Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vince Wilfork being released

Legend of Luck

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/13/vince-wilfork-asks-to-be-released-by-new-england-patriots/

It says lots of teams will be interested. I saw the figure ten on another article but I can't remember where. I'll try to find it too. But they seem to be there will be a real demand for him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vince Wilfork.  He's really the only Patriot player who didn't make me scowl when I'd see them.  But he's a very large man coming off a very serious injury and was showing signs prior to getting hurt that age was getting to him.  That's way too much money to spend on a guy who is a very serious risk.

I can say for certain, he'd make the locker room better.  There's no better person in the NFL and his family is great in the community.  But you can't pay a guy for that if he can't play.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my opinion, we should not get him because he is old, we don't really need him, and he would probably not be so reliable coming off any injury.

What do you mean we don't need him. That weakness we have at nose tackle is why teams run all over the Colts. Wilfork would have to pass a physical and I assume he already has. I would sure rather seem them throw some $ at him than the fortune they are consider on a center. No center is worth what it will take to get Mack. Draft one.

I'm assuming Wilfork will want to be paid a salary of a starting all-pro NT....when at this point in his career given his age and injury he is will not play the snaps to warrant that. If he was willing to come in on a 1 or 2 yr contract for 4 mi yr that would be one thing...but he likely will want something closer to the 7 to 8 range....I don't think we could afford that. He would be a monster on our DL though. Even a 80% Wilfork is better than 100% Chapman or anything else we have...heck he is probably better than Chapman plus RJF at the same time. Never seen guys take on double teams and still win as regularly as he did.

What do you mean we don't need him. That weakness we have at nose tackle is why teams run all over the Colts. Wilfork would have to pass a physical and I assume he already has. I would sure rather seem them throw some $ at him than the fortune they are consider on a center. No center is worth what it will take to get Mack. Draft one.

I'd argue our inability to stop the run is mostly on the subpar linebacker play.

Not one mention of Montori Hughes by any poster here... Wilfork I wouldn't mind as long as he was on a very generous contract - to the Colts. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Montori isn't flexed between DE and NT more this season. The limited snaps he got at NT this year were very promising and I would like to see him get a little more time in that position. I think they may find another guy to bring in as the 3rd guy in that rotation behind Chapman and Hughes, but I have to believe it will be someone late in the draft or someone that went undrafted.

The title of this thread is misleading. He is not being released. He has asked for his release because he does not want to restructure his contract. He has a base salary of $7.5 million with a cap hit of $11.6 million(per nfl.com). 

It is an interesting situation because Willfork can't afford to sit out due to his age and the patriots can't afford to pay him. So my question to you cap gurus.... If they oblige him and release him they save $7.5 and eat $4.1 this year in cap space? I would look for the patriots to try shopping around for a trade for someone else to eat his contract. So I think our chances are slim to get him.

No. And just because he asked does not mean the Pats have to do it. 

This is a great point. They may not even do it. He may call their bluff. That said I think they want to add some receiver help and they don't see Wilfork as a solution moving forward to remedy the 30th ranked rush defense..so I think he gets cut...but they wait til the good teams use up their cap space and then give him few options outside the Oaklands of the world to sign him. Or since they landed Revis they may think they are all in to win so they keep him. Who knows. What I do know is there is a better chance he stays in NE (which is small) than he comes to us (even smaller).

This is a great point. They may not even do it. He may call their bluff. That said I think they want to add some receiver help and they don't see Wilfork as a solution moving forward to remedy the 30th ranked rush defense..so I think he gets cut...but they wait til the good teams use up their cap space and then give him few options outside the Oaklands of the world to sign him. Or since they landed Revis they may think they are all in to win so they keep him. Who knows. What I do know is there is a better chance he stays in NE (which is small) than he comes to us (even smaller).

Yes. They would be smart to hold him. He is asking now so he has a team to sign with. The closer to the draft, the less options for DTs.

Yes. They would be smart to hold him. He is asking now so he has a team to sign with. The closer to the draft, the less options for DTs.

This is how NE operates....they also know the longer they hold him the less chance he can get more than what they will offer him and force him to restructure..NE is very ruthless....which is why I always wonder why a player would sign there without the guaranteed cash because you know their history of how they treat their vets. They are a SB contender so I know if you want a ring its a good place to go but man their history of running people out is legendary.

This is how NE operates....they also know the longer they hold him the less chance he can get more than what they will offer him and force him to restructure..NE is very ruthless....which is why I always wonder why a player would sign there without the guaranteed cash because you know their history of how they treat their vets. They are a SB contender so I know if you want a ring its a good place to go but man their history of running people out is legendary.

I really don't think NE operates all that different from other teams when it comes to dealing with aging vets. Most teams ask aging vets to restructure or release them. That is just sound football operations. I think with the Pats, they might move on from players a little quicker then other teams as they will let a player go who maybe has 1-2 good seasons left, i.e. Welker but part of being successful is to know when to change a winning hand. This is in large part why they have been contending for so long. And don't forget they have had a slew of players that have retired with them over the years, Bruschi, Brown, Faulk, etc.

If you get a player like that, change the damn scheme for a couple of years and make it work for you. So far, our NTs are pitiful.

Franklin was underwhelming, but Chapman is far from pitiful.  

He is going to get lots of offers. We have our center now so we don't have to worry about that.  ;)

I would rather spend more money on a better center like EDS or BDLP...even Mack if necessary, rather than spending money on a NT/DT who may have a couple of more good years in him.

No way I'm cutting redding..

RJF you gotta go man!

RJF isn't going anywhere.  People really need to let this go.

Teams did run more up the middle when Franklin was on the field, but Chapman played well for the most part plugging up the middle when he was in.

I'd argue our inability to stop the run is mostly on the subpar linebacker play.

I would agree with you

Because we already have three good defensive lineman: Fili Moala, Arthur Jones, and Cory Redding

Because we already have three good defensive lineman: Fili Moala, Arthur Jones, and Cory Redding

Moala is not a good lineman at all. Arthur Jones is adequate but nothing extraordinary. Cory Redding has seen his best days. Wilfork is a nose tackle. Sign him and your defense will move up a dozen spots in the defense ratings this year. Yes, he is only good for a year or two but we should be all in to win right now before that big contract of Luck's takes us out of the free agent market altogether. Also, you had two of those three linemen last year and the Colts were hopeless at stopping the run. Wilfork will stop a lot of that before they get to the linebackers. He will also make those three players you mention a whole lot better because he is just about unblockable.

Moala is not a good lineman at all. Arthur Jones is adequate but nothing extraordinary. Cory Redding has seen his best days. Wilfork is a nose tackle. Sign him and your defense will move up a dozen spots in the defense ratings this year. Yes, he is only good for a year or two but we should be all in to win right now before that big contract of Luck's takes us out of the free agent market altogether. Also, you had two of those three linemen last year and the Colts were hopeless at stopping the run. Wilfork will stop a lot of that before they get to the linebackers. He will also make those three players you mention a whole lot better because he is just about unblockable.

Nose Guard. My mind is not functioning well this morning.

Yeah good point, he would be good to have to clog up the middle.  Although he would be good, I doubt we would get him.

Moala is not a good lineman at all. Arthur Jones is adequate but nothing extraordinary. Cory Redding has seen his best days. Wilfork is a nose tackle. Sign him and your defense will move up a dozen spots in the defense ratings this year. Yes, he is only good for a year or two but we should be all in to win right now before that big contract of Luck's takes us out of the free agent market altogether. Also, you had two of those three linemen last year and the Colts were hopeless at stopping the run. Wilfork will stop a lot of that before they get to the linebackers. He will also make those three players you mention a whole lot better because he is just about unblockable.

he is only five months removed from tearing his Achilles, no one knows what he will be able to do. How does your logic with Reggie not apply to Wilfork..

he is only five months removed from tearing his Achilles, no one knows what he will be able to do. How does your logic with Reggie not apply to Wilfork..

Reggie is much older. Wilfork doesn't need speed to play and be effective. There is a risk on both of them. The reward on Wilfork is that you are getting the best nose tackle in the business and perhaps the best ever. The Colts offense will be good with or without Reggie. Adding Wilfork  will put in the defense in the top ten and that is a huge impact.

Reggie is much older. Wilfork doesn't need speed to play and be effective. There is a risk on both of them. The reward on Wilfork is that you are getting the best nose tackle in the business and perhaps the best ever. The Colts offense will be good with or without Reggie. Adding Wilfork will put in the defense in the top ten and that is a huge impact.

400lbs and an achillis injury, no thanks

400lbs and an achillis injury, no thanks

350 and who knows if he will even be available. Every 3-4 team in the NFL will be interested if the Pats release him and that includes the Colts. This guy would have a huge impact on our defense. He would have to pass a physical, of course.

350 and who knows if he will even be available. Every 3-4 team in the NFL will be interested if the Pats release him and that includes the Colts. This guy would have a huge impact on our defense. He would have to pass a physical, of course.

350 in the press book maybe. Also i have a feeling he won't be passing a physical anytime soon. I wouldn't be upset if they bright him in on a cheap contract, but he won't do that i don't think

350 in the press book maybe. Also i have a feeling he won't be passing a physical anytime soon. I wouldn't be upset if they bright him in on a cheap contract, but he won't do that i don't think

No, he wouldn't but he will be in shape and ready to play by training camp. If he doesn't pass the physical, there is no deal. He has not had a history of injuries. He does have a history of being a big load as a nose tackle and he had done a lot of that to the Colts. Besides, if they release him and I'm not sure they will, you take a big (pardon the pun) bite out of one of teams standing in your way to the Super Bowl and you keep someone else from getting him.

Maybe his little feelings are hurt after 10 years they want him to redo his contract. Really he should take one for the team and restructure. Brady did it plenty of times. So....would he actually sign a cheaper contract if he won't restructure for tha pats?