Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL Jack Mewhort Ohio State

I just found out about him today watching a video on NFL.com never heard of him before but Mayock said that he is a versatile guy he plays tackle but and went to the combine and played tackle and offensive guard and at his pro day that had him playing center now mayock said hes a mid to late 2 round pick he I fell like our o-line could use this versatility and he could be a great draft choice heres the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331937/article/mayock-hyde-shazier-solidify-firstround-status-in-nfl-draft

• 2 months later...

I just found out about him today watching a video on NFL.com never heard of him before but Mayock said that he is a versatile guy he plays tackle but and went to the combine and played tackle and offensive guard and at his pro day that had him playing center now mayock said hes a mid to late 2 round pick he I fell like our o-line could use this versatility and he could be a great draft choice heres the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331937/article/mayock-hyde-shazier-solidify-firstround-status-in-nfl-draft

i'm impressed

I'm starting to warm up to Jack.  He is battle tested and just because the word versatile is attached to his name doesn't necessarily mean that he can't grow into a dominant force at one position while being proficient at others.

In fact, combined with Nixon and Thomas the Colts O-line is going to be quite flexible. 

As a franchise we addressed maybe not the most popular position, but in terms of protecting the franchise (Luck) this pick is far beyond justifiable.  I remember way too many times last season where Luck was In serious danger of getting hurt. 

With Dwayne Allen's return I expect our power-set to be greatly improved.  This will help Trent as well.

Also, in an indirect way our receivers will benefit too. 

To improve protection is a win-win-win situation depending on one's perception.  You really can't argue that.

Except that he doesn't.

Mewhort was announced by the NFL as a guard.     That came from the Colts, because Mewhort played tackle last year at tOSU.

I think that could just be because it's by far the most realistic spot where he cracks the lineup this year and next, simply because we're set at tackle. I'd add though, that I wouldn't be surprised if he was the starting RT by 2016.

I think that could just be because it's by far the most realistic spot where he cracks the lineup this year and next, simply because we're set at tackle. I'd add though, that I wouldn't be surprised if he was the starting RT by 2016.

Completely agree.

I said before the draft that if we drafted an OL with our 2nd round pick it was a red flag that something was not right with one of our lineman.    A guy like Mewhort can step in and replace almost anyone. 

Considering Grigson revealed that Thomas suffered not one,  but two serious injuries in the game where he was hurt and that he's not yet cleared for activity, I'm expecting Mewhort could be our starting LG at the start of the season.

I hope that's not the case,  but for now, that's what I think will happen.....

Lets just hope he makes an impact somewhere

Except that he doesn't.

Mewhort was announced by the NFL as a guard.     That came from the Colts, because Mewhort played tackle last year at tOSU.

How, exactly does that mean Grigs doesn't agree with the OP?  The OP didn't say anything about Mewhort playing tackle, actually he(or she) mentions that Mewhort was tried out at guard and center and felt the Colts could use that type of versatility on the oline and that picking him with the 59th pick seemed like a good idea.

And low and behold the Colts liked his versatility and used the 59th pick to draft him.

How, exactly does that mean Grigs doesn't agree with the OP?  The OP didn't say anything about Mewhort playing tackle, actually he(or she) mentions that Mewhort was tried out at guard and center and felt the Colts could use that type of versatility on the oline and that picking him with the 59th pick seemed like a good idea.

And low and behold the Colts liked his versatility and used the 59th pick to draft him.

You know what?    Brain cramp on my part!

Somehow I thought this was the thread that said "Let's draft a tackle"....     Not a thread about Jack Mewhort.

DOH!!     :slaphead:

This is what I get when my head gets trapped too far up my ***!

Sorry about that!    Thanks for setting me straight!      :loco:

I like the pick.  They say he can play tackle, guard or center.  So if holmes doesn't work out, they can put him at center, but i have high hopes for holmes.  It definitely adds depth to the OL incase of injuries.  The last thing we need is for andrew luck to get injured. I want to see a good running game for once.  We haven't had one since Addai and i believe Bradshaw or Ballard can definitely have 1000 yards rushing.  With Mewhort versatility, i highly doubt he would have been on the board in later rounds.

You know what?    Brain cramp on my part!

Somehow I thought this was the thread that said "Let's draft a tackle"....     Not a thread about Jack Mewhort.

DOH!!     :slaphead:

This is what I get when my head gets trapped too far up my ***!

Sorry about that!    Thanks for setting me straight!      :loco:

No need to apologize, I was just confused.

I'm starting to warm up to Jack.  He is battle tested and just because the word versatile is attached to his name doesn't necessarily mean that he can't grow into a dominant force at one position while being proficient at others.

In fact, combined with Nixon and Thomas the Colts O-line is going to be quite flexible. 

As a franchise we addressed maybe not the most popular position, but in terms of protecting the franchise (Luck) this pick is far beyond justifiable.  I remember way too many times last season where Luck was In serious danger of getting hurt. 

With Dwayne Allen's return I expect our power-set to be greatly improved.  This will help Trent as well.

Also, in an indirect way our receivers will benefit too. 

To improve protection is a win-win-win situation depending on one's perception.  You really can't argue that.

The Mewhort pick puts a fire under Nixon. Had high hopes for him but he must have them nervous.

That normally happens when someone else doesn't rightly pat a person on the back first. ;)

He dug the thread up himself.

I have no problem with that, I was just joking. When you nail something like this, you deserve to gloat a little bit.

go away.

This is why all real draft forums don't let you bump threads for "I told you so"s

We should follow suit.

To be fair, you were quite bombastic and definitive in your statement. You didn't even provide any reason or analysis as to why. What do you expect?

Both Mike Mayock and coach Urban Meyer explained why he would be worth it. Not you though.

To be fair, you were quite bombastic and definitive in your statement. You didn't even provide any reason or analysis as to why. What do you expect?

Both Mike Mayock and coach Urban Meyer explained why he would be worth it. Not you though.

Yeah and it was 2 months ago. Bringing up these threads to say I told you so is dumb and shows how small people feel.

And where's his analysis?

I just found out about him today watching a video on NFL.com never heard of him before but Mayock said that he is a versatile guy he plays tackle but and went to the combine and played tackle and offensive guard and at his pro day that had him playing center now mayock said hes a mid to late 2 round pick he I fell like our o-line could use this versatility and he could be a great draft choice heres the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331937/article/mayock-hyde-shazier-solidify-firstround-status-in-nfl-draft

Good call on the pick.  Obviously Grigs agreed with you.

Except that he doesn't.

Mewhort was announced by the NFL as a guard.

So what? The OP did not assert he was going to play tackle or Guard or Center.

The OP said that our Oline could use his versatility and that he could be a great draft choice.

Grigson OBVIOUSLY agreed.

haters-gonna-hate-and-funny-picture-2188

Needed more often. That may soften the tone of some of our members. Being corrected & criticiqued after doing something wrong is the way of life. ;)

Except we have no idea whether I was right or not. I hope I was wrong but you have no clue if I was.

So what? The OP did not assert he was going to play tackle or Guard or Center.

The OP said that our Oline could use his versatility and that he could be a great draft choice.

Grigson OBVIOUSLY agreed.

haters-gonna-hate-and-funny-picture-2188

You missed my response to another poster, Coffeedrinker, back up the thread at post #17.

I acknowledged that I made a complete mistake.  

I thought this was the thread where the OP was talking about drafting a tackle.    It's not.

I agree with you.   Grigson likes Mewhort's versatility.    In fact,  he loves it!

Sorry for the trouble.....

You missed my response to another poster, Coffeedrinker, back up the thread at post #17.

I acknowledged that I made a complete mistake.  

I thought this was the thread where the OP was talking about drafting a tackle.    It's not.

I agree with you.   Grigson likes Mewhort's versatility.    In fact,  he loves it!

Sorry for the trouble.....

Forgive me for completely missing it.