game last year that was side tracked because of injury and then Wayne went down but Pagano really did let Luck loose until the playoffs. I also am not sure why they don't have more designed runs for him the way the niners do with Kaep and the Skins with RG. He is a smart guy and will get down. I think his athleticism has been under untilized but also realize the Colts are still rebuilding but their O seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. For sure they have the weapons this upcoming season. Not sure about the secondary though. What do you think?

Yeah, TOs are tough especially in the post-season. The good teams always make you pay for that.

I can't quite figure out what Pagano is doing with Luck. He obviously wanted to have a power run game last year that was side tracked because of injury and then Wayne went down but Pagano really did let Luck loose until the playoffs. I also am not sure why they don't have more designed runs for him the way the niners do with Kaep and the Skins with RG. He is a smart guy and will get down. I think his athleticism has been under untilized but also realize the Colts are still rebuilding but their O seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. For sure they have the weapons this upcoming season. Not sure about the secondary though. What do you think?

I think they trust Luck to run when its necessary...but he keeps his eyes down field to hit open receivers. Luck knows that you may gain a few yds running but if you give receivers like TY time to get loose....big plays can happen if you hang on long enough....you take some sacks but you make things happen...ala Big Ben. I would like to see Luck scamper a bit more on 3rd down if he has a first down run...but I don't want any called runs outside a few bootlegs in special circumstances...maybe a draw down on the goal line. Personally I like how he uses his mobility...to extend plays...not sure I want to risk him out of the pocket a whole lot.

As for our power run etc....I think Pagano just wants to be balanced. He says smash mouth power game to put a mindset into his line that we are going to be physical...but we just don't have the line to do it really. I think we would like to run the ball to set up the pass...control clock and put us in favorable down and distances to throw or run...be unpredictable....but mostly the power thing I think is to set a tone...a mindset....not so much to be a primary running team but be a team that runs hard and wins at the line of scrimmage when we do run. I think we all recognize that Andrew still has some learning to do with recognizing coverages and he still has issues with his accuracy at times....especially over throws when he is trying to fit it into windows. I know people on here think Luck is ready to be an elite qb in the league but he still has quite a bit of growing to do...and he is doing it...and he will be elite if he continues on this path...but even at Stanford he let throws get away....he would miss things and throw some bad ints. I don't think he is ever going to be that clean type of qb like Brady that doesn't make mistakes. He has more Peyton than Tom in him imo. Tom to me has always been more clinical...took less chances and always had a cleaner stat sheet than Peyton. I'm not sure Andrew will ever be that guy. He does like to push it down the field..and he tries to put the ball in small windows sometimes. I like Andrew a lot but as we saw his rookie year and with last post-season...if you ask him to carry us totally....he will make mistakes trying to make things happen. Maybe in a few more years he will get to that point where he can consistantly give that Brady/Rodgers performance...where he controls the game with his arm and can keep the stat sheet clean.

If that's the case then Tom Brady is no doubt the uber quarterback of his generation. He owns Manning when it comes to postseason success.

Maybe with more overall wins. But, I have to give credit to Manning since he has out played Brady more head to head in AFC title games now. Brady IMO has been pretty horrid in some title games.

Maybe with more overall wins. But, I have to give credit to Manning since he has out played Brady more head to head in AFC title games now. Brady IMO has been pretty horrid in some title games.

True, but I was just going off of Jvan's logic about the correlation in years to wins being an indicator of superiority. Manning has beat Tom in the playoffs ever since that first SB year if I'm not mistaken. Tom still has the hardware though lol.

I agree those guys bail out both qbs but I just think Cutler is a good fit moving forward for a team that would couldn't rebuild with a 35 yr old qb...Cutler is in his prime and has all the tools Trestman could want in a qb as far as physical...he just needs the mental...and hopefully Trestman can handle that.

It was that Peyton does Buick commercials..and Luck took over Peyton's team (a buick because we were reffering to teams as cars and how average the rest of the team had become)....and Kaep took over a sports car because it was ready to win. I will say though that as far as receivers and offense goes Andrew wasn't left bare as far as the cubboard goes. Reggie and TY and Allen and Fleener and our running backs are all pretty solid...we have given him quite a bit to work with but definately not the OL that Kaep has in SF. Kaep has a better running game to lean on for sure...but he has lacked some talent at wr with Crabtree being hurt a lot and Boldin isn't the same Boldin since coming over...he really has only had one significant target in Davis over the past couple years.  I will say its pretty clear who is more advanced though as Kaep still needs to work reading defenses....so when we look at contracts...Luck will likely be the highest paid player in the league when his is due.

Oh, duh.....I didn't make the connection lol

I think they trust Luck to run when its necessary...but he keeps his eyes down field to hit open receivers. Luck knows that you may gain a few yds running but if you give receivers like TY time to get loose....big plays can happen if you hang on long enough....you take some sacks but you make things happen...ala Big Ben. I would like to see Luck scamper a bit more on 3rd down if he has a first down run...but I don't want any called runs outside a few bootlegs in special circumstances...maybe a draw down on the goal line. Personally I like how he uses his mobility...to extend plays...not sure I want to risk him out of the pocket a whole lot.

As for our power run etc....I think Pagano just wants to be balanced. He says smash mouth power game to put a mindset into his line that we are going to be physical...but we just don't have the line to do it really. I think we would like to run the ball to set up the pass...control clock and put us in favorable down and distances to throw or run...be unpredictable....but mostly the power thing I think is to set a tone...a mindset....not so much to be a primary running team but be a team that runs hard and wins at the line of scrimmage when we do run. I think we all recognize that Andrew still has some learning to do with recognizing coverages and he still has issues with his accuracy at times....especially over throws when he is trying to fit it into windows. I know people on here think Luck is ready to be an elite qb in the league but he still has quite a bit of growing to do...and he is doing it...and he will be elite if he continues on this path...but even at Stanford he let throws get away....he would miss things and throw some bad ints. I don't think he is ever going to be that clean type of qb like Brady that doesn't make mistakes. He has more Peyton than Tom in him imo. Tom to me has always been more clinical...took less chances and always had a cleaner stat sheet than Peyton. I'm not sure Andrew will ever be that guy. He does like to push it down the field..and he tries to put the ball in small windows sometimes. I like Andrew a lot but as we saw his rookie year and with last post-season...if you ask him to carry us totally....he will make mistakes trying to make things happen. Maybe in a few more years he will get to that point where he can consistantly give that Brady/Rodgers performance...where he controls the game with his arm and can keep the stat sheet clean.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I think the Colts would be better if they ran an O similar to the Chargers. Short drops and passes, power run game with a scat back in Woodhead who can also catch and then take your shots deep when they are there.

Colin Kaepernick < Aaron Brooks.

Actually this comparison isn't too far off cause that's who he reminds me of more than anything and I liked Brooks when everyone hated him. But really, he only had that one good season (or two to be honest) and he was average for the rest of his career. Take away Duece and he wasn't nothing at all. Kinda like how Kaep struggles hard when a team can shut down Frank Gore.

The Niners have a lot of problems with that offense. Most of it is to due the fact that they've strayed away from their original ground and pound scheme that worked very well a few years ago when they weren't trying to rack up stats in the passing game. As soon as Kaepernick looked like Superman, they started airing it out more and more and more. In the SB, this was their fatal mistake that blew it. Gore broke that 30 yard run and got to the red zone, and then they called 4 straight passing plays, instead of handing the rock to the guy that got you there.

Colin Kaepernick < Aaron Brooks.

Actually this comparison isn't too far off cause that's who he reminds me of more than anything and I liked Brooks when everyone hated him. But really, he only had that one good season (or two to be honest) and he was average for the rest of his career. Take away Duece and he wasn't nothing at all. Kinda like how Kaep struggles hard when a team can shut down Frank Gore.

The Niners have a lot of problems with that offense. Most of it is to due the fact that they've strayed away from their original ground and pound scheme that worked very well a few years ago when they weren't trying to rack up stats in the passing game. As soon as Kaepernick looked like Superman, they started airing it out more and more and more. In the SB, this was their fatal mistake that blew it. Gore broke that 30 yard run and got to the red zone, and then they called 4 straight passing plays, instead of handing the rock to the guy that got you there.

The niners had more rushing attempts then pass attempts last year then in 2011 when Smith was the QB. So they are not passing it more but when they do pass they are throwing more down field because Kaep has big arm. I think like any team they have to find the right balance. And Kaep struggled when he was missing his top two targets in Davis and Crabtree as opposed to Gore. I agree about the SB though, have to give the rock to Gore down there or let Kaep run it in. Four passes were the worst play calls in a SB that I can remember when the game was on the line.

The niners had more rushing attempts then pass attempts last year then in 2011 when Smith was the QB. So they are not passing it more but when they do pass they are throwing more down field because Kaep has big arm. I think like any team they have to find the right balance. And Kaep struggled when he was missing his top two targets in Davis and Crabtree as opposed to Gore. I agree about the SB though, have to give the rock to Gore down there or let Kaep run it in. Four passes were the worst play calls in a SB that I can remember when the game was on the line.

Keapernick still threw 416 attempts, and that is crazy numbers for a team that runs the ball a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I think the Colts would be better if they ran an O similar to the Chargers. Short drops and passes, power run game with a scat back in Woodhead who can also catch and then take your shots deep when they are there.

I think the Colts actually should try to run something like New England did a couple years ago with the two TEs. I know Allen isn't as athletic as Hernandez but there are plenty of two TE sets we could run....I wouldn't even mind a couple empty backfield sets and motion Allen back to block and release or even motion in TY for some quick reverses ect. I don't know what to expect from Reggie after his injury but if he can come back the Reggie of old....and we get a motivated Nicks.....dang..we have a lot of talent on the outside with those TEs. Rotating fresh legs in with Moncrief and then having Trent back there it will be hard for other teams to stack the box and key on him. I would like to get away from the power lead blocking running game....if they want to have Allen do that from time to time ok...but no more FB business. Spread teams out give Trent room to run and make teams cover our physical big receivers like Nicks, Coby, and Allen...with TY blazing on crossing routes and deep double moves. To me the offense comes down a bunch to our OL. If they can keep Luck upright...and open enough holes to gain Trent some confidence....we should have a top 5 offense. Considering our schedule....no reason we can't compete for a bye. Even though Denver is better this year on paper...I can't see them winning as many games as last year....and us and NE should be better than almost every team we face this year.  I hear what you are saying about the quick passes...and it works very well for Tom and Peyton...but Andrew has the arm and legs to buy time and make bigger plays. While we have some great targets no one outside TY is a take it to the house kind of guy. I just don't think we have the same type guys that say Denver has that can take a wr screen the distance or dominate a defender...we also don't have those smaller shifty guys say like Amendola, Welker, or Edelman that catch those short passes and eat up chunks of yards. Mostly we don't have a qb yet that is as accurate as Tom or Peyton and can read defenses that fast on the go and before hand that knows where to deliver the ball before the snap. That takes time....lots of it. Right now we have more a traditional pocket qb that can move around and buy time but needs it to make his reads....he will probably get there someday...he is very smart and always learning...but he just isn't on Tom or Peytons level to make those decision in nano-seconds and deliver and accurate quick strike like them....not many can. I think Andrew is more on the path of an Aaron Rodgers...and thats fine by me.