Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BIG-ish Trade during FA?

GoColtsGo5150

Do you see us somehow making a BIG-ish trade during FA?

for a few years there have been a few trades during FA ( as we saw last year with Percy Harvin to the Seahawks and Anquan Boldin to the 49ers.)

Personally, I hope we can resign Vontae today before we make any trades. I feel positions like Oline and Safety can be filled during FA whereas WR and maybe LB and Dline can be filled through the draft. 

That being said- some people we could look at trading for is the #2 CB position. 

some names could be like: Jimmy Smith ( Ravens)

Morris Claiborne ( Cowboys)

Prince Amukamara (Giants)

To name a few.

Let me know your thoughts on whether a big-ish trade for us will happen or not and if so who could be a target.

Morris Claiborne is a BUST & TRASH

He better not ever have a horseshoe on his helmet

Yes, he's been a bust, but he has talent. How much of his poor play was due to injuries and that Kiffen scheme? I'm not saying we should trade our 2 for him, but I wouldn't mind a late rounder. Dallas is going to want more than that though.

Sometimes guys just need a change of venue to succeed. Does the name Tim Jennings ring a bell?

Yes, he's been a bust, but he has talent. How much of his poor play was due to injuries and that Kiffen scheme? I'm not saying we should trade our 2 for him, but I wouldn't mind a late rounder. Dallas is going to want more than that though.

Sometimes guys just need a change of venue to succeed. Does the name Tim Jennings ring a bell?

Not to mention that cornerback is probably the hardest transition from college to the pros. I would totally give up a 5th rounder for him.

Eh, I'll give you the injury part. But the scheme no. He's bad in man coverage. The entire Dallas defense is bad in coverage but as a CB, you're covering someone man to man at least 85% of the time and Claiborne just can't do that. You'd think him covering Bryant in practice would help but guess not

Honestly i believe Vontae got a little better from covering Reggie in practice. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating

I would replace AV not because he cant do it anymore but because we need a stronger kicker from beyond 50 yards.

If we're kicking more 50+ yard field goals, then that means offense isn't doing it's job. So no, we don't need a kicker like that

Not to mention that cornerback is probably the hardest transition from college to the pros. I would totally give up a 5th rounder for him.

A 5th rounder for Claiborne? With the minimal risk level of a 5th rounder, heck yeah...so would I.

The funny thing is that before the 2012 draft, when fans were agonizing over whether we should keep Manning or draft Luck....perhaps the player most heavily mentioned by the "keep Peyton and trade the #1 pick" crowd was none other than Morris Claiborne.

Yes, Claiborne is still young, but it's appearing more and more that he, to some extent, rode into the NFL on the coat tails of fellow LSU CB Patrick Peterson....at least to the lofty draft day status he enjoyed. And that is being kind.

Re-writing history is always a sketchy proposition.....and I don't mean to mutate this into a Manning versus Luck thread..... but after the thorough beating Peyton and Denver took in this year's Super Bowl, I can't come up with a scenario that has me believing the Colts would have won another Super Bowl with a collection of young undeveloped talent led by a thus-far disappointing Claiborne, and a continuing cap crunch by virtue of a stratospheric contract paid to an aging Peyton Manning.

I'm glad we did what we did then.

But....as things have played out....I'd gladly trade a 5th rounder for Claiborne's "potential". That deal, however, would also require Jerry Jones to admit a draft day blunder.

I'm not holding my breath.

If we're kicking more 50+ yard field goals, then that means offense isn't doing it's job. So no, we don't need a kicker like that

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible comment. We are going to be in a LOT of situations where we need to kick 50+ yard field goals. If new kickers like Justin Tucker have taught us anything, it's that a long, accurate FG kicker is a game changer. I wouldn't mind drafting one in the sixth or 7th round if AV left if he could kick long field goals accurately.

I'm just focused on Davis and AV right now..

Hoping for a Bradshaw resign down the road.. Same with Sergio.

And praying for T.J Ward in free agency..

Ward ids better in coverage than Bethea, but we'd still be stuck with two SSs. This coming from a huge Ward fan who has provided me with some of my favorite hits of all-time, like this one.

Eh, I'll give you the injury part. But the scheme no. He's bad in man coverage. The entire Dallas defense is bad in coverage but as a CB, you're covering someone man to man at least 85% of the time and Claiborne just can't do that. You'd think him covering Bryant in practice would help but guess not

Honestly i believe Vontae got a little better from covering Reggie in practice. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating

Dallas plays a soft cover 2, as far as I know. I know he's not very fast but I don't know how he's looked in man. I remember him saying he wasn't 'school smart' after blowing the wonderlic. Maybe he just can't get the Kiffin scheme. His injury history concerns me more than that.

I'm not campaigning for him but if Dallas really wants to give up on him I wouldn't mind having him. As long as the compensation is later round.

Ward ids better in coverage than Bethea, but we'd still be stuck with two SSs. This coming from a huge Ward fan who has provided me with some of my favorite hits of all-time, like this one.

Byrd is better in coverage then ward not sure how you get that ward is better. Byrd is like a top 2 coverage safety in the NFL.

I know we traded A.Q. Shipley for a 7th, but I also believe we traded our 7th, I think it was for Cam Johnson or something. Either way, I think we only have the 7th from Baltimore.

Didn't we get a 7th from Dallas in the Caesar Rayford trade?

Do you see us somehow making a BIG-ish trade during FA?

for a few years there have been a few trades during FA ( as we saw last year with Percy Harvin to the Seahawks and Anquan Boldin to the 49ers.)

Personally, I hope we can resign Vontae today before we make any trades. I feel positions like Oline and Safety can be filled during FA whereas WR and maybe LB and Dline can be filled through the draft. 

That being said- some people we could look at trading for is the #2 CB position. 

some names could be like: Jimmy Smith ( Ravens)

Morris Claiborne ( Cowboys)

Prince Amukamara (Giants)

To name a few.

Let me know your thoughts on whether a big-ish trade for us will happen or not and if so who could be a target.

Morris Claiborne?  The guy who scored a "4" on his Wonderlic? He probably needs a daily refresher course on how to tie his shoes.

Morris Claiborne?  The guy who scored a "4" on his Wonderlic? He probably needs a daily refresher course on how to tie his shoes.

Yes, that's Bustborne. Ruining LSU's reputation as DB University. People are so starved for a number 2 corner they'll take anything I guess. I'd take any of the top 10 CB's in this draft over Morris.

Tim Jennings had 4 years in Indy as for Morris has only been in dallas for two years. Tim Jennings last two years in indy he was pretty average with what he had done in chicago based off of total tackles each season. only one year has he had more then 4 INT's and that was in 2012 when he had 9. so i would say that Jennings had started coming around in his final two seasons in indy. cant expect a DB to average 90+ tackles a year as a corner. 

CBs in Detroit face megaton in practice all the time and they are still pretty bad