Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Nicks signing

BProland85

It gives the Colts the option to go best player available on defense with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. I still expect another OG or C signing. Grigson likes experienced players on the OL since they are already developed. With that said, I hope our picks are as follows...

2nd- OLB Marcus Smith

3rd- FS Dion Bailey/CB Victor Hampton

It gives the Colts the option to go best player available on defense with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. I still expect another OG or C signing. Grigson likes experienced players on the OL since they are already developed. With that said, I hope our picks are as follows...

2nd- OLB Marcus Smith

3rd- FS Dion Bailey/CB Victor Hampton

Second: Stanley Jean-Baptiste- Nebraska

Third: Kenny Ladler- Vanderbilt

I'm not personally sold on Bailey and I really want Ladler, but the 3rd might be too early for him.

They may still go WR in the second...it was only a 1 yr contract...its a long shot but if a difference maker is there he won't pass on them. Maybe Grigs knows something we don't...like maybe Wayne's recovery is going a little slow.

I'm all for pass rusher early, but I would not argue with getting first round WR talent in the second.  But there better be a clear distinction between the level of talent we'd be getting at WR and the OLB choice.  If no OLB of good value is there in the 2nd, 1st round WR talent would be a good option. 

Nicks signing is insurance against a poor Wayne recovery.  Gives us at least two known threats in the passing game and time to see how Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen develop.  Good signing.

How are they going to develop.  They will not be getting the snaps they need, because the starters will be Reggie, Nicks and TY.  IMO, this was a bad signing and sets our WR corps back.

How are they going to develop. They will not be getting the snaps they need, because the starters will be Reggie, Nicks and TY. IMO, this was a bad signing and sets our WR corps back.

With you thinking it was bad, I've never been more confident it wasn't.

How are they going to develop.  They will not be getting the snaps they need, because the starters will be Reggie, Nicks and TY. 

Well...it give the FO more time to evaluate them before having to rely upon them too much.  But likely one will be cut too.

They may still go WR in the second...it was only a 1 yr contract...its a long shot but if a difference maker is there he won't pass on them. Maybe Grigs knows something we don't...like maybe Wayne's recovery is going a little slow.

That would be a waste and there's minimal chance of that happening. Unless a Marqise Lee, Kelvin Benjamin type of talent fall to us in the 2nd I cant see us taking a WR.

I definitely see your point, but in 2015 we have draft a WR with our 1st round pick, like we did with Wayne. And we got Rogers coming up who looks a lot like Nicks physically and talent wise. Could be our future number one opposite Hilton.

We have so many more pressing needs right now.

A WR in the second round seems completely out of the question to me with the Nicks signing. With Reggie, Nicks and T.Y. we're set and have good depth with Rogers, Whalen and Brazil. The only way I see that happening is if Reggie doesn't recover AND there's someone there, that's simply to good to pass on. Even if Reggie doesn't recover, I would imagine picking a WR would be later in the draft.

Depending on what happens in the remaining FA, a Safety or BPA on defense seems more likely to me in the second and third round.

Even before the Nicks signing i didn't think we would draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. We still have plenty of needs on the defensive side of the ball. Toler not being able to stay healthy is a major concern and we also need a pass rusher. I think Howell will go into training camp as the starting FS but we still need a safety for depth. For the draft this is who i would go with.

2nd: Keith Mcgill CB

3rd: Jeremiah Attaochu OLB  

5th: Kenny Ladler FS

I'm all for pass rusher early, but I would not argue with getting first round WR talent in the second.  But there better be a clear distinction between the level of talent we'd be getting at WR and the OLB choice.  If no OLB of good value is there in the 2nd, 1st round WR talent would be a good option. 

It would be a long shot to go WR...but we will take BPA...but its a long way to go til then and see how we finish off this roster with FA...but I imagine we take long hard look at S and OLB....sure.

Zero chance he goes WR. He knows he can`t trust Brazill or Rogers yet.

How are they going to develop.  They will not be getting the snaps they need, because the starters will be Reggie, Nicks and TY.  IMO, this was a bad signing and sets our WR corps back.

We are obviously in a "win now" mode and you want three guys with raw talent taking snaps all day long? Go ask the Panthers how badly they would like to have Nicks right now and tell me this was a bad move for our team.

Current Panthers WRs UNDER CONTRACT who had at least one reception in the regular season last year... ZERO!

Yeah, your right... We should have passed on Nicks... How silly of Grigson to bolster our team and make it a brighter beacon for future free agents and rookies...  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Well...it give the FO more time to evaluate them before having to rely upon them too much.  But likely one will be cut too.

How do you evaluate them if they do not have game time.  I understand that some evaluation is done during practice, but I have seen people that could do well in practice and collapse under game pressure.  they need the game experience.

We are obviously in a "win now" mode and you want three guys with raw talent taking snaps all day long? Go ask the Panthers how badly they would like to have Nicks right now and tell me this was a bad move for our team.

Current Panthers WRs UNDER CONTRACT who had at least one reception in the regular season last year... ZERO!

Yeah, your right... We should have passed on Nicks... How silly of Grigson to bolster our team and make it a brighter beacon for future free agents and rookies...  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

If Nicks does like last year, then it was a waste and Grigson accomplished nothing.  Our own WRs were stepping up last year, so why not give them a chance.  They earned it.

As for the Panthers, they are trying to become a winning team, while we are there.

How are they going to develop. They will not be getting the snaps they need, because the starters will be Reggie, Nicks and TY. IMO, this was a bad signing and sets our WR corps back.

Building for the future is what teams say when they have a lot of building to do to be competitive. We are there now and I would rather have Hicks help us now than playing against us. A bad signing? Hardly.

Building for the future is what teams say when they have a lot of building to do to be competitive. We are there now and I would rather have Hicks help us now than playing against us. A bad signing? Hardly.

Then why draft and bring in UDFA to continue your future.  Nicks, IMO, was bad because of his injury problems and the fact that our own young WRs stepped up last year.  So why not give them a chance to show what they can do and not take chances that Nicks will be around to perform ( is reason I did not Bradshaw back).

Then why draft and bring in UDFA to continue your future.  Nicks, IMO, was bad because of his injury problems and the fact that our own young WRs stepped up last year.  So why not give them a chance to show what they can do and not take chances that Nicks will be around to perform ( is reason I did not Bradshaw back).

No problem - we probably mostly agree except in the FA approach. I am not sold on a Grif, Brazill, nor D'Rick as consistent performers; I am on Nicks. With Vic and TRich, I'm not so concerned about Bradshaw (except he likely will not be playing Special Teams).

They will get a lot of play in pre-season and they are learning from three good receivers.. Plus if someone goes down, they will be ready.

They will get a lot of play in pre-season and they are learning from three good receivers.. Plus if someone goes down, they will be ready.

Maybe, Nicks will see the majority of snaps to learn the playbook and develop timing with Luck, so does not leave the others many snaps.

Do you seriously think they are not going to play!? Everyone is going to get playing time! Pep will rotate guys around! Also injuries will occur...

Apparently everyone in the world doesn't realize people can get injured in football! Amazing after last season... haha

No problem - we probably mostly agree except in the FA approach. I am not sold on a Grif, Brazill, nor D'Rick as consistent performers; I am on Nicks. With Vic and TRich, I'm not so concerned about Bradshaw (except he likely will not be playing Special Teams).

I'm not sold on Nicks staying healthy either

Do you seriously think they are not going to play!? Everyone is going to get playing time! Pep will rotate guys around! Also injuries will occur...

Apparently everyone in the world doesn't realize people can get injured in football! Amazing after last season... haha

I just don't like bringing in people who constantly hurt.  Sets team back.. 

I don't see how people are concluding there is a 0% chance we draft wide receiver. TY is the only sure thing ... Reggie is coming off an injury and who knows how long he has left; Nicks is a question mark as well at this point; Darick has shown flashes but is a big ?; Whalen and Brazil are mediocre depth that really would not have a bearing on whether we draft a WR early.

Depending on who is there I think we definitely still have to consider WR an option.

How do you evaluate them if they do not have game time.  I understand that some evaluation is done during practice, but I have seen people that could do well in practice and collapse under game pressure.  they need the game experience.

The #4 and 5 receivers got time last year.  They'll get game time next year too, just not as much probably.  And all three backups were either a 5th round choice or UDFA.  They're not going to be pro bowlers any time soon.  Its good to sign Nicks as an upgrade to the starting position and let the youngsters get their time when they can. 

I just don't like bringing in people who constantly hurt. Sets team back..

I get what your saying.... But the Nicks move Atleast I feel won't set the team back at all! Because if he does get hurt then the younger recievers will get even MORE work than they already will get! The Colts do a good enough job of switching players in and out anyway. Hopefully the Nicks move will Atleast give Reggie or T.Y. a rest if they need one and can still bring in ANOTHER upcoming talented reciever like Rogers! I'm excited for this whole receiving core.. Only one it might effect is Whalen but he will still be a valuable part of the team I believe..