Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison To Be At The Los This Sunday

a06cc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mackey was apparently even more important to his generation than Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates are today. Considering that virtually nobody would even put Dallas in the same class as Gonzalez or Gates, it's hard me for the think that he is more important than Mackey.

With all due respect, I believe you're grossly understating both Clark's abilities and the lowly opinion others have of them. He is a pro bowl caliber tight end and has put up wide receiver type numbers throughout much of his career. He's in somewhat of a slump but that does nothing to erase his past production.

For the most part, I agree with you. In addition, I respect and admire your historical point of view. On this point, however, we shall agree to disagree.

I was thinking that Edge was already in the ring of honor, as I was at the game where he was honored at length....Colts vs. Seahawks 2 seasons ago. I guess that must not have been an official induction.

I remember that. Last slide said "See you soon in the ring of honor." Don't think active players/coaches go there.

With all due respect, I believe you're grossly understating both Clark's abilities and the lowly opinion others have of them. He is a pro bowl caliber tight end and has put up wide receiver type numbers throughout much of his career. He's in somewhat of a slump but that does nothing to erase his past production.

For the most part, I agree with you. In addition, I respect and admire your historical point of view. On this point, however, we shall agree to disagree.

No problem of course. Bear in mind that I love Dallas and would be utterly delighted to see him make the HOF. The comparisons - even amongst players of the same era - are subjective and inconclusive (as anyone who has ever been assaulted during a Manning/Brady debate can attest).

The thing with Clark is that he is a hybrid. In other words I'd be more than happy to say that "for a tight-end, he's the best slot receiver in football". What he does well, he does exceptionally - but he isn't an above average in-line tight-end by any stretch of the imagination. Comparing him against a player who has a different role on his respective team is probably pointless - much less comparing him to a player from when the style of play was entirely different.

No problem of course. Bear in mind that I love Dallas and would be utterly delighted to see him make the HOF. The comparisons - even amongst players of the same era - are subjective and inconclusive (as anyone who has ever been assaulted during a Manning/Brady debate can attest).

The thing with Clark is that he is a hybrid. In other words I'd be more than happy to say that "for a tight-end, he's the best slot receiver in football". What he does well, he does exceptionally - but he isn't an above average in-line tight-end by any stretch of the imagination. Comparing him against a player who has a different role on his respective team is probably pointless - much less comparing him to a player from when the style of play was entirely different.

Great point! However, the days of the true tight end are all but gone. Eldridge is a decent example of your true tight end. He'll never put up Dallas Clarkesque numbers but he blocks like a lineman and can catch the ball. Clark really is more of a slot receiver and, when asked to block, he demonstrates why that is. It has become something of a lost art.

Great discussion!

I get it but how do you justify not retiring the numbers of your all-time leaders at their respective positions? This is a storied franchise and these guys (those I mentioned) represent the best to ever play for it. Some teams have non-retirement policies in place for jersey numbers. The Colts aren't one of those teams. If you're not going to make it a policy not to do it then I can't understand not doing it for these guys.

I didn't like seeing Mike Hart in #32 but, at least, he seldom played and was a guy I could root for. Marvin's been gone for 3 years and no one has touched his number. Those are BIG shoes to fill. A number is more than just a number. When you think of #88 for the Colts, you immediately think of Harrison. Same with #32 and #18 for James and Manning. These are iconic players. I can say "#18 killed the Jags last Sunday" and you would instantly know that I meant Manning. For that matter, fans of other teams would know that I meant Manning. We've had the privilege of watching some amazing, hall of fame caliber players. It just seems that we should honor them appropriately. I'm rambling now. :yay:

that also shows me anothr thing. Other QBs that come into the NFL, or are here already, rarely touch the number 18 because everyone knows number 18 is a legend. if they do, its got to be a heavy number. how horrible a player you really are. its amazing. because even all the elite QBs in the nfl admire Peyton. peyton has respect for other elite QBs, But doesnt admire them. Those are completely different. If you take or use the jeresy number 18, you only have an added burden to your career.

[*MOD EDIT*. .. DON'T ... insert gun joke here]

I doubt it's Ring of Honor time yet. They would promote that. Use it to sell tickets because "Come see the Colts play" isn't doing it in 2011.

But Marvin SHOULD go in. Marvin and Peyton.

Everyone else, no.

Sell out every game so far...Still a waiting list of about 10.000 for season tickets....FYI

its says this month not necessarily this week! But cool.

Here is irsays exact tweet.

"The mystical,reclusive,fantastic Mr. Marvin Harrison will return 2 town this month 2 stroll the fields of Lucas! #18 may even chuck1 2him!"

Is Irsay referring to a beer? Otherwise he has lost his mind

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest mistake in the history of this franchise letting that player go. One of the best receivers in NFL history and a SB champion!!!

Nah, I'd say it was a smart move. He was slowing down considerably. I remember one play, after a big reception, a defender chased down Harrison from behind and the announcer said the Marvin of old would have made that a TD. Then having come off Harrison's season-long injury, the very first reception he had he fumbled. And if that doesn't sell you on his diminished skills, no other team in the league took a chance on him despite his record-setting numbers. He was old and washed up. He was great for us, but like all players, it was time to move on and let someone young step into his place (and save money!)

Biggest mistake in the history of this franchise letting that player go. One of the best receivers in NFL history and a SB champion!!!

It was the right decision. The guy was no where near as explosive as he once was and he was making way to much money given his production. He just was not the Marvin we all knew anymore and you are not going to continue to pay him like he was. I realize how much he did for this team and we all thank him for it, but you do not hurt the team for sentimental reasons.

Marvin still hates the Colts for what they did but I think most of the disdain is toward Polian. Marvin, healthy, would have had another 2 years with us but injuries and Polian cut all that short. Make no mistake, those wounds will take a long time to heal but Marvin will be honored to be in the "Ring Of Honor" at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Marvin still hates the Colts for what they did but I think most of the disdain is toward Polian. Marvin, healthy, would have had another 2 years with us but injuries and Polian cut all that short. Make no mistake, those wounds will take a long time to heal but Marvin will be honored to be in the "Ring Of Honor" at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Marvin hates the Colts? I don't believe that.

I get it but how do you justify not retiring the numbers of your all-time leaders at their respective positions? This is a storied franchise and these guys (those I mentioned) represent the best to ever play for it. Some teams have non-retirement policies in place for jersey numbers. The Colts aren't one of those teams. If you're not going to make it a policy not to do it then I can't understand not doing it for these guys.

I didn't like seeing Mike Hart in #32 but, at least, he seldom played and was a guy I could root for. Marvin's been gone for 3 years and no one has touched his number. Those are BIG shoes to fill. A number is more than just a number. When you think of #88 for the Colts, you immediately think of Harrison. Same with #32 and #18 for James and Manning. These are iconic players. I can say "#18 killed the Jags last Sunday" and you would instantly know that I meant Manning. For that matter, fans of other teams would know that I meant Manning. We've had the privilege of watching some amazing, hall of fame caliber players. It just seems that we should honor them appropriately. I'm rambling now. :yay:

You are definitely right, and I would also like to see their names retired. I never want to see another Colts QB wear the #18, or a Colts WR wear #88. Same goes for Edge's #32. These are the 3 best players at each position in our franchise's history, and they all played together and put together an incredible run. Hopefully each guy gets inducted into the Hall of Fame someday. Granted, Manning and Harrison are shoe-in's, but I would love to see Edge get in too. It would be an awesome moment for all Colts fans.

And in regards to Marvin coming to the game, that is great news! Give him the proper ovation that he deserved, he is my all-time favorite Colt and is one of the best WR's to ever play the game. Marvin the Great!!!

That's not really fair.

John Mackey was hands down the best tight end of his generation. He revolutionized the position, and was only the second tight end ever elected to the hall of fame - an automatic no-brainer of a decision.

Dallas Clark at his best has only been one of the top five in the league at any given time. The number comparison doesn't mean much at all the way the game has changed. I love Dallas, but he isn't exactly a lock for the hall of fame.

I didn't realize that the Colts had not retired Mackey's number. If it does get retired, I would certainly hope that it will be done with both players names and accomplishments equally recognized. Ignoring the Baltimore past is offensive to those of us who have been Colts fans since before the move.

By the way, it's a given that Peyton's number will be retired. I can't imagine a reason for failing to do so. I also feel that Harrison's number is worthy of retirement. I view him as an all-time great. Edge on the other hand is not. Great player for the Colts obviously, but also not remotely a lock for the hall of fame. He was only an elite back for his first 2 years, and that isn't nearly enough for "all time" consideration. Can you imagine how different this Colts run would have been if he hadn't hurt his knee (and I don't mean that necessarily in a good way - if he stayed healthy Mora might not have been fired, the defense might not have changed, Freeney wouldn't be a Colt, and the Colts might have meandered on as a team with "triplets", but not necessarily an MVP QB who could change history.)

I agree with your sentiments. Mackey played in a different era that had much less emphasis on the pass whereas Clark has played in a wide open passing attack with rules modified since Mackey's time to help the passing game. Mackey also helped to setup and direct was is now the NFL Players Association. I believe he is one of the greatest Colts players in history and I would hate to see #88 retired for any player other than Mackey.

Would people feel differently if another player came down the pike for the Colts, was given #18, played well throughout his Colts career and had #18 retired in his name instead of Manning?

You are definitely right, and I would also like to see their names retired. I never want to see another Colts QB wear the #18, or a Colts WR wear #88. Same goes for Edge's #32. These are the 3 best players at each position in our franchise's history, and they all played together and put together an incredible run. Hopefully each guy gets inducted into the Hall of Fame someday. Granted, Manning and Harrison are shoe-in's, but I would love to see Edge get in too. It would be an awesome moment for all Colts fans.

And in regards to Marvin coming to the game, that is great news! Give him the proper ovation that he deserved, he is my all-time favorite Colt and is one of the best WR's to ever play the game. Marvin the Great!!!

Some would argue that Johnny Unitas was our best QB ever and you may even get a few votes for Bert Jones. Lydell Mitchell and Lenny Moore was also very good RBs. We have a long list of good/great WRs also - Roger Carr, Raymond Berry, Raymond Chester, Willie Richardson, John Mackey, heck even Andre Rison.

While I believe Manning, Harrison and James are very good players, at least include those I mentioned above (and I know I left out some good former Colts) in the conversation.

Some would argue that Johnny Unitas was our best QB ever and you may even get a few votes for Bert Jones. Lydell Mitchell and Lenny Moore was also very good RBs. We have a long list of good/great WRs also - Roger Carr, Raymond Berry, Raymond Chester, Willie Richardson, John Mackey, heck even Andre Rison.

While I believe Manning, Harrison and James are very good players, at least include those I mentioned above (and I know I left out some good former Colts) in the conversation.

The players you mentioned had no where near the stats of Manning, James and Harrison. Not even close. It's laughable how low their production was compared to the Triplets.

The players you mentioned had no where near the stats of Manning, James and Harrison. Not even close. It's laughable how low their production was compared to the Triplets.

What;s laughable is you really thinking there could be a valid one to one comparison. Different eras, different rule. Stats alone do not mean a heck of a lot. For instance, Terry Bradshaw only completed 50% of his pass and had almost as many interceptions as td passes. Yet he dominated during his time as a QB and won 4 SBs and is in the HOF. Compare his stats to a lot of today's QBs and they pale, yet he, IMO, is a far greater player than most of this era players.

What;s laughable is you really thinking there could be a valid one to one comparison. Different eras, different rule. Stats alone do not mean a heck of a lot. For instance, Terry Bradshaw only completed 50% of his pass and had almost as many interceptions as td passes. Yet he dominated during his time as a QB and won 4 SBs and is in the HOF. Compare his stats to a lot of today's QBs and they pale, yet he, IMO, is a far greater player than most of this era players.

Pitt won those SB's because of their Defense. Not Bradshaw. There is a reason why Bradshaw is not top 10 QB's of all time. Stats matter, for HOF they matter, and for comparisons they matter.

To say that stats don't mean anything is ridiculous. They might not indicate anything as far as sucesss and winning, but to determine ranks and skill, stats are very important.

Pitt won those SB's because of their Defense. Not Bradshaw. There is a reason why Bradshaw is not top 10 QB's of all time. Stats matter, for HOF they matter, and for comparisons they matter.

To say that stats don't mean anything is ridiculous. They might not indicate anything as far as sucesss and winning, but to determine ranks and skill, stats are very important.

I agree with you about Bradshaw, but don't be so eager to dismiss players from previous generations. Believe it or not, Bert Jones could do pretty much anything that John Elway could do - but at that time reaching 3,000 yards was an accomplishment. Not because players were physically incapable of playing pitch and catch - drop Bert Jones and Roger Carr onto this years Colts and I'm absolutely confident that it would be bombs away, with some spectacular numbers, and a LOT of wins - it's just that the game keeps changing, and there were less games back then as well! That's one of the reasons that I don't want to see the league bump the schedule to 18 games. It is just so frustrating to see all the season statistics rendered meaningless overnight.

In short, the worth of statistics is in evaluating players from a given era against each other. If you don't think that Johnny Unitas was one of the absolutely top QBs of all time, you need to do a little bit more reading.

I loved Marvin on the field, but from everything I've read about his behavior off the field, the only ring he belongs in is the Ring of Dishonor.

from what i read the only thing marvin did was not allowing some wanna be gangster from entering his sports bar...and when said wanna be gangster had a problem with that, marvin took matters into his own hands. i have zero problem with that. of course i could have to story totally screw up.

What ever come of his criminal case? Money scoop that one under the carpet too?

Hard to have a case when the witness ends up getting killed.

To me Marvin is a prime example of how fans really have no clue about these players. Everyone spouted off how he was just this mild mannered type guy, but back home in Philly he was known as this tough, take no crap from anyone guy from the streets. Its like everyone who came running to the defense of Manning when stories of his extra marital affairs popped up. Everyone said Manning would never do that type of thing and acted like they knew him intimately.

We have no clue who these guys are because we are just fans.

To number28 you got to be careful with stats becuase they can be manipulated and are misleading. For example, in the Eagles/Giants the RDE for the Eagles froced Eli up in the pocket because he beat the LT so bad and then Eli stepped right into the grasp of the LDE. The LDE gets the stat of one sack, but the RDE was just as important on that play as the guy who actually got the stat.

Comparing eras is one of the worst things fans do. Looking back at guys like Unitas and saying they do not hold a candle to today guys completely ignores modern medicine, modern training, modern travel, and everything that the today athlete gets. Gale Sayers career would have been even more amazing given modern medicine.

I all ready see it in kids today who never saw Jordan and actually argue modern people like Wade are better. When we are old and gray it will happen to Manning as well.

Not really...he was done as can be proved by the fact no one else signed him after we did. I loved Marvin, one of my all-time favorites and hated to see him go but he was done. It was painfully clear in his last season here he had nothing left.

I do agree with your last part though about him being one of the greatest receivers in the history of the NFL in fact other than Rice I think he was the best.

Bradshaw got 4 superbowl wins and relatively weak stats, H.OF. Manning, Mr. Stat man, 1 superbowl win. Are they even?